Advertisements


You got a match! With a cyber-criminal

The past decade has brought digitization into practically every aspect of our lives and communication has probably transformed the most......»»

Category: techSource: thestandard thestandardFeb 14th, 2020

You got a match! With a cyber-criminal

The past decade has brought digitization into practically every aspect of our lives and communication has probably transformed the most......»»

Category: techSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 14th, 2020

Broken

The Philippine National Police’s complaint of sedition/inciting to sedition, cyber libel, libel, obstruction of justice, and harboring a criminal against lawyers, priests, Vice-President Leni Robredo, and several opposition candidates for senator in last May’s elections is likely to make it to the courts. If it does, it will be one more instance that critics of… The post Broken appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsAug 4th, 2019

CIDG sues Robredo, LP, bishops for sedition over Bikoy videos

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – The Philippine National Police Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) has complaints of inciting to sedition, cyber libel, libel and obstruction of justice against Vice President Leni Robredo and 35 others mostly belonging to Liberal Party and their staff, over the viral Bikoy videos ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 19th, 2019

P100-M DAMAGE: Peco sues councilors, two others for falsification, cyber-libel

By: Francis Allan L. Angelo PANAY Electric Co. (Peco), the sole power distributor in lloilo City, wants two councilors, a Malacañang appointee, and a daughter of a former justice secretary and congressman to pay P100 million in damages for allegedly besmirching its reputation. The P100-million damage claim is included in the criminal case Peco filed […] The post P100-M DAMAGE: Peco sues councilors, two others for falsification, cyber-libel appeared first on Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsJun 27th, 2019

Match-fixing back in spotlight on eve of first Grand Slam

JUSTIN BERGMAN, Associated Press   For Rafael Nadal and the other stars of tennis, there's a familiar ring to the questions being raised as the first ball is about to be struck at the Australian Open. Recent match-fixing sanctions and a new case are bringing fresh scrutiny to the integrity of the sport a year after corruption allegations cast a pall over the first Grand Slam of the year. '(It's) obviously negative, always in the first month of the season starts to happen,' Nadal said at the season-opening Brisbane International. 'You get tired about this kind of stuff, but the most important thing is fight against these kinds of things.' The headlines started appearing early in the new year. On Jan. 5, police in Australia charged an 18-year-old player with a match-fixing offense at a lower-tier tournament last October in Traralgon, near Melbourne. Days later, another Australian player, Nick Lindahl, now retired but once ranked in the top 200, was handed a seven-year ban and $35,000 fine from the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) for offering to throw a match at a minor tournament in the city of Toowoomba in 2013. Lindahl had already been fined after a criminal trial. Two other Australian players received lesser punishments in connection with the incident. While Traralgon and Toowoomba are far removed from the glittering lights of Melbourne Park, the timing of the developments was troubling nonetheless. Last season began similarly beneath a cloud of suspicion after a report by BBC and Buzzfeed alleged that tennis authorities had suppressed evidence of match-fixing and failed to investigate possible cases of corruption. The reports went over old ground, but the timing and the headlines overshadowed the tournament. 'I haven't heard anything (about match-fixing) since last year's Australian Open,' German player Mischa Zverev told The Associated Press last week in Brisbane. 'I think it was funny timing. ... Like the day before the Oscars, they're going to bring something up to make somebody not win it, or win it.' Since then, tennis leaders have gone into overdrive to restore confidence in the sport. An independent panel was created to review the TIU, the internal body tasked with combating corruption, and authorities promised to implement all of its recommendations when it is completed this spring. The TIU also took separate steps to strengthen its monitoring and investigation efforts, develop new anti-corruption education programs for players, and improve the transparency of its operations. In an email statement to The AP, the agency said nine players and officials were sanctioned last year for match-fixing — the most for a single year since the unit was established in 2008. Several were banned for life, including a young South African player and four officials from Turkey and Uzbekistan. The unit also expanded its outreach efforts with betting operators and regulators, leading to increased reporting of suspicious wagers. In 2016, the TIU received 292 betting alerts — an 18 percent increase over the previous year. The vast majority of those came from the Challenger and Futures circuits on the men's tour, considered the most at-risk for match-fixing given the lower likelihood of detection and the smaller earnings of the players. However, the TIU said three alerts were generated at Grand Slam events, as well. The agency was quick to note, though, that an alert isn't necessarily proof of match-fixing. Of the more than 114,000 matches played last year on the professional tours, only 0.2 percent triggered a suspicious betting alert. 'Tennis was one of the first major sports to recognize the potential threat of betting-related corruption and do something about it,' the TIU said. 'It will be for the independent review panel to take a view on the conduct and effectiveness of the unit and to put forward recommendations to improve the current structure and approach.' Whatever the investigators recommend, the fact remains the TIU faces an uphill battle. Technology has shifted the gambling landscape in such a way, it's increasingly difficult for monitors to keep up. In tennis, wagers aren't just placed on who wins or loses; bets can be placed during matches in real time on everything from total points won in a game to whether a set goes to a tiebreak. 'We're talking individual player activities here,' said Hans Westerbeek, dean of the College of Sport and Exercise Science at Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia. 'It's much easier to get into a situation where you approach individual players to do things that can be, if done well, quite well hidden from it being suspicious.' He likens it to the ongoing battle against performance-enhancing drugs. 'You're always struggling to keep up with the innovations that a better-resourced front of gambling operators, legal or illegal, will have available to advance their technology.' Ryan Rodenberg, an associate professor of forensic sports law analytics at Florida State University, says this is one reason a more sophisticated approach is critically needed. He recommends an internal monitoring system that analyzes each match for suspicious activity in real time, rather than relying solely on betting alerts. 'A robust betting data-monitoring operation would have both in-house capabilities and a number of collaborative information sharing agreements with third parties such as sportsbooks, private monitoring firms or academics,' he said. 'Anything less is sub-optimal.' With a limited budget of just $3.23 million for 2017, however, there is only so much the TIU can do. As such, preventative measures such as education have become a priority. More than 25,000 players and officials have completed the TIU's online anti-corruption training program, and a new version will be launched that players will be required to complete every two years. 'Educating players who are up-and-coming and those who support those players is a very good, positive and necessary thing to do,' Westerbeek says. 'Because the root of the problem is ... people not really (understanding) they're engaging in criminal activity.' ___ AP Sports Writer John Pye contributed to this report. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 13th, 2017

UP s Ricci Rivero lauds Juan Gomez de Liano, Thirdy Ravena for Gilas showing

Speaking of his fellow UAAP stars Juan Gomez de Liano and Thirdy Ravena in Gilas Pilipinas' match against Indonesia last Sunday, the UP Fighting Maroon couldn't help but laud their performance......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated News2 hr. 4 min. ago

PNP to step up drive vs POGO-related crimes

The Philippine National Police vowed yesterday to launch an intensified crackdown on criminal syndicates operating within Philippine offshore gaming operator firms as it announced the rescue of two Chinese nationals just the other day in Pampanga......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated News19 hr. 51 min. ago

Dominguez questions ABS-CBN ad account

Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III, President Duterte’s campaign finance manager during the 2016 elections, said ABS-CBN’s account of unaired political ads did not match with what the campaign team experienced......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated News19 hr. 51 min. ago

MPBL: Bacoor survives Gen San to advance to South semis

BASILAN -- Second seed Bacoor City carved its way to the 2020 Chooks-to-Go/MPBL South semifinals after a 69-60 triumph over seventh-ranked General Santos-Burlington, Monday at the Lamitan Gymnasium here. Up by just five points in the final frame, Bacoor's Nick Demusis converted a three-pointer and ignited a 10-4 offensive attack to give his squad an 11-point cushion, 69-58, with 2:03 left in the game. Mikey Williams brought it back to single digits for General Santos after a perfect trip to the line, 50-68, but it wasn't enough for the Warriors to salvage the game. "Yung start namin offensively medyo hindi namin nagustuhan yung nangyayari e, so we have to pick it up. Tapos nung second half, tinaasan lang namin yung energy, we're not the most talented team in the league pero yung effort namin that counts twice e," said Oping Sumalinog. Sumalinog spearheaded the attack for Bacoor with 16 points founded on three triples on top of three rebounds and four blocks. Nick Demusis added 11 points and four boards of the bench while Gab Banal had nine points, seven assists, three rebounds, two steals, along with four turnovers. Meanwhile, Celiz top-scored General Santos with 22 points laced with five rebounds, two assists, two steals, and two blocks. Pamboy Raymundo and Williams were held to just nine and eight points, respectively. Bacoor will face the winner of the Basilan-Iloilo quarterfinals match-up in the South semis. The Scores: Bacoor City (69) -- Sumalinog 16, Demusis 11, Banal 9, Mabilac 8, Canete 7, Melencio 7, Montuano 6, Pangilinan 5, Ramirez 0, Acuna 0, Aquino 0, Ochea 0, Destacamento 0. General Santos-Burlington (60) -- Celiz 22, Goloran 10, Raymundo 9, Williams 8, Cabanag 4, Orbeta 2, Grospe 2, Mahaling 2, Masaglang 1, Basco 0, Bautista 0, Baltazar 0. Quarterscores: 17-16, 33-33, 57-52, 69-60......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsFeb 25th, 2020

Weinstein found guilty of sexual assault, rape

NEW YORK, USA – Disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein was convicted Monday, February 24, of sexual assault and rape but cleared of the most serious predatory sexual assault charges. The jury of 7 men and 5 women found the producer guilty of criminal sexual acts in the first degree ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsFeb 24th, 2020

3 Chinese face kidnap raps

Police filed criminal charges yesterday against three Chinese believed to be members of a loan shark ring who allegedly kidnapped their compatriot in a casino in Parañaque City over the weekend......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 24th, 2020

FIBA: What s next for Gilas Pilipinas after road win vs. Indonesia?

Gilas Pilipinas' road to the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup is officially underway following Sunday's road win against Indonesia. What's next for the Philippines now though? Gilas' next official game will be in nine months. The Philippines will take on longtime nemesis South Korea on the road on November 27. The Korea game will officially kick off the second window for Gilas as the national team will be in Thailand on Nov. 30 to battle the Thais. By February 2021, Gilas will be at home, hosting Indonesia on Feb. 18. Finally, on Feb. 21, Gilas Pilipinas will end the FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers with a grudge match against South Korea in Manila. Gilas' one and only home game in 2020 is also on the horizon. The Philippines was supposed to host Thailand last Feb. 20 at the Big Dome but the game was cancelled for a later date due to the novel coronavirus outbreak. "Whenever that game is, we're definitely gonna be ready," Mark Dickel said on the cancelled Thailand game, which is part of his original assignment as interim head coach of the national team. "SBP, MVP, everybody is totally committed to making this thing work. We're not gonna be unprepared," Dickel added. There's no official announcement from FIBA yet regarding the new Gilas-Thailand showdown in Manila. — Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsFeb 24th, 2020

PARTIES TO CYBERATTACK CASES REACH AGREEMENT

From the joint statement: "As defendants have no prior knowledge of, much less consented to, the use of IPC’s and Suniway’s respective cyber-infrastructure for the perpetration of these cyberattacks, defendants commit to support a free press. Effective mechanisms to combat such attacks shall further be improved to prevent a repeat of this kind of situation.".....»»

Category: newsSource:  pinoyweeklyRelated NewsFeb 24th, 2020

Filipino pug loses world title match

Las Vegas, United States--Filipino boxer Jeo Santisima failed in his bid to win a world boxing title when he lost to World Boxing Organization super-bantamweight world champion Emanuel Navarrete......»»

Category: sportsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 24th, 2020

Ronaldo marks 1,000th game with record-equaling goal

  ROME, Italy – Cristiano Ronaldo scored for a record-equaling 11th consecutive Serie A game in his 1,000th professional match as Juventus extended their league lead with a 2-1 win over basement club SPAL on Saturday, February 22 (Sunday, February 23, Philippine time). The 35-year-old tapped in 6 minutes before the break ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsFeb 23rd, 2020

ERCO Bro booters rout Don Sacredale, 4-0, in Aboitiz Football Cup match

CEBU CITY, Philippines — ERCO Bro tightened its grip of the top spot after routing Don Sacredale, 4-0, in the continued action of the Men’s Open Division I of the 21st Aboitizland Football Cup, Sunday, February 23, 2020 at the JH Football Field of the Sacred Heart School-Ateneo de Cebu (SHS-AdC) in Barangay Canduman, Mandaue […] The post ERCO Bro booters rout Don Sacredale, 4-0, in Aboitiz Football Cup match appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 23rd, 2020

2 criminals slain in Maguindanao clash

Two suspected members of a criminal group were killed in an alleged encounter with government security forces in Datu Paglas, Maguindanao on Friday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 23rd, 2020

Bicol revives MPBL semis hopes

Bicol-LCC Stores pulled the rug from under top seed Davao Occidental, 84-81, to forge a rubber match in the 2019-2020 Chooks-to-Go/MPBL Lakan Season quarterfinals Friday night at the Batangas State University Gym......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 22nd, 2020

Makoto FC to take on USJR in Sunday’s match

CEBU CITY, Philippines – Action resumes in the Men’s Open Division 1 of the 21st Aboitizland Football Cup with Makoto FC taking on University of San Jose Recoletos (USJ-R) in the first match tomorrow, Sunday, February 23, 2020, at the J.H Football Field of the Sacred Heart School-Ateneo de Cebu (SHS-AdC) campus in Canduman, Mandaue […] The post Makoto FC to take on USJR in Sunday’s match appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 22nd, 2020

Digong magtuturo ng criminal law pag-alis sa Palasyo

POSIBLENG magturo ng criminal law si Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte pagkatapos ng kanyang termino sa 2022......»»

Category: newsSource:  abanteRelated NewsFeb 21st, 2020