Advertisements


Russian cyberfirm Kaspersky appeals ban in US court

SAN FRANCISCO, USA – Embattled cyber security firm Kaspersky Lab said on Monday, December 18, that it is asking a federal court to overturn a ban on its products being used by US agencies. Allegations that Moscow-based Kaspersky, which sold more than $600 million of anti-virus software globally in 2015, knowingly or unknowingly ........»»

Category: newsSource: rappler rapplerDec 19th, 2017

Russian doping ban appeals rejected

The Court of Arbitration for Sport on Tuesday rejected a challenge made by 17Russian rowers against their exclusion from the Rio Olympics over doping, a tribunal official told AFP......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 3rd, 2016

Court of Appeals justice named to Comelec

President Duterte has appointed Court of Appeals Associate Justice Socorro Inting as the newest member of the Commission on Elections......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated News17 hr. 11 min. ago

CA again stops suspension of 4 ERC commissioners

MANILA, Philippines – The Court of Appeals (CA) on Friday, April 13, issued a preliminary injunction against the one-year suspension order covering all 4 Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) commissioners , issued by the Office of the Ombudsman. It was last February when the CA issued a temporary restraining order (TRO) against ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 16th, 2018

Russian court rules to block Telegram messaging app

MOSCOW, Russia – A Moscow court on Friday, April 13, ruled to block the popular messaging app Telegram in Russia, after it refused to give state security services access to private conversations, an AFP reporter at the court said. The Roskomnadzor telecoms watchdog, which brought the case, had earlier demanded ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 13th, 2018

BIR ordered to refund nearly P900M to PAL

THE Court of Tax Appeals (CTA) ordered the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to refund Philippine Airlines, Inc. (PAL) nearly P900 million in taxes on jet fuel imports. In a 23-page decision dated April 3, the CTA Third Division ruled in favor of PAL, which had maintained its importation of Jet A-1 fuel from February […] The post BIR ordered to refund nearly P900M to PAL appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 8th, 2018

Fans dance as India court grants bail to Bollywood superstar Salman Khan

NEW DELHI (AP) --- A court on Saturday granted bail to Bollywood superstar Salman Khan while he appeals his conviction on charges of poaching rare deer in a wildlife preserve two decades ago, a welcome development for thousands of fans who greeted their hero with songs and firecrackers. Khan was convicted Thursday and sentenced to five years in prison and was immediately sent to jail. On Saturday, Judge Ravindra Kumar Joshi ordered him to sign a surety bond of 50,000 rupees ($770) before he was set free from the jail in Jodhpur, a town in western India. Hundreds of Khan's overjoyed fans danced outside the courtroom and chanted "We love you, Salman." His sisters, Alvira and Arpi...Keep on reading: Fans dance as India court grants bail to Bollywood superstar Salman Khan.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 8th, 2018

Russian regulator moves to block Telegram messaging app

MOSCOW, Russia – Russia's telecoms watchdog on Friday, April 6, asked a Moscow court to block the popular messaging app Telegram after the expiry of a deadline for it to give the state security services access to private conversations. The lawsuit is the latest move in an ongoing battle between authorities ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 6th, 2018

Lindsay Lohan loses Grand Theft Auto appeal

NEW YORK — New York State’s highest court on Thursday rejected Lindsay Lohan’s appeal accusing the maker of Grand Theft Auto V of invading her privacy, concluding that video game characters that the actress said were based on her did not resemble her. By a 6-0 vote, the state Court of Appeals called Take-Two Interactive […] The post Lindsay Lohan loses Grand Theft Auto appeal appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsApr 2nd, 2018

Mikey Arroyo cleared of tax evasion

By Minde Nyl R. dela Cruz THE Court of Tax Appeals (CTA) on March 21 acquitted former Ang Galing Pinoy Party-list Representative Juan Miguel “Mikey” M. Arroyo of three tax evasion cases following the prosecution’s “failure to prove his guilt beyond reasonable doubt.” Mr. Arroyo, the son of former president and now Pampanga Representative Gloria […] The post Mikey Arroyo cleared of tax evasion appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMar 29th, 2018

Tax court acquits Mikey Arroyo in P27-M tax evasion case

MANILA, Philippines – The Court of Tax Appeals (CTA) has acquitted former Pampanga 2nd District representative Juan Miguel “Mikey” Arroyo in his P27 million tax evasion case. The court said it found insufficient the investigators' dependence on a computation method to charge the son of former president ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMar 28th, 2018

CA upholds dismissal of Bulacan State University officials over field trip tragedy

MANILA, Philippines – The Court of Appeals (CA) has upheld the dismissal of Bulacan State University (BSU) officials over their liabilities in a field trip tragedy in 2014 that cost the lives of 7 students. The CA's 4th Division affirmed the decision of the Office of the Ombudsman that the BSU officials, led ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMar 28th, 2018

CA upholds dismissal of Bulacan State U execs over drowning of 7 students

The Court of Appeals (CA) has upheld the 2015 decision of the Office of the Ombudsman ordering the dismissal from government service of the president of the Bulacan State University and eight other officials and teachers after they were found guilty of gross neglect of duty for the death of seven students who drown while crossing a river during a school field trip in San Miguel, Bulacan almost four years ago.       In a 24-page decision, the appeals court's 4th division through Associate Justice Jose Reyes, Jr., said the Ombudsman is correct finding the school officials and teachers guilty of gross neglect of duty when they endorsed and approved the field trip ...Keep on reading: CA upholds dismissal of Bulacan State U execs over drowning of 7 students.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 28th, 2018

Tax court acquits Arroyo’s son of tax evasion

THE Court of Tax Appeals (CTA) First Division has acquitted the son of former president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on tax evasion charges. Former Rep. Juan Miguel “Mikey” Arroyo was accused of failing to file his income tax return (ITR) for 2007 and of failing to supply correct and accurate information on his ITRs for 2004 and [...] The post Tax court acquits Arroyo’s son of tax evasion appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsMar 28th, 2018

Sinot petitions CA to review court barring him from office

BAGUIO CITY — Roger Sinot Sr., Baguio’s first Indigenous People’s representative to the city council who was barred by the local courts from taking his seat filed a petition for a review of the lower courts’ order at the Court of Appeals on March 19......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsMar 27th, 2018

Supreme Court affirms CA’s 2006 ruling upholding PAL retrenchment program

THE SUPREME COURT en banc voted 7-2 to favor Philippine Airlines (PAL) in its 20-year dispute with the Flight Attendants and Stewards Association of the Philippines (FASAP) over the flag carrier’s retrenchment program. In a 55-page resolution penned by Associate Justice Lucas P. Bersamin, the SC affirmed an Aug. 23, 2006 Court of Appeals (CA) […] The post Supreme Court affirms CA’s 2006 ruling upholding PAL retrenchment program appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMar 27th, 2018

United States court upholds landmark ‘Blurred Lines’ copyright verdict

NEW YORK — A US appeals court upheld Wednesday a landmark $5.3-million verdict that Robin Thicke’s hit “Blurred Lines” lifted from Marvin Gaye, dismissing warnings that many more artists could face lawsuits. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco made its 2-1 ruling largely on procedural reasons, saying it had no legal grounds […] The post United States court upholds landmark ‘Blurred Lines’ copyright verdict appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMar 22nd, 2018

Early dismissal ordered in all courts due to transport strike

Acting Chief Justice Antonio Carpioon Mondayordered an early dismissal in all courts in view of the transport strike. Aside from the Supreme Court, covered by the order are the Court of Appeals, Sandiganbayan, Court of Tax Appeals and the trial courts. He however required the frontline office of the courts to maintain a skeleton force. /je...Keep on reading: Early dismissal ordered in all courts due to transport strike.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 19th, 2018

ICC appeals to PH: Don’t leave

The International Criminal Court (ICC) on Friday urged the Philippines "not to follow through its reported intention to withdraw" from the Rome Statute, the treaty that established the ICC, and warned that quitting the court would have no impact on ongoing proceedings.   But Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said Teodoro Locsin Jr., the Philippine permanent representative to the United Nations, had already submitted to the office of UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres the note verbale containing President Duterte's decision as of 6:07 a.m. Manila time, Friday (6:07 p.m. New York time, Thursday).   The formal notice was sent just two days after Malacaang is...Keep on reading: ICC appeals to PH: Don’t leave.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 17th, 2018

EDITORIAL - A real tell-all?

Janet Lim Napoles is smiling these days. Last year her conviction for serious illegal detention of her cousin was overturned by the Court of Appeals......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 17th, 2018

Venus, Halep win, Wozniacki upset at Indian Wells

By Beth Harris, Associated Press INDIAN WELLS, Calif. (AP) — Venus Williams defeated Anastasija Sevastova of Latvia 7-6 (8), 6-4 to reach the quarterfinals of the BNP Paribas Open on Tuesday as the oldest woman in the draw. The 37-year-old American was coming off a straight-set victory over younger sister Serena a night earlier, ending a three-match skid against her sibling. "It was a quick turnaround from last night when it feels like, 'Hey, this is a final to you're only in the fourth round,'" Williams said on court. Playing under cloudy skies in 80-degree heat, Williams had her hands full with Sevastova, who used drop shots, top spin, lobs and jerked her 10-years-older opponent side to side. "There were some points where she just played and it was too good," Williams said. "I thought I was in control of the point and winning the point, and she turned it around. It's just real talent." After early losses in her first two tournaments of the year, Williams hasn't dropped a set at Indian Wells, where she has yet to reach the final in six previous appearances. Awaiting Williams in the quarterfinals is 27th-seeded Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain, who beat American wild card Danielle Collins 6-2, 6-4. Simona Halep is on track to retain her No. 1 world ranking after defeating Wang Qiang of China 7-5, 6-1 in the fourth round. Halep is the only former Indian Wells winner left in the women's draw after No. 20 Daria Kasatkina upset No. 2 Caroline Wozniacki 6-4, 7-5. Wozniacki blew a 3-0 lead in the first set and was on the run most of the match before losing for the second time this year to the 20-year-old Russian. "She outsmarted me," Wozniacki said. By reaching the quarterfinals, Kasatkina is projected to surpass her career-best ranking of 17th. She has beaten all four current Grand Slam titleholders in the past year, including U.S. Open winner Sloane Stephens in straight sets this week. "I'm playing best matches against the best players," Kasatkina said. "But as I say, if you want to be on the top, you have to beat the top players. So quite simple rule." Halep improved to 17-1 this year and needs only to reach the final to stay at the top. Next up for Halep is Petra Martic of Croatia, who beat Marketa Vondrousova of the Czech Republic 6-3, 7-6 (4). American teenager Amanda Anisimova's run of success ended in a 6-1, 7-6 (2) loss to No. 5 seed Karolina Pliskova of the Czech Republic. Anisimova, a 16-year-old wild card, won her first three WTA Tour matches at Indian Wells, beating Pauline Parmentier, No. 23 seed Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and two-time Wimbledon winner Petra Kvitova without dropping a set. "She's 16, so she's not scared," Pliskova said of Anisimova. "You can see she's hitting the ball without thinking. But everybody is playing like this when they are 16. I think this will change a little bit in the future, but for sure the game is good and not really any weakness. I think everything is pretty solid." Pliskova faces a quarterfinal against Naomi Osaka, who beat Maria Sakkari of Greece 6-1, 5-7, 6-1. Halep attended Venus Williams' straight-set victory over 36-year-old sister and new mother Serena on Monday night. "I love the way that they are motivated and they are still playing at this age, Serena with the kid," Halep said. "It's a great thing what they do for sport, and it's great that tennis has them. I have many things to learn from them. That's why I'm trying just to go in to watch every time I can." On the men's side, Gael Monfils retired in the second set with a back injury trailing fellow Frenchman Pierre-Hughes Herbert 6-2, 3-1. Monfils used an eight-minute injury timeout in the second set to get his back worked on before returning to the court and getting broken in fourth game. He then walked to the net and ended the match. Herbert moved on to a fourth-round matchup with Philipp Kohlschreiber of Germany, who upset No. 2 seed Marin Cilic 6-4, 6-4. Cilic won 19 of 23 points on his first serve, but failed to convert four break points against 31st-seeded Kohlschreiber, who snapped a 12-match skid against top-10 opponents. Herbert remains in contention for the $1 million bonus offered to a player who sweeps the singles and doubles titles. No. 6 Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina defeated No. 29 David Ferrer of Spain 6-4, 7-6 (3) for the fifth straight time. With Cilic, Ferrer, Novak Djokovic, Monfils and John Isner all eliminated from his quarter of the draw, things are looking wide open for del Potro, the 2009 U.S. Open champion. Top-ranked Roger Federer and del Potro are the highest seeds remaining. "I'm not thinking about that. I just want to keep winning," del Potro said. "Still far away from the final, but of course, any chance to play with Roger would be great." Del Potro's countryman, Leonardo Mayer, beat Japanese qualifier Taro Daniel 6-4, 6-1. Mayer next plays del Potro. No. 18 Sam Querrey rallied past Indian qualifier Yuki Bhambri 6-7 (7), 6-4, 6-4 and will play No. 28 Feliciano Lopez of Spain. He spoiled a potential all-American quarterfinal by beating No. 8 Jack Sock 7-6 (8), 4-6, 6-4. No. 32 Milos Raonic of Canada defeated Joao Sousa of Portugal 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 and will meet Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus, who beat lucky loser Dudi Sela of Israel 7-6 (7), 6-4......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMar 14th, 2018