Advertisements


Putin says will seek new six-year term – Manila Video

Russian President Vladimir Putin says he would seek a new six-year term in the country’s March elections in a move that would extend his rule to 2024. “I will offer my candidacy for the post of president of the Russian Federation,” he said at the GAZ factory in Nizhny Novgorod, surrounded by workers. source link: Putin says will seek new six-year term – Manila Video.....»»

Category: newsSource: manilainformer manilainformerDec 7th, 2017

No program, no debate but Putin cruising to poll win

MOSCOW: Running with a lacklustre slogan, no program and refusing to debate his opponents, it sometimes seems like Russian President Vladimir Putin is not campaigning for re-election at all. But it is unlikely to matter for the 65-year-old strongman who is cruising towards victory and a historic fourth Kremlin term in next month’s election, with [...] The post No program, no debate but Putin cruising to poll win appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsFeb 16th, 2018

Putin says Russians will reject opposition ‘coup’ at annual press conference

Russian President Vladimir Putin said the opposition was hoping for a “coup”, during a marathon press conference that marked his first major public appearance since announcing he would seek a new six-year term in elections next year. #BeFullyInformed Putin says Russians will reject opposition ‘coup’ at annual press conference Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday… link: Putin says Russians will reject opposition ‘coup’ at annual press conference.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 15th, 2017

Putin seeks new term as Russia president in March vote

MOSCOW, Russia – Russian President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday, December 6, said he would seek a new six-year term in the country's March elections in a move that would make him the longest-serving Russian leader since Joseph Stalin. Putin, who has been in power for the past 18 years, is expected ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 6th, 2017

TDF offer hiked to P110 billion

MANILA, Philippines — The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) has raised the volume of the term deposit facility (TDF) for the third straight week this year as.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 16th, 2018

Tear-jerking iPhone X short film goes viral in time for Chinese New Year

  MANILA, Philippines - Apple’s latest viral marketing video to promote the iPhone X is a hit among the Chinese, according to a report from ad news publication  Adweek . It was released earlier in the month, just in time for Chinese New Year festivities in China, ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsFeb 12th, 2018

Mayor Estrada declares final run in 2019 to restore Manila’s ‘old glory’

MAYOR Joseph “Erap” Estrada announced on Monday that he would seek a third and last term in the 2019 mid-term elections. “Nobody can change my inspiration, no one can divert me on my mission, on my dream in Manila. I had already laid down my program of government to regain the lost pride and glory [...] The post Mayor Estrada declares final run in 2019 to restore Manila’s ‘old glory’ appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsFeb 5th, 2018

UnionBank launches P20-B LTNCD offer

MANILA, Philippines — Abotiz-led Union Bank of the Philippines is the first bank to issue long term negotiable certificates of deposits (LTNCDs) this year wh.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 31st, 2018

‘Build Build Build’ to increase NG debt

National government debt—which ballooned to P6.65 trillion last year—will see a short-term increase as the Duterte administration implements an ambitious infrastructure program, the Finance department said on Wednesday. “In the short-term, the government’s ‘Build Build Build’ program may exert upward pressure on the debt stock,” Finance Undersecretary Gil Beltran said in an economic bulletin. In [...] The post ‘Build Build Build’ to increase NG debt appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJan 31st, 2018

Navalny arrested as thousands rally against Putin and ‘pseudo-polls’

MOSCOW: Russian police on Sunday (Monday in Manila) detained opposition leader Alexei Navalny in Moscow as thousands rallied across the country against a March election expected to extend Vladimir Putin’s Kremlin term. Heeding a call by Putin’s bete noire, thousands braved freezing temperatures to stage rallies in dozens of cities to protest upcoming “pseudo-elections,” as [...] The post Navalny arrested as thousands rally against Putin and ‘pseudo-polls’ appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsJan 29th, 2018

Goodbye BBL, Hello Federalism

COTABATO CITY – For the third time around, majority Christian lawmakers in the House of Representatives are expected to reject the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law or BBL being pushed by the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, which signed an interim peace deal with Manila in 2014. Instead of BBL, lawmakers are now pushing for a federal form of government and President Rodrigo Duterte is also strongly advocating the shift to federalism, an advocacy he made even before when he was the mayor of Davao City. Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque also said Duterte’s priority now is to change the form of current government and this can only be achieved through amendments in the Constitution which lawmakers are currently working on. There was also a proposal to hold a plebiscite next year in time for the mid-term elections for Filipinos to decide whether to accept or reject federalism. But there are also many lawmakers who wanted to cling to power and extend their term of office until 2022 when voters would have to choose their leaders in national elections. BBL Duterte has previously backed the BBL and expressed optimism that the draft law will pass the scrutiny of Congress that previously opposed it – during Arroyo and Aquino’s presidency. But Duterte himself has been campaigning for BBL and federalism even before he won the presidency in 2016. And his political allies in Congress are supporting the proposed shift from the current presidential system to federalism, and not the BBL. The MILF, whose ageing leaders, called for the passage of BBL may be overridden by Duterte’s plans to grant regions autonomy through federalism. It said the administration of Duterte should immediately work for the passage of the BBL where the Aquino government left off. It stressed that the negotiation is completed following the signing of the Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro (FAB) and the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro (CAB) between the MILF and government peace panels. Politicians questioning the BBL said the provisions in the draft law remain the same.  Zamboanga City Representative Celso Lobregat, who was one of those who opposed the BBL during the Aquino administration citing unconstitutional provisions in the draft law, is again raising the same issue. Unconstitutional In a previous statement, Lobregat made it clear, he will be vigilant and consistent with his stand with regards to the BBL. “I am for peace, I am not anti-peace, but we need a Bangsamoro Basic Law that is just, that is fair, that is acceptable, feasible and more importantly, it should not be contrary to the Constitution and existing laws,” he said. He said the BBL which the Bangsamoro Transition Commission submitted to Duterte still contains the same and even more contentious and questionable provisions. “Among the contentious provisions in the present version of the BBL is that there will be six plebiscites – one for ratification of the law, and second the periodic plebiscite every 5 years for a period of 25 years in the cities, municipalities and other geographic areas outside the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao which did not join the Bangsamoro after the ratification of the BBL,” Lobregat said. Lobregat, who was also former mayor of Zamboanga City, said Memorandum of Agreement on Ancestral Domain (MOA-AD) was the predecessor of the old BBL filed during the previous 16th Congress. The MOA-AD was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 2008 describing the process that led to its crafting as “whimsical, capricious, oppressive, arbitrary and despotic.” He said the MOA-AD and the BBL have similar provisions, with some unconstitutional and controversial provisions. “Instead of promoting peace, there will be a constant tug of war on the political boundaries that will promote instability. The Bangsamoro will try to expand its area of jurisdiction and in turn, the local government adjacent, surrounding or neighboring the Bangsamoro will also fight tooth and nail in order to retain their territory,” Lobregat said. Lobregat said he will again be active and vigilant in the committee deliberations, plenary debates and caucuses to ensure that the interest of Zamboanga City and the rest of Mindanao are protected. Davao del Norte Representative and House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez, Duterte’s ally in the lower chamber, said the country’s push for federalism has almost the same concept of the BBL. “The BBL will be absorbed by the federal form of government, because that’s the same. The concept of BBL is the same in federal form of government,” he said, suggesting an amendment in the Constitution. “How can you implement the provisions of the BBL without amending the Constitution? You cannot do it because there are provisions in the BBL that run contrary to the provisions of the Constitution,” said Alvarez. MILF’s rival group, the Moro National Liberation Front under Nur Misuari, has strongly opposed the government peace talks with the MILF, citing a 1996 peace accord with Manila. And Misuari, who eventually became government of the Muslim autonomous region, is now facing rebellion charges for deadly attacks in Sulu’s Jolo town and in Zamboanga City in 2001; and another raid in 2013 in retaliation to government’s failure to fully comply with the peace agreement. Under the accord, Manila would have provided a mini-marshal plan in the restive region and livelihood and housing facilities for thousands of MNLF rebels. Misuari, a close friend and political ally of Duterte, also wanted to become a perpetual regional governor. He is also […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsJan 27th, 2018

Going gaga over K-pop: How a BTS superfan left home to live where her heroes are

One BTS superfan fell in love with the boyband so much, she crossed a great distance just to be closer to them. Scotland native Stephanie Fairfield took her fangirling to the next level when she decided to leaveher home country and move to Seoul, South Korea. The 23-year-old BTS fan remembered how her love for the seven-member boyband started, when she stumbled upon their song "No More Dream" on Youtube. "I watched the video and from that moment I was hooked. It's thanks to BTS I'm here," Fairfield said in an interview with BBC. Since moving in October, she has seen BTS twice. But Fairfield admitted that being in the "Army" (the term used to refer to the boyband's fanbase) is...Keep on reading: Going gaga over K-pop: How a BTS superfan left home to live where her heroes are.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 21st, 2018

VLOG: LAST WEEK HOME BEFORE TAKING OFF TO MANILA – Manila Video

Thank you for watching guys! I’m back in Manila and ready for a new year! It was so good to be back home and spend some time with family and friends! I’m also happy to be back in Manila and rock this year! I hope you enjoyed the video and see you next week! Ciaoooo!… link: VLOG: LAST WEEK HOME BEFORE TAKING OFF TO MANILA – Manila Video.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJan 12th, 2018

Pangilinan warns of 10-year term extension for Duterte

MANILA, Philippines — Sen......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 4th, 2018

New Year’s Eve Fireworks Manila 2018 – Manila Video

Wishing everyone a happy safe New Year’s! source link: New Year’s Eve Fireworks Manila 2018 – Manila Video.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJan 1st, 2018

Now on 6th team in 5-year PBA career, Justin Chua hopes to settle in with Phoenix

MANILA, Philippines - Justin Chua is heading into his fifth year in the PBA but has yet to find a long-term home. He's played for so many squads since entering the league that it's understandable that he's lost count already. “Bilang ko 5 yata kasi I ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 28th, 2017

Maine Mendoza Bakit Dapat Iboto, Manalo at ang Metro Manila Film Fest Entry sa 2018 – Manila Video

Once again Maine Mendoza and the whole nation will prove to the world kung bakit siya ang tinaguriang Phenomenal Star To cap off the year with a bang, aba todo campaign ngayon ang nation para Entertainment Spy Peoples Choice Awards Nominated kasi si Meng sa mga categories like Female Celebrity, Trend Queen, Twitter Account and… link: Maine Mendoza Bakit Dapat Iboto, Manalo at ang Metro Manila Film Fest Entry sa 2018 – Manila Video.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 28th, 2017

South Korea prosecutors seek 12 years jail for Samsung heir Lee in corruption case

South Korean prosecutors sought a 12-year jail term on Wednesday for Samsung Electronics Vice Chairman Jay Y. Lee, in a corruption case that led to the ouster of the nation’s president earlier this year......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsDec 27th, 2017

Traffic to get even worse

Traffic in Metro Manila is bound to get worse before it gets better, as the government rolls out its infrastructure projects meant to ease road congestion in the third quarter of 2018. "There are many projects next year that are part of the 'Build, Build, Build' program ... that will simultaneously [start construction by this time] till the end of President Duterte's term. For us to have better infrastructure, we need to go through heavy traffic. So we have to keep our patience up," Transport Undersecretary for Roads Tim Orbos said on Tuesday. Among the big-ticket projects scheduled next year are the construction of several bridges, the rehabilitation of Guadalupe Bridge, and the c...Keep on reading: Traffic to get even worse.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 27th, 2017

‘Sunday beauties’ revisited

A year after Baby Ruth Villarama's documentary, "Sunday Beauty Queen (SBQ)," made history in the Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) for winning best picture, the trials and triumphs of its lead stars, a bunch of feisty and fearless Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) in Hong Kong, continue to unfold. In a way, a documentary never really ends, as its main characters' stories---and struggles---go on in real life, 24-7. Villarama told the Inquirer that the docu's stars (Leo Selomenio, Rudelie Acosta, Cherrie Marie Bretana, Mylyn Jacobo and Hazel Perdido) have become instant celebrities among their colleagues and compatriots in Hong Kong and Manila. "Some Filipino tourists seek them...Keep on reading: ‘Sunday beauties’ revisited.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 24th, 2017

‘UST PASKUHAN’

Students at the University of Santo Tomas in Manila cross their lightsabers during the school’s ‘Paskuhan’ Christmas revelry on Wednesday. Thousands flocked to a Christmas rock concert that ended the first term of the academic year. PHOTO BY DEEJAE DUMLAO The post ‘UST PASKUHAN’ appeared first on The Manila Times Online. Source link link: ‘UST PASKUHAN’.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 22nd, 2017