Advertisements


Palace to UNHRC: We have been proactive in looking at HR abuses

        Malacaang insisted on Saturday that government does not need to be called out to investigate the country's human rights situation as it has been proactive in looking into cases of abuses particularly on its war on drugs.     Sought for comment regarding the recent call by the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) against the government, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that the government has been doing its job on the issue of human rights.     "Nasabi ko na sa inyo na may imbentaryo kami nung mga napatay diumano sa giyera laban sa droga para malaman namin kung talagang nasunod ba ang tamang pro...Keep on reading: Palace to UNHRC: We have been proactive in looking at HR abuses.....»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerJun 23rd, 2018

‘We prosecute people who violate human rights,’ says Palace

MANILA, Philippines --- Malacaang Palace disputed on Monday the remark of Sen. Risa Hontiveros calling President Rodrigo Duterte the "single biggest threat to human rights" in the Philippines. Contrary to criticisms of alleged rising human rights abuses under the Duterte administration, the President respects human rights, presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a Palace briefing on Monday. "Of course. We've been saying so and we have shown it. We prosecute people who violate human rights," he said. Earlier on Monday, Hontiveros issued a statement to commemorate International Human Rights day, saying that the "President has singlehandedly rolled back human rights s...Keep on reading: ‘We prosecute people who violate human rights,’ says Palace.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 10th, 2018

Reds promoting violence not Duterte – Palace

      It is the communist rebels who are promoting violence and not President Rodrigo Duterte, Malacaang said Friday, following fresh calls from left-leaning groups for the Chief Executive to resign due to the increasing rights abuses in the country.   "There is nothing new and surprising about the leftist group's latest call for the President to step down. It has called for the very government's ouster since time immemorial anyway," Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement.   Panelo said the renewed call for the President to resign was "merely part of the continuing propaganda war waged by Jose Maria Sison and the Commun...Keep on reading: Reds promoting violence not Duterte – Palace.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 26th, 2018

PH election to UN rights committee draws praise, flak

The Philippines has been elected to the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) despite rights groups' complaints that a government widely condemned internationally for a brutal war on drugs doesn't belong in a group meant to call out abuses. The country's election on Friday through an uncontested balloting in the UN General Assembly "puts pressure" on the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte to "address numerous allegations of rights violations," the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) said. Fierce lobbying ahead of the vote by Iceland against Manila's inclusion fell short with the Philippines making it to the 47-member council along with 17 other new members. Malac...Keep on reading: PH election to UN rights committee draws praise, flak.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 14th, 2018

PH says seat at U.N. rights body validates drug war

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang on Saturday, October 13, claimed that the country's reelection to the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) is a recognition that the government respects human rights and does not tolerate abuse by those in authority. Newly-appointed Palace Spokesperson Salvador ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 13th, 2018

Palace: Law, court rulings acknowledge martial law abuses

The Palace on Monday said that the law as well as court decisions are clear that there were grave human rights violations during martial law, contrary to claims by former Sens. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. and Juan Ponce Enrile last week......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 24th, 2018

Gov’t still trying to recover Marcos ill-gotten wealth — Palace

The Philippine government is still pursuing efforts to recover the ill-gotten wealth amassed during the 20-year Marcos regime, Malacaang said on Wednesday. Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said efforts to recover the wealth are still ongoing through the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG). "Efforts to recover any ill-gotten wealth continue through the Philippine Commission on Good Government," Roque said in a statement. "Likewise, human rights victims were given compensation through the Human Rights Victims' Claims Board. The government will continue to find ways and means to effect closure for all victims of abuses that occurred during that period of martial law...Keep on reading: Gov’t still trying to recover Marcos ill-gotten wealth — Palace.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 22nd, 2018

Ask for forgiveness, Palace tells Church

MALACANANG yesterday called on the Catholic leadership in the Philippines to ask for forgiveness for abuses committed by priests and ensure reparation to victims. Presidential spokesman Secretary Harry Roque made the call after President Rodrigo Duterte in a speech last week questioned the wisdom of God and the creation, even….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsJun 25th, 2018

Hontiveros to Duterte admin: Heed 38 countries’ call to stop killings

The Duterte administration should heed the call of 38 nations under the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) to stop and probe the killings in its drug war, opposition Senator Risa Hontiveros urged on Monday. In a statement, the Akbayan senator said she welcomed the UNHRC's call to the Duterte administration to end the drug war killings and cooperate with international bodies in investigating human rights abuses. READ: 38 nations ask PH: Stop killings, probe abuses "I am happy that more and more countries are adding their voice in the fight to end the climate of killings and impunity in our country," she said. She dubbed as "ridiculous" Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan P...Keep on reading: Hontiveros to Duterte admin: Heed 38 countries’ call to stop killings.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 25th, 2018

Palace: PHL not withdrawing from UN rights council

Unlike treaty ally, the United States, the Philippines has no plans to withdraw from the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) which has been increasingly critical of President Rodrigo Duterte’s anti-illegal drugs policy, his spokesperson said Thursday. Source link link: Palace: PHL not withdrawing from UN rights council.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJun 22nd, 2018

PH leader won’t do a Trump — Palace

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte won’t do a Trump and withdraw the Philippines from the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) . Duterte may have spoken against the UNHRC on several occasions but Malacañang said the Philippine government will not follow the United States government and withdraw from the council. In a….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsJun 21st, 2018

Palace: Pay hike to make cops more professional

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang on Saturday said the approved pay hike for cops will make policemen “more professional” amid allegations of abuses in the co.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 13th, 2018

Observations of Filipino UN rapporteurs ‘very partisan’– Palace

The Palace on Friday dismissed the warnings of two United Nations special rapporteurs of human rights abuses on indigenous peoples because of continued martial law rule in Mindanao, claiming their observations were heavily partisan. “Both of them, who are Filipinos, should be more circumspect on their statements. They were elected to their present posts at… link: Observations of Filipino UN rapporteurs ‘very partisan’– Palace.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 30th, 2017

Observations of Filipino UN rapporteurs ‘very partisan’– Palace

The Palace on Friday dismissed the warnings of two United Nations special rapporteurs of human rights abuses on indigenous peoples because of continued martial law rule in Mindanao, claiming their observations were heavily partisan. “Both of them, who are Filipinos, should be more circumspect on their statements. They were elected to their present posts at [...] The post Observations of Filipino UN rapporteurs ‘very partisan’– Palace appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsDec 29th, 2017

Be fair, Palace urges 2 Pinoy UN rapporteurs

MALACAÑANG yesterday appealed to two Filipino United Nations Human Rights Council special rapporteurs not to embarrass the present administration with claims of supposed human rights abuses against indigenous and internally displaced peoples in Mindanao. Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque in an audio statement made available to reporters pointed out that special….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsDec 29th, 2017

Palace dismisses UN report of abuses amid martial law in Mindanao 

MALACANANG dismissed claims by the United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteurs that the ongoing implementation of martial law in Mindanao to fight terrorism has perpetuated human rights abuses and displaced indigenous peoples (IP). Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque was referring to the report by Victoria Tauli-Corpuz, special rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples, and Cecilia Jimenez-Damary, [...] The post Palace dismisses UN report of abuses amid martial law in Mindanao  appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsDec 29th, 2017

Palace to Pinoy UN rapporteurs: Don’t use your post to shame admin

Malacañang on Friday appealed to two Filipino United Nations Human Rights Council special rapporteurs not to embarrass the present administration with claims of supposed human rights abuses against indigenous and internally displaced peoples in Mindanao.   Source link link: Palace to Pinoy UN rapporteurs: Don’t use your post to shame admin.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 29th, 2017

Palace: Innocent drug war victims will get justice

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has assured justice for the victims of police abuses in his bloody war against the narcotics trade in the country. “Ang mensahe po ng Presidente ay bibigyan po ang lahat ng katarungan. Kung meron pong pruweba na talagang labag sa batas o ilegal ang pagpatay, asahan n’yo….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsDec 25th, 2017

Human Rights Day marked

MALACAÑANG reiterated yesterday President Rodrigo Duterte’s commitment to uplift the lives of Filipinos, especially the poor, marginalized and vulnerable. The Palace made the remark yesterday as the world marked International Human Rights Day. Noting that the Philippines is an active member of the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC), and….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsDec 10th, 2017

HRW ‘blind, deaf and dumb’ -- Palace

MALACAÑANG slammed the Human Rights Watch (HRW) over its "penchant for playing blind, deaf and dumb" after it accused the Philippine government of ignoring alleged abuses under its anti-narcotics drive. "The latest remarks of the Human Rights Watch (HRW) that the Philippine government has not made genuine efforts to seek….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsDec 10th, 2017

Duterte committed to uplift Filipinos’ lives

Malacañang renewed yesterday President Rodrigo Duterte’s commitment to uplift the lives of Filipinos, especially the poor, marginalized and vulnerable. The Palace made the remarks yesterday in observance of the International Human Rights Day. Noting that the Philippines is an active member of the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC), and….....»»

Category: newsSource:  journalRelated NewsDec 10th, 2017