Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Briton falls to death at 2022 Qatar World Cup stadium site

ROB HARRIS, AP Global Soccer Writer A British man fell to his death this week at a World Cup stadium building site in Qatar, where construction conditions have come under sharp scrutiny since the country was awarded the 2022 soccer tournament. The 40-year-old man has not been named by World Cup organizers or the company overseeing the building of the Khalifa International Stadium , which will also host the world track championships in 2019. The contractor, a joint venture between Belgian and Qatari firms, said it was still working with local authorities to establish the cause of Thursday's death. br /> 'The fatal accident took place while the worker was on a suspended catwalk platform designed to manage technical functions relating to sound and light installations,' Midmac-Six Construct said in a statement Friday. 'For unknown reasons one of the lever hoists supporting the platform failed, causing the fall of the worker, who was wearing all his safety equipment, including the safety harness. br /> 'Sadly, the harness was cut during the fall with a fatal outcome. What caused the cut is subject to further investigation.' br /> The stadium, which was first built on the site in 1976, is next to the Aspire sports academy and is described by organizers as 'Qatar's most historic stadium.' br /> 'All parties concerned will carefully review the circumstances of the accident and commit to take any necessary measures that can prevent its recurrence,' Midmac-Six Construct said. br /> Qatar's World Cup organizing committee is also investigating the incident and said it 'shares our deepest condolences with the family for their loss.' br /> Qatar has previously announced the death of four stadium workers, with one fatality the result of a work-related accident. br /> The focus of the scrutiny has been on Qatar's use of a low-paid, migrant workforce to build the sites for the first World Cup in the Middle East, but the organizers are also relying on expertise from Europeans to oversee projects. br /> FIFA, which awarded the World Cup to Qatar in a 2010 vote, said it 'deeply regrets the loss of life' at the stadium. br /> 'It is with great sadness that we send our sincere condolences to the victim's family and colleagues,' FIFA said in a statement. br />   .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

Returning OFWs urged to teach

MANILA, Philippines - The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has urged returning overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who are licensed teachers to become.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

DA readies P1-B worth of post-harvest facilities

The Department of Agriculture (DA) is set to collaborate with the Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA) on a farm mechanization project that aims to improve post-harvest practices of Filipino farmers......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 18th, 2017

Displaced Fontana casino workers seek gov’t help

CLARK FREEPORT, Pampanga, Philippines – Displaced workers of Fontana Leisure Park and Casino owned by Chinese gaming mogul Jack Lam appealed to the governmen.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 18th, 2017

OFW remittances up 18% in Nov

MANILA, Philippines - Remittances from overseas Filipino workers (OFW) grew to $2.4 billion in November last year, aided by steady job orders overseas......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 16th, 2017

A Pinoy who can sing in Japanese

MANILA, Philippines - Overseas Filipino worker Michael David Bodin said he didn’t really expect to win in the singing contest I Can Sing in Japanese.  .....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 15th, 2017

ONE Championship: Bigdash retains title; Catalan, Subora victorious

ONE Championship returned to the Jakarta Convention Center for another evening of world-class mixed martial arts (MMA) action. ONE: QUEST FOR POWER set the tone for what will be an amazing 2017 for ONE Championship with a series of compelling bouts featuring the absolute best in local and international MMA talent. In the main event, ONE Middleweight World Champion Vitaly Bigdash retained his title, defeating top contender “The Burmese Python” Aung La N Sang by unanimous decision after five rounds. div>  /div> div>In the main event of the evening, ONE Middleweight World Champion Vitaly Bigdash of Rostov-on-Don, Russia impressed with a great show of strength in a dominant performance over “The Burmese Python” Aung La N Sang of Myanmar. Throughout the bout, Bigdash kept N Sang at bay with his sharp combinations, while on the mat he connected with multiple elbows. After five rounds of action, it was a clear win for Bigdash who met very little resistance in outlasting the durable N Sang to remain undefeated, retaining his ONE Middleweight World Championship. /div> div>  /div> div>In the co-main event of the evening, 27-year-old Martin “The Situ-Asian” Nguyen of Sydney, Australia authored one of the most spectacular finishes of the evening, stopping Japanese MMA veteran Kazunori Yokota with strikes to win by technical knockout just past the midway point of the first round. Yokota stalked Nguyen, looking to throw combinations but Nguyen timed Yokota with an overhand right that dropped him to the canvas. From there, Nguyen jumped on his foe and rained down punches from the top to earn the stoppage victory. /div> div>  /div> div>Lightweight contenders Vincent “MagniVincent” Latoel and Vaughn “The Spawn” Donayre put on an exciting show for fans in attendance, tagging each other with intense combinations for the majority of the three-round lightweight contest. On the mat, Donayre showcased his grappling skills, threatening with various submissions off his back. Latoel however was more consistent throughout and scored points with his takedowns and cage control. All three judges saw the bout in favor of Latoel to win by unanimous decision. /div> div>  /div> div>The highly-anticipated lightweight showdown between Georgi Stoyanov of Bulgaria and Saygid Guseyn Arslanaliev of Russia ended on an unfortunate note, as the bout resulted in a No Contest ruling. Although Arslanaliev swarmed Stoyanov from the beginning of the bout and completely outclassed the Bulgarian, an ill-advised technical ground kick landed for Arslanaliev and Stoyanov was unable to continue. /div> div>  /div> div>Dutch featherweight standout based in Jakarta, Anthony “The Archangel” Engelen, put on a masterful performance, stopping Malaysian fight veteran A.J. “Pyro” Lias Mansor in under two minutes in the first round of a scheduled three-round bout. Engelen pressed Mansor up against the cage fence with a combination before a beautiful right hand felled Mansor, earning Engelen one of the most spectacular knockouts of his career. /div> div>  /div> div>Fans were treated to an action-packed clash of colossal light heavyweights as Igor Subora of the Ukraine and Sherif Mohamed of Egypt pushed each other to the limit in a tremendous three-round show of determination from both fighters. Subora effectively used his reach advantage to keep the smaller, stockier Mohamed at bay with his boxing throughout the bout. In the third round, both fighters fought through sheer exhaustion to make it to the final bell as Subora did just enough to outlast Mohamed to earn the unanimous decision. /div> div>  /div> div>Local martial arts hero from Jakarta, “The Terminator” Sunoto, brought the crowd to its feet with a riveting performance to defeat Cambodia’s Chan Heng by technical knockout just a little under three minutes into the first round. Sunoto wasted no time in taking the fight directly to Heng, challenging the Khun Khmer practitioner to a striking showdown at the center of the ONE Championship cage. Sunoto however, proved too much for the Cambodian after he gained mount and unleashed the ground-and-pound. /div> div>  /div> div>Unbeaten Indonesian flyweight prospect Stefer Rahardian defeated Jakarta-based Liberian fighter Jerome S. Paye via unanimous decision in the second preliminary bout of the evening. Rahardian showcased tremendous cage-control for the majority of the fight, smothering Paye with a consistent attack that left the Liberian stifled throughout the contest. The 30-year-old Rahardian left very little openings for Paye who just couldn’t get his offense going. In the end, Rahardian had just enough in the tank to complete a comprehensive three-round performance, earning the nod on all three judges’ scorecards. /div> div>  /div> div>Strawweights Rene Catalan of the Philippines and Adrian Matheis of Indonesia kicked off ONE: QUEST FOR POWER with a spirited display of mixed martial arts action, on a bustling Saturday night in Jakarta. After a dominant first round from Catalan, one that saw the Filipino attempt various finishes, the end came swiftly in the second when Catalan was able to execute an armbar to earn the submission victory. /div> div>  /div> div> strong>COMPLETE RESULTS /strong> /div> div>  /div> div>MW Title: Vitaly Bigdash defeats Aung La N Sang by Unanimous Decision /div> div>  /div> div>Featherweight bout: Martin Nguyen defeats Kazunori Yokota by TKO (Strikes) at 3:36 minutes of round 1 /div> div>  /div> div>Lightweight bout: Vincent Latoel defeats Vaughn Donayre by Unanimous Decision /div> div>  /div> div>Lightweight bout: Georgi Stoyanov, Saygid Guseyn Arslanaliev (No Contest) /div> div>  /div> div>Featherweight bout: Anthony Engelen defeats AJ Lias Mansor by Knockout (KO) at 1:42 minutes of round 1 /div> div>  /div> div>Light Heavyweight bout: Igor Subora defeats Sherif Mohamed by Unanimous Decision /div> div>  /div> div>Bantamweight bout: Sunoto defeats Chan Heng by TKO (Strikes) at 2:30 minutes of round 1 /div> div>  /div> div>Flyweight bout: Stefer Rahardian defeats Jerome S. Paye by Unanimous Decision (UD) /div> div>  /div> div>Strawweight bout: Rene Catalan defeats Adrian Matheis by Submission (Armbar) at 2:08 minutes of round 2 /div>.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 14th, 2017
Category: newsSource:  manila_shimbunRelated NewsJan 14th, 2017

Garment firms upbeat on 2017 exports growth

MANILA, Philippines - Manufacturers of local garments and hard goods are bullish on the growth of their exports this year as they seek to tap into more marke.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 14th, 2017

Solar power firms seek industry framework

MANILA, Philippines - The Confederation of Solar Developers of the Philippines (CSDP) is seeking inputs from the National Renewable Energy Board (NREB) for i.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 14th, 2017

Philippines renews calls to Japanese firms to invest

AVAO CITY -- Philippine o........»»

Category: newsSource:  manila_shimbunRelated NewsJan 13th, 2017

Japan-PHL businessmen talk trade as Abe and Duterte strengthen social ties

DAVAO CITY -- Japanese and Filipino businessmen on Friday discussed trade and investment, while the countries’ leaders enjoyed a not-so-typical Filipino breakfast showcasing some of Mindanao’s agricultural bounty......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJan 13th, 2017

‘Comfort women’ seek apology from Japan PM Abe anew

MANILA, Philippines - Surviving Filipino “comfort women” greeted visiting Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe yesterday with an open letter seeking a formal apol.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 12th, 2017

REPRINT: Encounters with Filipino-Japanese mestizos in Davao bring back memories and open windows to Japan’s Past

(First published in Sunday Inquirer magazine, December 1991. Reprinted in DABAW Journal in commemoration of Davao City's 56th Anniversary, 1993 Edition).  In the past, Davao had been every Japanese laborer’s dream destination. Today, Japan is the dream destination of many Filipinos…. Fourteen-year old Arturo Hagio and his companions were preparing breakfast in a poultry farm [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsJan 12th, 2017

One-stop service para sa OFWs binuksan sa 15 probinsiya

Abot kamay na ng mga overseas Filipino workers ang serbisyo ng pamahalaan sa mga One-Stop Service Center for OFWs (OSSCO) matapos na buksan ito sa 15 probinsya sa labas ng Metro Manila......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 12th, 2017

PEZA targets Japan firms in Abe visit

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA) will present investment proposals to big corporations that will accompany Japanese Prime.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 11th, 2017

Filipino winner says unique Japanese singing contest best suited for Pinoys

Filipino winner says unique Japanese singing contest best suited for Pinoys.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsJan 8th, 2017

Gov’t shortlists Japanese bidders for LRT-1 trains

MANILA, Philippines – The government is seeking anew offers from Japanese firms for the supply of 120 new light rail vehicles (LRVs) for the Light Rail Trans.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 31st, 2016

COMMENTARY: The “bagong bayani” of the Philippines

By Titon Mitra Sit at any airport in the Philippines and you can palpably feel the pulse of Filipino migration.  Overseas workers saying goodbye to their loved ones or returning home to be greeted by an ecstatic family.  Every year since 2010, the n.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsDec 30th, 2016

Japanese firms in Philippine 2nd most bullish in Asia, Oceania

MANILA, Philippines – Japanese companies operating in the Philippines are the second most bullish across Asia and Oceania in terms of being profitable this y.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 28th, 2016