Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Bolante cleared in fertilizer fund scam

MANILA, Philippines - The Sandiganbayan anti-graft court has junked the plunder case against former agriculture undersecretary Jocelyn “Jocjoc” Bolante in co.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 12th, 2016

Sandiganbayan junks ex-Agri Usec. Jocjoc Bolante s plunder case

MANILA, Philippines — The Sandiganbayan Special Second Division has cleared former Agriculture Undersecretary Jocelyn “Jojoc” Bolante of his plunder case in.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 12th, 2016

Threat of jailing Arroyo anew cruel

REINA S. TOLENTINOPLACING former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo back in detention over new plunder charges would be oppressive if not cruel, her lawyer Estelito Mendoza said, a day after the now Pampanga representative regained her freedom......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJul 23rd, 2016

Estelito Mendoza: GMA can file case for unlawful detention

Estelito Mendoza: GMA can file case for unlawful detention.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 22nd, 2016

Venus focused on tennis, not age, in record 73rd Grand Slam

JUSTIN BERGMAN, Associated Press br /> MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — One could never accuse Venus Williams of being sensitive about her age. Not the way she keeps making self-deprecating jokes about it at the Australian Open. Case in point: Asked about the Australian great Margaret Court after her third-round win over China's Duan Yingying at Margaret Court Arena on Friday, Williams said she had a letter from the 24-time major winner hung on the wall in her room as a memento. 'It's a congratulations for me being the oldest person in the draw or something like that,' she dead-panned. The 36-year-old Williams fields more than her fair share of questions about her advanced age in the sport, how often she considers retirement, what keeps her motivated after more than two decades on the court. Indeed, she is appearing in her 73rd Grand Slam singles draw — a record for the Open era. And she is the oldest woman in the draw at Melbourne Park, though it should be noted that male players her age, such as Ivo Karlovic and Roger Federer, aren't continuously peppered with the same questions. But rather than show her annoyance, Williams smiles and patiently responds each time, sometimes with a joke. And she's made clear with her play this week that she's still a serious contender — she's reached the fourth round at the Australian Open for the 10th time in her career, and without dropping a set. Against Duan, a player who admitted she'd never seen the seven-time Grand Slam winner play, the 13th-seeded Williams only lost one game. 'Just like every player here, I have put in a ton of work,' Williams said earlier in the week. 'I'm not coming all the way to Australia for kicks and giggles. I'm here as a competitor.' Williams made clear Friday she doesn't want to get dragged into controversies, either. She declined to comment on a remark by a TV commentator during her second-round match when he described her as moving in and charging with what sounded like a 'gorilla' or 'guerrilla' effect. The commentator, Doug Adler, who maintains he said 'guerrilla' — as in, her choice of tactics — but apologized for his poor word choice, was dropped from ESPN's coverage for the rest of the tournament. 'All I can say is it's been a wonderful, wonderful career for me full of positives. That's what I focus on,' said Williams, who hasn't shied away from addressing issues ranging from racism to gender pay equity throughout her career. 'I pay attention and address situations that are noteworthy,' she added, when pressed on the subject. 'That's been my past record, clearly.' What Williams wants to talk about is her tennis. Especially as she continues to win at Melbourne Park, where she's reached the final just once in her career. Her next opponent is another player many years her junior, 26-year-old Mona Barthel, a No. 181-ranked qualifier from Germany. 'It's never enough,' Williams said. 'I've been in the fourth round before. I've tasted it before and it's always a great feeling because it means, hey, I have an opportunity for the quarterfinals. That's what I'm going to go for.' .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 20th, 2017

Former pro wrestler Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka dies at 73

RON TODT, Associated Press   PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Former pro wrestler Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka, who earlier this month was found not competent to stand trial in the 1983 death of his girlfriend, has died at his son-in-law's home in Florida. He was 73. Attorney Robert Kirwan II said Snuka was taken Sunday to the home near Pompano Beach so that he could spend his last moments there. The family informed him shortly after 1 p.m. Sunday to say he had died, Kirwan said. Lehigh County Judge Kelly Banach on Jan. 3 dismissed the murder case against the retired WWE star after the defense said he had dementia, was in hospice care in Florida and had six months to live. Snuka's daughter, Tamina Snuka, also a WWE wrestler, tweeted Sunday afternoon: 'I LOVE YOU DAD' with a hashtag 'RestWell. Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, also a WWE star, called it 'sad news' in a post on his Twitter page. Snuka was charged in 2015 with third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the death of Nancy Argentino, whose body was found more than three decades earlier in their Whitehall Township hotel room. Prosecutors allege she was beaten, while Snuka maintained she died from a fall. Authorities reopened the investigation after The Morning Call newspaper raised questions about the case in 2013. Banach had first ruled last summer that Snuka was not competent to stand trial after his attorney argued the ex-athlete suffers from dementia, partly due to the head trauma sustained over a long career in the ring. Prosecutors countered that Snuka's brain shows normal signs of aging and suggested he might be feigning symptoms. At a hearing last month to re-evaluate Snuka's mental fitness, Snuka's wife told the judge that the family struggles to keep him from leaving home during bouts of psychosis in which he thinks he's late for a wrestling match. Banach then took time to review Snuka's medical records before ruling. Kirwan said Snuka died 'due to complications from his ongoing medical problems.' 'The family is simply heartbroken. It's been a long journey,' he said. 'They are grateful to the judge for dismissing the charges against him.' Snuka wrote about Argentino's death in his 2012 autobiography, maintaining his innocence and saying the episode had ruined his life. 'Many terrible things have been written about me hurting Nancy and being responsible for her death, but they are not true,' he wrote. 'This has been very hard on me and very hard on my family. To this day, I get nasty notes and threats. It hurts. I never hit Nancy or threatened her.' Kirwan said that he believes his client's name will eventually be cleared. Snuka, a native of Fiji who previously lived in Camden County, New Jersey, was known on the wrestling circuit for diving from the ropes and even the top of steel cages in a career that spanned decades. He was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 1996. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 15th, 2017

Thomas will take his 59, and a trophy would be a bonus

div>DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer /div> div>  /div> div>HONOLULU (AP) — Two islands, two big moments to celebrate, and Justin Thomas had to think about which meant more to him. /div> div>  /div> div>He won at Kapalua, but that won't put him in the record book. Winning a PGA Tour event happens 47 weeks out of the year. /div> div>  /div> div>And then on Thursday in the Sony Open, he made a 15-foot eagle putt on the final hole to shoot 59 . That gets him in the record book with the eighth sub-60 round in PGA Tour history. But he still hasn't won the tournament. /div> div>  /div> div>That won't be decided for three more rounds, and history is not necessarily on his side. Of the previous seven sub-60 rounds, only three players wound up winning — Al Geiberger at the Memphis Classic in 1977, David Duval at the Bob Hope Classic in 1999 and Stuart Appleby at the Greenbrier Classic in 2010. Duval and Appleby each shot 59 in the final round. /div> div>  /div> div>So which was the greater feat? Which brought more satisfaction? Winning a tournament or shooting 59? /div> div>  /div> div>'On paper, it would be today,' Thomas said. 'I have a chance to win a golf tournament every week. I don't have many chances to shoot 59.' /div> div>  /div> div>Oddly enough, only when he thought he had a chance did he start thinking he was out of chances at Waialae Country Club. /div> div>  /div> div>Golf's magic number — even though Jim Furyk holds the record with a 58 , any score that starts with 'fifty' is still magic — first crossed his mind when he two-putted for birdie on the par-5 18th to make the turn in 29. /div> div>  /div> div>'As well as I was driving it, I can go shoot 6 or 7 (under) on this side and really, really post history,' he said. /div> div>  /div> div>He birdied the next two holes. On the par-3 fourth, he hit 7-iron to 5 feet for birdie. He was 9 under through 13. And then he started to think that maybe this wasn't going to be his day. Thomas missed a 10-foot birdie chance on No. 5 and still doesn't know how his 30-foot birdie attempt on the No. 7 didn't go in. /div> div>  /div> div>Spieth and Daniel Berger — all of them were born in 1993 and graduated high school in 2011 — were as much into this pursuit as Thomas, if not more. Spieth wrapped his hands around the back of his neck when Thomas didn't make the putt on No. 7. /div> div>  /div> div>'When those didn't go in, I was kind of saying to myself, 'Maybe this isn't meant to be.' I thought some of the things that happened earlier in the day, I was kind of curious if I was going to post a number or if it was just an unbelievable round,' Thomas said. /div> div>  /div> div>He made eight birdies and two eagles. Equally important — maybe even the key shot for him — was a 10-foot par save on the eighth hole. That kept him at 9 under going to the par-5 ninth, his final hole which is 506 yards and easily reachable with a good drive. /div> div>  /div> div>He thought he hit a good drive. It wasn't easy. Instead of clearing a fairway bunker down the left side, Thomas saw it hit top of the bunker. /div> div>  /div> div>'I saw some sand flying and I was ready to punch something,' Thomas said. 'I was pretty upset about that, because I felt like all chances right there were gone.' /div> div>  /div> div>That's when Berger saved the day. /div> div>  /div> div>Berger, who beat out Thomas for PGA Tour rookie of the year in 2015, also was in the bunker. Thomas already was planning to hit wedge out of the sand and take his chances from the fairway. At worst, he shoots 60 or 61. /div> div>  /div> div>But then Berger hit a 4-iron out of the bunker and onto the green. Thomas asked for a 5-iron. /div> div>  /div> div>'This isn't a time for me to lay it up,' he said. /div> div>  /div> div>From 207 yards, with as good a shot as he has hit, Thomas cleared the lip and hit it to 15 feet. Berger was just outside of him, so he got a good read — the putt broke to the right — and he poured it in. /div> div>  /div> div>Thomas joined Duval as the only players to break 60 with an eagle on the last hole. He joined Furyk as the only players to break 60 with a bogey. /div> div>  /div> div>He just wasn't sure what to make of it. This wasn't the stoic Duval fist-pumping his way around the green. Thomas held both arms to the side, and he punched the air with his right fist only after seeing Spieth and Berger celebrating far more than he was. /div> div>  /div> div>'I think I got more excited from seeing them get excited than I did my putt going in,' Thomas said. 'I thought about it going up to the green. I'm like, 'If I make it, what am I going to do?' It's not like winning a tournament. You have three days left to try to play well. So I didn't really know how to react. I never had a putt on the last hole on a Thursday mean that much.' /div> div>  /div> div>And that's where he was on Friday. Back to work. His name is in the record book, but not yet the trophy. /div> div>  /div> div>The only other player to shoot 59 in the opening round was Paul Goydos at the John Deere Classic in 2010. He was runner-up to Steve Stricker, who opened with a 60. /div> div>  /div> div>Thomas only had a three-shot lead over Hudson Swafford when the day ended. /div> div>  /div> div>No matter. It's already a great week. /div> div>  /div>.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 13th, 2017

Lakers beat Magic, pick up back-to-back wins

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Julius Randle scored 19 points and rookie Brandon Ingram matched his career high with 17 in the Los Angeles Lakers' 111-95 victory over the Orlando Magic on Sunday night (Monday, PHL time). It was the first time in their last 30 games the Lakers put together consecutive victories. D'Angelo Russell also scored 17 points for the Lakers, and center Timofey Mozgov had 15 points and nine rebounds. It was the second consecutive game Ingram matched his career-high in points. Serge Ibaka, Evan Founier and Nikola Vucevic each scored 19 points to lead Orlando. The Magic dropped their third straight. The Magic trailed by two at the break, but missed their first 10 shots in the second half. They did not connect on a field goal until Ibaka hit a driving hook shot with 4:47 left in the third quarter. Orlando finished just 2-of-10 from the field in third quarter and scored only nine points a season-low for any quarter by a Lakers' opponent. The Magic shot 37.8 percent for the night. strong>TIP-INS /strong> em> strong>Magic: /strong> /em>Vucevic started the first 16 games of the season, averaging 11.8 points, 11.5 rebounds and 27.6 minutes per game while shooting 43.7 percent. In his next 19 games off the bench, he's averaged 14.1 points and 9.5 rebounds in 28.7 minutes, shooting 46.5 percent. Orlando is 29th in free-throw percentage (71.4). em> strong>Lakers: /strong> /em> Forward Larry Nance Jr., out since Dec. 20 (Dec. 21, PHL time) with a left knee bruise, continues to improve and has begun shooting. 'Hopefully, he's close,' Lakers coach Luke Walton said. The season-high 127 points the Lakers scored in their win Friday (Saturday, PHL time) against the Miami Heat included a season-high 62 rebounds. strong>UP NEXT /strong> em> strong>Magic: /strong> /em> Remain in Los Angeles to play the Clippers on Wednesday night (Thursday, PHL time). Orlando has lost its last six to the Clippers, who now have All-Star guard Chris Paul back from a hamstring injury. em> strong>Lakers: /strong> /em>Play the Trail Blazers for the second time in six days when they host Portland on Tuesday night (Wednesday, PHL time). The Blazers have won a team record nine consecutive games against the Lakers after their 118-109 loss in Portland on Thursday (Friday, PHL time). .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 9th, 2017

Gigi Reyes’ bid to dismiss plunder case junked

MANILA, Philippines – Lawyer Jessica Lucila “Gigi” Reyes will have to remain in detention as the Sandiganbayan ruled to proceed with the trial of her non-bai.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

Sandiganbayan junks Gigi Reyes's motion to dismiss plunder case - BusinessWorld Online Edition

Sandiganbayan junks Gigi Reyes's motion to dismiss plunder case - BusinessWorld Online Edition.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

Sandiganbayan denies Gigi Reyes' bid to dismiss plunder case - GMA News

Sandiganbayan denies Gigi Reyes' bid to dismiss plunder case - GMA News.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

Anti-graft court denies Gigi Reyes' bid to quash plunder case - Inquirer.net

Anti-graft court denies Gigi Reyes' bid to quash plunder case - Inquirer.net.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

Gigi Reyes’ motion to quash plunder case junked

Gigi Reyes’ motion to quash plunder case junked.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

Court denies Gigi Reyes motion to dismiss plunder case

MANILA, Philippines — Anti-graft court Sandiganbayan has denied the motion of lawyer Jessica "Gigi" Reyes, former chief of staff of former Sen......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 4th, 2017

GMA cleared in Malampaya Fund scam; Andaya, Napoles charged

MANILA, Philippines – Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales has ordered the filing of two plunder and 97 graft and malversation charges against former budget sec.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 27th, 2016

WATCH | Calima, CIDG file plunder case vs Argosino, Robles over P50-M bribery mess

WATCH | Calima, CIDG file plunder case vs Argosino, Robles over P50-M bribery mess.....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsDec 22nd, 2016

Ex-PCSO GM in Arroyo plunder case seeks bail - GMA News

Ex-PCSO GM in Arroyo plunder case seeks bail - GMA News.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsDec 20th, 2016

High-ranking prosecutor cleared in staff's alleged case fixing - ABS-CBN News

High-ranking prosecutor cleared in staff's alleged case fixing - ABS-CBN News.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsDec 19th, 2016

Mayor Lani Mercado gets sentimental over Bong's plunder case, father-in-law's hospitalization

Mayor Lani Mercado gets sentimental over Bong's plunder case, father-in-law's hospitalization.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  pepRelated NewsDec 13th, 2016

Sandiganbayan clears Bolante

The Sandiganbayan Second Division has dismissed the plunder case filed against former Department of Agriculture Undersecretary Jocelyn “Joc Joc” Bolante in connection with the P723-million fertilizer fund scam......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsDec 12th, 2016