Advertisements


Rory McIlroy delivers strong rejection to proposed new tour

By DOUG FERGUSON AP Golf Writer MEXICO CITY (AP) — Rory McIlroy became the first top player to publicly reject the idea of a proposed new tour, saying he values his choice of where to play over whatever money the Premier Golf League is promising. “I would like to be on the right side of history on this one,” McIlroy said Wednesday at the Mexico Championship. McIlroy said the only thing that could change his mind were if all the top players decided to join, and he doesn't see that happening. “I think it's very split at the moment,” he said. Talk of a Premier Golf League has been around for about six years and picked up momentum — along with serious funding, primarily from Saudi Arabia — in recent months. Organizers have been talking to players and agents the last few months in the Bahamas, Australia and last week in Los Angeles. Phil Mickelson, who played with officials involved during the pro-am in the Saudi International last month, said Sunday he was not ready to announce his intentions but might be ready to state his view publicly by The Players Championship. Tiger Woods has said only that he and his people were looking into it. The idea of the Premier Golf League is to invigorate golf by putting together 12 four-man teams that would be required to play 18 events — 10 of them in the U.S. — that feature 54 holes, no cut and a shotgun start to fit a five-hour broadcast window. Total prize money would be $240 million, and the top player could earn as much as $50 million. McIlroy said money is “cheap.” “Money is the easy part,” McIlroy said. “It shouldn't be the driving factor. Look, for some people it is. And we're professional golfers and we're out here playing golf to make a living. But at the end of the day, I value my freedom and my autonomy over everything else.” PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan sent a memo to players last month that effectively said that because the tour has contracts with title sponsors for a full schedule and television partners, anyone joining the Premier Golf League would have to give up their PGA Tour memberships. The Premier Golf League's schedule would not include the majors. And still to be determined is if the Official World Golf Ranking board — represented by major tours and golf organizations — would allow the league to get ranking points. The world ranking is used to help determine the field for majors. For someone like Woods — the biggest draw in golf — to play in the new league, he might be required to play as often as 22 times a year if the league has an 18-tournament schedule. “Tiger is 44. He's got two young kids,” McIlroy said. “He openly said last week he wants to play 12 times a year, so this league is proposing 18. So he's not going to do it.” Other players have said they studying proposals, though none has announced a decision. “I don't really stand anywhere,” Dustin Johnson said. “Right now, I'm playing on the PGA Tour. But a lot would have to happen for that to change. Like Rory said, if there was a situation where I felt like I had to play, then I would. But for right now, I'm playing on the PGA Tour.” The PGA Tour policy board's next meets on March 3, the week of the Arnold Palmer Invitational. Prospects of the league was discussed at a players meeting at Torrey Pines in January, and at with the 16-member Player Advisory Council last week at Riviera. When first asked about the new league at Torrey Pines last month, McIlroy said golf was entering a new era and the Premier Golf League proposal had exploited a few areas of weakness, without detailing what they were. While he said then he didn't believe it was the best way to go, McIlroy suggested it could be a “catalyst for some changes on this tour that can help it grow and move forward.” As an example, he mentioned rewarding top players. He left no doubt where he stood on Wednesday. “The more I've thought about it, the more I don't like it,” he said. “The one thing as a professional golfer in my position that I value is the fact that I have autonomy and freedom over everything that I do.” He used the World Golf Championships in Mexico as an example. Eight players from the top 50, including Woods and Brooks Koepka, decided not to play this week. “If you go and play this other golf league, you're not going to have that choice,” he said. “I've never been one for being told what to do, and I like to have that autonomy and freedom over my career, and I feel like I would give that up by going to play this other league. “For me, I'm out,” he said. “My position is I'm against it until there may come a day that I can't be against it. If everyone else goes, I might not have a choice. But at this point, I don't like what they're proposing.” McIlroy referenced Arnold Palmer speaking out against Greg Norman's proposed world tour from the 1990s, in which the top 30 players in the world would meet at locations around the world. From that uprising, the PGA Tour developed the World Golf Championships in 1999, which brought together the top players from six tours around the world......»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsFeb 20th, 2020Related News

Race on between Paradigm, PBC to deliver Pacquiao’s next opponent

In signing with Paradigm Sports Management, Manny Pacquiao has given the US-based agency that also handles UFC star Conor McGregor the right to negotiate his future fights......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: SportsFeb 18th, 2020Related News

FIBA: Gilas planning to get one practice game before playing Indonesia

With their home game against Thailand to start the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers cancelled due to the novel coronavirus outbreak, Gilas Pilipinas is trying to maximize the extra few days added to its schedule. With a little over a week before Gilas takes on Indonesia on the road, the national team is planning on accommodating at least one tune-up game. The plan is to have it sometime next week with a PBA team. "I think we definitely wanna have a tune-up game," interim head coach Mark Dickel said after practice Saturday. "How we do it and when we'll schedule it, it'll be sometime next week," he added. The national team will leave for Indonesia on the 21st, giving them a good four days to schedule a game. Feb. 20 was the original date of the game against Thailand and that could be a window to make some arrangements happen. "I think we'll probably just have one [tune-up]," Dickel said. "We have such a tight timeline and we only have one game this window, it kinda makes more sense to get ready, have that game and replace that one [cancelled] game we were gonna play with that one [practice] game," he added.   — Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8.....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsFeb 15th, 2020Related News

Pacquiao still tied up with PBC

Manny Pacquiao signing with the same sports management agency as UFC star Conor McGregor does not affect his current ties with Premier Boxing Champions, which has promoted the Filipino icon’s last two fights......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: SportsFeb 15th, 2020Related News

FIBA: Business as usual for Gilas despite cancelled Thailand game

With the postponement of its opening home game against Thailand Thursday, Gilas Pilipinas' initial schedule for the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers has been slightly altered. FIBA has opted to move the Philippines-Thailand game set for Feb. 20 to another date due to the novel coronavirus outbreak. It is what it is and Gilas is business as usual, returning to practice Friday. "Obviously disappointing because it would have been awesome to play a game here in front of our fans," Gilas interim head coach Mark Dickel said. "But we can't control that, so just get ready to go over to Indonesia nad find a way to play a good game and win," he added. There's no date for the Gilas-Thailand game but Dickel assures that the national team will be ready to go when a new schedule is announced. For now, Dickel is focused on using the extra days to drill more reps on his players. "If you get more time to really have everybody understand what their roles are, what is expected, and what they gotta do out there, the games are gonna look better," he said. "I'm happy about it, we get two or three more days to prepare. Just gotta take advantage of those days," Dickel added.   — Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8.....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsFeb 14th, 2020Related News

Pacquiao still a PBC fighter despite McGregor alignment

Manny Pacquiao signing with the same sports management agency as UFC star  Conor McGregor does not affect his current ties with Premier Boxing Champions, which has promoted the Filipino icon’s last two fights......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: SportsFeb 14th, 2020Related News

Manny Pacquiao, lumagda na sa Paradigm Sports Management

Manila, Philippines – Pumirma na ang boxing legend na si Senator Manny Pacquiao sa Paradigm Sports Management na siya ring humahawak kay MMA star Conor McGregor. Ito ang inanunsyo ng Paradigm sa kanilang Twitter account. “We’re very excited to announce that Manny Pacquiao has signed with PSM for full service representation!” pahayag ng Paradigm. “Manny […] The post Manny Pacquiao, lumagda na sa Paradigm Sports Management appeared first on REMATE ONLINE......»»

Source: Remate RemateCategory: NewsFeb 14th, 2020Related News

NCAA postpones Season 95 senior division events indefinitely

As a precautionary measure in light of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, the NCAA management committee decided to postpone all Season 95 sporting events starting February 14. It was a unanimous decision by the ManCom to indefinitely suspend the ongoing competitions including the second semester centerpiece sport volleyball to ensure the safety and welfare of players, officials and fans. “NCAA is temporarily suspending the games for Senior Division starting February 14, 2020 as a precautionary measure on the COVID 2019,” according to the league statement released Thursday. Resumption of games shall be announced in a later date. “We shall advise you of the schedule as soon as it becomes available and in compliance with relevant DOH, DepEd, CHED and LGU advisories and guidelines,” the statement continued. “While we are mindful of the importance of holding the games, the health of the students is our top priority.” NCAA already suspended all juniors division events a week ago.     .....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsFeb 13th, 2020Related News

PXP Energy s Peru drilling on schedule

Upstream oil and gas firm PXP Energy Corp. said drilling in its Peru oil prospect is moving on schedule......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: FinanceFeb 13th, 2020Related News

Pacquiao-McGregor faceoff in the works

A showdown between boxing icon Manny Pacquiao and mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor is now close to happening......»»

Source: Thestandard ThestandardCategory: SportsFeb 12th, 2020Related News

Pacquiao joins McGregor at Paradigm

No less than UFC superstar Conor McGregor welcomed boxing legend Manny Pacquiao as the newest member of the Paradigm Sports Management family......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: SportsFeb 12th, 2020Related News

Adamson takes down Ateneo to take next step in UAAP 82 stepladder

Adamson High School is onto the next rung of the UAAP 82 Boys Basketball stepladder playoffs after turning the lights off of Ateneo de Manila High School, 84-75, Wednesday at Filoil Flying V Centre. The inside-outside combo of Season MVP Jake Figueroa and John Erolon worked wonders for the Baby Falcons who scored their second straight win against the Blue Eaglets to stay alive and stake claim to the seat opposite twice-to-beat Far Eastern University-Diliman. It definitely didn’t come easy, however, as the San Marcelino-based squad actually fell victim to a blazing 20-6 beginning by their opponents. Figueroa and Erolon kept coming, though, and Adamson slowly but surely clawed its way back into the contest. Only down three heading into the final frame, it was then Joshua Barcelona’s turn to come up big as he joined forces with their main men in a 20-2 tear that put them on top, 75-60. Ateneo didn’t quit just yet, but only came as nine in the last five minutes. In the end, Figueroa posted a powerful 15-point, 22-rebound double-double to go along with four blocks, four assists, and two steals while John Erolon also added 16 markers, five boards, and five dimes. With that, the Baby Falcons move on to a taller task of challenging the second-seeded Baby Tamaraws. The schedule of that showdown is yet to be determined. For the Blue Eaglets, Forthsky Padrigao showed the way with 22 points, eight assists, seven rebounds, and four steals while Joaquin Jaymalin chimed in 20 markers. Lebron Lopez and Josh Lazaro also had a fine finish to their first years with the former finishing with 13 points, seven blocks, and four rebounds and the latter ending with 12 markers, 10 boards, six rejections, and three assists. BOX SCORES ADAMSON 84 - Erolon 16, Figueroa 15, Dominguez 13, Quinal 13, Guarino 11, Barcelona 10, Cosal 6, Hanapi 0. ATENEO 75 - Padrigao 22, Jaymalin 20, Lopez 13, Lazaro 12, Espinosa 4, Ladimo 2, G. Salvador 2, Corral 0, De Ayre 0, Nieto 0, Pangilinan 0, M. Salvador 0. QUARTER SCORES: 8-22, 29-31, 57-58, 84-75. —— Follow this writer on Twitter, @riegogogo......»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsFeb 12th, 2020Related News

Pacquiao-McGregor megafight looms

BY NICK GIONGCO   Manny Pacquiao moved a step closer to seeing himself colliding with Conor McGregor when the Filipino star signed up recently with Paradigm Sports Management (PSM), an outfit that also represents the mix-martial arts idol. “Incredibly proud,” wrote PSM head Audie Attar in a social media post on Pacquiao’s decision to be […].....»»

Source: Tempo TempoCategory: NewsFeb 12th, 2020Related News

Isang kembot na lang Pacquiao, McGregor magbabanatan

PUMIRMA sa Paradigm Sports Management, tahanan ni Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) superstar Conor McGregor ng Ireland, si eight-time world boxing champion Emmanuel ‘Manny’ Pacquiao nitong Miyerkoles (Manila time)......»»

Source: Abante AbanteCategory: NewsFeb 12th, 2020Related News

Pacquiao joins same management firm as Conor McGregor

"I am proud to partner with Paradigm Sports Management and am excited for the opportunities that Audie Attar and PSM have to offer,” stated Pacquiao in the release......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: SportsFeb 12th, 2020Related News

Butler returns to lead Heat past Warriors, 113-101

MICHAEL WAGAMAN Associated Press SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Jimmy Butler had 21 points and 10 rebounds in his return to Miami’s lineup, and the Heat won in Andre Iguodala’s first game back in the Bay Area, thumping the Golden State Warriors 113-101 on Monday night. Butler was crisp after sitting out the previous two games with a right shoulder strain. The All-Star forward scored 13 points in the first half, shot 9 of 15 overall and had five assists to help the Heat end a three-game skid. Jae Crowder added 21 points and eight rebounds. Bam Adebayo had 13 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists. Kelly Olynyk had 12 points and a career-high 11 assists. Iguodala, a key member of the Warriors' three championship teams from 2015-18, had two points and five rebounds in 17 minutes against his former team. Damion Lee scored 26 points with five 3-pointers for Golden State (12-42). The loss ends the Warriors' five-year streak of finishing .500 or better. The Heat led comfortably most of the game to win for the first time on their six-game road trip that stretches beyond the All-Star break. Crowder, who had 18 points in his Miami debut against Portland on Sunday, made a step-back 3-pointer that put the Heat up by 18 midway through the second quarter. Olynyk later added another 3-pointer that made it 52-31. Golden State trailed by 24 but got within 73-69 following three free throws by Lee. Miami pulled away early in the fourth quarter, getting a dunk from Iguodala and back-to-back 3s by Robinson and Crowder. TIP-INS Heat: Crowder scored 16 points in the first half. … Miami won in the Bay Area for the first time since Feb. 12, 2014. The Heat had lost five straight road games to Golden State. Warriors: Thompson and Draymond Green, along with injured teammate Stephen Curry, are among the finalists for the 2020 U.S. Olympic men’s basketball team. FAMILIAR FACE, NOW FOE During a brief pregame ceremony, injured Golden State star Klay Thompson introduced Iguodala, the 2015 NBA Finals MVP who was greeted by a standing ovation from the crowd. “I can’t wait to see your jersey in the rafters,” Thompson said. Iguodala, in his second game with the Heat, tried to keep his return to the Bay Area in perspective. “I haven’t had a chance to let it be something that is overwhelming,” Iguodala said. “I just see it as another game on the schedule. It’s more important for the team so it’s actually helping me, if not allowing me, to not let it seem like a different type of situation.” Iguodala was greeted with a rousing ovation from the crowd when he checked into the game in the first quarter. UP NEXT Heat: Face the Jazz in Utah on Wednesday in their final game before the All-Star break. Warriors: Play at Phoenix on Wednesday. The teams split a pair of games in San Francisco earlier this season......»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsFeb 11th, 2020Related News

PBA: Philippine Cup opening pushed back one week

Due to the novel coronavirus outbreak, the Philippine Basketball Association will push the opening of its new season back by one week. The PBA was set to open a 45th season with the 2020 Philippine Cup on March 1 at the Big Dome. It’s still all systems go for the PBA, only now the season will start on March 8. “It’s a preventive measure against nCoV. It’s now in place and will be implemented. The safety of our fans, teams, players and officials remain to be our utmost priority,” said PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial. Despite the change in schedule, all opening-day activities are the same. The PBA will start with the annual Leo Awards followed by the season’s first game featuring five-time defending Philippine Cup champion San Miguel taking on Magnolia. The opening of the new PBA D-League season has also been moved from Feb. 13 to March 2.   — Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8.....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsFeb 10th, 2020Related News

foodpanda Riders Left Work to Help Affected Families

When calamity strikes, it interrupts plans – dinner plans, travel plans, career plans, marriage plans, family plans, 5 to 10-year plans, and life plans. For a few hours in Tagaytay and Tacloban, foodpanda riders interrupted their schedule to bring affected families, from the recent typhoon and volcanic eruption, companionship, and good food to everyone in […].....»»

Source: Metrocebu MetrocebuCategory: NewsFeb 9th, 2020Related News

LIST: Schedule of Art Fair Philippines 2020 activities

If you haven’t decided whether to attend, here’s a preview of just some of the exclusive events and rare learning opportunities to come......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsFeb 8th, 2020Related News

Virus scare delays power inspections& nbsp;

The Energy Regulatory Commission said the 2019 novel coronavirus scare affected the schedule of site inspections for permitting requirements......»»

Source: Thestandard ThestandardCategory: FinanceFeb 6th, 2020Related News