Advertisements


September 24, 2017

September 24, 2017.....»»

Source: Bulgar BulgarCategory: News1 hr. 1 min. ago Related News

Emmy 2017: The winners list

Emmy 2017: The winners list.....»»

Source: Cnnphilippines CnnphilippinesCategory: Entertainment1 hr. 47 min. ago Related News

Trump's comments about anthem, Curry inflame sports stars

CATHERINE LUCEY, Associated Press br /> TIM REYNOLDS, Associated Press br /> SOMERSET, N.J. (AP) — President Donald Trump sharply criticized protests by NFL players for a second straight day and rescinded NBA star Stephen Curry's White House invitation on Saturday in a series of tweets that outraged football and basketball stars and even prompted LeBron James to call the president a 'bum.' Trump started by announcing that Curry, the immensely popular two-time MVP for the Golden State Warriors, would not be welcome at the White House for the commemorative visit traditionally made by championship teams. Later, Trump reiterated what he said at a rally in Alabama the previous night that NFL players who kneel for the national anthem should be fired, prompting immediate condemnation from a handful of team executives, the league commissioner and its players' union. The Warriors said it was made clear to them that they were not welcome at the White House. They said that when they go to Washington this season they will instead 'celebrate equality, diversity and inclusion — the values that we embrace as an organization.' Curry had said he did not want to go to the White House anyway, but the Warriors had not made a collective decision before Saturday. 'U bum @StephenCurry30 already said he ain't going!' James tweeted in a clear message to the president — a post that Twitter officials said was quickly shared many more times than any other he's sent. 'So therefore ain't no invite. Going to White House was a great honor until you showed up!' James also released a video Saturday, saying Trump has tried to divide the country. 'He's now using sports as the platform to try to divide us,' James said. 'We all know how much sports brings us together. ... It's not something I can be quiet about.' Warriors general manager Bob Myers said he was surprised by the invitation being pulled. 'The White House visit should be something that is celebrated,' Myers said. 'So we want to go to Washington, D.C., and do something to commemorate kind of who we are as an organization, what we feel, what we represent and at the same time spend our energy on that. Instead of looking backward, we want to look forward.' Added Warriors coach Steve Kerr, after his team's first practice of the season: 'These are not normal times.' As a candidate and as president, Trump's approach has at times seemed to inflame racial tensions in a deeply divided country while emboldening groups long in the shadows. The latest sports comments come a little over a month after Trump came under fire for his response to a white supremacists' protest in Charlottesville, Virginia. Trump later pardoned Joe Arpaio, the former sheriff of Arizona's Maricopa County, who had been found guilty of defying a judge's order to stop racially profiling Latinos. Trump's latest entry into the intersection of sports and politics started in Alabama on Friday night, when he said NFL players who refused to stand for 'The Star-Spangled Banner' are exhibiting a 'total disrespect of our heritage.' Several NFL players, starting last season with then-San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick, have either knelt, sat or raised fists during the anthem to protest police treatment of blacks and social injustice. Last week at NFL games, four players sat or knelt during the anthem, and two raised fists while others stood by the protesters in support. Other players have protested in different ways over the past season since Kaepernick began sitting during the 2016 preseason. 'That's a total disrespect of everything that we stand for,' Trump said, encouraging owners to act. He added, 'Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, you'd say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He's fired.' On Saturday, Trump echoed his stance. 'If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL, or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem,' Trump wrote in an afternoon pair of tweets. 'If not, YOU'RE FIRED. Find something else to do!' Trump has enjoyed strong support from NFL owners, with at least seven of them donating $1 million each to Trump's inaugural committee. They include New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, who Trump considers a friend. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell strongly backed the players while New York Giants owners John Mara and Steve Tisch said the president's comments were inappropriate and offensive. Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, who has supported the players who have knelt, said the country 'needs unifying leadership right now, not more divisiveness,' and San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York ripped Trump's comments as 'callous.' 'Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities,' Goodell said in a statement. Plenty of other current and former stars from across sports weighed in Saturday. Richard Sherman of Seattle Seahawks said the president's behavior is 'unacceptable and needs to be addressed.' In his Friday remarks, Trump also bemoaned what he called a decline in violence in football, noting that it's 'not the same game' because players are now either penalized or thrown out of games for aggressive tackles. 'No man or woman should ever have to choose a job that forces them to surrender their rights,' DeMaurice Smith, the NFL Players Association executive director, said Saturday. 'No worker nor any athlete, professional or not, should be forced to become less than human when it comes to protecting their basic health and safety.' Trump has met with some championship teams already in his first year in office. Clemson visited the White House this year after winning the College Football Playoff, some members of the New England Patriots went after the Super Bowl victory and the Chicago Cubs went to the Oval Office in June to commemorate their World Series title. The Cubs also had the larger and more traditional visit with President Barack Obama in January, four days before the Trump inauguration. North Carolina, the reigning NCAA men's basketball champion, said Saturday it will not visit the White House this season. The Tar Heels cited scheduling conflicts. Rep. Al Green, D-Texas, said Trump has 'taken indecency to a new low.' 'I think that the president has forgotten that he is the standard bearer for our country, that little boys and little girls look up to the president,' he said. 'Little boys and little girls want to be like the president. They want to talk like the president. I think that the president has insulted the American people with this low level of verbiage.' Warriors forward Draymond Green said the good news was that Golden State won't have to talk about going to the White House again — unless they win another title during the Trump presidency. 'Michelle Obama said it best,' Green said. 'She said it best. They go low. We go high. He beat us to the punch. Happy the game is over.' ___ Reynolds reported from Miami. AP Sports Writer Janie McCauley in Oakland, California, and AP writer Corey Williams in Detroit contributed to this story. .....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: Sports7 hr. 27 min. ago Related News

ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (September 23, 2017)

ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (September 23, 2017).....»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: News8 hr. 47 min. ago Related News

Philracom finalizes handicapping system

MANILA, Philippines — In an  effort to align its handicapping rules and regulations to world-class standards as a result of its recent acceptance into the In.....»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: Sports13 hr. 27 min. ago Related News

Regional eliminations set for 2017 MBC National Choral Competition

Regional eliminations set for 2017 MBC National Choral Competition.....»»

Source: Manilatimes_net Manilatimes_netCategory: News17 hr. 0 min. ago Related News

LIVE UPDATES: Philippines vs Thailand - 2017 FIBA Asia Champions Cup

LIVE UPDATES: Philippines vs Thailand - 2017 FIBA Asia Champions Cup.....»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: News18 hr. 0 min. ago Related News

Chooks-to-Go falls to Palestine in Champions Cup

Chooks-to-Go's comeback fell a little short this time around. Team Pilipinas suffered its first loss of the 2017 FIBA Asia Champions Cup, absoring an 82-89 defeat at the hands of Sareyyet Ramallah of Palestine Saturday at the Chenzhous City Arena in Chenzhou, China. Barely 24 hours since Chooks-to-Go's rousing win over BC Astana to open Group A play, the Philippines came out flat against Palestine, trailing for most of the game. Chooks-to-Go got as close to four points in the final period by Palestine proved to be steadier down the stretch to complete the victory. Kiefer Ravena was once again the leading scorer for Team Pilipinas, firing 24 points while Jeron Teng added 18 points and six rebounds. Import Isaiah Austin, who hurt his leg at the break, added 13 points and eight boards. Three players scored at least 20 points for Sareyyet Ramallah led by Anthony Weeden's 22 points. Jamal AbuShamala dropped 21 and Todd O'Brien had 20. Both teams are now 1-1 in Group A.   The Scores:  PALESTINE 89 – Weeden 22, Abu Shamala 21, O’Brien 20, G. Habbash 14, Sakanini 10, El Diraoui 2, Sahwani 0, K. Habash 0, I Habash 0  PHILIPPINES – Ravena 22, Jeron Teng 18, Austin 13, Cruz 8, Jose 8, Revilla 6, Manuel 3, Tamsi 2, Torres 0, Jeric Teng 0,  Quarterscores: 21-13, 41-33, 64-54, 89-82   br /> --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8 .....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: Sports19 hr. 1 min. ago Related News

KaTropa crush defending champion Gin Kings to seal top 4 finish

TNT just punked defending champion Brgy. Ginebra. Displaying some scary form ahead of the 2017 Governors' Cup playoffs, the KaTropa knocked out the champion Gin Kings Saturday at the Big Dome, issuing an emphatic statement via a 121-92 victory. TNT finished its elimination round campaign with an 8-3 record. The KaTropa are the first to clinch a twice-to-beat advantage in the quarterfinals, however, their final placing is yet to be determined. .....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: Sports19 hr. 1 min. ago Related News

HIGHLIGHTS: Philippines vs Palestine - 2017 FIBA Asia Champions Cup

HIGHLIGHTS: Philippines vs Palestine - 2017 FIBA Asia Champions Cup.....»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: News19 hr. 26 min. ago Related News

The week in photos: September 16-22, 2017

The week in photos: September 16-22, 2017.....»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: News20 hr. 47 min. ago Related News

Additional free seminars set at Agrilink 2017

Additional free seminars set at Agrilink 2017.....»»

Source: Manilainformer ManilainformerCategory: 21 hr. 13 min. ago Related News

ROS scores another big win ahead of PBA playoffs

Now the waiting game starts for Rain or Shine. The Elasto Painters handled their business to end the  elimination round of the 2017 PBA Governors' Cup, scoring a convincing 122-98 win over Blackwater Saturday at the Big Dome. ROS finished with a 7-4 record and whether or not the team ends up with a twice-to-beat advantage in the quarterfinals remains to be seen as there are three games left to play before the postseason unfolds next week. Up by only one at the break, the Elasto Painters turned the corner in the second half, pulling away from the stunned Elite to complete the 24-point win. Behind import J'Nathan Bullock and Raymond Almazan, ROS led by as many as 28 late in the game, 119-91. 'I guess we just wanted it more today. Everybody who came in the game stepped up. Basically I just told them that we have a chance on the top 4, the only way we can have that chance is to win,' head coach Caloy Garcia said. 'In the first half I thought we were just okay offensively but our defense wasn't there. In the second half I think we picked up especially when we went small ball, we started pressurind and they started turning the ball over. From there we got a good lead,' he added. Bullock fired 30 points to lead Rain or Shine on top of eight rebounds while Almazan added 20 points off the bench. Gabe Norwood finished with 15 points.   .....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: Sports21 hr. 14 min. ago Related News

September 23, 2017

September 23, 2017.....»»

Source: Bulgar BulgarCategory: News21 hr. 48 min. ago Related News

ARMM hosts 2017 National Science and Technology Week

ARMM hosts 2017 National Science and Technology Week.....»»

Source: Manilainformer ManilainformerCategory: 22 hr. 13 min. ago Related News

JROOZ REVIEW CENTER OFFERS IELTS/IELTS UKVI ONE DAY PROMO

JROOZ REVIEW CENTER OFFERS IELTS/IELTS UKVI ONE DAY PROMO ENROLL AT JROOZ IELTS REVIEW CENTER ON SEPTEMBER 30, 2017 AND AVAIL A TOTAL OF P1000 DISCOUNT P500 OFF ON REVIEW FEE P500 OFF ON EXAM FEE 5,268&'160;total views, 4,597&'160;views today.....»»

Source: Mindanaoexaminer MindanaoexaminerCategory: NewsSep 23rd, 2017Related News

[09.22.2017] White Night in Manila – Ringa Linga (Taeyang) – Manila Video

[09.22.2017] White Night in Manila – Ringa Linga (Taeyang) – Manila Video.....»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsSep 23rd, 2017Related News

[09.22.2017] White Night in Manila – Talk (Taeyang) – Manila Video

[09.22.2017] White Night in Manila – Talk (Taeyang) – Manila Video.....»»

Source: Manilainformer ManilainformerCategory: Sep 23rd, 2017Related News

Ausmus out as manager of Detroit Tigers after season

em>By Noah Trister, Associated Press /em> DETROIT (AP) — The rebuilding Detroit Tigers will start fresh next season with a new manager. The Tigers announced Friday that Brad Ausmus will not return in 2018 after four years in charge. General manager Al Avila said the team was not extending Ausmus' contract. 'We didn't win,' Avila said while announcing the move in the Detroit dugout before Friday night's game. 'The organization, the club, got to a point where we needed change on the field. We needed to change the roster, and we started trading players, so the conclusion is: OK, you know what? Let's just take a whole brand new road and opening up to new things.' Detroit was the first team this season to announce a managerial change. Ausmus was 312-325 heading into Friday's game against Minnesota. His tenure included an AL Central title in his first season, but the Tigers have not made the postseason since. Detroit has been shedding payroll this year, trading stars Justin Verlander , Justin Upton and J.D. Martinez , and the Tigers are assured of no better than a fourth-place finish in their division. 'Al and I have become very good friends over the four years I was here, so it was a little emotional when he told me he wasn't going to bring me back,' the 48-year-old Ausmus said. 'Quite frankly, I told him I fully understood, and I told him, if he had walked in and offered me a contract, I probably wouldn't have come back, because I think this team, this organization is starting over. They need a new voice.' Ausmus took over for Jim Leyland before the 2014 season, inheriting a star-laden roster, but one that was starting to show the effects of age. Detroit went 86-75 last year and nearly made the playoffs, and the Tigers kept their team largely intact, hoping they could contend again in 2017. Ausmus returned as well this year after Detroit exercised his option, but the Tigers weren't even able to mount a challenge for a wild card. Ausmus had little managerial experience when he took over for Leyland, but the former major league catcher initially looked like exactly the type of younger, fresher voice who could help the Tigers keep their run of success going. Detroit started 27-12 in 2014, but that turned into an up-and-down season in which the Tigers finally wrapped up their fourth straight division title on the final day of the regular season. They were then swept by Baltimore in the Division Series. After an 11-2 start in 2015, Detroit eventually fell well behind first-place Kansas City, and the Tigers traded stars David Price and Yoenis Cespedes during that season. The Tigers spent big in an attempt to return to the playoffs the following season, but after acquiring Upton and Jordan Zimmermann, the team fell just short of a wild card in 2016. Avila indicated he'd be interested in hiring someone with a bit more experience as a manager or coach than Ausmus had when he took over. 'I would say the manager doesn't have to have managerial experience at the major league level,' Avila said. 'But he certainly has to have managerial experience, in my opinion, in the minor leagues or coaching experience at the major leagues, so that the person that comes in is well prepared in that sense.' Whoever becomes the next manager will have a roster much different than what Ausmus took over when he arrived. Miguel Cabrera is still under contract for a while, but Detroit's success will likely hinge on the contributions of its younger players. Right-hander Michael Fulmer was solid this year after winning Rookie of the Year honors in 2016, and third baseman Jeimer Candelario has hit well since coming to the organization in a July trade . 'Whoever calls or has interest in this position comes in fully aware, wide eyed, of what he's walking into,' Avila said. 'But in saying that, while it's a very difficult process, it's also going to be a tremendous opportunity.' Avila said he'd be open-minded about any current Detroit coach interested in the job. Hitting coach Lloyd McClendon, for example, has managed multiple major league teams in the past. Ausmus said he'd like to manage again at some point, but it's time for him and the Tigers to go on different paths. 'Everyone will just part ways very amicably. No hard feelings,' Ausmus said. 'I wish Al the best. I think he's got the organization pointed in the right direction.' .....»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: SportsSep 23rd, 2017Related News

Manila Bulletin Headline for Today (09/23/2017) Hazing suspect surrenders …

Manila Bulletin Headline for Today (09/23/2017) Hazing suspect surrenders ….....»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsSep 23rd, 2017Related News