Advertisements


Robredo files manifestation vs Marcos staff bringing prohibited item in recount area

In a six-page manifestation of grave concern, Vice President Leni Robredo, through her legal counsels Romulo Macalintal and Bernadette Sardillo, said that Nestor Borromeo brought a magnifying plastic lens inside the revision area......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsJun 22nd, 2018Related News

Priests can bear arms like all qualified Pinoys

ALBAYALDE: PRIESTS who feel their lives are under grave threat can be given license and permit to carry firearms outside of residence provided that they are qualified to handle a weapon and would not holster them like soldiers and policemen, Philippine National Police chief Director General Oscar D. Albayalde maintained….....»»

Source: Journal JournalCategory: NewsJun 18th, 2018Related News

Cop gunned down in Makati

A Marikina policeman was shot dead by an unidentified assailant shortly after attending the hearing of his grave misconduct case at the National Police Commission building in Makati yesterday......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsJun 14th, 2018Related News

HRW: Murders of priests, journalists matter of grave concern

MANILA, Philippines – Human Rights Watch (HRW) on Thursday, June 14, condemned the recent killings of Catholic priests and journalists in the Philippines, calling the incidents "a matter of grave concern." "These killings, alongside the thousands of deaths in the drug war, are grim reminders of ........»»

Source: Rappler RapplerCategory: NewsJun 14th, 2018Related News

Rights group alarmed by recent killings of priest, journalist

Human Rights Watch on Thursday expressed grave concern over the recent killings of a priest and a journalist as well as the reported attacks against peasants and members of tribal communities......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsJun 14th, 2018Related News

Youth partylist expects the worst in Duterte’s “radical change” pronouncement

Kabataan party-list has expressed alarm and grave concern over President Rodrigo Duterte’s statement that he would “make radical changes in the days to come.”.....»»

Source: Davaotoday DavaotodayCategory: NewsJun 8th, 2018Related News

Pinay missing after Taiwan quake

A Filipina caretaker is among those missing in the 6.4-magnitude quake that shook the east coast of Taiwan, authorities yesterday said. “We have a report that a Filipina caretaker is missing and presumed trapped in one of the damaged (buildings),” said the Manila Economic and Cultural Office (Meco) in Taiwan.The earthquake caused buildings to crumble in the Taiwanese city of Halien, trapping people inside. Taiwan government said the quake had left seven dead and 200 injured.Meco chairman Lito Banayo, in a television interview, said a team led by Philippine Labor Attache Cesar Chavez has reached the site to check on the search operations for the Filipina caretaker.The team, he added, is also checking on possible injured Filipinos in the hospitals damaged by the tremor, but it has seen none so far.According to Banayo, four commercial buildings in the area are either collapsed or tilting following the quake, while two residential buildings were also damaged.“It’s not as bad as it may sound,” he said. In Hualien, rescue workers pulled survivors and bodies from buildings tilting precariously in the Taiwanese city.Emergency responders were focusing on a 12-story apartment block and a nearby hotel, both of which were leaning dangerously with their lower floors pancaked after the 6.4-magnitude quake hit the popular tourist city late Tuesday. There were grave concerns for the badly leaning Yun Tsui residential building, which also housed a restaurant, shops and a hostel. The national fire agency said 88 persons were unaccounted for as of 2 p.m. (0600 GMT) but it was not immediately clear how many of those were trapped inside buildings. Dozens of residents — and a string of pets — were rescued with ropes and ladders overnight. But fire department staff at the site told Agence France Presse at least four bodies had been pulled out of the building in the day. Officials temporarily suspended rescue efforts late afternoon over fears the building might slip further as engineers raced to push large concrete clocks and steel bars against the leaning side.At the Marshal Hotel, which was also leaning and badly damaged, at least two persons were killed when the lower floors collapsed. But most residents got out and authorities said they believed there were no more people trapped inside. Tourists rescued President Tsai Ing-wen visited the apartment block Wednesday morning.“Now is the prime time for our rescue efforts, our first priority is to save people,” she said in a Facebook post.Hualien is one of Taiwan’s most popular tourist hubs as it lies on the picturesque east coast rail line and near the popular Taroko Gorge.The government said 17 foreigners sought medical treatment for minor injuries.Local resident Blue Hsu said some of those carried out of the hotel were foreigners. “The lower floors sunk into the ground and I saw panicked tourists being rescued from the hotel,” eyewitness Blue Hsu told AFP.Officials also said 214 persons had been injured in the quake, with 117 rescued from damaged buildings so far. Some 830 people were in shelters while 1,900 houses were without power. Jason Faustino with AFP.....»»

Source: Tribune TribuneCategory: NewsJun 7th, 2018Related News

ICC to inquire on raps vs Rody

ROQUE: MERE PROCESS TO DETERMINE BASIS President Duterte intends to defend himself, “if need be,” on the crimes against humanity charges that his opponents filed against him before The Hague-based International Criminal Court (ICC), presidential spokesman Harry Roque said yesterday. Roque, an international law expert, explained that the ICC’s recognition was simply a proceeding to determine if the case has basis to proceed or not.Roque said Malacañang has received ICC’s notice for a “preliminary examination” on the complaints filed by the lawyer of self-confessed Davao Death Squad (DDS) assassin Edgar Matobato, who is under the care of Duterte’s chief critic Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV.Roque said the 72-year-old Chief Executive is ready to submit himself before the proceedings once he is summoned to The Hague.“The President and I met about this extensively for two hours last night. The President welcomes the preliminary examination because he is sick and tired of being accused,” Roque told reporters. “Obviously, this is intended to embarrass the president. They will fail. The President said that if need be, he will argue his case before the ICC,” he added.Matobato’s counsel Jude Sabio, in April last year, submitted to the ICC a petition against Mr. Duterte on the basis of his apparent admission of “killing” suspected drug traffickers and criminals in Davao City when he was still its Mayor.By June, Trillanes and Magdalo Partylist Rep. Gary Alejano filed a supplemental complaint against the Chief Executive also at the ICC. The complaint is based on the series of extrajudicial killings attributed to the Duterte administration’s narcotics crackdown.Sabio, in a text message, claimed that the given development is already a victory on their end.“I feel so elated and vindicated. Finally, Mr. Duterte and his cohorts will face criminal investigation by the ICC prosecutor as a prelude to formal criminal investigation,” Sabio said. “It is a huge triumph toward justice. Duterte’s system of death squad killings that he continued in his war on drugs will be investigated and hopefully an arrest warrant will be issued against him and justice will be done,” he added.“I am confident that, based on my communication, as well as that of Sen. Trillanes’ and (Magdalo) Rep. (Gary) Alejano’s, we will hurdle this first big step, and hopefully a warrant of arrest will be issued soon by the ICC against Duterte and his cohorts,” he added. Critics overjoyedTrillanes, for his part, claimed that the ICC’s recognition of their complaint should remind Mr. Duterte that he is not above the law.“This development should jolt Duterte into realizing that he is not above the law. More importantly, this is the first step for the victims’ families’ quest for justice,” the senator said.But Roque said Trillanes and his group should not celebrate yet.“No one should claim victory… If they think the President has been indicted, they are so wrong,” he said.“There will be no formal investigation to be conducted in the country because at the level of the preliminary examination, where the Court does not include the budget for the prosecutor to come to the Philippines because it is not yet a preliminary investigation,” he said.“Now the objective is to determine if there is reasonable basis to proceed with the formal investigation,” he added.In Sabio’s complaint addressed to ICC chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, he said that the international criminal court’s action “would... be the beginning of the end of this dark, obscene, murderous and evil era in the Philippines.”“Crimes against humanity are crimes of universal jurisdiction, but where a State like the Philippines fails to assume such universal jurisdiction for crimes against humanity continuously being committed in its very own territory, then the International Criminal Court will have to intervene into a situation that is grave by any human standard,” Sabio said.“The grim statistics of more than 7,000 drug-related killings cannot be anything but grave, especially if viewed in the context of just seven months since Rodrigo Duterte became the President, compared to only about 3,000 committed during the 20-year Marcos regime. These more than 7,000 drug-related killings translate to roughly 1,000 killings per month,” he added.Two other opposition senators urged Malacañang, instead of criticizing this development, to deal with the issues being hurled at the President.“That shouldn’t come as a surprise considering the magnitude of deaths reaching thousands upon thousands in less than two years,” Sen. Francis “Kiko” Pangilinan.“This is the chance for the government to answer the accusations raised against them. There is no reason to be afraid if the administration is not hiding anything,” Sen. Bam Aquino said.Aquino said this should be a welcome opportunity for the administration to make their case to an unbiased and globally respected tribunal. Villarin wants Roque charged, tooAkbayan Rep Tom Villarin said the entry of the ICC into the issues raised against Duterte gives hope to the thousands killed under the latter’s war on drugs. “It is a welcome development and gives hope to thousands of EJK (extra judicial killings) victims that finally justice will be served,” Villarin said.“This will also hold President Duterte and other top officials involved in the bloody war against drugs accountable as well as it gives us an opportunity to implead other enablers of EJKs, including possibly Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque,” Villarin added.While the Akbayan lawmaker said that the investigation may not lead to Duterte’s puster, he said that it will be damning and damaging to his administration in the eyes of our people and the international community.“I am hopeful that people will now realize the truth and demand accountability from him with all constitutional options available,” Villarin said.Alejano said that the preliminary examination will determine whether there is sufficient evidence to warrant an investigation. “I hope that the preliminary examination will be allowed to carry on – unhindered and with full cooperation from concerned authorities, organizations, and personalities,” Alejano, one of those who brought the EJK issue before the ICC, said.“I am confident on the communication we sent to the ICC and strongly believe that President Duterte and those who perpetuate and defend this policy of killing should be held accountable before the law,” Alejano said. Angie M. Rosales, Gerry Baldo.....»»

Source: Tribune TribuneCategory: NewsJun 7th, 2018Related News

Trillanes sued over ‘kill threat’ against labor official

LABOR Undersecretary Jacinto Paras on Wednesday sued opposition Senator Antonio Trillanes 4th for grave threats after he allegedly threatened to kill him during a chance meeting at the Senate session hall in late May. “I filed a criminal case against Mr. Trillanes regarding his threat to me when I was [at]the Senate session hall. He came to [...] The post Trillanes sued over ‘kill threat’ against labor official appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Source: Manilatimes ManilatimesCategory: Jun 6th, 2018Related News

Trillanes to Paras: ‘A cellphone thief has no credibility’

OPPOSITION Sen. Antonio Trillanes 4th downplayed the grave threats complaint filed against him by Labor Undersecretary Jacinto Paras, calling it mere “harassment.” Trillanes belied the claim of Paras that he threatened to kill the labor official when he saw him at the gallery of the Session hall on May 29. “Wala katotohanan yan si Jing [...] The post Trillanes to Paras: ‘A cellphone thief has no credibility’ appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Source: Manilatimes ManilatimesCategory: Jun 6th, 2018Related News

Labor Usec. Paras files complaint vs. Trillanes over ‘grave threats’

Labor Undersecretary Jacinto Paras on Wednesday filed criminal charges against Senator Antonio Trillanes IV in connection with verbal threats he allegedly received from the lawmaker late May. Source link link: Labor Usec. Paras files complaint vs. Trillanes over ‘grave threats’.....»»

Source: Manilainformer ManilainformerCategory: Jun 6th, 2018Related News

US trade policy ‘deplorable’, rages Japan

TOKYO, Japan --- US-imposed trade tariffs on its close allies could have a "grave impact" on ties and the world trading system, the Japanese government said Monday, describing the situation as "extremely deplorable". Washington found itself isolated at a weekend meeting of G7 finance ministers over its stinging steel and aluminum tariffs and Tokyo kept up the barrage in unusually strong language. "It is extremely deplorable that the situation has not improved even after Japan has explained to the US its concerns at various levels," said government spokesman Yoshihide Suga. Close allies Tokyo and Washington have been at loggerheads over trade policy after the US refused to gi...Keep on reading: US trade policy ‘deplorable’, rages Japan.....»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: Jun 4th, 2018Related News

Lawmaker blames PNP for husband’s killing

The widow of former La Union Representative Eufranio Eriguel said the failure of the Philippine National Police to respond to the grave threats against her family led to the killing of her husband last month. Rep. Sandra Eriguel of La Union claimed that her husband became an easy target after the PNP, through Chief Supt. [...] The post Lawmaker blames PNP for husband’s killing appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Source: Manilatimes ManilatimesCategory: Jun 3rd, 2018Related News

Lacson probes SAF allowance mess

EXPRESSING grave concern over the delay in giving the allowances of Philippine National Police personnel as well as the Special Action Force, Senator Panfilo Ping Lacson reminded proper government authorities to immediately act on this issue in a hearing conducted yesterday by the Senate on the alleged illegal withholding of….....»»

Source: Journal JournalCategory: NewsMay 22nd, 2018Related News

Cardinal Quevedo: any revision in BTC-BBL would add another injustice against Bangsamoro people

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 21 May) – The draft Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) of the Bangsamoro Transition Commission (BTC) would correct the historical injustices committed against the Moro people, but any substantial revisions from its current form would result in another grave injustice, Cardinal Orlando Quevedo said. In a statement delivered during the Senate Consultative […].....»»

Source: Mindanews MindanewsCategory: NewsMay 21st, 2018Related News

2 DPWH execs dismissed over bridge project irregularities

TWO DEPARTMENT of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) officials in Negros Occidental have been found guilty of Grave Misconduct and dismissed from public service over the irregularities on the rehabilitation of two bridges in Cauayan. The Office of the Ombudsman also said it found probable cause to charge the two officials, identified as officers-in-charge district […] The post 2 DPWH execs dismissed over bridge project irregularities appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Source: Bworldonline BworldonlineCategory: NewsMay 17th, 2018Related News

Court of Appeals stops Cebu mayor’s suspension

The Court of Appeals has set aside a ruling of the Office of the Ombudsman suspending Toledo City Mayor John Henry Osmeña for grave abuse of authority......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsMay 12th, 2018Related News

Gun-toting cop-brods axed

Three police officers who are brothers have been relieved as they face charges of grave threat and gun ban violation for allegedly threatening a family over a traffic altercation in Caloocan City last Saturday......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsMay 1st, 2018Related News

Gun-toting cop-brods axed

Three police officers who are brothers have been relieved as they face charges of grave threat and gun ban violation for allegedly threatening a family over a traffic altercation in Caloocan City last Saturday......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsMay 1st, 2018Related News

Ex-Pangasinan execs cleared of grave misconduct

Two former officials of the Pangasinan provincial government who were dismissed by the Office of the Ombudsman over alleged black sand mining have been cleared by the Supreme Court......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: NewsApr 27th, 2018Related News