Advertisements


SABAH IS OURS! ‘Malaysia tightens grip on mineral-rich island of Sulu sultanate’

MALAYSIA HAS tightened its grip on Sabah which is being claimed by the Sultanate of Sulu following a proposal – by a member of the Philippines’ 25-man consultative committee tasked with reviewing and proposing amendments to the Constitution – to include the mineral-rich island as the country’s 13th federal state. Former senator Aquilino Pimentel Jr made the proposal while Filipino lawmakers are preparing to amend the 1987 Constitution and shift from presidential to federal form of government. He said the Duterte administration should continue to push for the country’s claim to Sabah in a way acceptable to international laws. “There should be a way that is acceptable under international laws to assert our claim to Sabah. I think we can defer it a little bit more, but to say that we stop doing it is not in the context of my proposal,” he told ABS-CBN Television recently. He also wanted Scarborough and Spratlys – which is being claimed by China and other ASEAN countries as theirs – to be part of the federated states of the Philippines.  Pimentel has also proposed the following to form part of the federal states Northern Luzon, Central Luzon, Southern Luzon, Bicol, Eastern Visayas, Central Visayas, Western Visayas, Minparom, Northern Mindanao, Southern Mindanao, Bangsamoro and Metro Manila as its capital. “Eventually once we have asserted our sovereignty and rights over Sabah, we should include Sabah. Not only Sabah, but also Scarborough, Benham Rise, and Spratlys,” Pimentel said. According to a report by Channel News Asia, Kuala Lumpur has strongly rejected Pimentel’s proposal to include Sabah as a federal state of the Philippines. “Malaysia is aware of remarks made by Mr Aquilino Pimentel Jr, a member of the Philippines’ Consultative Committee, which appeared in the media on the claim on Sabah recently,” it said, citing Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman as saying in a press statement. “The Government of Malaysia reiterates its position that Malaysia does not recognise and will not entertain any claims by any party on Sabah. Sabah is recognised by the United Nations and the international community as part of Malaysia since the formation of the Federation on 16 September 1963,” Anifah said. “Therefore, statements such as these will only expose the ignorance of history and international law of those who make them, as well as potentially harming the excellent bilateral relations which Malaysia and the Philippines currently enjoy.” Death Sentence Just last month, Malaysia’s Supreme Court upheld the death sentence for 9 Filipinos who were charged with waging war against the Malaysian King during the 2013 assault on Lahad Datu in Sabah. The Filipinos have been identified as Julham Rashid, 70; Virgilio Nemar Patulada, 53; Salib Akhmad Emali, 65; Tani Lahad Dahi, 64; Basad Manuel, 42; Datu Amirbahar Hushin Kiram, 54; Atik Hussin Abu Bakar, 46; Al Wazir Osman, 62; and Ismail Yasin, 77. Chief Justice Md Raus Sharif said the January 15 decision of the five-man panel of the Federal Court was unanimous, according to reports by The Star and Asia News Network, adding, the panel agreed with the Court of Appeal that the death sentence was the most appropriate based on the findings of the facts of the case. The other judges were Chief Judge of Malaya Ahmad Maarop, Chief Judge of Sabah and Sarawak Richard Malanjun, and Justices Ramly Ali and Azahar Mohamed. Basad Manuel is the son of the Jamalul Kiram III, the self-proclaimed Sultan of Sulu, who died from multiple organ failure in Manila in 2013. The bloody incursion by some 200 followers of Kiram from the southern Philippines in February 2013 was inspired by the supposed sultan’s claims of historical dominion over Sabah. The two-month siege was the most serious security crisis faced by Malaysia in years, involving armed conflict between the Sultan’s loyal followers and the Malaysian armed forces sent to root them out. The panel also dismissed the prosecution’s appeal against the acquittal of 14 men on the charge of waging war against the King and terrorist-related offences linked to the intrusion from Feb 12 to April 10, 2013, the reports further said. Chief Justice Md Raus said the panel has no reason to decide otherwise and affirmed the decision by the Court of Appeal delivered last June. At the height of fighting between Kiram’s followers and security forces, Malaysia deployed armoured vehicles and combat helicopters, including naval boats in an effort to flush out the Filipinos on the oil-rich island being claimed by both sides. About a dozen armoured personnel vehicles arrived in the town of Lahad Datu to support ground troops hunting down at least 50 members of the Sultanate of Sulu headed by Raja Muda Agbimuddin, the sultan’s younger brother. The group intruded Sabah in February 2013 to exert claim over Sabah, citing historical and legal claims, but Malaysia rejected this and launched a massive assault on about 200 of the sultan’s men following a deadline for them to surrender peacefully. The assault by Malaysian jets and ground artilleries left at least 62 intruders dead, but the fighting between the two groups also killed and wounded 18 Malaysian policemen and soldiers. Malaysia arrested more than 300 Filipinos who are suspected of supporting or aiding Raja Muda Agbimuddin’s group under a strict anti-terrorism law. More than 2,000 Filipino Muslims have returned to Sulu and Tawi-Tawi provinces after fleeing Sabah in 2013 for fear they would be arrested in a massive crackdown launched by Malaysian on illegal immigrants and […].....»»

Category: newsSource: mindanaoexaminer mindanaoexaminerFeb 3rd, 2018

SABAH IS OURS! ‘Malaysia tightens grip on mineral-rich island of Sulu sultanate’

MALAYSIA HAS tightened its grip on Sabah which is being claimed by the Sultanate of Sulu following a proposal – by a member of the Philippines’ 25-man consultative committee tasked with reviewing and proposing amendments to the Constitution – to include the mineral-rich island as the country’s 13th federal state. Former senator Aquilino Pimentel Jr made the proposal while Filipino lawmakers are preparing to amend the 1987 Constitution and shift from presidential to federal form of government. He said the Duterte administration should continue to push for the country’s claim to Sabah in a way acceptable to international laws. “There should be a way that is acceptable under international laws to assert our claim to Sabah. I think we can defer it a little bit more, but to say that we stop doing it is not in the context of my proposal,” he told ABS-CBN Television recently. He also wanted Scarborough and Spratlys – which is being claimed by China and other ASEAN countries as theirs – to be part of the federated states of the Philippines.  Pimentel has also proposed the following to form part of the federal states Northern Luzon, Central Luzon, Southern Luzon, Bicol, Eastern Visayas, Central Visayas, Western Visayas, Minparom, Northern Mindanao, Southern Mindanao, Bangsamoro and Metro Manila as its capital. “Eventually once we have asserted our sovereignty and rights over Sabah, we should include Sabah. Not only Sabah, but also Scarborough, Benham Rise, and Spratlys,” Pimentel said. According to a report by Channel News Asia, Kuala Lumpur has strongly rejected Pimentel’s proposal to include Sabah as a federal state of the Philippines. “Malaysia is aware of remarks made by Mr Aquilino Pimentel Jr, a member of the Philippines’ Consultative Committee, which appeared in the media on the claim on Sabah recently,” it said, citing Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman as saying in a press statement. “The Government of Malaysia reiterates its position that Malaysia does not recognise and will not entertain any claims by any party on Sabah. Sabah is recognised by the United Nations and the international community as part of Malaysia since the formation of the Federation on 16 September 1963,” Anifah said. “Therefore, statements such as these will only expose the ignorance of history and international law of those who make them, as well as potentially harming the excellent bilateral relations which Malaysia and the Philippines currently enjoy.” Death Sentence Just last month, Malaysia’s Supreme Court upheld the death sentence for 9 Filipinos who were charged with waging war against the Malaysian King during the 2013 assault on Lahad Datu in Sabah. The Filipinos have been identified as Julham Rashid, 70; Virgilio Nemar Patulada, 53; Salib Akhmad Emali, 65; Tani Lahad Dahi, 64; Basad Manuel, 42; Datu Amirbahar Hushin Kiram, 54; Atik Hussin Abu Bakar, 46; Al Wazir Osman, 62; and Ismail Yasin, 77. Chief Justice Md Raus Sharif said the January 15 decision of the five-man panel of the Federal Court was unanimous, according to reports by The Star and Asia News Network, adding, the panel agreed with the Court of Appeal that the death sentence was the most appropriate based on the findings of the facts of the case. The other judges were Chief Judge of Malaya Ahmad Maarop, Chief Judge of Sabah and Sarawak Richard Malanjun, and Justices Ramly Ali and Azahar Mohamed. Basad Manuel is the son of the Jamalul Kiram III, the self-proclaimed Sultan of Sulu, who died from multiple organ failure in Manila in 2013. The bloody incursion by some 200 followers of Kiram from the southern Philippines in February 2013 was inspired by the supposed sultan’s claims of historical dominion over Sabah. The two-month siege was the most serious security crisis faced by Malaysia in years, involving armed conflict between the Sultan’s loyal followers and the Malaysian armed forces sent to root them out. The panel also dismissed the prosecution’s appeal against the acquittal of 14 men on the charge of waging war against the King and terrorist-related offences linked to the intrusion from Feb 12 to April 10, 2013, the reports further said. Chief Justice Md Raus said the panel has no reason to decide otherwise and affirmed the decision by the Court of Appeal delivered last June. At the height of fighting between Kiram’s followers and security forces, Malaysia deployed armoured vehicles and combat helicopters, including naval boats in an effort to flush out the Filipinos on the oil-rich island being claimed by both sides. About a dozen armoured personnel vehicles arrived in the town of Lahad Datu to support ground troops hunting down at least 50 members of the Sultanate of Sulu headed by Raja Muda Agbimuddin, the sultan’s younger brother. The group intruded Sabah in February 2013 to exert claim over Sabah, citing historical and legal claims, but Malaysia rejected this and launched a massive assault on about 200 of the sultan’s men following a deadline for them to surrender peacefully. The assault by Malaysian jets and ground artilleries left at least 62 intruders dead, but the fighting between the two groups also killed and wounded 18 Malaysian policemen and soldiers. Malaysia arrested more than 300 Filipinos who are suspected of supporting or aiding Raja Muda Agbimuddin’s group under a strict anti-terrorism law. More than 2,000 Filipino Muslims have returned to Sulu and Tawi-Tawi provinces after fleeing Sabah in 2013 for fear they would be arrested in a massive crackdown launched by Malaysian on illegal immigrants and […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsFeb 3rd, 2018

Abu Sayyaf frees 3 Indonesian hostages in Sulu

Three Indonesian nationals abducted by the Abu Sayyaf in Sabah, Malaysia, in 2017 have been released, according to Benjie Liwanag’s report on Super Radyo dzBB on Sunday. Source link link: Abu Sayyaf frees 3 Indonesian hostages in Sulu.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsSep 16th, 2018

Abducted Indon fishermen from Sabah taken to Sulu

SULU – Two Indonesian fishermen abducted by gunmen off Sabah in Malaysia were believed taken to the southern Philippine province […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsSep 14th, 2018

Maldives declares state of emergency as Yameen tightens grip on power

Maldives President Abdulla Yameen on Monday declared a state of emergency, ordered security forces into the supreme court and arrested a former president, in moves the opposition called a “purge” in the Indian Ocean island nation......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsFeb 6th, 2018

Barter Trade Between Sabah, Malaysia and The Island Provinces in Southern Mindanao to Resume Anew

Barter Trade Between Sabah, Malaysia and The Island Provinces in Southern Mindanao to Resume Anew.....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsFeb 2nd, 2017

Cross border trade between Malaysia and ARMM’s island provinces to reopen on Feb. 1

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 25 Jan) – The cross border trade between Sabah, Malaysia and island provinces of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) will be reopened on February 1, almost a year after it was shut down, Mindanao Development Authority (MinDA) secretary Abdul Khayr Alonto announced on Wednesday. Alonto told “Wednesdays at Habi [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsJan 25th, 2017

Abus say German still alive, being held in Sulu

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines – The partner of a German woman killed by Abu Sayyaf bandits after they were kidnapped Sunday off Sabah near Tawi-Tawi Island is.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 8th, 2016

PH, Malaysia share intel on Sabah abductions

ZAMBOANGA CITY: The Philippine military on Monday said it is exchanging intelligence with Malaysia following the abduction of three fishermen by suspected Filipino gunmen in Sabah. Seven gunmen abducted the trio in a daring cross-border raid into the rich.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsSep 12th, 2016

3 Abu Sayyaf militants, soldier killed in Sulu clashes | The Manila Times Online

ZAMBOANGA CITY - Three Abu Sayyaf militants and a soldier were killed in fierce clashes before dawn Thursday on Minis Island off Sulus Patikul town in southern Philippines, officials said.READ The pos.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsDec 13th, 2018

3 Abu Sayyaf militants, soldier killed in Sulu clashes

ZAMBOANGA CITY – Three Abu Sayyaf militants and a soldier were killed in fierce clashes before dawn Thursday on Minis Island off Sulu’s Patikul town in southern Philippines, officials said….READ The post 3 Abu Sayyaf militants, soldier killed in Sulu clashes appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsDec 13th, 2018

3 Sayyafs, soldier killed in Sulu clashes 

SULU – Three Abu Sayyaf militants and a soldier were killed in fierce clashes before dawn Thursday on Minis Island […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsDec 13th, 2018

Ilongga fails to notch Women’s Elite title

MECHANICAL trouble during the actual race barred Arianna Dormitorio of Iloilo City from sweeping her third consecutive overall Women Elite Olympic Cross Country title in the 2018 Asia Mountain Bike Series in Sabah, Malaysia last Dec. 11. Had it not for the glitch, Dormitorio could have become the first rider to capture the overall championship […] The post Ilongga fails to notch Women’s Elite title appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsDec 12th, 2018

Malaysia foils terror attacks, arrests 2 Sayyafs in Sabah

ZAMBOANGA CITY – Two Filipinos who are members of the pro-ISIS militant group Abu Sayyaf, had been captured in Sabah […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsDec 11th, 2018

Sayyafs abduct 3 Indonesian fishermen in Sabah

SULU – Three Indonesian fishing crew members were reported kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf gunmen off Sabah near the Philippine border […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsDec 9th, 2018

Pinay found dead in Malaysian river

A Filipina was found dead floating in a river in Sabah, Malaysia over a week ago, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said yesterday. Source link link: Pinay found dead in Malaysian river.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 9th, 2018

Pinay found dead in Malaysian river

A Filipina was found dead floating in a river in Sabah, Malaysia over a week ago, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 8th, 2018

Body of Filipina found floating in Malaysian river–DFA

      MANILA, Philippines--A Filipina was found floating in Pengalan River in Sabah, Malaysia and bore wounds that suggest foul play, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) reported on Saturday. The DFA identified the victim as Madelyn Bernardo Asuncion, whose body was found floating in the river last Nov. 28, according to a plantation worker. Philippine Ambassador to Malaysia Charles Jose said that authorities claimed there was enough evidence to classify the case as a possible homicide. The Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur and the DFA expressed their condolences to the victim's family. The Embassy is still awaiting for the official report and ...Keep on reading: Body of Filipina found floating in Malaysian river–DFA.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 8th, 2018

Indonesian abducted in Sabah is freed in Sulu

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 06 Dec) — An Indonesian member of a fishing crew who was kidnapped in Sabah in September “was able to escape from his abductors” in Sitito Tubig Bual, Barangay Bual in Luuk, Sulu and was rescued by troops from the Marine Battalion Landing Team 3 at around 7:30 a.m. on December […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsDec 6th, 2018

50,000 sako ng smuggled na bigas nasabat sa Sulu | ABS-CBN News

Nasabat ng Philippine Coast Guard ang tinatayang nasa 50,000 sako ng smuggled na bigas sa isang barko sa Tonquil Island, Sulu......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsNov 17th, 2018

7 Abu Sayyaf militants captured in Sabah

ZAMBOANGA CITY – Malaysia is holding 7 Filipinos, six of them members of the pro-ISIS group Abu Sayyaf, in separate […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsNov 16th, 2018