Advertisements


Robinsons alleged fire incident a dud

DAVAO CITY---The Davao City Police Office (DCPO) said the earlier reported fire at Robinsons Cybergate here turned out to be not a fire at all. Senior Insp. Ma. Teresita Gaspan, city police spokesperon, said the investigation conducted with mall authorities revealed that the smoke seen by a guard around 2:25 a.m., not 3 a.m. as earlier reported, which was billowing from the machine room on the first floor of Robinsons, was actually leaking Freon gas. The smoke, which spread from the machine room area of the supermarket, was not caused by any fire (but) it was caused by Freon gas leakage," she said. The reported fire had earlier raised concerns here as another mall had earlier be...Keep on reading: Robinsons alleged fire incident a dud.....»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerDec 26th, 2017

Cops kill 2 holdup suspects in QC shootout

      MANILA, Philippines -- Two alleged holdup men were killed in a shootout with the police at a checkpoint in Brgy. Ugong, Quezon City Thursday early morning. A police report said that the two unidentified suspects were killed in a follow-up operation around 1:40 a.m. along Giraffe Street in Brgy. Ugong. The report said the incident happened when Quezon City policemen were manning a checkpoint at Green Meadows corner Giraffe Streets and two men on board a motorcycle passed by and opened fire at the policemen. The police immediately pursued the suspects and a shootout ensued, resulting in the death of the two men. The report said the two suspects...Keep on reading: Cops kill 2 holdup suspects in QC shootout.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 31st, 2019

2 alleged motorcycle thieves slain by cops in Laguna

SAN PEDRO CITY -- Two men who allegedly stole a motorcycle were killed in a shootout with the police in Cabuyao City in Laguna provinceon Sundaymorning. Chief Supt. Guillermo Eleazar, director of the Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon (Calabarzon) police, said they have yet to identify the slain men but said the incident took place around4:30 a.m.along Snake Road in Barangay (village) San Isidro. Prior the shootout, a certain Steven John Payo reported to police that his motorcycle was stolen. Eleazar said the city police conducted a hot pursuit operation until they chanced upon the suspects. He said the suspects were the first to fire shots, prompting the police to retaliat...Keep on reading: 2 alleged motorcycle thieves slain by cops in Laguna.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 20th, 2018

Laguna drug group member killed in shootout

  SAN PEDRO CITY - An alleged member of an illegal drugs syndicate group was killed, while his companion escaped in a police operation in San Pablo City, Laguna Friday evening. Laguna police director Sr. Supt. Eleazar Matta said the slain suspect, Gilbert "Bheng" Flores, 47, a resident of Barangay (village) San Francisco, is a high value target in the war on drugs. Matta said a buy-bust operation was carried out by police officers to snare Flores and his companion, Redentor Vergara at around 6:30 p.m. in Barangay Sta. Isabel. He said that during the transaction, the suspects, carrying a .45 caliber pistol and a machine gun, suddenly opened fire, triggering a shootout. ...Keep on reading: Laguna drug group member killed in shootout.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 15th, 2019

10 things to know about NBA All-Star 2019

By Tim Reynolds, Associated Press CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — With All-Star festivities set to officially begin Friday (Saturday, PHL time), here are 10 things to know going into the weekend: BACK TO CHARLOTTE Charlotte hosted NBA All-Star weekend in 1991, and now gets it back a second time to join 14 other cities that can say it hosted the league’s showcase midseason event on multiple occasions. Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Houston, New Orleans, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Seattle, St. Louis, Los Angeles and the L.A. suburb of Inglewood, California, are the other previous multi-hosting All-Star cities. The Bay Area, the Detroit area and the Dallas area are also two-time hosts, though never technically twice in the same city. LEBRON’S RECORDS LeBron James now has the record for most All-Star captaincies: Two. He and Stephen Curry had the jobs last year when the captain’s format was first introduced to the All-Star weekend, and he and Giannis Antetokounmpo have the jobs this year. But James’ records revolving around this game hardly stop there. By starting on Sunday (Monday, PHL time), James will tie Kobe Bryant with 15 starts in the All-Star Game. James will also extend his record of consecutive starts, which will also rise to 15. Some of the other All-Star records James already holds include total points (343), field goals (141) and three-pointers (35). And by playing two minutes, James will increase his All-Star total in that stat to 416 — one more than Bryant for No. 2 on the all-time list. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has played the most All-Star minutes, 449. FOULING OUT Bold prediction: No one will foul out on Sunday (Monday, PHL time). The last player to foul out of an All-Star Game was Hakeem Olajuwon in 1987. Chris Paul was the most recent to come close, when he was whistled for five fouls in the 2008 game. There have been only 14 instances of someone fouling out of an All-Star Game. Rick Barry and Bob Cousy each fouled out twice; 10 others, including Olajuwon, have done so once. MVPs AT HOME Kemba Walker, the lone Charlotte player in this year’s All-Star Game, has suggested that he’s hoping he can wow the home crowd with an MVP-worthy performance. There’s a history of that sort of thing happening. There have been 14 players who have won All-Star MVP honors in their home cities, spanning a total of 15 games. The list of hometown All-Star MVPs: Anthony Davis (New Orleans, 2017), Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles, 2011), Shaquille O’Neal (Phoenix, 2009 and Los Angeles, 2004), Karl Malone and John Stockton (Utah, 1993), Michael Jordan (Chicago, 1988), Tom Chambers (Seattle, 1987), Jerry West (Los Angeles, 1972), Rick Barry (the San Francisco area, 1967), Adrian Smith (Cincinnati, 1966), Bob Pettit (St. Louis, 1958 and 1962), Wilt Chamberlain (Philadelphia, 1960), Bob Cousy (Boston, 1957) and Ed Macauley (Boston, 1951). AGE MARK Assuming he plays, Dallas’ Dirk Nowitzki — one of the special additions to the rosters by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, who also added Miami’s Dwyane Wade to the list — will become the second 40-something to appear in the All-Star Game. Nowitzki is 40; Kareem Abdul-Jabbar played in the game when he was 40 and 41. Michael Jordan almost pulled off the feat; he was eight days shy of turning 40 when he last played in the All-Star Game in 2003. Jordan, now the owner of the Charlotte Hornets and the unofficial host of the weekend, will turn 56 on Sunday. Wade, also assuming he gets into the game, will become the 12th player to be an All-Star at 37 or older. Wade turned 37 last month. HEROES Jason Weinmann and James Shaw Jr. might not be “celebrities,” at least not in the classic sense. But the NBA rightly believes they should be celebrated. Weinmann and Shaw were invited to play in Friday’s All-Star Celebrity Game to commemorate heroic acts. Weinmann, a retired Marine, used a military transport vehicle — which he bought at a government auction years ago — during Hurricane Florence last September to help rescue flood victims in North Carolina and bring them to safety. Shaw disarmed a man who had opened fire at a Waffle House restaurant near Nashville last April and has been heralded as a life-saving hero since for wrestling the AR-15 out of the alleged shooter’s hands by the barrel. G LEAGUE FIRST Khris Middleton of the Milwaukee Bucks is the first member of a new club. He’s the first G League alum to become an NBA All-Star. Middleton spent a short time during the 2012-13 season in the G League, before blossoming into one of the league’s best players and a key to Milwaukee going into the break with an NBA-best 43-14 record. There will be plenty of G League graduates participating on All-Star Saturday (Sunday, PHL time) as well — Middleton, Seth Curry, Danny Green and Joe Harris are all slated to be in the 3-point contest. CASH MATTERS There is some money at stake during All-Star Saturday (Sunday, PHL time) events, and everybody gets something. Everyone in the dunk contest will receive at least $20,000, everyone in the skills challenge gets at least $15,000 and all participants in the 3-point shootout take home at least $10,000. From there, prize money varies by finish — the skills challenge winner gets $55,000, the 3-point shootout champion wins $60,000 and the dunk contest winner takes home $105,000. In all, the Saturday night (Sunday, PHL time) participants will split $610,000. EASTBOUND This All-Star weekend is the first of four straight in Eastern Conference cities. Chicago gets it next year, Indianapolis in 2021 and Cleveland in 2022. The site for the 2023 game remains unknown; Salt Lake City and Sacramento are two sites often mentioned as candidates for that year, and Orlando is a likely suitor for the 2024 game. THE REFS Sunday’s (Monday, PHL time) All-Star Game will be officiated by Scott Foster, Curtis Blair and David Guthrie. It’s a home game of sorts for Guthrie, who resides in Charlotte. Foster worked the 2010 All-Star Game in Dallas. It’s the first All-Star Game for Blair and Guthrie. The Friday and Saturday (Saturday and Sunday, PHL time) events will be worked by a crew of newer refs — third-year official Aaron Smith and fourth-year officials Mitchell Ervin and Gediminas Petraitis......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsFeb 15th, 2019

Respect persons in authority

A 23-year-old Chinese national came under fire over the weekend when a photo of her throwing a cup of taho at a police officer surfaced on social media. The incident took place after the Chinese national was reminded of the “no liquid policy” inside trains for security purposes. “Each country has its own bad apples […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsFeb 11th, 2019

Baguio city personnel under fire for manhandling taho vendor

BAGUIO, Philippines – What's in the taho nowadays? Before the taho thrown by a Chinese woman at a policeman securing the Metro Rail Transit Line 3, there was an incident in Baguio where 4 city employees accosted a taho vendor and spilled his taho. A video went viral among Baguio-based social ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsFeb 10th, 2019

40 Houses Burned, 1 Dead in Brgy. Tinago Fire

Just a few days after a fire struck Brgy. Ermita, another fire incident happened early morning today in Sitio Calero M.J Cuenco Avenue Brgy. Tinago Cebu City, February 8, 2019. The fire set ablaze 40 houses leaving 50 families with 218 individuals homeless. Cebu City Fire Department, who received the fire alarm at 2:31 am […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsFeb 8th, 2019

Jaro fiesta was peaceful – PNP

AMID reports of alleged terror threats, the Iloilo City Police Office (ICPO) said the celebration of Jaro fiesta or the Feast of Our Lady of Candles was relatively peaceful. Senior Superintendent Martin Defensor, Jr., Iloilo City police chief, said no major incident happened during the entire celebration on February 2. “It was generally peaceful and […] The post Jaro fiesta was peaceful – PNP appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsFeb 4th, 2019

1 killed in double blasts in northeast China – official

BEIJING, China (UPDATED) – Twin blasts rocked a high-rise in northeast  China on Friday, January 25, killing one person and injuring another in an incident being treated as a criminal case, local authorities said. The first blast happened at around 3:13 pm (0713 GMT) when the fire brigade received a ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 25th, 2019

Alleged ‘hit man’ gunned down in Quezon

LUCENA CITY---An alleged gun-for-hire was shot and killed by a still unidentified assailant in Tiaong town in Quezon province shortly before midnight Wednesday, police said. A Quezon police report said Leo Monares, 33, was driving his tricycle in Barangay (village) Lumingon around 11:20 p.m. when the gunman suddenly appeared and shot him twice on his head, killing him instantly. Investigators said the victim was allegedly involved in gun-for-hire activities and had a warrant of arrest for murder issued by a court in Rosario, Batangas. Police were investigating the shooting incident. DELFIN T. MALLARI JR./lzb...Keep on reading: Alleged ‘hit man’ gunned down in Quezon.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 17th, 2019

‘Mananabas’ Post in Facebook, a Hoax – Pangasinan PNP

The Pangasinan Police Provincial Office (PPPO) belied a viral post on Facebook about an alleged “Mananabas” roaming in villages in Dasol town and Alaminos City. Senior Inspector Ria Tacderan, information officer of PPPO, said there was no hacking incident recorded in Dasol and Alaminos City, or sighting of the “Mananabas” in those areas upon verification […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsJan 16th, 2019

Fire Razes Houses in Duljo Again

18 houses were affected in another fire incident on January 5, 2019 in Brgy. Duljo-Fatima just a few days after a major fire occurred at the same barangay on Christmas morning which took a child’s life. Around 6 in the afternoon a fire alarm was received by the Cebu City Fire Department prompting available units […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsJan 7th, 2019

LMP-Iloilo ‘to discuss’ Guimbal incident

By: Gail T. Momblan THE League of Municipalities of the Philippines (LMP) in Iloilo has yet to discuss the alleged mauling of a police officer involving Guimbal town mayor Oscar Garin. Iloilo 1st district Rep. Richard Garin and his father Mayor Garin are accused of manhandling Police Officer 3 (PO3) Federico Macaya Jr., a member of the […] The post LMP-Iloilo ‘to discuss’ Guimbal incident appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsJan 3rd, 2019

NEDA official faces probe over sexual harassment allegations

MANILA, Philippines – A high-ranking official of the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA)  is under investigation for alleged sexual harassment.  Details of the incident first surfaced in a column on the Philippine Daily Inquirer , which said that the official was drunk and "started fondling" a young female subordinate......»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 3rd, 2019

Alleged victim of Kevin Spacey sexual assault filmed part of incident

NEW YORK, USA – A young man who accused  Kevin Spacey of sexually assaulting him at a seaside restaurant near Boston in 2016 filmed part of the incident, according to court filings obtained by AFP.  The 59-year-old star of the House of Cards series, who has won ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 27th, 2018

Three students killed in China university laboratory explosion

BEIJING --- Three students were killed in a laboratory blast at a Beijing university on Wednesday, the city's fire department said, in an accident that blew out windows and left the building a blackened shell.   "There was an explosion at the experimental site during a scientific research experiment" on wastewater treatment in the Environmental Engineering Laboratory, the Beijing Fire Department said.   "The accident caused the death of three students," it added in a statement posted on its social media account.   The incident happened just after 9:30 a.m. (0130 GMT) at the Beijing Jiaotong University in the western part of the city.   Some 30 ...Keep on reading: Three students killed in China university laboratory explosion.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 26th, 2018

Second chances

Days before Christmas, a social media post of an incident of bullying on a hapless young student by a fellow student within school premises stirred fire and brimstone in the Jesuit-run Ateneo High School......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 26th, 2018

Makabayan bloc joins calls to sack Diokno

The Makabayan bloc at the House of Representatives joined other lawmakers in urging President Rodrigo Duterte to fire Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno over alleged anomalous insertions and allocations in the…READ The post Makabayan bloc joins calls to sack Diokno appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsDec 24th, 2018

Ateneo probes alleged bullying incident

Ateneo probes alleged bullying incident.....»»

Category: newsSource:  cnnphilippinesRelated NewsDec 20th, 2018

Armed men fire at delivery truck

NO ONE WAS hurt after armed men shot a delivery truck evening of Dec. 17, 2018 in Janiuay, Iloilo. The truck of MD ROS loaded with 2,200 heads of broiler chicken was passing by Barangay Caraudan, some 7 kilometers from Janiuay town, when the incident happened. The driver, Jereme Panghari, 36, and his two helpers, […] The post Armed men fire at delivery truck appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsDec 19th, 2018