Advertisements


PH Embassy in Syria warns Filipinos of mortar attacks in Damascus

  Filipinos residing in Syria have been cautioned as mortar attacks continue to poundDamascus, the country's capital. The Philippine Embassy in Syria issued a security advisory calling on Filipinos based inDamascus and nearby areas to take precautionary measures when strolling outside theirhomes or traveling to and from of their work place, Radyo INQUIRER reported on Saturday. "In the spate of the recent mortar shelling in the areas of Bab Touma and Abbasseen, whichhave injured several individuals, all Filipinos residing in Damascus and nearby areas arereminded to take precautionary measures," the advisory said. Bab Touma and Abbasseen are both major boroughs in ...Keep on reading: PH Embassy in Syria warns Filipinos of mortar attacks in Damascus.....»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerJan 13th, 2018

Clashes in Syria’s Damascus after surprise rebel attack – Al Jazeera

Heavy clashes rocked eastern districts of the Syrian capital on Sunday after rebel fighters launched a surprise assault on government forces, a monitor and state television said. Steady shelling and sniper fire could be heard across Damascus on Sunday as rebel factions allied with former al-Qaeda affiliate Jabhat Fateh al-Sham launched an attack on government positions in the city's east. The clashes centered on a government-held gap between two besieged opposition enclaves, the Jobar and Qaboun neighborhoods. The Ahrar al-Sham rebel group said fighters had &'8220;liberated&'8221; the area. Tahrir al-Sham &'' a umbrella group of rebels formed by Jabhat Fateh al-Sham last month &'' and the independent Failaq al-Rahman group also participated in the attack. Syrian state media said the military had repelled an attack by one group after &'8220;terrorists&'8221; infiltrated through tunnels in the middle of the night. Rebels detonated two large car bombs at 5:20am on Sunday close to the Jobar neighborhood. Tahrir al-Sham claimed responsibility for the attack. Rebels then advanced into the nearby Abbasiyn Square area, seizing several buildings and firing a barrage of rockets into multiple Damascus neighbourhoods, according to Rami Abdelrahman of the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. Government forces responded with nearly a dozen air strikes on Jobar, he added. Al Jazeera's Mohamed Al Jazaeri, reporting from near Damascus, said that at least 15 civilians had been killed after government forces shelled residential neighborhoods in Eastern Ghouta, but that the fighting had since become less intense. &'8220;This advance is the largest for opposition groups in over a year and a half,&'8221; Al Jazaeri said. &'8220;Military operations have not stopped in the area but it has calmed down. There remains sniper shooting from both sides and regime forces are shelling Jobar neighborhood, as well as other areas controlled recently by the opposition.&'8221; Control of Jobar &'' which has been a battleground district for more than two years &'' is divided between rebels and allied fighters on one side, and government forces on the other. It is one of three pockets in the Syrian capital still in opposition hands. The recent fighting has resulted in rebel control of industrial areas in Al-Qaboun in addition to parts of Abbasiyn breaking a siege on the area and linking it to Jobar neighborhood, which is connected to Eastern Ghouta, Al Jazaeri said. Joshua Landis, an expert on Syria at the University of Oklahoma, told Al Jazeera that the offensive had taken the government by surprise and that its response was likely to be very significant. &'8220;I don't think it's going to change the trajectory of the war, which has been seeing the regime make important gains and the opposition getting increasingly restricted. But it shows the opposition is far from dead. It shows also that this new combination led by [Tahrir al-Sham] is very potent,&'8221; Landis said. &'8220;The regime is going to realise that it cannot allow these two areas to linger there because they are beachheads for this Tahrir a-Sham group to make inroads into the Damascus area,&'8221; he said, adding the government would likely withdraw some forces from areas such as Homs and Hama to refocus on Damascus. &'8220;It means that the fight is still on, there are many fronts to this war, and the opposition remains powerful.&'8221; Syrian state TV aired footage from Abbasiyn Square, typically buzzing with activity but now empty except for the sound of shelling. Residents said artillery shells and rockets were landing in the heart of the city. The Observatory said rebel shells hit several nearby districts in Damascus, including Bab Touma, Rukn al-Din and the Abbasiyin area. Several schools announced they would close through Monday, and many civilians cowered inside in fear of stray bullets and shelling. According to the Observatory, the Faylaq al-Rahman group and the Fateh al-Sham Front &'' known as al-Nusra Front before it broke ties with al-Qaeda &'' were present in Jobar. &'8220;This neighbourhood is the most important front line because it's the closest rebel position to the heart of the capital,&'8221; said Abdel Rahman. Government forces have long sought to push the rebels out of the district because of its proximity to the city centre in Damascus. But with Sunday's attack, Abdel Rahman said, &'8220;rebels have shifted from a defensive position in Jobar to an offensive one&'8221;. &'8220;These are not intermittent clashes &'' these are ongoing attempts to advance,&'8221; he said. One rebel commander told the Associated Press news agency they launched the assualt from Jobar as a way to relieve allied fighters in the nearby districts of Barzeh, Tishreen, and Qabun from government attacks. &'8220;This is to relieve the pressure on rebels with the regime not stopping its bombardment and artillery shelling,&'8221; said Abu Abdo, a commander from Failaq al Rahman. The attack on Damascus comes just days before a fresh round of UN-brokered peace talks in Geneva aiming to put an end to Syria's six-year war. Rebels and government troops agreed to a nationwide cessation of hostilities in December, but fighting has continued across much of the country, including in the capital. Rebels said the army had advanced in the last two days after weeks of bombardment and aerial strikes aimed at regaining control of strategic areas inside the capital, a few kms away from President Bashar al Assad's seat of power. The army had advanced towards a road between Qaboun and Barza, whose capture severed the links between the two besieged rebel districts where tens of thousands of [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsMar 20th, 2017

PHL embassy in Malaysia warns Filipinos using backdoors as entry point

PHL embassy in Malaysia warns Filipinos using backdoors as entry point.....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsAug 26th, 2016

PHL embassy in Malaysia warns Filipinos using backdoors as entry point

PHL embassy in Malaysia warns Filipinos using backdoors as entry point.....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsAug 25th, 2016

No Filipino casualties in attacks in Brazil and France – DFA

MANILA, Philippines --- No Filipinos were reported to be among the casualties in the shooting incidents in Brazil and France, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said. In a statement on Wednesday, the DFA said that Ambassador to Brazil Marichu Mauro and Ambassador to France Ma. Theresa Lazaro informed the DFA home office "that so far there have been no reports of any Filipinos among the dead and injured in the two incidents." According to Mauro, four people were killed when a gunman on Tuesday opened fire at the end of the midday services at the Metropolitan Cathedral in the city of Campinas, 100 kilometers north of Sao Paolo. Mauro said the motive behind the shooting wa...Keep on reading: No Filipino casualties in attacks in Brazil and France – DFA.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated News17 hr. 40 min. ago

Malaysia foils terror attacks, arrests 2 Sayyafs in Sabah

ZAMBOANGA CITY – Two Filipinos who are members of the pro-ISIS militant group Abu Sayyaf, had been captured in Sabah […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsDec 11th, 2018

DFA welcomes 2nd extension of UAE amnesty program

MANILA, Philippines --- The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Tuesday welcomed the second extension of the United Arab Emirates' amnesty program for undocumented Filipinos. The amnesty program will allow more undocumented Filipinos in UAE to return home. First launched in August, the program deadline has bee extended until Dec. 31. With this, DFA advised the undocumented Filipinos to take the offer before the deadline. UAE authorities were expected to undertake an "extensive inspection campaign against violators of its residency laws at the start of the year," according to the Philippine Embassy in Abu Dhabi and Consulate General in Dubai. According to the DFA, 2,700 ...Keep on reading: DFA welcomes 2nd extension of UAE amnesty program.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 4th, 2018

DFA warns Pinoys in Libya on killings

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) yesterday warned Filipinos in Libya of reported cases of extrajudicial killings in its capital Tripoli......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 2nd, 2018

DFA warns Pinoys in Libya on killings

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) yesterday warned Filipinos in Libya of reported cases of extrajudicial killings in its capital Tripoli. Source link link: DFA warns Pinoys in Libya on killings.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 1st, 2018

Ambulances ‘repeatedly targeted’ in Syria conflict — study

LONDON — Ambulances have been intentionally and repeatedly targeted in Syria, researchers said on Tuesday, calling for more efforts to protect medical workers caught up in the conflict. The research, in the peer-reviewed journal BMJ Global Health, analysed reports of 243 attacks on ambulances in 2016 and 2017 and found more than half were deliberately […] The post Ambulances ‘repeatedly targeted’ in Syria conflict — study appeared first on Interaksyon......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsNov 28th, 2018

Around 100 Syrians struggle to breathe after toxic attack

DAMASCUS, Syria – Around 100 Syrians have been hospitalized with breathing difficulties in Aleppo, state media and a monitor said Sunday, November 25, after allegations rebels fired "toxic gas" on the regime-held city the previous day. A rebel alliance in nearby Idlib denied any involvement in the alleged attack. State news agency ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsNov 25th, 2018

U.S. embassy in DR Congo warns of possible terrorist threat

KINSHASA, DR Congo – The US embassy in Kinshasa said it has received information about a "possible terrorist threat" against its facilities in the Democratic Republic of Congo. With 4 weeks to go until a crucial election in the crisis-gripped central African nation, the American authorities urged its citizens to "keep ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsNov 25th, 2018

Istorya-DC honors the capital’s Fil-Am actors

  WASHINGTON, D.C. --For the third consecutive year, Istorya-DCmarked Filipino American History Month and Archives Month with a symposium at the Philippine Embassy's Chancery Annex building, Oct. 25.   The event was jointly hosted by the Rita M. Cacas Foundation (RMCF) Inc., the Philippines on the Potomac Project (POPDC) and the embassy.   This year's symposium, "Washington DC Filipinos in Theater," featured a night of "good conversation, great music, and sumptuous Filipino food," said a press release. "Tonight is made even more special by the fact that this is the first time that our participation is conducted under the auspices of Sentro Rizal W...Keep on reading: Istorya-DC honors the capital’s Fil-Am actors.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 31st, 2018

Avoid scams, don’t use gift cards to pay bills

  SAN FRANCISCO -- They may not be in the Philippines where the Christmas season is from September to December, but many Filipinos in the United States who love to send gifts to loved ones faraway turn to gift cards for convenience. This is all good; but the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) once again warns that gift cards should only be used as gifts, not for paying bills, to avoid falling prey to scammers.   FTC's associate director of Consumer Response and Operations Monica Vaca and director of the Division of Marketing Practices Lois Greisman stressed this warning during a media teleconference hosted by the Ethic Media Services.   With people becoming ...Keep on reading: Avoid scams, don’t use gift cards to pay bills.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 30th, 2018

Thousands of runners compete in smoggy Delhi half marathon

Thousands of runners brushed off health warnings Sunday to compete in the New Delhi half marathon, even as smog reached unhealthy levels in the world's most polluted major city. More than 34,000 runners hit the streets of the Indian capital for the 13.1 mile (21 kilometer) race that doctors wanted postponed because of Delhi's atrocious winter smog. The US embassy website Sunday showed levels of the smallest and most harmful airborne pollutants reached 199 at race time--- eight times the World Health Organization's safe maximum. At such readings, outdoor exertion is strongly inadvisable and doctors warn prolonged exposure can trigger asthma attacks, worsen lung conditions and...Keep on reading: Thousands of runners compete in smoggy Delhi half marathon.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 22nd, 2018

IS frees 6 hostages in exchange with Syrian government

BEIRUT --- The Islamic State group early Saturday released two women and four children they had been holding since July in the first part of an exchange with the Syrian government that will set free dozens of women related to members of the extremist group, opposition activists said. The women and children were among 30 people kidnapped by IS in the southern province of Sweida on July 25 when they carried out a raid that left at least 216 people dead. One woman died in IS custody while another was shot dead. In August, a 19-year-old man was also killed while in detention. The rare attacks in Sweida province, populated mainly by Syria's minority Druze, came amid a government off...Keep on reading: IS frees 6 hostages in exchange with Syrian government.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 20th, 2018

Rebels fire shells from Syria buffer despite heavy arms pullout

BEIRUT, Lebanon – Rebels have fired mortar shells from a planned buffer zone in northwest Syria, a monitor said Sunday, October 14 days after they were meant to have withdrawn such weapons from the area. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitor said rebels in the zone fired several "mortar shells ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 14th, 2018

SWS warns public of fake survey on Leni s mental health

In a statement posted on its website on Wednesday, SWS branded as 'fake news' the article published in the website Daily Readers claiming that 45 percent of Filipinos believe that Robredo.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsOct 11th, 2018

Filipinos safe in Bahrain after gas explosion — DFA

Filipinos were safe in Bahrain after a gas explosion caused the collapse of an apartment building in Manama, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) confirmed on Wednesday. Four people were killed while 20 others were injured in the aftermath of the explosion on Tuesday evening, the DFA reported. The Philippine Embassy in Manama reported to Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano that there were no Filipinos among the dead and injured in the incident. Philippine Ambassador to Bahrain Alfonso Ferdinand Ver said a gas cylinder explosion caused the building to collapse. /ee...Keep on reading: Filipinos safe in Bahrain after gas explosion — DFA.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 10th, 2018

Filipinos still prefer in-store shopping over online sites

FILIPINO consumers still prefer shopping in brick and mortar stores over online platforms, favoring the physical appeal of products despite the convenience of online purchases, according to a study by digital research and consulting firm, Research and Tech Lab (RTL)......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsOct 2nd, 2018

DFA monitoring situation in Iran after attack on military parade

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) started monitoring the situation in Iran after gunmen attacked a military parade on Saturday, killing at least 2r people and wounding more than 50 others. According to a DFA statement, the Philippine Embassy in Tehran had started gathering more information on the attack, which that took place in the southern city of Ahvaz, 820 kilometers southwest of Tehran near the border with Iraq. Ambassador Wilfredo Santos said gunmen wearing military uniforms staged the attack at around 9:00 a.m. local time. According to the DFA website, there are a total of 1,184 Filipinos in Iran as of June 1, 2017./atm READ: Gunmen attack Iran military parad...Keep on reading: DFA monitoring situation in Iran after attack on military parade.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsSep 22nd, 2018