Advertisements


Parents of Atio Castillo grateful for reopening of investigation

MANILA, Philippines – While the Department of Justice panel of prosecutors reopened the preliminary investigation on the hazing death of University of Santo Tomas freshman law student Horacio “Atio” Castillo III, the camp of Aegis Juris fratman and suspect John Paul Solano objected to its validity because it was ........»»

Category: newsSource: rappler rapplerJan 12th, 2018

Parents of Atio Castillo grateful for reopening of investigation - Rappler

Parents of Atio Castillo grateful for reopening of investigation - Rappler.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJan 12th, 2018

Atio died from hazing injuries, not from heart condition – parents

      University of Santo Tomas (UST) law student Horacio Tomas "Atio" Castillo III died from hazing injuries and not from a pre-existing heart condition, his parents asserted.   In the resumption of the Department of Justice's (DOJ) preliminary investigation on Thursday, Horacio Jr. and Carmina Castillo filed their reply-affidavit before the three-man investigating panel led by Assistant State Prosecutor Susan Villanueva.   The victim's parents sought the DOJ's indictment of the 31 respondents from the Aegis Juris fraternity allegedly involved in the fatal hazing of Castillo.   They said their son died "beyond dispute" from in...Keep on reading: Atio died from hazing injuries, not from heart condition – parents.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 9th, 2017

Atio’s parents express sentiments on Mark Ventura’s ‘detailed’ testimony

"We miss him. We cannot tell you how painful it is to lose a child," Carminia, mother of University of Santo Tomas (UST) law freshman Horacio "Atio" Castillo III said Fri.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsJan 12th, 2018

DOJ reopens probe on Atio Castillo hazing

State witness and Aegis Juris fraternity member Mark Ventura is set to appear before the DOJ as government prosecutors decided to re-open its preliminary investigation on the death of University of Santo Tomas law student Horacio Tomas ‘Atio’ Castillo III last September 17, 2017. #BeFullyInformed DOJ reopens probe on Atio Castillo hazing State witness and… link: DOJ reopens probe on Atio Castillo hazing.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJan 11th, 2018

DOJ reopens Horacio Castillo III hazing case

The Department of Justice (DOJ) has reopened the investigation into the death of University of Santo Tomas (UST) law freshman Horacio "Atio" Castillo III.   Assistant Prosecutor Attorney II Wendel Bendoval, a member of the panel of prosecutors handling the case, said the case has to be reopened even if it has been submitted for resolution last year to give way for the sworn statement of Aegis Juris fratman Mark Ventura.   Bendoval said they have just received last Jan. 3 the affidavit of Ventura, one of the 37 respondents to the death of Atio. He is already under the government's Witness Protection Program (WPP).   "It's material evidence we have to c...Keep on reading: DOJ reopens Horacio Castillo III hazing case.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 11th, 2018

Lacson on Atio hazing case probe: We’re only siding with truth

Senator Panfilo Lacson on Monday hit back at quarters questioning the impartiality of the Senate panels handling the investigation into the hazing death of freshman law student Horacio “Atio” Castillo III.    Source link link: Lacson on Atio hazing case probe: We’re only siding with truth.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsNov 6th, 2017

Atio s parents to meet Duterte on October 4 — Aguirre

MANILA, Philippines — Parents of hazing victim, Horacio “Atio” Castillo III, will meet with President Rodrigo Duterte Wednesday next week, October 4, Justice.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 28th, 2017

Gatchalian: Opening statement – investigation into hazing death of Atio Castillo

Gatchalian: Opening statement – investigation into hazing death of Atio Castillo.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 26th, 2017

Fireman recalls rescuing Atio, parents in 2005

MANILA, Philippines — Twelve years ago, University of Santo Tomas Law freshman Horacio “Atio” Castillo III had escaped death......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 25th, 2017

Atio Castillo's parents don't want Solano to become state witness

Atio Castillo's parents don't want Solano to become state witness.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 22nd, 2017

Authorities arrest friend in death of U Penn student

SANTA ANA, Calif. --- Authorities on Friday arrested a friend in the killing of a 19-year-old University of Pennsylvania student whose body was found buried in a shallow grave at a California park. Samuel Lincoln Woodward, 20, of Newport Beach was taken into custody for investigation of homicide after DNA evidence linked him to the death of college sophomore Blaze Bernstein, Orange County Undersheriff Don Barnes said. Woodward was the last person to see Bernstein alive, Barnes said. Woodward was interviewed by investigators after Bernstein was reported missing by his parents on Jan. 3. A sheriff's investigator wrote in court filings that Woodward appeared nervous, had scr...Keep on reading: Authorities arrest friend in death of U Penn student.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 13th, 2018

DOJ reopens Castillo case, ISIS’ virtual caliphate, Trump on climate accord | Midday wRap

Today on Rappler: The Justice Department reopens the preliminary investigation into the hazing death of University of Santo Tomas freshman law student Horacio Castillo III.  ISIS is taking refuge in its 'virtual caliphate' while on the brink of defeat in Iraq and Syria.  United States President Donald Trump says America could 'conceivably' ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 11th, 2018

SC orders release of Aegis Juris fratman from Senate detention

MANILA, Philippines – It's Christmas at home for Aegis Juris fraternity leader Arvin Balag after the Supreme Court (SC) ordered his immediate release from Senate, where he had been detained for contempt in the Horacio Castillo III hazing case investigation. The SC en banc issued a resolution on December 12, ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 22nd, 2017

Letters From Davao by Jun Ledesma

EJK THE FAVORITE DISH of the political opposition, leftists and the pan-handling human rights watch organizations had always been extra-judicial-killing. And their principal suspect is then Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Roa Duterte now President of the Republic of the Philippines.  EJK is actually a political propaganda leveled by the adversaries of the unbeatable Mayor who, during his term as mayor, ran practically unopposed. Those who salivate for the position and dared to run were not only trounced but end up humiliated because the results of the elections have always been lopsided in favor of Digong. The last attempt of his political rivals was to consort with the Commission on Human Rights which was then chaired by Leila de Lima. This was in 2009 a few months before elections in 2010. The local human rights organization and HRW New York connived with CHR to the death of what they claimed were 280 plus victims of EJK. As if this was not enough, they succeeded in bringing in Philip Alston, a Rapporteur of the United Nations Human Rights Commission, to lend drama to the much ballyhooed probe conducted by CHR Chair De Lima.  HRW New York also published a book titled “You Can Die Anytime…”. For over five months of intensive and expansive investigation within which time Duterte took a leave of absence and gave up his supervisory over the police,  to assure the probers a free hand, De Lima and her team never produced a piece of evidence. CHR Chair De Lima even added spice to her task. All the members of her probe team were from Manila. The summons and warrants she all secured from the Regional Trial Courts in Metro Manila because according to her she cannot trust the judges in Davao because they are scared of the Davao Death Squads of Duterte. Well, she became Secretary of Justice and then Senator. She continued haranguing Duterte with EJK issue. The sound bites had all become too familiar as it had become too boring. When she became Senator, she resurrected the EJK charges against Mayor Duterte, who had been catapulted to the highest position of the land by then. This time she had fellow Sen. Antonio Trillanes to revive her issue against Duterte. The duo produced two witnesses, Matobato and Lascañas who at the start of the senate drama contradicted each other but then later sang the same but discordant tune. Matobato had earlier confessed that by himself he killed over 200 on orders of Duterte. Lascañas who refuted the claims of Matobato later turned 180 degrees and joined him for reasons that can be subjected to millions of speculations. This time the duo claimed they buried more than 2,200 EJK victims in an abandoned quarry which is just about three kilometers from city hall. It was the same (Laud) quarry where, in 2009, CHR Chair De Lima made several diggings to look for cadavers but found none. Oh well, they actually unearthed an incomplete skeletal remains of what looked like a Cro-Magnon man along with two pairs of a new license car plates. If you do not call that planted pieces of evidence I do not know what those are but the RTC Judge in Makati threw these out for the badly deteriorated skeletons and the license plates are inadmissible in court. As DOJ Secretary and Senator one wonders why she never came back with pick and shovel this time with Matobato and Lascañas in tow. They could have easily pinpoint the graveyard since they alleged they buried their victims there. This time with more than 2,200 victims buried in that small quarry land, one can shoot an arrow in the air and it could fell anywhere on a burial ground and find their victims there. Instead, De Lima, Trillanes, Matobato and Lascañas opted to unearth their victims in the halls of the senate. I must say though that they succeeded in their quest because they not only increased the numbers of alleged EJK from 300 to 2,200 in Davao City alone and then to 3,000 plus which became the adopted figure of Time Magazine, Rappler and the rest of anti-Duterte publications. The exaggeration did not end there for anywhere from 7,000 to  over 13,000 is now what you see in their score board. The amplification of EJK estimates also depend on events. Before the ASEAN summit in Manila,  an organization even came out with a jarring figures alleging 30-million perished by EJK in the Philippines. Whatever are the concocted figures  by whoever extrapolates or publishes it the fact remains that majority of the Filipinos supports President Duterte on his war on drugs.  This is reflected by the results of surveys which complimented each other’s findings. The positive indicators however are always drowned by the noise and overestimations of the rabid critics of Duterte. For whatever reasons moreover, recently the razzmatazz over EJK had died down as quickly as the numbers of the victims rise. I can only attribute this to the potential bombshell that the controversial Dengvaxia vaccine will create. Suddenly parents of children inoculated with the vaccine are confronted with a terrible and horrible prospect their kids might suffer the severe attack of dengue. The attack dogs that had a pound of flesh of Duterte had their tails behind their legs and the rabid fangs clamped. It is time to think of how to parry the slings […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsDec 13th, 2017

These UAAP athletes took flight and now glide in the skies

Following former UST, PBA, and ABL skipper's Jeric Fortuna's exit from the basketball court to pursue a dream in becoming a pilot, he now follows several athletes who also have decided to venture in the aviation industry.  The former Growling Tigers captain may soon be called captain twice, once he completes his training and required flight hours to become a licensed pilot, following former teammates Khasim Mirza and AC Marquez.     First flight with capt @odlanyer_p ✈️ #pinaikot #nakakahilo A post shared by Jeric Fortuna (@jericfortuna_) on Dec 1, 2017 at 11:09pm PST Much like Fortuna, Udoy Belmonte, a key member of the UST championship teams in the early 1990s and a former PBA player with San Miguel Beer, became a pilot for Philippine Airlines a few years back and had never thought twice since.     Former UP Lady Maroon Southlyn Ramos meanwhile took to the skies as a flight attendant for Philippine Airlines.  Ramos applied for the job in 2014, took a couple of months training as was already in the skies by 2015. She said that she just decided to give the job a try, since she had already played her last volleyball game. Despite the arduous application process, she added that she was thankful she passed. "I have been enjoying seeing new places and meeting new people everyday," Ramos said in an online interview.   💯K.I.L.I.G 😍 #parangmayspark 🤩 A post shared by Southlyn Legaspi Ramos ✈️ (@southramos) on Nov 15, 2017 at 9:16pm PST   One of the more recent entries to the aviation industry is former Lady Archer Cyd Demecillo who played with De La Salle from 2010-16. She now works as a flight attendant for Qatar Airways.     We are ready for you ✈️🌍 A post shared by Cydthealee Demecillo (@theadidit) on Oct 17, 2017 at 6:54am PDT Demecillo was merely following the footsteps of Meriam Santiago-Abueva, and Erika Castillo, who were key players in Ramil de Jesus' first championship squad with the Lady Archers in Season 62.  Abueva works for the country's flag carrier, while Castillo serves Qatar Airways.     Haaaaa most awesome-balls cake ever 👍🏽👍🏽❤❤🤙🏽🤙🏽🥂🥂 most grateful to my girls ✈️✈️ #flyers #grateful #sandboxdiaries #goodvibes #weekendvibes #theperksofteaching A post shared by Bam Cas (@bambina1014) on Apr 13, 2017 at 4:58am PDT Special thanks to Myk Pulgar for helping make this article possible......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsDec 8th, 2017

Parents asked not to leave kids at home

BACOLOD City – “Don’t leave your children alone in the house.” This was the appeal of Sally Abelarde, Bacolod City Social Welfare Officer IV, to parents after three children died of suffocation in a fire that occurred in a barangay here. Abelarde said that, based on their initial investigation, the three Diloy children – Arthur […] The post Parents asked not to leave kids at home appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsNov 26th, 2017

UST law dean claims being ‘virtually exonerated’ in Atio hazing

Nilo Divina University of Santo Tomas (UST) law dean Nilo Divina insisted on his innocence in the Sept. 17 fatal hazing of law freshman Horacio "Atio" Castillo III, claiming he was "vir.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsNov 18th, 2017

Atio died due to hazing? Fratmen say that s out of this world

MANILA, Philippines — Members of the Aegis Juris Fraternity on Thursday presented three medical experts to back their claim that Horacio "Atio" Castillo died.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 16th, 2017

& apos;Out of this world& apos; to say Atio Castillo died of hazing – Aegis Juris fratmen - Rappler

'Out of this world' to say Atio Castillo died of hazing – Aegis Juris fratmen - Rappler.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsNov 16th, 2017

Out of this world to say Atio Castillo died of hazing – Solano camp

MANILA, Philippines – The camp of Aegis Juris fraternity member John Paul Solano further insisted on Thursday, November 16, that freshman law student Horacio "Atio" Castillo III did not die of hazing. After the Manila Police District (MPD) released its histopathological report stating that severe blunt traumatic ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsNov 16th, 2017