Advertisements


Lawyer suspended for sexual advances dismissed from XU in 2002

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/12 July) – The lawyer suspended by the Supreme Court on April 10 this year for making sexual advances to his students at Xavier University in Cagayan de Oro City had been terminated from his teaching post since September 2002, the school said in a statement Thursday. The SC suspended Atty. Cresencio Co-Untian […].....»»

Category: newsSource: mindanews mindanewsJul 12th, 2019

Xavier University law prof suspended for sexual harassment

Stressing that he abused the power he possessed over the victims, the Supreme Court suspended a lawyer and law professor for making sexual advances to his students at Xavier University in Cagayan de Oro City......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 10th, 2019

SC suspends Xavier University law professor for sexual advances to students

MANILA, Philippines – The Supreme Court has suspended lawyer and law professor Cresencio Co Untian Jr for making sexual advances to his students at Xavier University in Cagayan de Oro. The SC en banc suspended Untian from law practice for 5 years, and from teaching law ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 10th, 2019

SC suspends law professor for sexual harassment

THE SUPREME COURT (SC) sanctioned a lawyer in connection with an anonymous complaint filed against him in 2002 for sexually […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsJul 11th, 2019

New law punishes wolf whistling, catcalling, online sexual harassment

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has signed a law that penalizes wolf whistling, catcalling, misogynistic and homophobic slurs, unwanted sexual advances, and other forms of sexual harassment in public places, workplaces, and schools as well as in online spaces. The law, called the Safe Spaces Act or Republic Act ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 15th, 2019

Law professor suspended for sexual harassment

A law professor at the Xavier University in Cagayan de Oro City has been suspended for sexual harassment of his students......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 10th, 2019

Court to hear sex harassment case vs ex-TV exec, producer

ABS-CBN show biz reporter Gretchen Fullido is ready for the trial of the sexual harassment case she filed against a former news executive and a segment producer of the TV network, her lawyer said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 16th, 2019

Nishikori wins 2-day five-setter, Djokovic easily advances

By Samuel Petrequin, Associated Press PARIS (AP) — When it comes to the deciding set, count on Kei Nishikori. The Japanese player won his eighth consecutive five-set match on Monday to defeat Benoit Paire 6-2, 6-7 (8), 6-2, 6-7 (8), 7-5 over two days and set up a quarterfinal match against defending champion Rafael Nadal at the French Open. In a match ridden with unforced errors that featured 15 breaks of serve but also some beautiful shots, Nishikori prevailed after a nearly four-hour battle. Their fourth-round match had been suspended by darkness on Sunday, with Nishikori leading two sets to one. Nishikori extended his impressive record in five-set matches to 23-6, including a 6-1 mark at the clay-court Grand Slam. He also holds the best percentage of wins in deciding sets (132-45) — either in best-of-five or best-of-three matches — since the Open Era began in 1968. In damp conditions, Paire's all-risk tennis was working when they came back on court. The Frenchman saved two match points in the fourth-set tiebreaker and served for the match at 5-3, but he was finally made to rue his awful mistakes. "He was serving for the match, and I just tried to play one point at a time," Nishikori said. Paire hit 15 double-faults and 79 unforced errors. "Never easy to finish a match," Paire said. "It was tough emotionally. I'm very sad to lose this match but glad for what I did this week." Nishikori will play in a third quarterfinal match in Paris but faces a tall order in the next round. Nadal has won 10 of their 12 previous matches, including all three matches on clay. Top-ranked Novak Djokovic had an easier time against 45th-ranked Jan-Lennard Struff of Germany, becoming the first man to reach the French Open quarterfinals 10 years in a row with a 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 victory. His quarterfinal opponent will be No. 5 Alexander Zverev or No. 9 Fabio Fognini. In the women's draw, Sofia Kenin and Katerina Siniakova could not follow up their upsets of Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka. Kenin lost to eighth-seeded Ash Barty 6-3, 3-6, 6-0, while 14th-seeded Madison Keys advanced to last eight for the second straight year with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Siniakova. Keys and Barty will face off in the quarterfinals. "It's going to be a tough one," said Keys, a semifinalist in Paris last year. "I feel like clay actually suits her game really well with her kick serve and slice.".....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 3rd, 2019

NFL concussion fund pays out $485M, but legal fights resume

By Maryclaire Dale, Associated Press PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The NFL concussion fund has paid out nearly $500 million in its first two years, but some players' lawyers say there aren't enough doctors in the approved network to evaluate dementia claims. They went to court Tuesday to oppose a rule to require retired players to be tested by doctors within 150 miles (241 kilometers) of home to prevent "doctor shopping" and suspected fraud. Fund administrator Orran Brown said ex-players from around the country had flocked to four doctors now dismissed from the program who had "high-volume" traffic and some suspect findings. "We didn't notice it until the claims were coming in," Brown said. "Forty-six million dollars went out the door on these claims before we could flag it." Retired players can seek awards of as much as $3 million for moderate dementia and $1.5 million for mild dementia, although most men would get far less based on their age and years in the league. The settlement resolves thousands of lawsuits that alleged the NFL long hid what it knew about the risk of concussions. Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody, who has overseen the case since 2011, suggested the travel limit is needed to prevent abuse. "A few were brought to my attention where we had a lawyer from Pennsylvania and a player from Florida going to a doctor in Texas. And that was a red flag," Brody said. Philadelphia lawyer Gene Locks, who represents some 1,100 retired players, urged Brody not to adopt the rule, saying his clients agreed to the settlement believing they could choose their own doctors. "They had bad experiences with the NFL benefit program, both during their playing time and after their playing time, when they felt they were used and abused, and were not going to the doctors they wanted to," Locks argued. He said there are at least 30 different subspecialties of neurology, only a few of them well-suited to evaluate his clients. Brown acknowledged he's still trying to recruit doctors in some parts of the country for the program. He suggested Brody adopt the 150-mile (241-kilometer) rule but allow him to grant exceptions. The fund, expected to pay out more than $1 billion over 65 years, has paid out $485 million so far, and another $174 million in claims have been approved, Brown said. The NFL has appealed about 30% of the approved claims, but closer to 15% if the four doctors removed from the program aren't counted, according to players lawyer David Buchanan. If someone wants to travel "to see a world-renowned physician, or a world-renowned neuropsychologist, they should have that right," Buchanan said. Lawyers for the NFL monitored the hearing but did not take part in Tuesday's arguments. The settlement, forged in 2013 and later amended, offers more than 20,000 retired players baseline testing and compensation of up to $5 million for the most serious illnesses linked to football concussions, including Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and deaths involving chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. Many of the more serious — and more straightforward — claims were settled in the first years of the program......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 8th, 2019

In letter to NFL, lawyer for Chiefs Hill disputes abuse

By Dave Skretta, Associated Press KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — The attorney for Tyreek Hill sent a letter to the NFL on Thursday disputing child-abuse claims made by the wide receiver's fiancee, offering a point-by-point response to a secret recording of the couple that was made public last week. In the four-page letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Associated Press, attorney N. Trey Pettlon also said Hill was willing to cooperate with the league's investigation. "(Hill) categorically denies he has ever 'punched' his son in the chest or anywhere on his body, or otherwise touched him in the chest in a mean-spirited manner," Pettlon wrote, adding that the audio was recorded while Hills and his fiancee, Crystal Espinal, were considering separation. The NFL has declined to comment on the case. The Chiefs also have declined additional comment. The Chiefs suspended Hill indefinitely last Thursday, shortly after KCTV aired the recording in which the couple discusses injuries to their 3-year-old son. The following day, prosecutors in Johnson County, Kansas, reopened an investigation of Hill that had been closed just 48 hours earlier. On the audio, Espinal asks why the boy "kept saying, 'Daddy punches me,' which you do when he starts crying. What do you do? You make him open up his arms and you punch him in the chest." Pettlon wrote there have been times that Hill has "tapped his son gently" and told him to "Man up, buddy," or "Don't cry, my man." Pettlon also said Hill has always done so in a "calm voice" and that he has never punched or used his fist as a form of punishment. "The only thing Tyreek does with his son that is close to what she is describing as 'punching' is when they are playing," Pettlon wrote. Espinal also claims during the recording, made as the couple was walking through a Dubai airport, that Hill's son is "terrified" of him. Hill responds, "You should be terrified of me, too, bitch." "Instead of denying that his son was terrified of him a second time, something that has bothered him a great deal, he became frustrated and said she should be terrified, too," Pettlon wrote. "That comment is inexcusable, of course, and he wouldn't ask me to defend that here. That comment is also inconsistent with Tyreek's conversations with Ms. Espinal over the past several months." Pettlon said a forensic examiner has looked through extensive text messages between the couple and that never once does Hill call Espinal a derogatory name. In one exchange, according to Pettlon's letter, Hill tells Espinal after their trip to Dubai: "Crystal you know I didn't cause any bruising or harm to (our son) but for some reason I still may be charged." Espinal replies: "I know you didn't. I did. I hurt (our son). I'm the one that did it. I was hurt and mad you so I blamed you for everything." Pettlon also said that Hill is currently engaged in both family and individual counseling, "and he is committed to improving his life and becoming the best parent he can be." The Chiefs are in the midst of voluntary offseason workouts, and Hill has already been barred from attending, which is one reason why the NFL has not placed him on the commissioner's exempt list. Hill was drafted by the Chiefs despite a domestic abuse case in which he attacked Espinal while he was a student at Oklahoma State. Hill was kicked off the team there and wound up at West Alabama, and the Chiefs said at the time of the draft that he was undergoing counseling. That background, combined with the audio revealed hours before the start of last week's NFL draft, generated a substantial outcry that Hill should be released by the Chiefs. Some have even said Hill, one of the league's best wide receivers, should never play in the NFL again. Pettlon said Hill and Espinal continue to cooperate with investigators, and that District Attorney Steve Howe's office has reviewed the audio tape and has yet to prosecute either party. "It should be clear by now that there is a lot of information, including other compelling evidence that points to Tyreek's innocence, that is not a matter of public record and cannot be addressed in this letter," Pettlon said. "All indications are that the criminal investigation is over and Tyreek still maintains his innocence.".....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 3rd, 2019

Lawyer suspended over Vicki Belo insult: SC decision a 'paradox'

Lawyer suspended over Vicki Belo insult: SC decision a 'paradox'.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 8th, 2017

Lawyer suspended by SC over insults vs. Belo says punishment a 'paradox' - GMA News

Lawyer suspended by SC over insults vs. Belo says punishment a 'paradox' - GMA News.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJan 7th, 2017

Lawyer suspended over FB posts

In a decision, the Supreme Court ruled that lawyer Roberto “Argee” C. Guevarra was guilty of violation of the rules of the Code of Professional Responsibility for his posts in Facebook that “publicly insulted and undermined the reputation” of Dr. Victoria “Vicki” Belo-Henares and the Belo Medical Group Inc......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

SC suspends lawyer over insulting Facebook posts vs Vicki Belo

MANILA, Philippines — The Supreme Court (SC) on Thursday suspended from practice a lawyer who publicly insulted and undermined the reputation of Victoria “Vi.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

Lawyer suspended for insulting Vicki Belo on Facebook - Inquirer.net

Lawyer suspended for insulting Vicki Belo on Facebook - Inquirer.net.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

Murder case dismissed against ex-wrestler 'Superfly' Snuka

  ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania judge on Tuesday dismissed the murder case against former pro wrestler Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka, saying he is not competent to stand trial in the 1983 death of his girlfriend. The decision by Lehigh County Judge Kelly Banach comes a month after Snuka's lawyer told the court that his 73-year-old client has dementia, is in hospice care in Florida and has six months to live. The retired WWE star was charged in 2015 with third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the death of Nancy Argentino, whose body was found more than three decades earlier in their Whitehall Township hotel room. Prosecutors allege she was beaten, while Snuka has maintained she died from a fall. Authorities reopened the investigation after The Morning Call newspaper raised questions about the case in 2013. Banach had ruled last summer that Snuka was not competent to stand trial after his attorney argued the ex-athlete suffers from dementia, partly due to the head trauma sustained over a long career in the ring. Prosecutors countered that Snuka's brain shows normal signs of aging and suggested he might be feigning symptoms. At a hearing last month to re-evaluate Snuka's mental fitness, his wife told the judge that the family struggles to keep him from leaving home during bouts of psychosis in which he thinks he's late for a wrestling match. Banach then took time to review Snuka's medical records before ruling. On Tuesday, a spokeswoman for the district attorney's office said prosecutors are evaluating their options. Snuka's lawyer Robert Kirwan could not immediately be reached for comment. Snuka, a native of Fiji who previously lived in Camden County, New Jersey, was known on the wrestling circuit for diving from the ropes. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 4th, 2017

Southern Leyte mayor suspended, 3 councilors dismissed

MANILA, Philippines - The mayor of a town in Southern Leyte has been suspended and three members of the Sangguniang Bayan in Albuera, Leyte dismissed in conn.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 22nd, 2016

Dismissed Tallado wins TRO

By Juan Escandor Jr. NAGA CITY&'8212;The Court of Appeals granted suspended Camarines Norte Gov. Edgardo A. Tallado a temporary restraining order (TRO) against Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales and Interior Secretary Ismael Sueno and other Department of I.....»»

Category: newsSource:  bicolmailRelated NewsDec 15th, 2016

Dismissed Tallado wins TRO

By Juan Escandor Jr. NAGA CITY&'8212;The Court of Appeals granted suspended Camarines Norte Gov. Edgardo A. Tallado a temporary restraining order (TRO) against Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales and Interior Secretary Ismael Sueno and other Department of I.....»»

Category: newsSource:  bicolmailRelated NewsDec 15th, 2016

DOF sacks Cebu municipal treasurer, suspends 4 others

MANILA, Philippines - Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez has dismissed a municipal treasurer in Cebu and suspended four others including an agent of the Bure.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 25th, 2016

Adult film actress accuses Trump of unwanted sexual advances

Adult film actress accuses Trump of unwanted sexual advances.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 23rd, 2016