Advertisements


Ebola deaths rise to 26, says Congo health ministry

KINSHASA, Congo --- Congo's health ministry says there is one new death from Ebola, bringing to 26 the number of deaths from the deadly outbreak in Equateur province in the country's northwest. Four new cases have been confirmed as Ebola, said the health ministry in a statement released early Sunday. A total of 46 cases of hemorrhagic fever have been reported in the current outbreak, including 21 confirmed cases of Ebola, 21 probable and four suspected. Congo President Joseph Kabila and his Cabinet agreed Saturday to increase funds for the Ebola emergency response which now amounts to more than $4 million. The Cabinet endorsed the decision to provide free health care in the aff...Keep on reading: Ebola deaths rise to 26, says Congo health ministry.....»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerMay 20th, 2018

Ebola deaths rise to 26, says Congo health ministry

KINSHASA, Congo --- Congo's health ministry says there is one new death from Ebola, bringing to 26 the number of deaths from the deadly outbreak in Equateur province in the country's northwest. Four new cases have been confirmed as Ebola, said the health ministry in a statement released early Sunday. A total of 46 cases of hemorrhagic fever have been reported in the current outbreak, including 21 confirmed cases of Ebola, 21 probable and four suspected. Congo President Joseph Kabila and his Cabinet agreed Saturday to increase funds for the Ebola emergency response which now amounts to more than $4 million. The Cabinet endorsed the decision to provide free health care in the aff...Keep on reading: Ebola deaths rise to 26, says Congo health ministry.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 20th, 2018

Ebola death toll in DR Congo rises to 27

KINSHASA,  DR Congo – Two more people have died of Ebola in northwestern Democratic Republic of Congo, bringing the toll to 27 in nearly a month, the health ministry said on Wednesday, June 6. Of the two deaths, one occurred in the remote area of Bikoro, where the first cases were ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 6th, 2018

Congo announces 6 new confirmed cases of Ebola virus

Congo's health ministry has announced six new confirmed cases of the Ebola virus and two new suspected cases while a vaccination effort enters its second day......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 22nd, 2018

WHO says Ebola outbreak has spread to a Congo city

GENEVA, Switzerland (UPDATED) – The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has spread to a city, the World Health Organization said Thursday, May 17, raising concern the deadly virus may prove tougher to contain. ======================= The fresh outbreak, publicly declared on May 8 with 23 deaths so far, had previously ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 17th, 2018

Congo announces 9 suspected Ebola cases, including 3 deaths

KINSHASA — One person has been confirmed dead from Ebola in an outbreak in a remote corner of northern Congo as health authorities look into a total of nine.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 12th, 2017

WHO predicts Ebola outbreak in DR Congo could end soon

The director general of the World Health said Sunday he believed a swift end could be put to the outbreak of Ebola in northwestern DR Congo, some 21 days which has left 27 people dead over the past month. WHO predicts Ebola outbreak in DR Congo could end soon The director general of the World… link: WHO predicts Ebola outbreak in DR Congo could end soon.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsJun 11th, 2018

Chinese doctors to help fight Ebola in Congo

BEIJING -- A team of Chinese health experts will depart for the Democratic Republic of Congo this week to help fight an Ebola outbreak in the west central African nation. Gao Fu, head of the Chines.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsJun 6th, 2018

5 new Ebola cases in DR Congo, says authorities

MBANDAKA, DR Congo – Health authorities in Democratic Republic of Congo said on Saturday, June 2, they had detected 5 fresh suspected cases of Ebola in the deadly outbreak afflicting the northwest of the country. Three new cases were recorded in the Bikoro area and two in Wangata, the national health ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 2nd, 2018

Superstition stopping Ebola victims from seeking medical care

MBANDAKA, DR Congo – Health workers ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 23rd, 2018

DR Congo reports 3 new Ebola cases

KINSHASA, DR Congo – Three new Ebola cases have been confirmed in the Democratic Republic of the Congo's sprawling northwest taking the number of suspected infections to 43, the health minister said in a statement seen Saturday, May 19. Alarm bells sounded on Thursday after the outbreak, previously reported in a remote ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 19th, 2018

WHO says high risk Ebola will spread in DR Congo

GENEVA, Switzerland – An Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of the Congo has a high risk of spreading internally, the World Health Organization warned Friday, May 18, ahead of a meeting on whether to declare it an event of international concern. In a statement, the UN agency said WHO Director General ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 18th, 2018

WHO says Ebola outbreak has spread to DR Congo city

GENEVA — The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has spread to a city, the World Health Organization said Thursday, raising concern the deadly virus may prove tougher to contain. “One new case of Ebola virus disease has been confirmed in Wangata, one of the three health zones of Mbandaka, a city of […] The post WHO says Ebola outbreak has spread to DR Congo city appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsMay 17th, 2018

WHO reports new Ebola case in DR Congo, vaccine this week

KINSHASA, DR Congo – The head of the World Health Organization said on Sunday, May 13 there has been another reported case of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo and that an experimental vaccine to fight the disease is expected to become available in the country this week. Doctor Tedros ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 14th, 2018

Japan’s Unemployment Rate Rises for 1st Time in 9 Months in Feb.

Japan’s unemployment rate increased in February, the government said in a report on Friday. According to the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, the unemployment rate rose to 2.5 percent in the recording month, marking the first rise in nine months. Separately, the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare said that job availability in Japan […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsApr 2nd, 2018

SC upholds re-extension of martial law, Duque on Dengvaxia, Asian stocks plunge | Evening wRap

Today on Rappler: The Supreme Court upholds the constitutionality of President Rodrigo Duterte's extension of martial law in Mindanao until the end of 2018.  President Rodrigo Duterte wants all studies and exploration by foreign scientists in Benham Rise to stop.  Health Secretary Francisco Duque III and medical experts from the University of the Philippines-Philippine General Hospital say there's no need to panic over the alleged deaths ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsFeb 6th, 2018

Ambulance blast in Kabul kills at least 63, with 151 wounded

KABUL – The casualty toll in Saturday’s ambulance bomb attack in the Afghan capital Kabul has, so far, risen to at least 63 dead and 151 wounded, but the total may rise further, a health ministry official said. The Taliban claimed responsibility for Saturday’s suicide blast. They also claimed the attack on the Intercontinental Hotel […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsJan 27th, 2018

HIV-AIDS cases rising in Eastern Visayas

CATARMAN, Northern Samar: A rise in HIV-AIDS cases in Eastern Visayas has alarmed the Department of Health (DoH) here, prompting it to issue a warning about the spike in Region 8. Roderick Boyd Cerro, a nurse, said five of the 127 HIV/AIDS cases reported in August alone this year led to the deaths of the [...] The post HIV-AIDS cases rising in Eastern Visayas appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsDec 10th, 2017

Ebola-like Marburg virus kills 2 in Uganda – official

KAMPALA, Uganda – Two people have died from the Marburg virus in eastern Uganda, in the country's first outbreak of the deadly Ebola-like pathogen in 3 years, the health ministry said Thursday, October 19. "Blood samples were taken from two people who have since died and were found positive for Marburg", ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 19th, 2017

Russia says deadly Syrian airstrike targeted chemical weapons factory – CNN News

Russia's defense ministry is blaming a Syrian airstrike on a &'8220;terrorist&'8221; ammunition depot for the deaths of dozens of people in what has been described as a suspected chemical weapons attack in Syria's Idlib province. At least 70 people, including many children, died Tuesday after suffering symptoms of chemical poisoning, including foaming at the mouth and suffocation. According to a statement posted Wednesday on the Russian ministry's Facebook page, the strike hit &'8220;workshops, which produced chemical warfare munitions&'8221; in the eastern outskirts of the Khan Sheikhoun town. Activists said the Syrian regime dropped a chemical bomb and was responsible for the killings, leading the United Nations to replace a scheduled Security Council session for Wednesday morning with an emergency meeting. Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's military denied using chemical weapons and blamed rebels for the carnage. Eyewitnesses said the attack's aftermath was nightmarish and unlike anything that they had previously seen. Feras al-Jundi, a physician who was an early responder in the town of Khan Sheikhoun in Idlib told CNN that, upon entering the hospital where many victims were taken, &'8220;there were many, many atrocious things to see.&'8221; He described seeing whole families who had died, corpses of those who had perished instantly in the attack, and also the dying breaths of those who the medical teams were unable to save. &'8220;I have never in my life seen anything like that,&'8221; he told CNN's Christiane Amanpour. &'8220;The view was heartbreaking. It makes you (cry) blood.&'8221; He added he didn't see anyone who looked like a combatant among the dead. As an EU-UN chaired conference on Syria's future got underway in Brussels, the United States, Great Britain and France circulated a resolution to be presented at an emergency session at the United Nations Security Council condemning a suspected chemical weapons attack in Syria. If the resolution goes to a vote, it is likely to face a veto threat from Russia. The move is seen as forcing Moscow to be shamed by supporting the Assad regime even as it's again suspected of a chemical weapons attack. Arriving at the EU-brokered conference in Belgium, British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said of the suspected gas attack in Syria that he has &'8220;seen absolutely nothing to lead us to think that it is anything but the regime.&'8221; France's Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Development, Jean-Marc Ayrault, will use the Brussels meeting to &'8220;reaffirm that the international community must remain mobilized in the face of the tragic situation in Syria after six years of war,&'8221; according to a statement from his ministry. At the conference, which runs from April 4 &'' 5, he will &'8220;underscore the urgent need to implement a political transition in Syria,&'8221; the statement says. But Feras, the doctor who witnessed the aftermath of the attack, says the mood on the ground in some parts of Syria is frustration that the international community is not holding the Syrian regime to account for its atrocities. &'8220;I feel frustrated, because of the international community and the UN that have not forced the regime to abide by the Security Council resolution but&' has been watching and doing nothing, which has allowed the regime to keep bombing the people with cluster bombs, scud missiles and now gas.&'8221; US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley condemned the attack but previously had said that Assad's ouster was not a priority for the Trump administration. &'8220;Do we think he's a hindrance? Yes. Are we going to sit there and focus on getting him out? No,&'8221; she said last week. The Syrian Coalition, an umbrella opposition group, referred to the suspected chemical attack as a &'8220;crime similar to that in Eastern Ghouta in 2013 that the international community allowed to pass without accountability or punishment.&'8221; That attack tested the resolve of then-President Barack Obama in the face of atrocities committed by the Assad regime. Referring to the 2013 attack, McCain told CNN: &'8220;We've seen this movie before, it was when Barack Obama said they would have a red line, they crossed it and he did nothing. Bashar Assad and his friends, the Russians, take note of what Americans say.&'8221; The Ghouta attack prompted Obama to ask Congress to authorize military action against Syria in 2013. Shortly after, Syria agreed to a Russian proposal to give up control of its chemical weapons, leading Obama to retreat from threats of military action. White House press secretary Sean Spicer told reporters Tuesday that the attack is a &'8220;consequence of the past administration's weakness and irresolution.&'8221; Khaula Sawah, board member and former CEO of the Union of Medical Care and Relief Organizations (OUSSM), another umbrella organization, said that her field team in Idlib had received reports of whole families discovered dead, and were expecting the body count to rise. She said that her field team had reported that, while nerve gas cannot be confirmed at this time, based on the symptoms of the patients, doctors believe that this is some form of organophosphate nerve agent. &'8220;The symptoms rapidly developed within minutes, including redness of eyes, foaming at the mouth, contracted pupils, severe dyspnoea (labored breathing) or shortness of breath and suffocation,&'8221; she told CNN. &'8220;The symptoms progressed so rapid that fatality occurred within 10 minutes. If there were no supportive care or ICU, people were dying.&'8221; She said that a decontamination point had been set up for victims before taking them to Turkey to receive [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanaoexaminerRelated NewsApr 5th, 2017

GenSan folk warned of rise in dengue cases

GENERAL SANTOS CITY (MindaNews/09 February) &'8212; Health authorities here alerted residents anew over the increasing cases of the deadly dengue fever that already resulted to two confirmed deaths this year. Dr. Washington Loreno, City Health Office (CHO) chief, said people should remain cautious and vigilant as the disease incidence in the city has continued to [&'].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsFeb 9th, 2017