Advertisements


Confidence still high despite drop in foreign investments

Despite a dip in foreign investment pledges at the start of the year, investor confidence remains high, especially among domestic enterprises, the head of the Duterte administration's economic.....»»

Category: newsSource: philippinetimes philippinetimesJun 9th, 2018

Business confidence in PH still high despite drop in new foreign direct investment capital—Duterte adviser

Business confidence in PH still high despite drop in new foreign direct investment capital—Duterte adviser.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsOct 10th, 2017

Net FDI inflows on track to target

NET foreign direct investments (FDIs) recovered to a three-month high in July just as President Rodrigo R. Duterte formally occupied Malacañang, according to data the central bank released yesterday, riding on confidence in the newly seated administrat.....»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsOct 10th, 2016

Front Page: Net FDI inflows on track to target

NET foreign direct investments (FDIs) recovered to a three-month high in July just as President Rodrigo R. Duterte formally occupied Malacanang, according to data the central bank released yesterday, riding on confidence in the newly seated administration.....»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsOct 10th, 2016

Net ‘hot money’ hits 5-month high

Net foreign portfolio investments remained positive in August, rising to their highest in five months based on Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) data released on Thursday. The $225.85-million net “hot money” inflow—significantly higher than July’s $53.29 million—came as investments in peso debt instruments and Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE)-listed securities more than offset outflows. “This may be attributed [...] The post Net ‘hot money’ hits 5-month high appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsSep 13th, 2018

Job losses seen under Trabaho bill

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Ecozones Association (Philea) warned that the Tax Reform for Attracting Better and High-Quality Opportunities (Trabaho)  bill would have a negative impact on foreign direct investments in economic zones across the country. Philea  said the measure would mean job losses, lower production output and exports, capital flight, and other setbacks ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 30th, 2018

Foreign investments still coming

Foreign direct investments (FDI) continued to surge into the country for the January-May 2018 period, with registered net inflows hitting $4.8 billion, or a growth of 49 percent from the comparable period in 2017, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) said.   In a statement, the central bank said investment inflows were boosted by continued favorable investor sentiment on the back of the country's solid macroeconomic fundamentals and growth prospects.   The strong performance of inward investments in the first five months of the year came on the heels of a record high FDI figure of $10 billion recorded for all of 2017.   The latest data showed that net eq...Keep on reading: Foreign investments still coming.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 11th, 2018

Turkey shaken by financial fears, Trump rattles it further

      ANKARA, Turkey --- A financial shockwave ripped through Turkey on Friday, when its currency nosedived on concerns about its economic policies and a dispute with the U.S., which President Donald Trump stoked further with a promise to double tariffs on the NATO ally. The lira tumbled 14 percent in one day, to 6.51 per dollar, a massive move for a currency that will make the Turkish poorer and further erode international investors' confidence in the country. The currency's drop --- 41 percent so far this year --- is a gauge of fear over a country coming to terms with years of high debt, international concern over President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's push ...Keep on reading: Turkey shaken by financial fears, Trump rattles it further.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 11th, 2018

Foreign investments hit 7-month high in May 2018

The Philippines remains on the radar of foreign investors as direct investments surged by 143 percent to hit a seven-month high of $1.64 billion in May from $677 million in the same period last year, according to the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 10th, 2018

FDI net inflows grow by 142.9% in May 2018

FOREIGN direct investments (FDI) net inflows rose more than twice in May 2018 to US$1.6 billion from US$677 million recorded last year. This reflects continued investor confidence in the Philippine economy’s strong macroeconomic fundamentals and growth prospects. All FDI components yielded higher net inflows during the month. About eighty percent of FDI net inflows were […] The post FDI net inflows grow by 142.9% in May 2018 appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsAug 10th, 2018

May FDI data bare continued investor confidence

FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENT (FDI) net inflows to the Philippines more than doubled in May from a year ago to a seven-month high, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) reported on Friday. The post May FDI data bare continued investor confidence appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsAug 10th, 2018

PH foreign direct investment net inflows hit 7-month high in May

FOREIGN direct investment (FDI) net inflows in May hit a seven-month high of $1.645 billion, an increase of 142.9 percent or more than double the level posted a year earlier, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) reported on Friday. About 80 percent of the net inflows were in the form of intercompany borrowings, or non-residents’ investments [...] The post PH foreign direct investment net inflows hit 7-month high in May appeared first on The Manila Times Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimesRelated NewsAug 10th, 2018

Foreign investments soar 142.9% in May 2018

MANILA, Philippines– Investor confidence in the Philippine economy remained strong as foreign investments more than doubled in May. The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) reported foreign direct investments (FDI) net inflows soared 142.9% to $1.6 billion from $677 million recorded in 2017. The figure is also higher than April which hit ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 10th, 2018

June ‘hot money’ outflows accelerate as bears dominate stocks

Foreign capital lodged in short-term investments flowed out of the Philippines for a second consecutive month in June---a phenomenon attributed by the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas to rising returns overseas and investors' worries about high domestic inflation and the weakening currency. In a statement, the central bank said $516 million worth of registered foreign portfolio investments left the country last month, reversing the $73 million in net inflows reported during the same period last year. The June net outflows were also more than double the amount recorded in May of $206 million. "This may be attributed to the US Federal Reserve's decision to increase interest rates and i...Keep on reading: June ‘hot money’ outflows accelerate as bears dominate stocks.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 12th, 2018

US Fed: Trade uncertainty could erode investments, confidence

US central bankers warned Thursday that the risks and uncertainty created by tariffs and restrictive trade policies could undermine strong business confidence and investments. The Federal Reserve cited increasing concerns among businesses about domestic and foreign trade policies, as well as rising prices for goods like steel and aluminum. The minutes of the June 12-13 […].....»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJul 6th, 2018

Comment on Foreign direct investments surge by Foreign direct investments in the Philippines

[…] FOREIGN direct investments surged in March from a year ago and from the preceding month on the back particularly of equity capital placements amid sustained confidence in Philippine prospects, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) reported on Monday. Read the full story. […].....»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJun 21st, 2018

Foreign direct investments surge

FOREIGN direct investments surged in March from a year ago and from the preceding month on the back particularly of equity capital placements amid sustained confidence in Philippine prospects, the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) reported on Monday. The post Foreign direct investments surge appeared first on BusinessWorld......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJun 12th, 2018

FDI inflows up in Q1 2018

Net inflow of foreign direct investments rose to $2.18 billion in the first three months as investors continued to show confidence on the Philippine economy, according to the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 11th, 2018

Palace: Phl not taking soft stance on China

The Palace denied it is going soft on China amid reports of a resumption of build-up over disputed portions of the South China Sea (SCS) that foreign ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) have criticized. Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said the Philippines shares Asean leaders’ concern regarding China’s aggressive actions on what is said to be the world’s busiest waterways.The recently concluded Asean foreign and defense ministers in Singapore issued a statement that did not name China but said that “land reclamations and activities in the area . . . have eroded trust and confidence, increased tensions and may undermine peace, security and stability in the region.” The Asean ministers resolved to expedite the code of conduct (CoC) on how to negotiate with China regarding overlapping maritime claims.“Asean’s concern on the Chinese build-up is right because Asean, as a regional bloc, wants to adhere to discussions pertaining to the code of conduct,” Roque said.“We cannot be not joining the call because the Philippines is one of those concerned in this campaign,” he added.Roque also disputed views that Manila is not among those insistent in pressing Beijing to speed up the CoC drafting. “We are not being too soft (on China) but we have an established policy on that. Number one, of course, is we are one with Asean in recognizing that this is a concern for all Asean countries. Particularly that of the freedom of navigation in the West Philippine Sea,” Roque said.“Our common concern is peace security and stability in one of the world’s busiest sea lanes,” he added.During Manila’s hosting of the Asean last year, President Duterte did not cite the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) ruling that nullified Beijing’s sweeping claim over nearly the entire South China Sea.It was the Philippine government that contested China’s nine-dash-line claim before the Hague court. China, however, refuses to recognize it.Apart from the Philippines, other Asean countries also have overlapping claims at the South China Sea including Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei.Reclamation to continueChina in its known mouthpiece Global Times said Beijing is concentrating on civil and not military construction on islands in the South China Sea but insisted that the Chinese “will expand land reclamation.”“Most of the construction on islands in the South China Sea were completed in 2015 and the pace then slowed. Civilian facility construction is the major focus of the South China Sea islands building and the portion of defense deployment is relatively small,” Global Times quoted Chen Xiangmiao, a research fellow at the National Institute for the South China Sea.The size of some South China Sea islands will be further expanded in future through more dredging in the South China Sea region, Chen said.The relationship between China and other Southeast Asian countries, such as the Philippines, has becalmed in recent years, providing a golden opportunity for China to upgrade these areas, he said.China and the Philippines are enjoying good terms as President Rodrigo Duterte maintains a friendly policy toward China, Chen said. “But there is still some domestic pressure that urges Duterte to take a tough stance on China and the South China Sea issue,” Chen said.Foreign media like to hype China’s construction in the South China Sea as they try to make excuses to prevent China’s activities in this region, Zhuang Guotu, head of Xiamen University’s Southeast Asian Studies Center, told the Global Times.“China has the right to build whatever it needs within its territory,” Zhuang said.China’s military deployment in the South China Sea region was “not for military expansion,” but to defend its security and interests, he said.Zhuang and Chen warned the US is the biggest threat to stability in the South China Sea.“The US, Australia, Japan and other allies will constantly provoke China over this issue and that will incite other neighboring South China Sea countries to do the same,” Zhuang said.China’s construction projects in the region covered about 290,000 square meters in 2017, including new facilities for underground storage, administrative buildings and large radar, according to a report released in December on the nanhai.haiwainet.cn website run by the National Marine Data and Information Service and People’s Daily Overseas edition. No foreign vessels at BenhamThe Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has not monitored any foreign vessels at the Philippine Rise, formerly known as Benham Rise, during its latest patrol in the area. Lt. Col. Isagani Nato, AFP-Northern Luzon Command (Nolcom) spokesman, said that based on the latest patrol conducted by Nolcom troops, there was no presence of foreign ships at Philippine Rise.“As of now, we don’t have a report that there is presence (of foreign vessels) in Benham Rise,” said Nato.Earlier, Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol announced that President Duterte has banned foreign ships at the Philippine Rise and ordered the military to patrol the area.The announcement came following an uproar from government critics after the Duterte administration allowed the Chinese to conduct scientific research at the Philippine Rise.Nato, however, said that Nolcom is yet to receive official order regarding the matter.But Nato maintained that with or without the latest directive, Nolcom has regularly conducted air and maritime patrols along Philippine Rise.Apart from Nolcom, the Air Force and the Philippine Navy, Nato said that the Philippine Coast Guard, the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) and the Philippine National Police-Maritime Group (PNP-MG) also conduct their own patrol in the area.He said the Nolcom uses air and naval assets of the Navy and the Air Force units under its jurisdiction.“We conduct our patrols regularly. It is a mandate of Nolcom forces so that is continuous with or without the directive from higher ups,” said Nato.According to Nato, Nolcom conducts three to four maritime and air patrol at Philippine Rise per month as part of the government efforts to secure the country’s maritime domain.ML ruling lauded, hitThe Supreme Court’s (SC) decision to uphold Mr. Duterte’s year-long martial law extension in Mindanao also drew mixed reactions.The High Court on Tuesday voted 10-5 junking militant groups’ petition and finding “sufficient factual basis” to extend martial law and suspend the privilege of wirt of habeas corpus in Mindanao until December 31, 2018.Roque welcomed the ruling saying that it affirms the need to continue protecting citizens from the threat of terrorist groups, primarily Islamic State (IS)-inspired fanatics.But for Left-leaning groups who petitioned the SC to lift martial law, the court decision opens up more crackdowns and human rights violations.The Palace official has insisted that human rights will be respected amid security operations.“The SC ruling underscores the unity of the whole government in its bid to defeat terrorism and prevent the spread in other parts of the country of DIWW and other like-minded local and foreign terrorist groups,” Roque said.“The majority of votes is a manifestation of confidence on law enforcement agencies that they shall, like they had been doing before, continue to protect our people, secure Mindanao, and pursue the bigger task of rehabilitation while upholding the rule of law, Human Rights, and International Humanitarian Law,” he added.Human rights watchdog Karapatan sees the contrary in the government’s motives, saying that the year-long military rule will boost attacks on the people.The continuous implementation of martial law in Mindanao will allow the unhampered massive rehabilitation in war-torn Marawi City and boost the security forces campaign to finish off the rebellion, the Department of National Defense (DND) said. In a statement, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said that the Supreme Court’s decision affirming the constitutionality of the one-year extension of martial law in Mindanao will definitely boost government efforts to rebuild Marawi City and address continuing rebellion.The defense chief welcomed the SC decision as a vote of confidence to the government security forces.“The DND – AFP is grateful for the trust and confidence of our public institutions and the support of the Filipino people,” said Lorenzana. Mario J. Mallari.....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJun 7th, 2018

Philippines remains at bottom of FDI inflows in ASEAN

The Philippines still lags behind most of its peers in Southeast Asia in attracting foreign direct investments despite attaining record high inflows in 2017......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 6th, 2018

TURNING POINT: A Never Mind Governance

NAAWAN, Misamis Oriental (MindaNew / 29 May) – What can be better to a foreign policy that develops strong ties and strengthens friendly relations with a giant and powerful neighbor? Where foreign investments are promised to rise sky high to provide employment to the poor, hungry and jobless? And foreign assistance in the building of […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsMay 29th, 2018