Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Case for Bengals' 'Pacman' Jones on hold until next month

span style="font-size: 13px;">CINCINNATI (AP) — The court case for Cincinnati Bengals player Adam 'Pacman' Jones is on hold until next month. /span> A Hamilton County judge on Friday continued the case to Feb. 10. Prosecutor Joe Deters (DEE'-turs) has said he wants to know first what punishment Jones faces from the NFL. Jones' attorneys agreed to waive his right to a speedy trial. br /> An NFL spokesman said Thursday that Jones' case 'remains under review.' br /> Jones was jailed Jan. 3 on charges he head-butted police and spit on a nurse after his arrest for assault. He said he didn't think he should have been arrested. br /> His NFL career was in doubt after arrests and suspensions before the Bengals signed him in 2010 and he became a regular starting defensive back and punt returner. br />   .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 13th, 2017

Nation: De Lima faces charges over Dayan advice

THE DEPARTMENT of Justice (DoJ) has filed disobedience charges against Senator Leila M. de Lima, in connection with her advice to her former staff Ronnie P. Dayan to ignore the summons of the House of Representatives......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsDec 21st, 2016

Wenger concerned Chinese wages become benchmark for players

LONDON (AP) — Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is hoping the high quality of competition in Europe will keep players from leaving for the financial gain in China. Wenger is facing regular questions about the future of both Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez, and the big money on offer in the Chinese league can complicate negotiations. Argentine striker Carlos Tevez joined Shanghai Shenhua last month in a deal worth $40 million over two years. 'The danger (is) that the Chinese offers become the benchmark for Europe,' Wenger said Thursday. 'You cannot compete with that, but I still think that, when you're a footballer, the first thing is that you want to play against the best players in the best teams.' Wenger said players that want the best compensation for playing in the best quality league need not look to Asia. 'I think that combination is the best in England at the moment, so I don't see why the players should leave the English Premier League,' Wenger said. Wenger, whose team is fourth in the standings, has made only one signing in the January transfer window, picking up defender Cohen Bramall from non-league club Hednesford. Arsenal has also decided to keep captain Per Mertesacker for another season. Wenger announced Thursday that the club has taken up a one-year option to extend the contract of the 32-year-old German, who has not played this season because of a knee injury sustained during a friendly in July. Mertesacker faces a fight to get back into the team because Shkodran Mustafi, an offseason signing from Valencia, has built a strong partrnership with vice captain Laurent Koscielny at the heart of Wenger's defense .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 19th, 2017

Benguet Electric coop exec faces graft charges

Benguet Electric coop exec faces graft charges.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 19th, 2017

Ex-Agusan mayor faces raps for reimbursing personal expenses

MANILA, Philippines - A former mayor in Agusan del Norte is facing charges before the Sandiganbayan for allegedly reimbursing his and his wife’s personal exp.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 16th, 2017

Match-fixing back in spotlight on eve of first Grand Slam

JUSTIN BERGMAN, Associated Press   For Rafael Nadal and the other stars of tennis, there's a familiar ring to the questions being raised as the first ball is about to be struck at the Australian Open. Recent match-fixing sanctions and a new case are bringing fresh scrutiny to the integrity of the sport a year after corruption allegations cast a pall over the first Grand Slam of the year. '(It's) obviously negative, always in the first month of the season starts to happen,' Nadal said at the season-opening Brisbane International. 'You get tired about this kind of stuff, but the most important thing is fight against these kinds of things.' The headlines started appearing early in the new year. On Jan. 5, police in Australia charged an 18-year-old player with a match-fixing offense at a lower-tier tournament last October in Traralgon, near Melbourne. Days later, another Australian player, Nick Lindahl, now retired but once ranked in the top 200, was handed a seven-year ban and $35,000 fine from the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) for offering to throw a match at a minor tournament in the city of Toowoomba in 2013. Lindahl had already been fined after a criminal trial. Two other Australian players received lesser punishments in connection with the incident. While Traralgon and Toowoomba are far removed from the glittering lights of Melbourne Park, the timing of the developments was troubling nonetheless. Last season began similarly beneath a cloud of suspicion after a report by BBC and Buzzfeed alleged that tennis authorities had suppressed evidence of match-fixing and failed to investigate possible cases of corruption. The reports went over old ground, but the timing and the headlines overshadowed the tournament. 'I haven't heard anything (about match-fixing) since last year's Australian Open,' German player Mischa Zverev told The Associated Press last week in Brisbane. 'I think it was funny timing. ... Like the day before the Oscars, they're going to bring something up to make somebody not win it, or win it.' Since then, tennis leaders have gone into overdrive to restore confidence in the sport. An independent panel was created to review the TIU, the internal body tasked with combating corruption, and authorities promised to implement all of its recommendations when it is completed this spring. The TIU also took separate steps to strengthen its monitoring and investigation efforts, develop new anti-corruption education programs for players, and improve the transparency of its operations. In an email statement to The AP, the agency said nine players and officials were sanctioned last year for match-fixing — the most for a single year since the unit was established in 2008. Several were banned for life, including a young South African player and four officials from Turkey and Uzbekistan. The unit also expanded its outreach efforts with betting operators and regulators, leading to increased reporting of suspicious wagers. In 2016, the TIU received 292 betting alerts — an 18 percent increase over the previous year. The vast majority of those came from the Challenger and Futures circuits on the men's tour, considered the most at-risk for match-fixing given the lower likelihood of detection and the smaller earnings of the players. However, the TIU said three alerts were generated at Grand Slam events, as well. The agency was quick to note, though, that an alert isn't necessarily proof of match-fixing. Of the more than 114,000 matches played last year on the professional tours, only 0.2 percent triggered a suspicious betting alert. 'Tennis was one of the first major sports to recognize the potential threat of betting-related corruption and do something about it,' the TIU said. 'It will be for the independent review panel to take a view on the conduct and effectiveness of the unit and to put forward recommendations to improve the current structure and approach.' Whatever the investigators recommend, the fact remains the TIU faces an uphill battle. Technology has shifted the gambling landscape in such a way, it's increasingly difficult for monitors to keep up. In tennis, wagers aren't just placed on who wins or loses; bets can be placed during matches in real time on everything from total points won in a game to whether a set goes to a tiebreak. 'We're talking individual player activities here,' said Hans Westerbeek, dean of the College of Sport and Exercise Science at Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia. 'It's much easier to get into a situation where you approach individual players to do things that can be, if done well, quite well hidden from it being suspicious.' He likens it to the ongoing battle against performance-enhancing drugs. 'You're always struggling to keep up with the innovations that a better-resourced front of gambling operators, legal or illegal, will have available to advance their technology.' Ryan Rodenberg, an associate professor of forensic sports law analytics at Florida State University, says this is one reason a more sophisticated approach is critically needed. He recommends an internal monitoring system that analyzes each match for suspicious activity in real time, rather than relying solely on betting alerts. 'A robust betting data-monitoring operation would have both in-house capabilities and a number of collaborative information sharing agreements with third parties such as sportsbooks, private monitoring firms or academics,' he said. 'Anything less is sub-optimal.' With a limited budget of just $3.23 million for 2017, however, there is only so much the TIU can do. As such, preventative measures such as education have become a priority. More than 25,000 players and officials have completed the TIU's online anti-corruption training program, and a new version will be launched that players will be required to complete every two years. 'Educating players who are up-and-coming and those who support those players is a very good, positive and necessary thing to do,' Westerbeek says. 'Because the root of the problem is ... people not really (understanding) they're engaging in criminal activity.' ___ AP Sports Writer John Pye contributed to this report. .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 12th, 2017

Former Zamboanga del Sur mayor faces malversation charges

Former Zamboanga del Sur mayor faces malversation charges.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 11th, 2017

Florida shooting suspect faces charges with possible death penalty

Florida shooting suspect faces charges with possible death penalty.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJan 8th, 2017

Gov faces raps over calamity fund misuse

MANILA, Philippines – The Office of the Ombudsman has ordered the filing of charges against Negros Oriental Gov......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 6th, 2017

Hate crime charges over Chicago assault

Hate crime charges over Chicago assault.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 6th, 2017

Hate crimes charges over live-streamed Chicago assault

Hate crimes charges over live-streamed Chicago assault.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

Comeleak: Bautista faces criminal raps

MANILA, Philippines – Allegations of a so-called “Comeleak” have basis, and Commission on Elections Chairman Andres Bautista will face criminal charges for t.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

Marcelino’s Chinese co-accused yields to NBI; 2 men ask court to dismiss charges - InterAksyon

Marcelino’s Chinese co-accused yields to NBI; 2 men ask court to dismiss charges - InterAksyon.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsJan 4th, 2017

Marcelino’s Chinese co-accused yields to NBI; 2 men ask court to dismiss charges

Marcelino’s Chinese co-accused yields to NBI; 2 men ask court to dismiss charges.....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsJan 4th, 2017

Ex-DSWD Chief Cabral faces graft charges

Ex-DSWD Chief Cabral faces graft charges.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 4th, 2017
Category: newsSource:  manila_shimbunRelated NewsDec 30th, 2016

Ex-lawmaker faces charges over P15-M pork scam

Ex-lawmaker faces charges over P15-M pork scam.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 28th, 2016

3 Chinese, 3 Pinoys in P3.6-B drug bust charged

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) filed criminal charges before the Department of Justice (DoJ) against three Chinese and three Filipinos who were arrested during an anti-illegal drugs operations in San Juan City where authorities seized some P3......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsDec 27th, 2016

Datumanong faces ‘pork’ raps

MANILA, Philippines – The Office of the Ombudsman has ordered the filing of charges against former Maguindanao congressman Simeon Datumanong in connection wi.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 27th, 2016

Jack Lam faces new charges

Jack Lam faces new charges.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 23rd, 2016