Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




Pope changes Church law to make reporting sex abuse obligatory

VATICAN CITY – Pope Francis on Thursday, May 9, passed a measure to oblige those who know about sex abuse in the Catholic Church to report it to their superiors, following a global clerical pedophilia scandal. Every diocese in the world will now be obliged to have a system ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 9th, 2019

NFL concussion fund pays out $485M, but legal fights resume

By Maryclaire Dale, Associated Press PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The NFL concussion fund has paid out nearly $500 million in its first two years, but some players' lawyers say there aren't enough doctors in the approved network to evaluate dementia claims. They went to court Tuesday to oppose a rule to require retired players to be tested by doctors within 150 miles (241 kilometers) of home to prevent "doctor shopping" and suspected fraud. Fund administrator Orran Brown said ex-players from around the country had flocked to four doctors now dismissed from the program who had "high-volume" traffic and some suspect findings. "We didn't notice it until the claims were coming in," Brown said. "Forty-six million dollars went out the door on these claims before we could flag it." Retired players can seek awards of as much as $3 million for moderate dementia and $1.5 million for mild dementia, although most men would get far less based on their age and years in the league. The settlement resolves thousands of lawsuits that alleged the NFL long hid what it knew about the risk of concussions. Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody, who has overseen the case since 2011, suggested the travel limit is needed to prevent abuse. "A few were brought to my attention where we had a lawyer from Pennsylvania and a player from Florida going to a doctor in Texas. And that was a red flag," Brody said. Philadelphia lawyer Gene Locks, who represents some 1,100 retired players, urged Brody not to adopt the rule, saying his clients agreed to the settlement believing they could choose their own doctors. "They had bad experiences with the NFL benefit program, both during their playing time and after their playing time, when they felt they were used and abused, and were not going to the doctors they wanted to," Locks argued. He said there are at least 30 different subspecialties of neurology, only a few of them well-suited to evaluate his clients. Brown acknowledged he's still trying to recruit doctors in some parts of the country for the program. He suggested Brody adopt the 150-mile (241-kilometer) rule but allow him to grant exceptions. The fund, expected to pay out more than $1 billion over 65 years, has paid out $485 million so far, and another $174 million in claims have been approved, Brown said. The NFL has appealed about 30% of the approved claims, but closer to 15% if the four doctors removed from the program aren't counted, according to players lawyer David Buchanan. If someone wants to travel "to see a world-renowned physician, or a world-renowned neuropsychologist, they should have that right," Buchanan said. Lawyers for the NFL monitored the hearing but did not take part in Tuesday's arguments. The settlement, forged in 2013 and later amended, offers more than 20,000 retired players baseline testing and compensation of up to $5 million for the most serious illnesses linked to football concussions, including Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and deaths involving chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. Many of the more serious — and more straightforward — claims were settled in the first years of the program......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 8th, 2019

Sri Lanka Catholics say lonely prayers as churches close for 2nd week

NEGOMBO, Sri Lanka – Father Suranga Warnakulasuriya said prayers alone in his church Sunday, May 5, as Catholic services were suspended across Sri Lanka for the second straight week since the Easter suicide attacks. With the army staging raids across the country and authorities maintaining high levels of security, the country's ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMay 5th, 2019

Philippine church leader says sorry to youth for sex abuse- ucanews.com

Philippine church leader says sorry to youth for sex abuse UCA News The head of the Philippine Catholic bishops' conference has asked forgiveness for sex abuses committed by members of the clergy.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsApr 30th, 2019

Jihadists kill pastor, 4 others in Burkina church attack

OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso – Gunmen killed 4 worshippers and a pastor in the first jihadist attack on a church in Burkina Faso , security and local sources said Monday, April 29, in the latest violence to rock the formerly peaceful west African nation. The raid on Sunday, April 28, took ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 29th, 2019

Briton falls to death at 2022 Qatar World Cup stadium site

ROB HARRIS, AP Global Soccer Writer A British man fell to his death this week at a World Cup stadium building site in Qatar, where construction conditions have come under sharp scrutiny since the country was awarded the 2022 soccer tournament. The 40-year-old man has not been named by World Cup organizers or the company overseeing the building of the Khalifa International Stadium , which will also host the world track championships in 2019. The contractor, a joint venture between Belgian and Qatari firms, said it was still working with local authorities to establish the cause of Thursday's death. br /> 'The fatal accident took place while the worker was on a suspended catwalk platform designed to manage technical functions relating to sound and light installations,' Midmac-Six Construct said in a statement Friday. 'For unknown reasons one of the lever hoists supporting the platform failed, causing the fall of the worker, who was wearing all his safety equipment, including the safety harness. br /> 'Sadly, the harness was cut during the fall with a fatal outcome. What caused the cut is subject to further investigation.' br /> The stadium, which was first built on the site in 1976, is next to the Aspire sports academy and is described by organizers as 'Qatar's most historic stadium.' br /> 'All parties concerned will carefully review the circumstances of the accident and commit to take any necessary measures that can prevent its recurrence,' Midmac-Six Construct said. br /> Qatar's World Cup organizing committee is also investigating the incident and said it 'shares our deepest condolences with the family for their loss.' br /> Qatar has previously announced the death of four stadium workers, with one fatality the result of a work-related accident. br /> The focus of the scrutiny has been on Qatar's use of a low-paid, migrant workforce to build the sites for the first World Cup in the Middle East, but the organizers are also relying on expertise from Europeans to oversee projects. br /> FIFA, which awarded the World Cup to Qatar in a 2010 vote, said it 'deeply regrets the loss of life' at the stadium. br /> 'It is with great sadness that we send our sincere condolences to the victim's family and colleagues,' FIFA said in a statement. br />   .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 21st, 2017

P10-M cocaine seized

Agents of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) confiscated yesterday around R10-million worth of cocaine hidden in pieces of ceramics during a raid on a building in Quezon City, authorities reported yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 19th, 2017

Mexico s Catholic church calls for search for missing priest

MEXICO CITY — The Mexican Council of Bishops is calling on authorities to search for a priest who has been missing since Jan. 3......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 11th, 2017

ISIS-linked terror group leader killed in Sarangani

Police and government intelligence agents shot dead a leader of an alleged local extremist group claiming affiliation to the international terror group ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria) in a raid on a resort in Kiamba town of Sarangani early yesterday morning......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

The World: Turkey makes new arrests in hunt for Istanbul attacker

ISTANBUL -- Turkish police carried out a dawn raid in a town on the edge of Istanbul on Thursday and detained suspects thought to be linked to the nightclub attack which killed 39 people on New Year's Day, the state-run Anadolu news agency said......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

44 slaughtered dogs seized

44 dogs slaughtered for its meat were discovered by authorities who conducted a raid at a residence owned by a suspected dog meat dealer in Barangay San Roque......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJan 5th, 2017

2 militants linked to cafe siege killed in Dhaka raid

2 militants linked to cafe siege killed in Dhaka raid.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 25th, 2016

British police: 83 potential suspects in soccer abuse probe

LONDON — Police overseeing the sex abuse scandal in British soccer say 83 potential suspects have been identified and linked to 98 clubs......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 9th, 2016

New Krakow archbishop named to replace former top papal aide

WARSAW — Roman Catholic Church authorities in Poland on yesterday announced the successor to Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz, the retiring archbishop of Krakow wh.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 9th, 2016

Nation: Bomb defused near US Embassy linked to Maute group: officials

POLICE defused a bomb near the US embassy in Manila on Monday, with militants who had declared allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) group likely behind the attempted terrorist attack, authorities said......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsNov 28th, 2016

24 Chinese factory workers nabbed

Authorities arrested 24 Chinese who were found during a raid of four factories allegedly manufacturing fake cigarettes in Barangay Unzad here Friday......»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsNov 20th, 2016

German police probe possible DNA blunder in murder case

BERLIN — German authorities are investigating whether contamination was to blame for the discovery of DNA linked to a neo-Nazi at the site where a child's re.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 28th, 2016

351 public officials, village chiefs among drug surrenderers

By Jorge Hallare LEGAZPI CITY &'8212; Some 351 public officials in the Bicol region, mostly barangay officials, have surrendered to authorities from July 1 to October 21 for drug abuse. “We expect an increase in the number of these public officials .....»»

Category: newsSource:  bicolmailRelated NewsOct 27th, 2016

2 Chinese killed in raid on Isabela shabu lab

CAUAYAN CITY, Isabela, Philippines – Two Chinese nationals died in a firefight with authorities last Sunday when the police raided a shabu laboratory hidden.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 24th, 2016

House summons Leila driver, ex-DOJ official

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan, Philippines – Police authorities here have served subpoenas on two persons linked to Sen......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 5th, 2016