Advertisements


Brazil court dismisses lying charges against swimmer Ryan Lochte

Brazil court dismisses lying charges against swimmer Ryan Lochte.....»»

Category: newsSource: rappler rapplerJul 16th, 2017

Brazil court dismisses Lochte lying charges

Brazil court dismisses Lochte lying charges.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJul 16th, 2017

Brazil court allows prosecution of US swimmer Ryan Lochte

By Sarah DiLorenzo, Associated Press SAO PAULO (AP) — The prosecution of U.S. swimmer Ryan Lochte for filing a false police report during the 2016 Olympics is back on after a Brazilian court decision this week. During the games in Rio de Janeiro, the 12-time Olympic medalist told NBC that he and fellow swimmers were robbed at gunpoint in a taxi by men with police badges as they returned to the Olympic Village from a party. But prosecutors said Lochte invented the story to cover up the swimmers' vandalism of a gas station and an ensuing confrontation with security guards. The confrontation was captured by surveillance cameras at the gas station. Lochte later acknowledged he was intoxicated at the time and his behavior led to the confrontation. The initial claim appeared to confirm widespread fears before the Olympics that the event would be marred by rising crime rates in Rio de Janeiro, which has long struggled with violence. As Lochte's version of events began to shift, many Brazilians became annoyed that a false story about crime drew so much attention, when the city had hosted the games without major problems. The scandal drew international headlines and grew to overshadow the final days of the games. Lochte ended up serving a 10-month suspension from the U.S. national swim team for his behavior. Last year, a court dismissed the case against Lochte, but the Superior Court of Justice reversed that decision Tuesday. Prosecutor Rodrigo de Almeida Maia said Thursday that the next step is for Lochte's lawyers to present their defense. Lochte does not have to appear in person to defend himself, de Almeida Maia said. Steve Lochte, the swimmer's father, said by telephone that he had no comment and directed questions to his son or his son's lawyers. Jeff Ostrow, a lawyer who has represented Lochte in the past, did not immediately respond to an email and a voicemail message seeking comment. It was not clear if he would represent Lochte in this case......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 29th, 2018

Lochte legal woes mount in Brazil

RIO DE JANEIRO – Brazilian police charged American swimmer Ryan Lochte on Thursday with filing a false robbery report over an incident during the Olympics in.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 26th, 2016

SC Dismisses Peter Lim’s Plea to Stop Probe on Drug Case

The Supreme Court (SC) on Wednesday dismissed the petition filed by fugitive suspected drug lord Peter G. Lim last June in connection with his indictment on drug charges. In a minute resolution, the High Court’s Third Division, through Deputy Division clerk of court Misael Domingo C. Battung III, said the SC “resolves to dismiss the […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsSep 27th, 2018

Ex-Brazil football boss gets 4 years in prison in FIFA probe

NEW YORK --- A former South American football official convicted on corruption charges in the sprawling FIFA bribery scandal was sentenced in federal court to four years in prison on Wednesday. Jose Maria Marin, a former president of Brazil's soccer federation, also was ordered to forfeit $3.3 million and pay a $1.2 million fine in connection with his participation in a scheme to accept bribes in exchange for the media and marketing rights to various soccer tournaments, according to the office of the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York. "His crime was one of pure, unmitigated and unchecked greed," said Judge Pamela Chen, who said she wanted "to send a message ...Keep on reading: Ex-Brazil football boss gets 4 years in prison in FIFA probe.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 23rd, 2018

Ohio St suspends Meyer for 3 games for mishandled abuse case

By Mitch Stacy, Associated Press COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio State on Wednesday night suspended head football coach Urban Meyer three games for mishandling domestic violence accusations, punishing one of the sport's most prominent leaders for keeping an assistant on staff for several years after the coach's wife accused him of abuse. The move followed a two-week investigation into how Meyer reacted to accusations that former Buckeyes assistant Zach Smith abused his ex-wife, Courtney Smith. Zach Smith was fired last month after she asked a judge for a protective order. Courtney Smith alleged her husband shoved her against a wall and put his hands around her neck in 2015. The university put Meyer on paid leave and began an investigation after Courtney Smith spoke out publicly, sharing text messages and photos she traded in 2015 with Meyer's wife, Shelley Meyer. Shelley Meyer is a registered nurse and instructor at Ohio State. Trustees discussed the decision to punish Meyer in a marathon meeting Wednesday while Meyer awaited the decision. The investigation prompted a tweet from Meyer in which he insisted he followed proper protocols after learning of the 2015 accusations. But he also acknowledged lying to reporters a week earlier when he said he hadn't heard of the incident until shortly before he fired Zach Smith. The probe directly centered on the question of what Meyer knew and when. Meyer said in his tweet that he always elevated issues through the proper channels, and did so with the Smith situation in 2015. That contradicted what he told reporters at Big Ten media day a week earlier: "I was never told about anything and nothing ever came to light. I've never had a conversation about it. I know nothing about it." Speaking after the investigation was announced, Zach Smith said he spoke with Meyer at the time and athletic director Gene Smith also knew about the allegations. Zach Smith said Meyer told him he would be fired if the head coach found out Smith had hit his wife. Zach Smith — the grandson of late Ohio State coach and Meyer mentor Earle Bruce — has never been criminally charged or convicted of abuse. He has a charge of criminal trespass pending, and the Smiths are due in court next month for a hearing on a restraining order Courtney Smith was granted July 20. Meyer was heading into his seventh season at Ohio State, where he is 73-8 with a national title in 2014 and two Big Ten Conference championships. Ohio State's Title IX sexual misconduct policy includes reporting allegations of domestic violence made against university employees. Violating that policy allows Meyer to be fired with cause, according to provisions placed in his contract when it was extended in April by two years. The deal through 2022, increasing Meyer's salary to $7.6 million in 2018, with annual 6 percent raises. Meyer had about $38 million left on his contract. Ohio State's season starts Sept. 1 with a game against Oregon State in Columbus. In 2009, Zach Smith was accused of aggravated battery on his pregnant wife while he was working a graduate assistant for Meyer at Florida. The charge was dropped because of insufficient evidence. The Smiths separated in June 2015 and divorced in 2016. Meyer is one of the most accomplished coaches in college football history, with three national championships and a 177-31 record in 16 seasons at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and Ohio State, the team he grew up rooting for in Northeast Ohio. Meyer won national championships with Florida in 2006 and '08, but his teams also had more than two dozen players get into trouble with the law. He resigned twice at Florida, citing health reasons, first in the 2009 season after the Gators lost the Southeastern Conference championship game while trying to repeat as national champs. He changed his mind soon after and coached another season. The Gators went 8-5 in 2010, and afterward, Meyer stepped down for good. Meyer was out of coaching for a season but was hired by Ohio State in November 2011. The Buckeyes had fired Jim Tressel, another national championship-winning coach, before that season for lying to the NCAA and university about rules violation committed by some of his players. Since returning to coaching, Meyer's program has been one of the most dominant in college football, and his players have mostly stayed out of major trouble. Meyer faced some criticism in 2013 for allowing running back Carlos Hyde to return to the team after he was charged with striking a woman in a bar. The case was dropped by police when the woman chose not to pursue charges, but Hyde was suspended three games. The Meyer investigation cost $500,000 and was conducted by the national law firm Debevoise & Plimpton. Ohio State began investigating Meyer while also facing three federal lawsuits about its response to allegations of groping, leering and other misconduct by a deceased athletic department doctor who treated wrestlers and other students for two decades. The lawsuits alleging sexual abuse by Dr. Richard Strauss say Ohio State facilitated the abuse by ignoring complaints. Since Ohio State announced an independent investigation in April, more than 100 former students have come forward with accounts of sexual misconduct by Strauss. The allegations range from 1979 to 1997 and involve male athletes from 14 sports, as well as his work at the student health center and his off-campus medical office......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 23rd, 2018

Judge dismisses murder case against Makabayan 4

BAGUIO CITY — The Regional Trial Court Branch 40 in Palayan City, Nueva Ecija dismissed the double murder charges against former militant lawmakers on August 8 for lack of probable cause, favoring the Motion for Reconsideration filed by the accused on July 11......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsAug 19th, 2018

Swimmer Ryan Lochte suspended until July 2019 for use of IV

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla.--- Ryan Lochte posted a photo for the world to see, and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency noticed. It got him suspended --- again. The longtime U.S. swimming star has been banned from competition until July 2019, which means the 12-time Olympic medalist cannot compete as planned in the national championships that start this week in California. Lochte will also be ineligible for other top meets, including the Pan Pacific Championships later this year and next year's world championships. "This is devastating," Lochte said. He did not take a banned substance. But he got an intravenous injection of vitamins in May --- and since it exceeded 100 milliliters, n...Keep on reading: Swimmer Ryan Lochte suspended until July 2019 for use of IV.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 24th, 2018

Swimmer Ryan Lochte banned 14 months for anti-doping violation

LOS ANGELES, USA – Six-time Olympic gold medalist Ryan Lochte has been suspended 14 months for an anti-doping violation after he received an intravenous infusion, the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) announced on Monday, July 23.  While USADA said Lochte was not using a banned substance, athletes can typically only receive IVs ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 24th, 2018

Brazil authorities prevent former leader Lula from leaving country

SAO PAULO, Brazil – Former Brazilian president Lula Inacio Lula da Silva , who was planning to travel to Ethiopia, was not allowed to leave the country, the justice ministry said Thursday, January 25, one day after an appeals court upheld his conviction on corruption charges . Lula, once seen as the favorite ahead of October's presidential election in Brazil, was ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 26th, 2018

Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte marries mother of his infant son

GAINESVILLE, Fla. --- Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte has wed the mother of his 7-month-old son. Lochte and former Playboy model Kayla Rae Reid were married by a judge Tuesday in Gainesville, Florida, where Lochte attended college. Their son, Caiden, was born last June. According to the marriage license obtained by TMZ Sports, Lochte's father, Steven, was a witness. Lochte, a 12-time Olympic medalist, and Reid appear to be holding off on a honeymoon. He is scheduled to be in Austin, Texas, on Saturday to sign autographs at a swim meet, while Reid tweeted Thursday that she was on her way back to their California home with Caiden. The couple got engaged in October 2016, not long after L...Keep on reading: Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte marries mother of his infant son.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 13th, 2018

Suspension over, swimmer Ryan Lochte returns to competition

Suspension over, swimmer Ryan Lochte returns to competition.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 13th, 2017

IOC decides against further punishment for Ryan Lochte

LAUSANNE, Switzerland — Ryan Lochte will not receive separate punishment from the International Olympic Committee for lying about being robbed at gunpoint du.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 13th, 2016

Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte charged over Rio robbery lie

Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte charged over Rio robbery lie.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 26th, 2016

US of A: 121; Ryan Lochte, 0

The Ugly American just got uglier. Thanks to Ryan Lochte, a bemedalled American Olympic swimmer, who last week vandalized a toilet in Rio after coming intoxicated from a party, then urinated on a wall and later said he had been robbed at gunpoint by local.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsAug 23rd, 2016

Sponsors drop Lochte after Rio scandal

Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte lost four sponsorship deals Monday -- a major financial hit for the embattled gold medalist stemming from his spurious claim of being robbed at gunpoint in Rio, a story later discredited by Brazilian police......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 23rd, 2016

Ryan Lochte says ‘immature behavior’ got him into a mess

NEW YORK — American swimmer Ryan Lochte said he over-exaggerated what happened at a Rio de Janeiro gas station and acknowledged it was his "immature behavior" that got him and three teammates into a mess that consumed the final days of the Olympics.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 21st, 2016

Witness says no gun pointed at US tankers

RIO DE JANEIRO – A man who helped translate conversations between Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte, his teammates and armed security guards at a gas station says.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 20th, 2016

Brazil fines US swimmer USD10,800 for lying about attack

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Brazil's justice system imposed a fine of 35,000 reals (about USD10,800) on US swimmer James Feigen so that he could leave the country after falsely stating he had been a victim of an armed assault along with three of his other teammates.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 20th, 2016

Swimmer Ryan Lochte apologizes for fabricating robbery story

Swimmer Ryan Lochte apologizes for fabricating robbery story.....»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 19th, 2016