Advertisements


BoI-approved pledges surge in August

BoI-approved pledges surge in August.....»»

Category: financeSource: bworldonline bworldonlineSep 11th, 2019

Investment pledges surge 36% in 11 months

MANILA, Philippines – Sustained investor confidence on the back of the country’s sound economic fundamentals propelled investment pledges approved by the Boa.....»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 29th, 2016

Economy: Investment destination shifts as pledges surge

THE Board of Investments (BOI) approved P210.37 billion worth of investment pledges in the first seven months of the year, nearly double, or 98% higher from the P106.08 billion registered in the same period in 2015, riding on the surge of proposals for po.....»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsSep 7th, 2016

BOI-approved deals reach ₱609B in first eight months

Total investments approved by the Philippine Board of Investments (BOI) reached ₱609.04 billion by the end of August 2019, more than double (126.1 percent) the amount of ₱P269.3 billion in the same period last year. Data shows 98 percent of these investments are located outside of Metro Manila. Projected employment upon operations will reach 37,524 […] The post BOI-approved deals reach ₱609B in first eight months appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsSep 15th, 2019

Ukraine parliament approves lawyer Goncharuk as PM

KIEV, Ukraine – Ukraine's parliament on Thursday, August 29, approved President Volodymyr Zelensky's candidate for prime minister – a 35-year-old lawyer who works for his administration called Oleksiy Goncharuk. A majority of deputies voted to back Goncharuk, who has just 3 months of government experience and promised to "put ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 29th, 2019

House panel swiftly approves P673-million OVP budget for 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The proposed P673.02-million budget  of the Office of the Vice President (OVP) for 2020 breezed through the House committee on appropriations on Tuesday, August 27.  With no questions asked, the House panel members unanimously approved the OVP's budget, with the whole hearing ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 27th, 2019

United Kingdom pledges $12.3 million for fire-ravaged Amazon

BIARRITZ, France – British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Monday, August 26, pledged £10 million ($12.3 million) to help restore the Amazon rainforest which has been ravaged by fires, sparking a wave of global concern. The money would be made available immediately to help restore the habitat, including areas that have ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 26th, 2019

Ilocos Norte under state of calamity

LAOAG CITY — Ilocos Norte was placed under a state of calamity due to severe flooding brought about by monsoon rains and the onslaught of Tropical Storm Ineng on Saturday 24 August. In a special session held at the Sangguniang Panlalawigan Session Hall on Saturday afternoon, members of the Ilocos Norte board unanimously approved a […] The post Ilocos Norte under state of calamity appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsAug 25th, 2019

Forest fires in Brazil surge as deforestation accelerates

SAO PAULO, Brazil – The number of forest fires in Brazil surged in the first 8 months of 2019, official data show, as President Jair Bolsonaro faces growing criticism over rampant destruction of the Amazon. Nearly 73,000 fires were recorded between January and August, compared with 39,759 in all of 2018, ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 21st, 2019

Sotto says SOGIE bill has no chance of passing Senate

MANILA, Philippines – Senate President Vicente Sotto III told reporters on Wednesday evening, August 21, that the SOGIE (sexual orientation and gender identity and expression) equality bill has "no chance" of hurdling the upper chamber. Asked whether the SOGIE bill will be approved in the Senate, Sotto said that an anti-discrimination bill that ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 21st, 2019

China threatens sanctions on U.S. firms linked to Taiwan warplanes sale

BEIJING, China – China on Wednesday, August 21, blasted a huge planned US arms shipment to self-ruled Taiwan and threatened to sanction firms involved in the sale of F-16 fighter jets. The US State Department on Tuesday, August 20, approved the transfer of 66 Lockheed Martin-built F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan in a US$8 billion deal, following another ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 21st, 2019

U.S. State Dept approves sale of 66 F-16 fighters to Taiwan

WASHINGTON, DC, USA – The US State Department on Tuesday, August 20, approved the sale of 66 F-16 fighters to Taiwan , in a move expected to anger Beijing. Taiwan will get the latest version of the Lockheed Martin-built fighter, the F-16C/D Block 70, in the $8 billion deal, the State Department said. Secretary of ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 21st, 2019

House OKs bill increasing taxes on alcohol, e-cigarettes starting 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Filipinos may soon have to pay more for alcoholic drinks, electronic cigarettes, and products for vaping after the House of Representatives approved a bill increasing the excise taxes on these products. On Tuesday, August 20, lawmakers approved on 3rd and final reading House Bill (HB) ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 20th, 2019

Raiders GM to absent Brown: Time to be All in or all out

By Josh Dubow, Associated Press Oakland Raiders general manager Mike Mayock told disgruntled receiver Antonio Brown it's time to decide whether he's "all in or all out" about playing this season after losing a fight with the NFL and NFLPA over his helmet. Mayock issued a statement to reporters that the Raiders released in a video on Twitter expressing his frustration that Brown didn't participate in practice Sunday despite being healed from the frost-bitten feet that have sidelined him for most of training camp. GM Mike Mayock issued a statement today regarding Antonio Brown. pic.twitter.com/5ueLsrOmid— Oakland Raiders (@Raiders) August 18, 2019 "You all know that A.B. is not here today. So here's the bottom line. He's upset about the helmet issue. We have supported that. We appreciate that," Mayock said. "But at this point, we've pretty much exhausted all avenues of relief. So from our perspective, it's time for him to be all in or all out. So we're hoping he's back soon. We've got 89 guys busting their tails. We are really excited about where this franchise is going and we hope A.B. is going to be a big part of it starting Week 1 against Denver. End of story. No questions." Brown has been upset that the NFL and NFLPA won't allow him to use the same Schutt Air Advantage that he has used throughout his career. Brown filed a grievance over the issue that he lost on Aug. 12 and then set out to find a newer version of the helmet that was less than 10 years old to get approved. Brown's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said last week after Brown returned to the Raiders training camp facility that they had found several helmets and were waiting formal approval. Brown took part in pregame warmups before an exhibition game in Arizona on Thursday night and took part in a walkthrough on Saturday, prompting coach Jon Gruden to express confidence that he would soon be able to practice. The helmet was sent to the independent Biokinetics Inc. lab in Ottawa for testing with results shared with biomechanical engineers from both the league and union, a person familiar with the testing said on condition of anonymity because the results weren't released. The person said the helmet was no different than the 2010 version that had previously been rejected and both the league and union determined it wasn't safe enough to be used. Pro Football Talk first reported the failed test after the Raiders walkthrough on Saturday, prompting a profane response from Brown on Twitter. He then didn't take part in practice Sunday, leading to Mayock's forceful statement. Brown had 686 catches and 9,145 yards receiving the past six seasons in Pittsburgh, the best marks ever for a receiver in a six-year span. But he still wore out his welcome with the Steelers after leaving the team before a crucial Week 17 game last season and was able to be acquired by Oakland in March for the small price of third- and fifth-round draft picks. But the drama that surrounded Brown in Pittsburgh didn't stop upon his arrival with the Raiders even though he was given a hefty raise with a three-year contract worth $50.125 million. Brown injured his feet while getting cryotherapy treatment in France, forcing him to start training camp on the non-football injury list. Brown was activated on July 28 and participated in parts of two practices before leaving the team to get treatment on his feet and deal with the grievance with the NFL. Brown returned to the Raiders on Aug. 13 but still hasn't participated in a full practice all of training camp. The National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment sets performance and test standards for equipment. Brown's Schutt Air Advantage helmet is no longer allowed because the NFL follows the National Athletic Equipment Reconditioners Association (NAERA) rule that helmets 10 years or older cannot be recertified. Schutt discontinued making the helmet three years ago because current technology had moved past it, according to the company. Brown was one of 32 players using helmets last season that are now banned by the league and players' association. Those players, including Tom Brady, were able to use the helmets last season under a grace period but were required to make the change in 2019......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 19th, 2019

Dengvaxia revival amid national dengue epidemic calls for more information

Screengrab from the DOH Facebook page.WITH THE continuing surge in the number of dengue cases, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III issued a national dengue epidemic alert on August 6. Durin.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsAug 13th, 2019

Siemens in billion-euro deal for surgical robots firm

FRANKFURT, Germany – German industrial conglomerate Siemens said on Thursday, August 8, its medical devices arm had agreed to buy US surgical robots maker Corindus for one billion euros ($1.1 billion), in a deal that must still be approved by shareholders and regulators. "Siemens Healthineers will acquire all fully diluted shares ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 8th, 2019

NCAA donates P100,000 to Batanes earthquake victims

MANILA, Philippines – The NCAA Management Committee (MANCOM) unanimously approved a cash donation of P100,000 for the victims of the twin earthquakes that hit  Batanes on July 27.  NCAA MANCOM chairman Peter Cayco said on Monday, August 5, the donation will be turned over to Batanes provincial officials led by Governor Marilou Cayco on ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 6th, 2019

Duterte approves P4.1-trillion national budget proposal for 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Duterte administration is now gunning for a national budget of P4.1 trillion in 2020. President Rodrigo Duterte and his Cabinet approved the national budget proposal prepared by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) during the monthly Cabinet meeting on Monday, August 5. The proposed 2020 budget ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 6th, 2019

Dela Rosa confident death penalty bill will be approved

HAGONOY, Davao del Sur (MindaNews / 04 August) – Senator Ronald de la Rosa on Sunday said his bill proposing death penalty for drug traffickers stands a good chance of getting Congress’ approval compared to other bills restoring capital punishment not just for drug-related cases but also for heinous crimes and plunder. He said the […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsAug 5th, 2019

BoI OK’s 27% more investment pledges

THE BOARD of Investments (BoI) approved 27.4% more committed investments last semester from a year ago, fueled especially by power projects, the agency said in a press release on Wednesday......»»

Category: newsSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJul 11th, 2019

San Francisco first major U.S. city to ban e-cigarette sales

LOS ANGELES, USA – San Francisco on Tuesday, June 25, became the first major US city to effectively ban the sale and manufacture of electronic cigarettes. The city's legislature unanimously approved an ordinance which backers said was necessary due to the "significant public health consequences" of a "dramatic surge" in vaping ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJun 26th, 2019