Advertisements


Baguio landslide kills 2

TWO people were killed when the barracks they were staying in was buried in a landslide in Baguio City on Wednesday afternoon. Police identified the fatalities as Patrick Lachica, 23, of Beckel, La Trinidad, Benguet and Hannah Jean Aragon, 22, a resident of Happy Homes. Both are employees of FCL Laranang Construction, the firm building […].....»»

Category: newsSource: tribune tribuneJun 14th, 2018

DENR suspends operations vs small-scale mining in Itogon

BAGUIO, Philippines – Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu has ordered the suspension of operations against small-scale mining in Itogon, Benguet. Cimatu issued the order nearly a month after he stopped small-scale mining in the town following the landslide that killed over 80 people there. (READ: Itogon: When the land of promise buried its people ) “I have stopped ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsOct 13th, 2018

Retrieval operations end at Itogon landslide site

BAGUIO, Philippines – After two weeks, retrieval operations for landslide victims ended in Barangay Ucab in Itogon, Benguet , late Sunday afternoon, September 30. All of the missing were accounted for on Sunday, after the retrieval of two more unidentified bodies at Portal 07 in Barangay Ucab. A total of ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 30th, 2018

Ifugao cries the loudest over Itogon landslide dead

BAGUIO, Philippines – The mountain falling down in Ucab was heard from a kilometer but the cries were heard 200 kms. away. Most of the 59 who died in Ucab, Itogon, because of the huge mountainslide  – including the 12 missing – from 12 days ago were from Ifugao province. Hingyon, a ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 28th, 2018

22 bodies left to be retrieved in Cordillera landslide sites

BAGUIO, Philippines – After 12 days, the search for bodies in Itogon is coming to its end, police said. The Police Regional Office – Cordillera (PRO-Cordillera) said that as of Wednesday, September 26, they only have 22 bodies left to retrieve in Benguet, as well as two in Guisad ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 26th, 2018

No one found alive inside Itogon bunkhouses

BAGUIO, Philippines – Rescuers at Ucab, Itogon, in Benguet on Tuesday, September 25, reached the pre-landslide level of the bunkhouses hit by landslides.  One of the miners involved said they have not found anyone alive inside the bunkhouses, however. The rescuers had been using backhoes and canine units to speed up ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 25th, 2018

Politicians can learn from them

Baguio City musicians do their bit in raising money to provide financial relief to victims of the landslide in Itogon, Benguet and other areas devastated by typhoon “Ompong.” The artists’ sense of solidarity was in contrast to detractors of President Rodrigo Duterte accusing him of following in the footsteps of former President Ferdinand Marcos who […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsSep 21st, 2018

New landslide kills 10, buries houses in Philippines

Rescuers search houses for survivors after a landslide struck a village in Naga city, Cebu province central Philippines on Thursday Sept. 20. (AP Photo)… Source link link: New landslide kills 10, buries houses in Philippines.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsSep 21st, 2018

New landslide kills 10, buries houses in Philippines

Rescuers search houses for survivors after a landslide struck a village in Naga city, Cebu province central Philippines on Thursday Sept. 20. (AP Photo)........»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsSep 21st, 2018

New landslide kills 21, buries houses in Philippines

Associated Press NAGA, Philippines (AP) - A massive landslide buried dozens of homes near a central Philippine mountain Thursday, killing at least 21 people and sending rescuers scrambling to find.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsSep 21st, 2018

Landslide kills 12 in the Philippines, dozens feared trapped

MANILA — A landslide triggered by heavy rains on Thursday killed at least four people in the central Philippines, with dozens feared trapped in the latest of a string of deadly incidents over six days. Four people were pulled out alive after boulders and earth loosened by rain engulfed a cluster of homes near a limestone quarry […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsSep 21st, 2018

New landslide kills 12 in Cebu

New landslide kills 12 in Cebu.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 21st, 2018

Stop shaming, blaming others for Benguet landslide tragedy — Baguio bishop

Set aside politics and stop blaming and shaming people for the landslide in Benguet that buried more than 60 miners and their families, Baguio Bishop Victor Bendico appealed to the public yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 21st, 2018

Itogon mayor: Benguet Corp s fault miners were in landslide-prone area

BAGUIO CITY, Philippines – It was Benguet Corporation's fault that dozens of miners and their families were allowed to live near the company's Antamok mining area – an area vulnerable to landslides – Itogon town Mayor Victorio Palangdan said on Wednesday, September 19. "May security guard po ang Benguet Corporation ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 20th, 2018

Itogon women trek a mountain to feed families as men dig for missing

BAGUIO CITY, Philipines – In Itogon, Benguet , while the men are busy digging for missing persons , the women are holding the fort at home.  On Wednesday, September 19, some Itogon women flocked to the operations and relief center in Barangay Tuding, which is adjacent to the landslide-devastated Barangay Ucab . ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsSep 19th, 2018

Baguio Boys: MMA champ Eduard Folayang reconnects with high school friend and star boxing trainer Marvin Somodio

After spending the last month or so training at the Jackson-Wink MM Academy in Albuquerque, New Mexico, former ONE Championship Lightweight World Champion Eduard Folayang made a quick stopover in Los Angeles, California, before finally heading back to the Philippines, Tuesday.  While in Los Angeles, Folayang was able to reconnect with an old high school friend in former boxer-turned-coach Marvin Somodio.  Like Folayang, Somodio is a native of Baguio City.  "Sobrang saya ko na nakita ko si Marvin kanina." Folayang shared with Steve Angeles of ABS-CBN News. "Naalala ko nung nasa high school kami, naglalaro siya ng boxing and I’m playing Sepak Takraw, and you never imagine that in that long period of time, there are a lot of changes," Fun fact: before becoming an MMA star and Wushu standout, Folayang's first sport was Sepak Takraw.  Somodio did go on to become a professional boxer, but his career lasted just three fights, two wins and one loss. He eventually found his calling as a trainer and began in Baguio City. Now, Somodio is the chief assistant trainer in Freddie Roach's Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles, California.          View this post on Instagram                   Hitting some mitts with @marvinsomodio in @wildcardwest @tristeezy_mma @bviloria @jayanthony714 @the.landslide #growing #learning A post shared by Eduard Landslide Folayang (@the.landslide) on Sep 17, 2018 at 12:36pm PDT "Ang maganda dun, we follow what we love, we follow the passion that we love, and now we met each other having the same passion." said Folayang.  Both Folayang and Somodio have found success in their respective fields of combat sports, with Somodio being a trainer to world champions in boxing, while Folayang having established himself as the face of Filipino MMA.  "Yung makikita mo siya na very successful, makikita ka niya na successful din, dito pa sa America, iba yung pakiramdam." Folayang added.    H/T: Steve Angeles, ABS-CBN News.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 18th, 2018

Landslide kills couple; more Luzon villages flooded

A couple died on Saturday when their house was buried in a landslide at Kibungan town in Benguet province due to monsoon rains that hammered Northern Luzon over the weekend, according to the Office of Civil Defense.   Florentino and Cristina Ligaten were killed by the erosion as strong rains pounded the village of Madaymen but their son, Clifford, survived and is being treated at Atok District Hospital.   In Ilocos Sur on Sunday, volunteers rescued a 3-month-old child, a pregnant woman and members of three households from the flooded section of the village of Talogtog in Candon City.   Nonstop rain   Candon has been under water, along with ...Keep on reading: Landslide kills couple; more Luzon villages flooded.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 26th, 2018

ONE: No More Detours - Kevin Belingon wants Bibiano Fernandes next

Six years since his ONE Championship debut, Team Lakay’s Kevin ‘The Silencer’ Belingon is finally a World Champion in the martial arts promotion. At ONE: REIGN OF KINGS last 27 July, in front of a partisan pro-Philippines crowd at the SM Mall of Asia Arena, Belingon defeated reigning ONE Featherweight and Lightweight World Champion Martin ‘The Situ-Asian’ Nguyen to capture the ONE Interim Bantamweight World Championship. For Belingon, it was a childhood dream come true. “I can’t explain this feeling. I’m the happiest athlete tonight,” Belingon said during the post-match interview. “Thank you to all the people who came out to support me, and of course to ONE Championship, my team, my coaches and trainers, and my teammates,” With the win, Belingon becomes the fifth Filipino to capture ONE World Championship gold, as he joins reigning ONE Heavyweight World Champion Brandon ‘The Truth’ Vera, as well as Team Lakay stablemates in reigning ONE Flyweight World Champion Geje ‘Gravity’ Eustaquio, former ONE Lightweight World Champion Eduard ‘Landslide’ Folayang, and former ONE Featherweight World Champion Honorio ‘The Rock’ Banario. And while making history as a world champion is indeed a prestigious feat, even more important for Belingon is that he’s finally secured his spot as the next person to challenge reigning ONE Bantamweight World Champion Bibiano ‘The Flash’ Fernandes. Fernandes is currently recovering from an injury, and when the most dominant champion in ONE Championship history finally returns, Belingon will be right there, waiting for his rematch. (READ ALSO: No longer just a contender, Kevin Belingon has more surprises in store for Bibiano Fernandes) “I respect [Bibiano] as a champion, but we are in the same weight class, and I am the top contender, so there is no escape in facing me. I hope you recover fast, and that we can make the fight this year.” Belingon said. Belingon and Fernandes first shared the cage back in January of 2016 at ONE: DYNASTY OF CHAMPIONS, in Changsha, China, with Fernandes retaining the title via a first-round submission win. The loss did nothing but fuel Belingon’s world championship dreams even more, and the road back to the championship picture was a long one for the 30-year old, who had to run through a gauntlet of former world title contenders and a two-division champion in a just under two years. Currently riding six straight victories dating back to October of 2016, Belingon has taken out the likes of Toni Tauru, Reece ‘Lightning’ McLaren, Andrew Leone, and Nguyen, pretty much a who’s-who in ONE Championship’s bantamweight division. “I have faced many tough opponents leading up to this interim title, and I believe I have earned my spot to face Bibiano again,” Belingon said in an interview with ONE Championship’s official website. Now, the Baguio City native has his sights firmly set on Fernandes and the ONE Bantamweight World Championship. Nothing else, no one else. “I am looking forward to our rematch. No more detours. Bibiano should be next, and I fully expect to be facing him soon.” Surely, ‘soon’ can’t fast enough for Belingon, but the reality is that he’ll have to wait for Fernandes to be cleared to compete. In the meantime however, the newly-crowned interim champion could use some time off as well, to heal up before getting back to business. He is, after all, coming off a tough five-round main event. “Right now, I am just focused on resting and healing my body. I am pretty banged up. My ankle and shin are bruised, and they need time to recover,” Belingon said. “Once everything is good to go, then I will be back in training. But for now, I am going to enjoy the rest. It still has not sunk in that I am a World Champion.” He continued. While indeed, the record books will show that Belingon has already held world championship gold, the Filipino star knows in himself that there’s still one more bit of work to be done, and that’s to avenge his loss to Fernandes and become the undisputed ONE Bantamweight World Champion. “Until I beat Bibiano, [however], I will always feel like there is unfinished business to take care of.”.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 7th, 2018

WATCH: Team Lakay shows you how to shop Baguio-style

Ah, Baguio City, the so-called 'Summer Capital of the Philippines.' Baguio is known for quite a lot of things, among them being strawberries, the ukay-ukay markets, and of course, Team Lakay, the Philippines' top mixed-martial arts stable.  Based in La Trinidad, Benguet, Team Lakay is home to some of the country's top mixed-martial artists, including reigning ONE Championship world champions Geje 'Gravity' Eustaquio and Kevin 'The Silencer' Belingon, as well as former ONE world champions Eduard 'Landslide' Folayang and Honorio 'The Rock' Banario just to name a few.  And of course, if you wanted to experience some of the best sights and sounds that Baguio has to offer, who better to take you around, other than this group of Baguio City natives?  Watch as Team Lakay Head Coach Mark Sangiao and the rest of the team show you how to go on an ukay-ukay shopping spree, as well as the many products that you can get from strawberries!  For more ONE Championship content, check out our ONE Championship section! .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 6th, 2018

Bontoc councilor s wife killed in road crash

BAGUIO, Philippines – The wife of a radio anchor and town councilor in Bontoc, Mountain Province, was killed when their van was hit by a landslide early Wednesday morning, July 18. Luisa Caowa-ing Pelew, a teacher at Guina-ang Elementary School, was killed when their van was partially crushed by boulders at about ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJul 19th, 2018

Two dead in Baguio landslide

Two people were buried alive this afternoon, June 13 when a portion of Sandico Street, Barangay Salud Mitra collapsed into an area excavated for the construction of a building dragging along the makeshift office of FC Laranang Construction......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsJun 13th, 2018