Advertisements


About-face

About-face.....»»

Category: newsSource: thestandard thestandardJan 24th, 2017

Ghosn faces new underreporting charge worth $35M

TOKYO, Japan – Ousted Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn will face a further accusation of underreporting his salary by about 4 billion yen ($35.5 million) over the last 3 years, Japanese media reported Wednesday, December 5. Tokyo prosecutors plan to "rearrest" the business tycoon along with his right-hand man and former Nissan representative ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 5th, 2018

YouTube top earners: The seven-year-old making $22m

A SEVEN-YEAR-OLD boy who reviews toys has been revealed as YouTube’s highest-earning star, raking in $22m (£17.3m). The estimate by Forbes magazine found that Ryan of Ryan ToysReview pipped Jake Paul by $500,000 for the 12 months to June. Videos are posted most days and one promoting a blue giant mystery egg bearing Ryan’s face […] The post YouTube top earners: The seven-year-old making $22m appeared first on The Daily Guardian......»»

Category: newsSource:  thedailyguardianRelated NewsDec 5th, 2018

Sagay massacre witness’ father, Negros Occidental cops face raps

Criminal charges have been filed against several policemen and the father of the 14-year-old witness in the killing of nine farmers in Sagay town in Negros Occidental......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 5th, 2018

Man City faces repercussions for misleading UEFA on finances

By Rob Harris, Associated Press LONDON (AP) — European soccer's leadership has an initial conclusion on leaked Manchester City correspondence: The club has been misleading UEFA over its finances. With the power to ban clubs from the Champions League, the consequences from UEFA could be severe for the Premier League champions. UEFA discovered from reading internal emails from City, which were published by German media outlet Der Spiegel last month, the extent of schemes by the club to allegedly cover up the true source of income in a bid to comply with Financial Fair Play regulations, a person with direct knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the situation publicly while UEFA conducts a review of the City case. City has been transformed into an English soccer power in the decade since being bought by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, a deputy prime minister of the United Arab Emirates and a member of Abu Dhabi's royal family, winning the Premier League three times since 2012. But unfettered spending on players has been restricted by European soccer's governing body — regardless of the owners' wealth. City has already been punished by UEFA for violating FFP, striking an agreement in 2014 that saw the team fined rather than banned from the Champions League for inflated sponsorship deals with companies linked to the club or its ownership. UEFA publicly said last month that evidence from "Football Leaks" could lead to past cases being re-opened. The person with knowledge of the situation said it was more feasible to use the leaks to re-assess the candor of club executives and as a basis to judge City's compliance with FFP in the current three-year assessment period. That covers 2015 when Der Spiegel said emails were being sent internally at City showing the manipulation of sponsorship revue from Etihad Airways, the state-owned airline from Abu Dhabi, which is the naming rights sponsor of City's stadium and training campus as well as appearing on jerseys. The sponsorship was said to generate 67.5 million pounds (about $85 million) annually for City. But City's holding company — the state-backed Abu Dhabi United Group — channeled 59.9 million pounds back to Etihad, according to Jorge Chumillas, the club's chief financial officer, in an internal email to club director Simon Pearce. City has not disputed the authenticity of any emails published by Der Spiegel over the last month. Given the fresh insight into City's financial dealings, UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin has said there was a "public interest" in the correspondence being leaked, while questioning how it was obtained. "We are assessing the situation. We have an independent body working on it," Ceferin said Monday. "Very soon you will have the answers on what will happen in this concrete case." FFP was the flagship policy of Michel Platini, Ceferin's predecessor as UEFA president, and introduced at the height of the global financial crisis in attempt to prevent clubs from becoming unsustainable. Since July 2011, UEFA has monitored the accounts of all clubs entering its two club competitions. The first period UEFA assessed clubs for compliance with FFP was 2011-13, when owners were allowed to cover losses up to 45 million euros. The leaks showed how City allegedly tried to artificially raise its revenue, in one case by 30 million euros, according to emails from 2013 reported by Der Spiegel. Abu Dhabi United Group was alleged to be sending cash to a shell vehicle which was created to supposedly buy the right to use players' images in marketing campaigns. There were further examples that Sheikh Mansour could have been the source of sponsorship revenue for Abu Dhabi state-owned companies like investment firm Aabar. Der Spiegel cited a 2010 email to Aabar from Pearce, the City director who also works for Abu Dhabi's Executive Affairs Authority. "As we discussed, the annual direct obligation for Aabar is GBP 3 million," Pearce wrote. "The remaining 12 million GBP requirement will come from alternative sources provided by His Highness." Seeing internal City correspondence has given UEFA a greater insight into the conduct of the club and its officials. A 2014 email from City lawyer Simon Cliff to a colleague showed the death of UEFA's lead FFP investigator being celebrated: "1 down, 6 to go." UEFA is examining whether to open disciplinary cases against individuals at City involved in attempts to provide a misrepresentation of club finances to the governing body's FFP accessors, another person with direct knowledge of the situation said. The person, who did not identify any individuals, spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the City case. A challenge for UEFA is getting City to provide information from related companies in Abu Dhabi that the leaks show are central to compliance with FFP. City has repeatedly declined to respond to the specific allegations in the leaks, dismissing a month of negative headlines by saying: "The attempt to damage the club's reputation is organized and clear." But City has had no such qualms using its website to cast aspersions on the reputations of other clubs over their ability to comply with FFP. City has used the media watch section on its website to cite unsubstantiated news reports, including a claim in 2016 that "Inter Milan are looking to circumnavigate FFP" and speculation this year that if Paris Saint-Germain "are found to have broken FFP regulations they face being booted out of the Champions League." Those pages were deleted from its website after City was approached for comment by the AP......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsDec 5th, 2018

CIBI: The face of financial inclusion

Finally, the Philippines has an answer to the perennial problem of access to credit that hinders growth of the micro and small enterprises. CIBI: The face of financial inclusion Source link: CIBI: The face of financial inclusion.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 4th, 2018

Storytelling via real-time tweets | Inquirer Lifestyle

Visit us on Instagram To be You; Facebook: To be You; e-mail inq.tobeyou@gmail.com Let's face it, reading can get boring. When reading a book, for instance, we tend to skim through uninteresting p.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsDec 4th, 2018

Kian delos Santos killers face trespassing raps - Philippine Star

Kian delos Santos killers face trespassing raps - Philippine Star.....»»

Category: newsSource:  googlenewsRelated NewsDec 4th, 2018

Kian delos Santos killers face trespassing raps

Two police officers found guilty of killing 17-year-old Kian Lloyd delos Santos will face trial for illegally entering his house in an alleged illegal search before dragging him outside and killing him in a major drug sweep last year......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 4th, 2018

Will Eraserheads perform at Game 2 of UP vs Ateneo UAAP finals?

Rumors of a possible reunion of the Eraserheads had surfaced after two of its former members posted a practice video and a request message on social media. Both posts teased that this will be a show of support for the University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons who will face the defending champion Ateneo de Manila […] The post Will Eraserheads perform at Game 2 of UP vs Ateneo UAAP finals? appeared first on Interaksyon......»»

Category: newsSource:  interaksyonRelated NewsDec 4th, 2018

Cavite cop who beat recruits with baseball bat may face dismissal | ABS-CBN News

A police officer in Cavite may be dismissed from service over a video that shows him allegedly beating up new recruits with a baseball bat, the National Police Commission said Tuesday......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsDec 4th, 2018

UAAP Season 81 high school volleyball: NU, DLSZ girls open title series

Five-peat seeking National University and De La Salle-Zobel open their best-of-three title series in the girls division of the UAAP Season 81 high school volleyball tournament at 12 noon Wednesday at the Filoil Flying V Centre.        The Bullpups won their first meeting, 22-25, 25-23, 25-15 25-22, in their first meeting last Oct. 14, before the Junior Lady Spikers rebounded with a 25-18, 25-12, 18-25, 25-20 win that ended their foes nine-match unbeaten run last Nov. 21.        Graduating skipper Faith Nisperos will banner NU, along with last year's MVP Mhicaela Belen and Alyssa Solomon, while setter Camilla Lamina has proved her worth as worthy replacement for Joyme Cagande in orchestrating their plays.      Angel Canino and Alleiah Malaluan, who finished 1-2 in scoring in the preliminaries, will lead De La Salle-Zobel, which is making huge strides under coach Tina Salak.        The Junior Lady Spikers are making their first Finals appearance since completing a three-peat in 2013 with a powerhouse roster led by Kim Kianna Dy and Dawn Macandili, where they beat the Bullpups in the Finals. Incidentally, De La Salle-Zobel is the winningest girls program with nine championships.        Boys titleholder University of Santo Tomas and Far Eastern University-Diliman will dispute the remaining Finals slot at 10 a.m.  The winner of the do-or-die match will face NU in the best-of-three series starting Sunday......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsDec 4th, 2018

LTFRB to sanction drivers who fail to charge minimum P9 fare rollback

LTFRB warned drivers that they might face sanctions should they fail to implement the provisional minimum fare rollback to P9 which took effect today. LTFRB to sanction drivers who fail to charge minimum P9 fare rollback Source link: LTFRB to sanction drivers who fail to charge minimum P9 fare rollback.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilainformerRelated NewsDec 4th, 2018

Not just a fashion statement: Bush’s socks spoke volumes

    HOUSTON --- President George H.W. Bush said a lot with socks. A visit from friend and fellow former president, Bill Clinton, inspired him to wear a pair emblazoned with Clinton's face. He wore Houston Texans' socks when meeting with the head coach. At the funeral for his wife, Barbara Bush, he wore socks featuring books as a tribute to her work promoting literacy. Bush, who was a naval aviator in World War II, will be buried this week wearing socks featuring jets flying in formation --- a tribute, his spokesman said, to the former president's lifetime of service. The mayor of Houston urged people attending a City Hall tribute to Bush on Monday evening to wea...Keep on reading: Not just a fashion statement: Bush’s socks spoke volumes.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 4th, 2018

More than 150 women, girls raped in South Sudan — UN

More than 150 women and girls have come forward in the past 12 days to seek help in South Sudan after they were raped or suffered other forms of sexual violence, the heads of three UN agencies said Monday. Armed men, many in uniform, carried out the attacks near the northern city of Bentiu, according to a joint statement from Henrietta Fore, who heads the UN children's agency UNICEF, UN aid chief Mark Lowcock and the director of the UN Population Fund, Natalia Kanem. The three agencies condemned "these abhorrent attacks" and called on South Sudan authorities to ensure the perpetrators face justice. Doctors Without Borders (MSF) last week said 125 women and girls had been raped...Keep on reading: More than 150 women, girls raped in South Sudan — UN.....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 4th, 2018

Journalist critical of Philippines Duterte surrenders to face charges

MANILA: The journalist who leads a news site that has battled Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte turned herself in on Monday to face what she termed........»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsDec 3rd, 2018

Vince Carter enjoying his decision to go to Atlanta

By Tim Reynolds, Associated Press Vince Carter could have gone anywhere. To a contender, to chase a ring. To retirement, because he has nothing left to prove. To television, which seems like it will be his next vocation whenever his playing days end. Instead, he chose Atlanta — a young team, a rebuilding team, a team that probably has minimal chance of making the playoffs. And he’s happy. “I’m with a great bunch of guys,” Carter said. “I enjoy helping young guys who want to learn, who are willing to be coached and let you coach them and ask questions. It’s a small thing, but it’s a major thing — because if you’re asking questions, that means you’re trying to learn and grow. And these guys are all great.” He’s the NBA’s oldest active player, someone who turns 42 next month. When he was drafted in June 1998, neither Trae Young nor Kevin Huerter had been born yet. And they’re the starting backcourt for the Hawks this season, Carter’s 21st in the league, with Atlanta being the eighth team he’s played with. Carter talked with Dwyane Wade during the offseason about their options; Wade was considering retirement, and Carter was deciding where to play next. Wade said Carter doesn’t need a ring to complete any sort of legacy, and applauded the decision to go to Atlanta. “It’s very cool,” Wade said. “I think everybody on the outside has what they think someone should do. I was like, ‘Man, it’d be cool if he went back to Toronto.’ I had my story for him. But he decided to continue to do things the way that he’s done it, and I think it’s him understanding the importance of what he has to offer to the game and young players, and an organization that wanted him to come in and give that.” There are no regrets. Barring a change of address or another season — which is possible — Carter’s career will end with him getting to the conference finals only once, and never appearing in the NBA Finals. The closest he got was with Orlando in 2010, when the Magic lost the Eastern Conference finals to Boston in six games. “It’s easy to go sit on the bench and watch your team win and not really contribute,” Carter said. “Yeah, with my voice, I could contribute. But I want to do both.” So Carter is hanging with the kids. “It’s good for me,” Carter said. “Keeps me young.” RAPTORS RISING Toronto is off to the best start in the NBA at 20-4, four games clear of Milwaukee in the Eastern Conference already (and four games in the loss column ahead of Philadelphia as well). The scary thing is, it could have been better. It’s been forgotten, but the Raptors’ season also includes a three-game losing streak — all in a five-day span last month. They lost by 16 against New Orleans to fall to 12-2, then wasted a 19-point lead and lost to Detroit, then watched Kawhi Leonard miss late in regulation in what became an overtime loss to Boston. They’re 8-0 since, and first-year coach Nick Nurse has his team rolling. “Nick has done a really good job with this team and the way they play,” New Orleans coach Alvin Gentry said. THE WEEK AHEAD A game per day to check out this week: Oklahoma City at Detroit, Monday (Tuesday, PHL time): Former teammates Russell Westbrook and Reggie Jackson seem to like going head-to-head. San Antonio at Utah, Tuesday (Wednesday, PHL time): The Spurs struggled with the Jazz last season, and this opens a tough road back-to-back. Philadelphia at Toronto, Wednesday (Thursday, PHL time): The Raptors have opened up a sizable lead in the East, and face a good test here. New York at Boston, Thursday (Friday, PHL time): After a sluggish start, the Celtics are starting to look like the team many envisioned. Golden State at Milwaukee, Friday (Saturday, PHL time): Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant and Giannis Antetokounmpo on the same floor is must-watch. Miami at L.A. Clippers, Saturday (Sunday, PHL time): Wade is eager for this — his wife and their newborn daughter are currently staying in Los Angeles. Milwaukee at Toronto, Sunday (next Monday, PHL time): A matchup of two of the East’s best teams, and it’s never too early to think about positioning. HISTORIC WARRIORS Not even two months into the season, and the Golden State Warriors have already done something that no team in more than 50 years has accomplished. The Warriors are the second team in NBA history, joining the 1961-62 Los Angeles Lakers, to have three different players with a 50-point game in the same regular season. Kevin Durant, Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson have reached 50 already this season. The 1961-62 Lakers’ trio to do so: Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Rudy LaRusso. Could Golden State get a fourth into the 50-point column? Who knows, but remember, DeMarcus Cousins — who hasn’t played yet this season — has a pair of 50-point games in on his career resume......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsDec 3rd, 2018

3 PNPA cadets face dismissal

3 PNPA cadets face dismissal.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 3rd, 2018

Bong Nebrija takes over as MMDA head of traffic

MANILA, Philippines – Bong Nebrija is the face on social media of Metropolitan Manila Development Authority's (MMDA) strict enforcement of the rules. As chief of the MMDA Task Force for Special Operations, he has been a staple on videos on traffic altercations with the agency. MMDA Task Force Special Operations' ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 3rd, 2018

3 police academy cadets face dismissal over oral sex complaint | ABS-CBN News

Three Philippine National Police Academy cadets were recommended dismissed for grave misconduct over a complaint from 2 freshmen who claimed they were forced into oral sex, the head of the school said.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsDec 3rd, 2018

Maria Ressa back in PH: Don’t let the gov’t cross the line

MANILA, Philippines – Amid concern from fellow journalists that she would be arrested upon her arrival at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Sunday night, December 2, Rappler chief executive officer and executive editor Maria Ressa  said she came back to "do what I need to do to face all ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsDec 2nd, 2018