Advertisements


DOH aiming to eliminate COVID-19 testing backlog by Thursday night

A testing backlog that was at 12,000 two weeks ago has been reduced to 3,683 as of Wednesday, according to Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire......»»

Source: Philstar PhilstarCategory: News3 min. ago Related News

MLB: Players want more games, no more salary cuts

By RONALD BLUM AP Baseball Writer NEW YORK (AP) — Baseball players appeared likely to propose increasing the number of regular-season games this year while holding to their demand for full prorated salaries, people familiar with their deliberations told The Associated Press. A day after Major League Baseball proposed a sliding scale of salary slashing for a pandemic-delayed season in ballparks without fans, the union held a conference call that included its executive board, player representatives and alternate player representatives, the people said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because no details were announced. One of the people said many players were angered by the proposal teams made Tuesday. It was unclear when the union will respond to MLB's plan, the people said. Stars Mike Trout and Gerrit Cole would lose the most under MLB's plan, about 77% of the $36 million each they were set to be paid this season. In all, there are 133 players whose contracts call for salaries of $10 million or more, not including shares of signing bonuses. A big leaguer earning $1 million or less would keep at least 43% of his salary under the six-tier scale. That includes a share of $200 million earmarked for players that is contingent on the postseason being completed. About 460 of approximately 900 players on rosters and injured lists when spring training was stopped in mid-March due to the new coronavirus make $1 million or less. Trout and Cole would be cut to about $8 million each. Colorado’s Nolan Arenado would drop from $35 million to $7.84 million. “Interesting strategy of making the best most marketable players potentially look like the bad guys,” Milwaukee pitcher Brett Anderson tweeted. The players’ association called the proposal “extremely disappointing.” The union has argued players already accepted a cut to prorated shares of their salaries in a March 26 agreement and should not have to bargain again. MLB would like to start the season around the Fourth of July in empty ballparks and proposed an 82-game regular-season schedule. It claims teams would lose billions of dollars by playing with no ticket money and gate-related revenue. “This season is not looking promising,” New York Mets pitcher Marcus Stroman tweeted. “Keeping the mind and body ready regardless.” Union head Tony Clark has not commented publicly on MLB’s proposal and has said very little publicly since late March. Agent Scott Boras has repeatedly criticized MLB for proposing more salary reductions and has questioned the accuracy of management’s financial claims. “Hearing a LOT of rumors about a certain player agent meddling in MLBPA affairs,” Cincinnati pitcher Trevor Bauer tweeted Wednesday. “If true — and at this point, these are only rumors — I have one thing to say... Scott Boras, rep your clients however you want to, but keep your damn personal agenda out of union business.” Boras did not respond to a request for comment on Bauer’s remarks. “Working together to manage the public health issue has brought great solidarity among the players,” Boras said earlier in the day. “They are a strong united front and resolute in their support of the MLBPA.” A season with more games would lead to players earning a higher percentage of their original salaries. MLB says that without fans each additional game would result in a $640,000 loss. Brewers chairman Mark Attanasio told the Greater Milwaukee Committee on Tuesday “the be-careful-what-you-wish-for part is hours every day.” “It’s got to come together very quickly or we won’t be able to, we will just run out of time," he said. “To pay players at a full contract rate, pretty much 90% of that would go to pay them and wouldn’t cover any other costs.” Details of the plan have been disclosed to the AP by several people familiar with the proposal. They spoke on condition of anonymity because details had not been announced. MLB’s proposal says that within 48 hours of the ratification of an agreement for player compensation terms and health and safety protocols, the commissioner’s office would announce a proposed timeline for the resumption of the season. The resumption would include a training period of at least 21 days, and each team would be allowed a maximum of three exhibition games, all in the final seven days of the training period. Opening day would be in early July, and the final scheduled regular-season game would be no later than Sept. 27 — the same as in the original 2020 schedule. Issues such as roster size, trade deadlines, series length and treatment of the luxury tax would be delegated to a subcommittee. ___ AP Sports Writer Steve Megargee in Milwaukee contributed to this report......»»

Source: Abscbn AbscbnCategory: Sports2 hr. 2 min. ago Related News

US death toll from coronavirus surges past 100,000 people

HARTFORD, Connecticut: The US surpassed a jarring milestone Wednesday in the coronavirus pandemic: 100,000 deaths. That number is the best estimate and most assuredly an undercount. But it represents the stark reality that more Americans have died from the virus than from the Vietnam and Korean wars combined. “It’s a striking reminder of how dangerous […].....»»

Source: Manilatimes_net Manilatimes_netCategory: News2 hr. 49 min. ago Related News

Stranded PH Navy ships in India resume voyage back to PH

THE two stranded Philippine Navy ships in India resumed their voyage back to the country after a fire and storm  forced them to postpone their trip. The BRP Davao del Sur (LD-602) and the BRP Ramon Alcaraz (PS16) started their return journey on Wednesday but will have to make a brief stop at a port […].....»»

Source: Manilatimes_net Manilatimes_netCategory: News2 hr. 49 min. ago Related News

‘Crash Landing on You’ star Hyun Bin named newest endorser of PH telco

GIANT telecommunications player Smart Communications thrilled K-Drama fans on Wednesday night when it released a 10-second video teaser on Twitter featuring South Korean heartthrob and hit K-Drama series “Crash Landing on You” (CLOY) star Hyun Bin behind the wheel of a sportscar. The date “06.01.2020” then flashed onscreen, along with the caption, “The Captain is coming. […].....»»

Source: Manilatimes_net Manilatimes_netCategory: News2 hr. 49 min. ago Related News

Human Rights Watch Details Harm to Filipino Children from Drug War

Human Rights Watch on Wednesday released harrowing accounts of the drug war's impact on Filipino children.The 48-page report outlines police killings of children, the bullying and stigma tha.....»»

Source: Manilanews ManilanewsCategory: News3 hr. 15 min. ago Related News

PNP launches Helpline 16677

CALOOCAN CITY, May 28 (PIA) -- The Philippine National Police (PNP) in partnership with Philippine Long-Distance Telephone (PLDT) Company on Wednesday launched its PNP Helpline 16677 a communicatio.....»»

Source: Manilanews ManilanewsCategory: News3 hr. 15 min. ago Related News

Cebu City Lists Record-High 164 Covid-19 Recoveries in One Day

The city government here on Wednesday recorded 164 more patients who have recovered from the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), bringing the total number of recoveries to 394. Mayor Edgardo Labella said the recoveries listed by the Cebu City Health Department (CCHD) is the highest in a single day since the Covid-19 crisis started in March. […].....»»

Source: Metrocebu MetrocebuCategory: News4 hr. 2 min. ago Related News

35-Hour Work Scheme Proposal Hurdles House Panel

A bill seeking to institute a 35-hour working scheme as an alternative work arrangement for employees in the private sector hurdled committee level at the House of Representatives on Wednesday. The House Committee on Labor and Employment, chaired by 1-Pacman Rep. Enrico Pineda, unanimously approved House Bill (HB) 309, which aims to promote higher levels […].....»»

Source: Metrocebu MetrocebuCategory: News4 hr. 2 min. ago Related News

Passage of coco levy fund bill pushed anew

  The Senate has started plenary discussions on the refiled bill seeking to create the Coconut Farmers and Industry Trust Fund. Sen. Cynthia Villar sponsored Senate Bill No. 1396 last Wednesday, in another attempt to pass a measure that will distribute the P105-billion coco levy imposed on farmers under the Marcos administration. The Congress had […].....»»

Source: Tempo TempoCategory: News6 hr. 15 min. ago Related News

Lacson accuser nabbed for estafa in Pasig

  By AARON RECUENCO Ador Mawanay, who had accused Sen. Panfilo Lacson of involvement in various illegal activities, particularly  illegal drugs, was arrested in Pasig City last Wednesday for estafa. Mawanay, whose real name is Antonio Luis Marquez, was arrested by operatives of the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group. He was arrested in an […].....»»

Source: Tempo TempoCategory: News6 hr. 15 min. ago Related News

Arizona takes Google to court over location tracking

The US state of Arizona filed a lawsuit Wednesday accusing Google of committing fraud by being deceptive about gathering location data. Arizona attorney general Mark Brnovich said the suit resulted from an investigation launched two years ago after a media report that Google had ways of knowing where users were even if they opted not […] The post Arizona takes Google to court over location tracking appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Source: Tribune TribuneCategory: News6 hr. 36 min. ago Related News

China refuses Security Council meeting on Hong Kong

Washington on Wednesday requested an emergency UN meeting over a controversial security law China has proposed for Hong Kong, but Beijing refused to allow it to proceed, according to US diplomats. The US spelled out its desire for the Security Council session, saying it was “deeply concerned” by Beijing’s move, which would ban “sedition” and […] The post China refuses Security Council meeting on Hong Kong appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Source: Tribune TribuneCategory: News6 hr. 36 min. ago Related News

NASA chief “all in” for Tom Cruise to film on space station

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — NASA is rolling out the International Space Station’s red carpet for Tom Cruise to make a movie in orbit. The space agency’s administrator, Jim Bridenstine, said before Wednesday’s planned launch of two NASA astronauts aboard a SpaceX rocket that Elon Musk’s company is already getting customers eager to blast off. […] The post NASA chief “all in” for Tom Cruise to film on space station appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Source: Inquirer InquirerCategory: News6 hr. 49 min. ago Related News

NCR braces for GCQ without buses, jeepneys

Buses and jeepneys for public transport will still be barred in Metro Manila even when it shifts to a more relaxed general community quarantine (GCQ), the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said Wednesday......»»

Source: Thestandard ThestandardCategory: News7 hr. 36 min. ago Related News

School enrollment begins June 1; blended learning platforms set

Enrollment in public schools nationwide will go as planned starting June 1, 2020, Malacanang said Wednesday......»»

Source: Thestandard ThestandardCategory: News7 hr. 36 min. ago Related News

Ordeal continues for OFWs

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Wednesday ordered the National Prosecution Service to give priority to cases involving local government officials who continue to refuse entry to repatriated overseas Filipino workers who have been cleared of COVID-19......»»

Source: Thestandard ThestandardCategory: News7 hr. 36 min. ago Related News

Pandemic puts up to 86million children at risk of poverty: study

The economic consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic could push as many as 86 million more children into poverty by the end of 2020, a joint study by Save the Children and UNICEF showed Wednesday......»»

Source: Thestandard ThestandardCategory: News7 hr. 36 min. ago Related News

US coronavirus death toll tops 100,000: Johns Hopkins

The United States has now recorded more than 100,000 coronavirus-related deaths, Johns Hopkins University reported Wednesday -- a somber milestone and by far the highest total in the world......»»

Source: Thestandard ThestandardCategory: News7 hr. 36 min. ago Related News

Brazil tops 25,000 virus deaths

Brazil's death toll from the new coronavirus surpassed 25,000 on Wednesday, as the country emerged as the latest epicenter in the global pandemic......»»

Source: Thestandard ThestandardCategory: News7 hr. 36 min. ago Related News