Advertisements


WHO told: Rush gauge of test kits

The government will ask the World Health Organization to expedite the evaluation of locally-developed test kits used to confirm the presence of COVID-19 in patients, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said Friday......»»

Category: newsSource: thestandard thestandardFeb 14th, 2020

Davao derby-goers from Agusan Sur told to submit to COVID-19 test

PROSPERIDAD, Agusan del Sur (MindaNews / 23 April) — Gov. Santiago Cane Jr. has called on individuals who went to the six-cock derby at New Davao Matina Gallera last month to voluntarily submit themselves to testing for COVID-19. Cane made the appeal after the Provincial COVID-19 Task Force received on Wednesday some 225 testing kits donated by […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsApr 25th, 2020

Coordinate with Health department on COVID-19 test kits, LGUs told

"All LGUs must first coordinate with DOH prior to acquiring, purchasing or utilizing testing kits within their respective territorial jurisdictions," Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 22nd, 2020

Warriors refuse coronavirus testing amid shortage of test kits

"We've been told that the testing is in short supply, and we're treating ourselves like people... We're not better than anyone else," Myers said......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 20th, 2020

Suns look to prove mettle after buzz cools down

By Michael C. Wright, NBA.com Phoenix Suns coach Monty Williams challenged his squad Thursday night (Friday, PHL time) in the wake of a third consecutive loss, falling 124-121 to the New Orleans Pelicans. “I told our guys, ‘Look, we had a nice run. We got hit in the mouth with injuries. Let’s see what we’re made of,’” he said. Phoenix caught the basketball world by surprise early this season with a 5-2 start, which included wins over the LA Clippers and Philadelphia 76ers, but the Suns have since fallen on hard times. Having lost three consecutive games, in part due to injuries to point guard Ricky Rubio (back) and center Aron Baynes (hip) altering the club’s style of play, the early-season buzz generated by the team is gone. But the truth is we haven’t seen the Suns at full strength since their season-opening 124-95 win over the Sacramento Kings, a game in which Deandre Ayton registered a double-double (18 points and 11 rebounds) along with four blocks in his only game this season. Ayton received a 25-game suspension by the league after that game for violating the NBA/NBPA anti-drug policy for testing positive for a diuretic. Ayton won’t be eligible to return to action until Dec. 17 (Dec. 18, PHL time), when Phoenix meets the LA Clippers at the Staples Center. So, it’s tough to gauge at this point whether the Suns are indeed the real deal. But Williams isn’t concerned. He prefers that the Suns fly under the radar. “The buzz will die down a bit, and now we can just focus on getting better,” Williams told his team after Thursday’s (Friday, PHL time) loss. “This is the NBA. Our guys are more than able to do what they need to do to get better.” The Suns aren’t sure when Rubio and Baynes will be set to return to action. Rubio has missed two of the team’s last three games, and when he tried to play Tuesday (Wednesday, PHL time) at Sacramento, the point guard could only will himself through 16 minutes in the first half, shooting 0-for-7 from the field. Baynes has missed two games in a row with Phoenix mired in its first three-game skid of the season. Two of Phoenix’s last three losses came by single-digit margins. “This is kind of our first time hitting adversity, losing three in a row, and now we’re on the road for two tough games back to back, so we’re going to see how we’re going to go out there and play,” said Mikal Bridges, who contributed 12 points to go with six rebounds and three steals in the loss to New Orleans. “I think we’re mentally strong, and we’re together as a team. So, I think we’re going to push through and play hard the next few games, and try to leave out of there with a W. But it’s going to test our mentality to see what we’re going to be right now.” The Suns have struggled defensively over the past two games, most notably at defending the 3-point line. Sacramento knocked down 41.9% from deep on Tuesday (Wednesday, PHL time) against the Suns, while the Pelicans on Thursday (Friday, PHL time) hit on 45.7% from range. Baynes had been filling in during Ayton’s suspension, but Frank Kaminsky has replaced Baynes the last two games as he’s dealt with a strained right hip flexor. Going into the loss to New Orleans, Kaminsky (hip) was listed on the injury report along with Dario Saric (knee) and Cam Johnson (knee). Williams said “you hope” Rubio and Baynes return for the start of Phoenix’s upcoming back-to-back set on the road that starts Saturday (Sunday, PHL time) in Minnesota and concludes Sunday (Monday, PHL time) at Denver. But the team has “got to start planning as if they’re not,” Williams said. Those contests wrap up a stretch of five games in seven nights. “It’s next man up mentality,” said guard Devin Booker, who has connected on 50% or better from the field in 11 of the team’s 14 games. “We’re dealing with a couple injuries right now, and for guys to come in who have just been on the practice court the whole season and get an opportunity to perform it’s a very big time. It’s professionalism at its finest. It says a lot about a person’s character.” As for Ayton, who anxiously awaits his return for suspension, the center can only watch and wait. Provisions of the suspension allow Ayton to practice and travel with the team, but he can’t be in an arena -- home or away -- two hours before game. During the down time, Ayton has been working to refine his shot; most notably his 3-point shot with Suns assistant Mark Bryant. After this latest road trek, the Suns come back home to host Washington and Dallas before hitting the road for four consecutive outings over five nights to start the month of December. So surely, there’s more adversity to come for the young, upstart Suns. “We don’t quit. We compete,” Williams said. “That’s one of our values, our core values. We compete every possession. Sometimes, you can’t always dictate whether the ball goes in, but you can compete every night. I always tell the guys if you do the right thing it will come back to you. It may not come back to you in this game, but over the long haul, you’ll be better for it.” Michael C. Wright is a senior writer for NBA.com. You can e-mail him here, find his archive here, and follow him on Twitter. The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NBA, its clubs or Turner Broadcasting......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsNov 24th, 2019

Isko orders probe on test kits dumping

Manila Mayor Isko Moreno yesterday ordered an investigation on the dumping of around 200 used rapid test kits in Sampaloc on Tuesday night......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 2nd, 2020

DOH: Facilities breaking infectious waste disposal protocols may be suspended, shut down

CCTV footage provided by the city government of Manila showed the test kits fell from a punctured garbage bag attached to a pedicab,.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 2nd, 2020

Tagalog News: BARMM nakatanggap ng 11,000 test kits, mga PPE

COTABATO CITY, Ago. 27 (PIA) - Makatatanggap ng halos 11,000 na coronavirus test kits ang pamunuan ng Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) mula sa pamahalaang nasyunal.Sa.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsAug 27th, 2020

BARMM gets 11,000 COVID test kits, more PPEs

COTABATO CITY, Aug. 27 (PIA) - The Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao has received close to 11,000 coronavirus testing kits from the national government Wednesday.Secretary Carl.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsAug 27th, 2020

Cebu City to pilot pool testing among vendors

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City will be the pioneer city to implement the pooled swab testing initiative of Project Antibody Rapid Test Kit (ARK) that is the new way of swab testing to save tests kits and test more individuals for the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). This was pushed by Iloilo Representative Jent Garin, […] The post Cebu City to pilot pool testing among vendors appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 20th, 2020

Consumer alliance nanawagan sa DOH: repasuhin China rapid test kits

    Nanawagan ang isang alyansa ng mga konsyumer sa Department of Health na repasuhin ang China-made rapid test kits dahil sa diumano’y pagiging inaccurate ng resulta nito. Nagpahayag ng pagkabahala ang Alliance for Consumers and Protection of Environment, Inc. (ACAPE) dahil ang nasabing inaccuracy ay maaring magresulta lamang ng paglobo ng bilang ng mga […] The post Consumer alliance nanawagan sa DOH: repasuhin China rapid test kits appeared first on Bandera......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 18th, 2020

Machines, test kits for pooled testing arrive in Philippines

The private sector testing initiative led by Presidential Adviser for Entrepreneurship Joey Concepcion is ready for the pilot implementation of the pooled polymerase chain reaction tests in Metro Manila......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 16th, 2020

Dengvaxia scandal haunts Philippines COVID-19 vaccine rush

Manila will be part of a global trial to test the efficacy of Russia's coronavirus vaccine. So much is at stake......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 14th, 2020

DOH: No need to ban rapid test kits

The Department of Health is not about to ban the use of rapid antibody tests for COVID-19, saying it can still be used in some ways for coronavirus response......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 11th, 2020

NGCP donates COVID-19 test kits to hospitals

The National Grid Corp. of the Philippines has donated real time-polymerase chain reaction machines to government hospitals in the National Capital Region to help raise testing in the region......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 8th, 2020

Tax breaks for Filipino makers of PPEs sought

Sen. Francis Pangilinan yesterday filed a bill seeking to grant tax exemptions as incentives to local companies manufacturing surgical masks, personal protective equipment, test kits, ventilators and other medical products during and after the COVID-19 pandemic......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 7th, 2020

Pangilinan bats for giving tax cuts to Filipino makers of PPEs, test kits, other medical supplies

"The [COVID-19 crisis] revealed that these critical medical supplies are not being made in the Philippines. At the onset of the pandemic, the supply of these critical products and [their] raw materials became scarce, inaccessible, and expensive," Pangilinan said in a mix of Filipino and English......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 7th, 2020

P700 M for NAIA bag conveyor; budget for virus test kits: zero

A baggage conveyor belt at Ninoy Aquino International Airport is to be replaced for P700 million......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 6th, 2020

DOH aims to stop use of rapid test kits

DOH aims to stop use of rapid test kits.....»»

Category: newsSource:  cnnphilippinesRelated NewsAug 5th, 2020

PhilHealth mess: Crime of the year

Resigned Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) Anti-Fraud Officer Atty. Thorrsson Montes Keith on Tuesday claimed that state insurer President and CEO Gen. Ricardo Morales directed him “to remedy” the issue of overpriced coronavirus (COVID-19) test kits with the Philippine Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC). “There was an instance when I was ordered by Brig. Gen. Morales to […] The post PhilHealth mess: Crime of the year appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsAug 4th, 2020

There may never be a COVID-19 ‘silver bullet’: WHO

The World Health Organization warned Monday that there might never be a “silver bullet” for the new coronavirus, despite the rush to discover effective vaccines. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus/AFP FILE/ MANILA BULLETIN The WHO urged governments and citizens to focus on doing the known basics, such as testing, contact tracing, maintaining physical distance and wearing a mask in order to suppress the pandemic, which has upended normal life around the globe and triggered a devastating economic crisis. “We all hope to have a number of effective vaccines that can help prevent people from infection,” WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual press conference. “However, there’s no silver bullet at the moment — and there might never be. “For now, stopping outbreaks comes down to the basics of public health and disease control. “Do it all,” he urged. The novel coronavirus has killed nearly 690,000 people and infected at least 18.1 million since the outbreak emerged in Wuhan in China last December, according to a tally from official sources compiled by AFP. China mission The WHO began pressing China in early May to invite in its experts to help investigate the animal origins of COVID-19. The UN health agency sent an epidemiologist and an animal health specialist to Beijing on July 10 to lay the groundwork for a probe aimed at identifying how the virus entered the human species. Their scoping mission is now complete, said Tedros. “The WHO advance team that travelled to China has now concluded their mission to lay the groundwork for further joint efforts to identify the virus origins,” he said. “WHO and Chinese experts have drafted the terms of reference for the studies and programme of work for an international team, led by WHO. “The international team will include leading scientists and researchers from China and around the world. “Epidemiological studies will begin in Wuhan to identify the potential source of infection of the early cases. “Evidence and hypotheses generated through this work will lay the ground for further, longer-term studies.” The pair have not yet returned to the WHO’s Geneva headquarters for a debriefing. Scientists believe the killer virus jumped from animals to humans, possibly from a market in the city of Wuhan selling exotic animals for meat. Chinese officials said early in the outbreak that the virus may have spread from a market in the city, which sold live and wild animals, but no further confirmation of that has been revealed......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 3rd, 2020