Advertisements


Walmart manager opens fire on Virginia co-workers, killing 6 and himself

CHESAPEAKE, Va., – A manager at a Walmart Inc. store in Virginia opened fire on fellow employees in a break room, killing six before turning the gun on himself, eyewitnesses said on Wednesday after the country’s latest mass shooting. The gunman, identified as Andre Bing, 31, of Chesapeake, Virginia, said nothing as he began firing […] The post Walmart manager opens fire on Virginia co-workers, killing 6 and himself appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerNov 24th, 2022

Man Opens Fire on Philippine Campus, Killing 3 People

Manila - A gunman opened fire on university campus in the Philippine capital region on Sunday, killing a former town mayor and two others in a brazen attack ahead of a graduation ceremony, police said.The suspect was armed with two pistols and was captured in a car he commandeered trying to escape the Ateneo de Manila University in suburban Quezon City, police said. He was blocked by witnesses and authorities ou.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJul 25th, 2022

Rama rehires 300 workers whose contracts were previously not renewed

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama on Monday, Nov. 7 has announced that he has decided to rehire at least 300 workers whose contracts were previously not renewed.  During their flag-raising ceremony on Monday, Rama said City Hall executives agreed not to fire these people.  “Mura ni siya og gitagaan mo og […] The post Rama rehires 300 workers whose contracts were previously not renewed appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 7th, 2022

Raps filed vs suspended BuCor chief Gerald Bantag over killing of Percy Lapid

"Bantag had a clear motive to effect the murders. For Percy Lapid, it was continued expose by the latter of the issues against the latter on his show Lapid Fire," NBI special action unit investigator Eugene Javier said at a press conference Monday morning. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 7th, 2022

South Korea’s Halloween crowd surge: What we know

SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea is investigating the exact cause of a deadly crowd surge that killed 154 people at a Halloween event, as public outrage grows over perceived policing and crowd control failures. A man offers a flower at a joint memorial altar for victims of the deadly Halloween crowd surge, in Naksopyeong, near the district of Itaewon in Seoul on October 31, 2022. ANTHONY WALLACE / AFP What went wrong and why did so many people die at the first post-pandemic Halloween party in Seoul’s popular Itaewon nightlife district? Here is what we know: What’s going on? The government promised a “thorough and transparent investigation” into the exact causes of the deadly crush in Itaewon, and police said Monday they had launched a task force and started the probe. They’ve deployed forensic experts, seized footage from 50 security cameras in the area, and interviewed scores of witnesses, victims, and workers at nearby stores, according to a senior police officer. How did it happen? Typically, a gathering of over 1,000 people has to submit “safety management plans” to the government in advance for review by police and fire departments. But in the case of the Itaewon Halloween festivities, there is no designated event organiser — individual bars, clubs and restaurants simply hold their own events and people flock to the area. Just weeks before, a “Global Village Festival” was safely staged in the exact same streets — but it was an organised event sponsored by local authorities. As a result, it had “effective crowd control with many police officers and district office staff in charge”, said Kim Min-kyu, who runs a currency exchange shop near the site of the accident and saw both events. Police have admitted to lapses in their real-time management of the event. “Police officers on the scene didn’t detect a sudden surge in the crowd,” Hong Ki-hyun, chief of the National Police Agency’s Public Order Management Bureau, told local reporters. Why was it so bad? Experts say the crowd crush could have been prevented with proper preparation, But they admit things have gotten more difficult after years of pandemic-related lockdowns. “Everywhere in the world event organisers are struggling with the post-Covid crowd,” said Eric Kant, a crowd safety specialist who runs the Phase01 Crowd Management. “A lot of visitors are new with partying, they are indeed very excited, and maybe do not understand risks very much,” he added. Key risk factors for crowd surges are “unrestricted entry” of people into a small space, and “no ticket sales” which means organisers have no exact estimate of demand, experts say — all of which happened at Itaewon. “This is a recipe for disaster in mass gatherings,” crowd safety expert Milad Haghani of the University of New South Wales told AFP. Even for the Halloween event — a public gathering with no tickets — authorities could have been actively managing the situation to prevent overcrowding. “On the day, this would mean monitoring the numbers, at the very least,” said John Drury, an expert on crowd psychology at the University of Sussex. “It would also mean a public information campaign beforehand to discourage such large numbers attending.” He warned that psychology studies show people actually seek out “objectively dangerous levels of density” at events, and organisers need to be aware of this risk. Who is to blame? So far, no one has been held accountable, even as public anger flares at the government and police for their apparent lack of oversight. Top-ranking officials have brushed off questions about taking responsibility, saying the priority is currently on helping the victims and dealing with the aftermath of the accident. Much local criticism has focused on the police — but experts say they are not necessarily at fault. “We should remember that the primary role of the police is generally not crowd management,” said Martyn Amos, a professor at Northumbria University who works on crowd simulation. “It’s possible to manage an event largely using stewards, with the police there to ensure public order and to deal with criminal activity,” he told AFP. What happens next? The government is under immense pressure to resolve this quickly — and properly. The opposition Democratic Party has already slammed the government’s handling of the event, and will likely push for resignations once the national mourning period ends on November 5. The Itaewon crush could deal another blow to President Yoon Suk-yeol’s popularity ratings — already at record lows. There is also a possibility that the disaster, if mishandled, could become a major political liability for the government. In 2014 then president Park Geun-hye was in power during the sinking of the Sewol ferry in which 304 people — mostly school children — died. She was widely criticised for her handling of the incident. The issue lingered over her presidency until she was impeached three years later over a corruption scandal......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 31st, 2022

Antipolo bar manager gets life jail-term for human trafficking

MANILA-The Court of Appeals (CA) has affirmed the sentence of life imprisonment by an Antipolo court on a floor manager of a girly bar where investigators discovered minors employed as sex workers.In its decision dated June 10, the CA's 13th division affirmed the 2016 decision of the Antipol.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJun 15th, 2022

Israel opens doors to Filipino hotel workers

MANILA - Israel will officially open its hotel sector to Filipino workers, Israeli Ambassador Ilan Fluss said Thursday.In an interview with reporters, the envoy said the first batch of the 500 Filipino tourism workers will fly to Israel next week under a labor agreement between the two natio.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsMay 26th, 2022

Dumaguete to set up employment help desks in 30 villages

DUMAGUETE CITY - The city government here will be establishing Public Employment Services Office (PESO) help desks in the barangays to gather unemployment data and facilitate the needs of local jobseekers.PESO-Dumaguete manager Ma. Socorro Mira on Thursday said this is to help workers displa.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsMay 26th, 2022

DOH needs a new leader, manager

Department of Health Secretary Francisco Duque III should realize by now how urgent the issue of the Filipino healthcare workers’ plight is amid the worsening COVID-19 crisis in the country. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsAug 18th, 2021

Haiti searches for survivors after quake kills at least 304

Rescue workers scrambled to find survivors after a powerful 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck Haiti early Saturday, killing at least 304 and toppling buildings in the disaster-plagued Caribbean nation still recovering from a devastating 2010 quake......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsAug 15th, 2021

Malaysian serviceman shoots 3 colleagues, self

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AFP) — A Malaysian serviceman shot dead three fellow air force personnel at a military base Friday before killing himself, police said, a rare case of gun violence in the Southeast Asian nation. He opened fire at around 7:30 a.m. at a guard post at the air force base in Sarawak state, […] The post Malaysian serviceman shoots 3 colleagues, self appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsAug 14th, 2021

South Cotabato mayor vows to fire LGU workers who refuse COVID-19 jabs

UPDATED KORONADAL CITY (MindaNews / 5 August) – A town mayor in South Cotabato has vowed to dismiss local government employees who will refuse to get vaccinated against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) even as the Department of Health (DOH) announced on the same day that the “No vaccine, no work” policy is not allowed. Mayor […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsAug 6th, 2021

Funeral parlors in Cebu City in overtime mode as COVID-related deaths rise

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Aside from hospital workers, employees in funeral parlors in Cebu City are now in overtime mode.  This as health officials recorded more COVID-related deaths.  Two funeral homes here offering crematory services have temporarily stopped accepting requests as schedules for their respective cremation chambers were already fully booked. A manager of a […] The post Funeral parlors in Cebu City in overtime mode as COVID-related deaths rise appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 5th, 2021

Workers call to vote out 70 lawmakers behind killing of ABS-CBN franchise

A year after a House committee rejected ABS-CBN’s application for a fresh franchise and under a year before the elections, workers are calling on the public to vote out the 70 lawmakers who voted to kill the network’s application......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 10th, 2021

SC junks Kentex fire raps vs Gatchalian

The Supreme Court has affirmed the decision of the Court of Appeals dismissing the criminal and administrative charges filed against Valenzuela Mayor Rex Gatchalian in connection with the Kentex fire that claimed the lives of 74 slipper factory workers in 2015......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 24th, 2021

QC gov t opens workers vaccination after working hours

"This is for our workers who can't miss work to get vaccinated [especially] on those days when the wages are paid...They don't have to choose [between] a daily income or a vaccine," said Mayor Joy Belmonte......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 16th, 2021

Du30 confers Order of Lapu-Lapu to PGH health workers

Senator and Chair of the Senate Committee on Health Christopher “Bong” Go welcomed the conferment of the Order of Lapu-Lapu to honor medical frontliners of the Philippine General Hospital who responded bravely during a fire incident in the health facility last month. After the incident, Go immediately recommended to President Rodrigo Duterte to officially recognize […] The post Du30 confers Order of Lapu-Lapu to PGH health workers appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 4th, 2021

Quezon City opens new bike lanes

The Quezon City government inaugurated yesterday new and improved bike lanes along major thoroughfares as part of efforts to promote active, sustainable and environment-friendly modes of transportation for residents and workers......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 22nd, 2021

BFP nurses deployed to 12 Metro Manila hospitals

The Bureau of Fire Protection deployed yesterday 63 nurses to augment personnel of 12 hospitals managing COVID-19 cases in the National Capital Region, which are in need of additional healthcare workers......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 19th, 2021

Gunman kills six at US birthday party before shooting himself

A gunman opened fire at a birthday party in Colorado, killing six people in the early hours of Sunday before taking his own life, US police said......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsMay 10th, 2021

Retired CPA manager gunned down; personal grudge eyed

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Argao police are looking into personal grudge as a possible motive in the killing of a retired manager of the Cebu Ports Authority (CPA) in his home in this southern town on Sunday night, April 25. Claro Cagigas Jr., 65, was shot in the head by a still unidentified gunman while […] The post Retired CPA manager gunned down; personal grudge eyed appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 26th, 2021