Advertisements


Typhoon Tisoy forces over 225,000 people to evacuate

Around 225,768 individuals from Bicol, Eastern Visayas, Calabarzon and Mimaropa were pre-emptively evacuated......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarDec 3rd, 2019

Ursula-hit Mindoro appeals for help

The provincial government of Occidental Mindoro is appealing for help as it struggles to help people devastated  by Typhoon Ursula. Gov. Eduardo Gadiano said that the province’s calamity fund is almost depleted because it was also used to assist victims of typhoon Tisoy which hit the province before Christmas. The province was placed under a state […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsDec 27th, 2019

Typhoon Phanfone kills at least 16 in Philippines

Thousands of people had been forced to evacuate their homes......»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsDec 26th, 2019

Typhoon Phanfone ruining Christmas for thousands of Filipinos

MANILA - Typhoon Phanfone smashed into the central Philippines on Tuesday, leaving thousands of people unable to get home for the Christmas holidays and forcing many others to evacuate in the face.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsDec 25th, 2019

EDITORIAL - Second most vulnerable

Typhoon Tisoy left 17 people dead and destroyed over P800 million worth of crops as it roared across Luzon this week......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 8th, 2019

Thousands flee & lsquo;Tisoy& rsquo; fury; some events on hold

Tens of thousands of people were sheltering in evacuation centers as Typhoon “Tisoy” (international name: Kammuri) barreled towards the Philippines, threatening plans for the Southeast Asian Games events near Metro Manila......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 3rd, 2019

Typhoon Tisoy pounds Philippines, forces NAIA closure

Typhoon Tisoy (international name Kammuri) on Tuesday lashed the Philippines with fierce winds and heavy rain, as hundreds of thousands took refuge in shelters and the capital Manila prepared to shut down its international airport over safety concerns......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 3rd, 2019

& lsquo;Tisoy& rsquo; cancels several events

The Philippines has begun evacuating thousands of people, local officials said Sunday, as a powerful typhoon rumbling in from the Pacific forced Southeast Asian Games organizers to cancel or reschedule some events......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 2nd, 2019

Typhoon ‘Lekima’ death toll in east China rises to 30

SHANGHAI, China (AFP) – The death toll from typhoon “Lekima” (typhoon “Hanna” in  the Philippines)  rose to 30 in eastern China, local authorities said yesterday, as rescue teams worked to find more than a dozen missing after the storm triggered a landslide and forced more than a million people to evacuate. The monster storm arrived […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsAug 11th, 2019

Typhoon Lekima death toll in east China rises to 28

BEIJING, China – The death toll from Typhoon Lekima rose to 28 in eastern China, said local authorities on Sunday, August 11, as rescue teams worked to locate the missing after the storm triggered a landslide and forced more than a million people to evacuate. The monster storm arrived in Wenling ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsAug 11th, 2019

Northern California wildfire forces 4,000 to evacuate

A wildfire destroyed at least 10 homes and forced some 4,000 of people to flee their homes as flames jumped a road and moved into a Northern California town located miles away from a devastating wildfire nearly a year ago......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 15th, 2016

75,000 ordered to evacuate as heavy rain lashes western Japan

Some 75,000 people were ordered to evacuate in western Japan Saturday as record heavy rain triggered floods and landslides, leaving scores stranded and 13 missing, according to local media and officials......»»

Category: lifestyleSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 4th, 2020

WHAT IF... Ben Mbala played his last year in La Salle

History lesson: Ben Mbala was one of the most dominant - if not the most dominant - forces the UAAP has ever seen. Winning a championship as well as back-to-back MVPs, Mbala was, hands down, the best player in all of college in his two years suiting up for De La Salle University. Technically, he had one more playing year, but decided against it to take back control of his career. This decision, coming right after the Green Archers got dethroned by archrival Ateneo de Manila University in a thrilling three-game Finals. That would just be the first of three championships in a row for the Blue Eagles who swept the University of the Philippines and the University of Sto. Tomas the following years. Meanwhile, without the Cameroonian powerhouse, the Taft-based team fell short of the playoffs the following years. Now, the green and white is trying to barge back into the playoff picture with a fourth coach in four years. It is far from a certainty that Louie Gonzalez, who replaced Aldin Ayo, would be able to hold off Gian Nazario - and active consultant Jermaine Byrd - and then Derrick Pumaren if he had led La Salle to the Final Four in UAAP 81. What is a certainty, however, is that with Mbala back in the fold, they are locks for the Final Four. And so, what if "Big Ben" played his last year in La Salle? Ateneo would remain the top-seed while Adamson University would fall to three and the University of the Philippines would fall to four. Mbala and company would then stake claim to the second-seed and the twice-to-beat advantage it entails before taking care of business yet again against the Soaring Falcons. In the other bracket, the Blue Eagles end the Cinderella story of the Fighting Maroons who would play in their first Final Four in 21 years, but would still be looking for their first Finals since 1986. With that, the rivalry trilogy would be set in motion - Ateneo-La Salle for all the glory for the third year in a row. And for the 6-foot-8 center, the rubber match would have been theirs. Asked in the inaugural episode of The Prospects Pod if they would have reclaimed the title if he had played his last year, he answered, "Yeah. I think so." Our own thought experiment, however, thinks otherwise and has the Blue Eagles getting the better of the Green Archers once more. The arrival of Rookie of the Year Ange Kouame is a brand new tall task to face for Season MVP Mbala. Of course, the now-three-time MVP still finds a way against the inexperienced Ivorian, but Ateneo's total team effort would still prove to be too much for La Salle. According to Mbala, if he had stayed, Ricci Rivero would have stayed as well and not taken his talents to UP. That means that Brent Paraiso would remain as well. A core of Mbala, Rivero, Paraiso, Andrei Caracut, Aljun Melecio, and Santi Santillan would be really nasty, but that also means Justine Baltazar would not get the room he needs to grow. They would fight with their all, for sure, but would also ultimately succumb to the Blue Eagles' otherworldly - and quite frankly, unfair - depth and balance. In the end, Ateneo still goes on to a three-peat, and counting, while La Salle just falls short for the second straight year. Mbala moves on to showcasing his skills overseas - and moves on to ribbing Kiefer Ravena that it's just a matter of time before the butt heads in the PBA. There would also be no more questions about how Kouame would have fared against the Green Archers' best foreign student-athlete. For his part, however, Mbala said that individual comparisons do not matter in basketball. "People tell me that I were there, it would (have been) a different story, but I don't do comparisons. It's not a one-on-one game, it's five-on-five," he said. He then continued, "It was not I will take the rebound and do everything I want. No, it's not that. It's not about the size, it's about the system." --- Follow this writer on Twitter, @riegogogo......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 10th, 2020

A new springtime, a new Pentecost

In the aftermath of typhoon Haiyan, relief workers from the Buddhist Compassion Relief Tzu Chi Foundation visited the roofless Santo Nino Church in Tacloban City to offer help in rebuilding the church. It was truly an unexpected gesture for people of another faith. Deeply moved by their generosity, then parish priest Msgr. Alex Opiniano inquired of the reason behind their donation. They have seen the faith of the people, they explained, and they realized how important the church was to them......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJun 8th, 2020

Hope and a hot meal in difficult times

On November 7, 2013 when international typhoon Haiyan hit the Central Philippine provinces of Samar and Leyte islands, unleashing havoc and killing people, international photojournalist Alex Baluyut and his wife Precious Leano were in the comfort of their home. As they saw the devastation unfold on TV broadcasts with reports of deaths and the helplessness of survivors, the couple was stirred into action......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsMay 31st, 2020

Venezuela calls out rivals, claims ‘invasion’

CARACAS, Venezuela (AFP) — Venezuela has sent a letter to the US Congress outlying its case against the US and Colombian governments regarding a recent failed seaborne invasion, the attorney general said on Thursday. Two former US special forces soldiers who now face terrorism charges were among the 91 people Venezuela says it captured in […] The post Venezuela calls out rivals, claims ‘invasion’ appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsMay 22nd, 2020

‘Super cyclone’ Amphan hits Bangladesh, India

KHULNA, Bangladesh — Millions of people battened down Wednesday as the strongest cyclone in decades slammed into Bangladesh and eastern India, killing at least three and leaving a trail of devastation. Authorities scrambled to evacuate more than three million people from low-lying areas, but the task was complicated by the need to prevent the spread of […] The post ‘Super cyclone’ Amphan hits Bangladesh, India appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsMay 20th, 2020

Navy deliver 5K DSWD food packs to Tacloban

CEBU CITY, Philippines — At least 5,000 boxes of food items from the Department of Social Welfare and Development have been delivered by the Naval Forces Central (Navforcen) personnel to Tacloban City for those affected by Typhoon Ambo, which affected the Samar region last week. According to Navforcen in a statement, that the food boxes […] The post Navy deliver 5K DSWD food packs to Tacloban appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 19th, 2020

Philippines tropical typhoon Ambo kills 5, displaces nearly 100,000

Manila [Philippines], May 17 (Sputnik/ANI): At least five persons have died and more than 90,000 people displaced as a result of Typhoon Ambo which has made its way across the Philippines archipelago.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsMay 18th, 2020

5 dead, P80 million lost in Typhoon & lsquo;Ambo& rsquo; wake

More than 70,000 people, all wearing face masks and assisted by disaster officials clad in personal protective equipment, were evacuated as powerful typhoon Ambo lashed the Central Philippines before last weekend, killing five along its path in Eastern and Northern Samar, the government said Sunday......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsMay 18th, 2020

Hasten ‘Ambo’ aid, victims cry

Typhoon “Ambo” (international name: Vongfong) has damaged at least P185 million in produce, affected almost 41,000 farmers in three regions, and left a wide swath of destruction that displaced thousands and claimed four lives in Eastern Visayas. “While we are afraid of this (new coronavirus disease) COVID-19, I am more afraid that our people will […] The post Hasten ‘Ambo’ aid, victims cry appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 18th, 2020