Talisay City Hall closed for disinfection on July 14-17

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Stringent disinfection and contact tracing will be conducted in Talisay City Hall starting next week after one of its employees succumbed to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The Talisay City Hall will be closed from the public starting Tuesday, July 14 until Friday, July 17, 2020, to give way for the disinfection […] The post Talisay City Hall closed for disinfection on July 14-17 appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerJul 11th, 2020

Cebu City Hall closed for disinfection on July 9-10

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Cebu City Hall will be closed from July 9 to 10, 2020 for disinfection after some of its employees  contracted the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). City Administrator Floro Casas, Jr., said that Mayor Edgardo Labella ordered for a two-day closure in order to give way to the disinfection. Read: 69 Cebu […] The post Cebu City Hall closed for disinfection on July 9-10 appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 8th, 2020

Marawi Hall of Justice temporarily closed for anti-Covid disinfection

ILIGAN CITY (MindaNews / 06 August) – The Hall of Justice in Marawi City has been ordered temporarily closed effective 3 p.m. on August 4 by the local Inter-Agency Task Force for disinfection after 13 employees of the Public Attorney’s Office were reported to have had come in close contact with a person who tested positive of […].....»»

Category: lifestyleSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 6th, 2020

Baguio city hall closed for disinfection

The city government of Baguio yesterday shut down the city hall for disinfection after three employees tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 5th, 2020

GSIS head office, QC branch temporarily closed for disinfection

PASIG CITY, July 27 (PIA) -- State pension fund Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) has announced that its head office in Pasay City will be temporarily closed for disinfection to prevent th.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsJul 27th, 2020

Durano orders CEO’s admin division closed for disinfection

MANDAUE CITY, Cebu – Danao City Mayor Ramon Durano III has ordered the suspension of operations at the admin division of their City Engineering Office (CEO) this week for disinfection. Office closure started on Tuesday, July 21, and will continue until Friday, July 24.  The CEO’s admin division will resume operations on Monday, July 27, […] The post Durano orders CEO’s admin division closed for disinfection appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 22nd, 2020

Paranaque City legislative, other offices temporarily closed for disinfection

PARANAQUE City legislative building and other few officers of the city government are temporarily closed today until Wednesday, July 22. Parañaque City Mayor Edwin Olivarez made the announcement on Facebook Sunday night. Olivarez said the temporary closure will give way for disinfection. The offices ordered closes are of the judiciary and other national government agencies, […] The post Paranaque City legislative, other offices temporarily closed for disinfection appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJul 20th, 2020

S. Korea temporarily closes embassy in PH for disinfection

The Embassy of the Republic of Korea on Saturday announced that its consular office in Taguig City will be temporarily closed from July 20 to 22 to give way for the disinfection following health protocols. This after a member of the security personnel tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), according to the embassy’s […] The post S. Korea temporarily closes embassy in PH for disinfection appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJul 18th, 2020

QC Hall of Justice to be closed until testing, containment measures completed

The Quezon City’s Hall of Justice (HOJ) will remain closed until at the earliest, July 17, as containment measures continued to be conducted in the building premises......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 14th, 2020

Capitol closed for disinfection from July 1 to 3

CEBU CITY, Philippines —The Cebu Provincial Capitol will be closed for three days starting on Wednesday, July 1, and until Friday 3, 2020. In a memorandum issued by the Office of the Governor, it was explained that the closure is due to a thorough disinfection that will be done on provincial government offices at the […] The post Capitol closed for disinfection from July 1 to 3 appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 30th, 2020

Daanbantayan closes municipal hall for disinfection

MANDAUE CITY, Cebu – Offices at the Daanbantayan municipal hall in northern Cebu will be closed for the day to facilitate disinfection. “Midesider ang IATF ug ICS nga i-suspend ang operations sa mga upisina sa munisipyo karong adlawa, Lunes June 22, 2020. Tungod kay gi-disinfect ang tibuok municipal hall,” said an advisory that was posted […] The post Daanbantayan closes municipal hall for disinfection appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 22nd, 2020

IN PHOTOS: Fun run in celebration of Police Community Relations Month

TALISAY CITY. CEBU—Police officers of  Central Visayas participated in a fun run on Sunday morning, July 28, in celebration of Police Community Relations Month, which falls from July 1 to 31. Police Brigadier General Debold Sinas, director of Police Regional Office in Central Visayas (PRO-7), led the kick off ceremony at the Talisay City Hall. According […] The post IN PHOTOS: Fun run in celebration of Police Community Relations Month appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 28th, 2019

Talisay City Mayor’s Cup 2019 launched

Cebu City, Philippines—It’s all systems go for the staging of the Talisay City Mayor’s Cup 2019 after the tournament was launched on Wednesday, July 24, 2019, at the People’s Hall of the Talisay City Hall in Talisay City, Cebu. A total of 22 barangays will be competing in the tournament slated to open on September […] The post Talisay City Mayor’s Cup 2019 launched appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 24th, 2019

Samsam promises ‘Aksyon Agad’ policy in addressing city’s traffic woes

CEBU CITY, Philippines – Talisay City Mayor Gerard Anthony “Samsam” Gullas activated today, July 2, the City Command Center that is located near the City Hall’s main gate. The command center, a two-storey building donated by Aboitiz Foundation, will serve as the new home of the City of Talisay Traffic Operation Development Authority (CT-TODA) and […] The post Samsam promises ‘Aksyon Agad’ policy in addressing city’s traffic woes appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 2nd, 2019

Repair ongoing for damaged road in Brgy Bulacao

CEBU CITY, Philippines — A road in Barangay Bulacao in Talisay City was closed to motorists on Saturday morning, December 19, after it incurred damage from incessant rains brought by typhoon #VickyPH. Barangay Captain Banjo Abastillas said that the rains may have softened its foundation causing a portion of the newly cemented road to cave […] The post Repair ongoing for damaged road in Brgy Bulacao appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 19th, 2020

Coaching great John Thompson of Georgetown dead at 78

By JOSEPH WHITE AP Sports Writer WASHINGTON (AP) — John Thompson, the imposing Hall of Famer who turned Georgetown into a “Hoya Paranoia” powerhouse and became the first Black coach to lead a team to the NCAA men’s basketball championship, has died. He was 78 His death was announced in a family statement released by Georgetown on Monday. No details were disclosed. “Our father was an inspiration to many and devoted his life to developing young people not simply on but, most importantly, off the basketball court. He is revered as a historic shepherd of the sport, dedicated to the welfare of his community above all else,” the statement said. “However, for us, his greatest legacy remains as a father, grandfather, uncle, and friend. More than a coach, he was our foundation. More than a legend, he was the voice in our ear everyday.” One of the most celebrated and polarizing figures in his sport, Thompson took over a moribund Georgetown program in the 1970s and molded it in his unique style into a perennial contender, culminating with a national championship team anchored by center Patrick Ewing in 1984. Georgetown reached two other title games with Thompson in charge and Ewing patrolling the paint, losing to Michael Jordan’s North Carolina team in 1982 and to Villanova in 1985. At 6-foot-10, with an ever-present white towel slung over his shoulder, Thompson literally and figuratively towered over the Hoyas for decades, becoming a patriarch of sorts after he quit coaching in 1999. One of his sons, John Thompson III, was hired as Georgetown’s coach in 2004. When the son was fired in 2017, the elder Thompson -- known affectionately as “Big John” or “Pops” to many -- was at the news conference announcing Ewing as the successor. Along the way, Thompson said what he thought, shielded his players from the media and took positions that weren’t always popular. He never shied away from sensitive topics -- particularly the role of race in both sports and society -- and he once famously walked off the court before a game to protest an NCAA rule because he felt it hurt minority athletes. “I’ll probably be remembered for all the things that kept me out of the Hall of Fame, ironically, more than for the things that got me into it,” Thompson said on the day he was elected to the Hall in 1999. Thompson became coach of the Hoyas in 1972 and began remaking a team that was 3-23 the previous season. Over the next 27 years, he led Georgetown to 14 straight NCAA tournaments (1979-92), 24 consecutive postseason appearances (20 NCAA, 4 NIT), three Final Fours (1982, 1984, 1985) and won six Big East tournament championships. Employing a physical, defense-focused approach that frequently relied on a dominant center -- Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutombo were among his other pupils -- Thompson compiled a 596-239 record (.715 winning percentage). He had 26 players drafted by the NBA. One of his honors -- his selection as coach of the U.S. team for the 1988 Olympics -- had a sour ending when the Americans had to settle for the bronze medal. It was a result so disappointing that Thompson put himself on a sort of self-imposed leave at Georgetown for a while, coaching practices and games but leaving many other duties to his assistants. Off the court, Thompson was both a role model and a lightning rod. A stickler for academics, he kept a deflated basketball on his desk, a reminder to his players that a degree was a necessity because a career in basketball relied on a tenuous “nine pounds of air.” The school boasted that 76 of 78 players who played four seasons under Thompson received their degrees. He was a Black coach who recruited mostly Black players to a predominantly white Jesuit university in Washington, and Thompson never hesitated to speak out on behalf of his players. One of the most dramatic moments in Georgetown history came on Jan. 14, 1989, when he walked off the court to a standing ovation before the tipoff of a home game against Boston College, demonstrating in a most public way his displeasure against NCAA Proposition 42. The rule denied athletic scholarships to freshmen who didn’t meet certain requirements, and Thompson said it was biased against underprivileged students. Opposition from Thompson, and others, led the NCAA to modify the rule. Thompson’s most daring move came that same year, when he summoned notorious drug kingpin Rayful Edmond III for a meeting in the coach’s office. Thompson warned Edmond to stop associating with Hoyas players and to leave them alone, using his respect in the Black community to become one of the few people to stare down Edmond and not face a reprisal. Though aware of his influence, Thompson did not take pride in becoming the first Black coach to take a team to the Final Four, and he let a room full of reporters know it when asked his feelings on the subject at a news conference in 1982. “I resent the hell out of that question if it implies I am the first Black coach competent enough to take a team to the Final Four,” Thompson said. “Other Blacks have been denied the right in this country; coaches who have the ability. I don’t take any pride in being the first Black coach in the Final Four. I find the question extremely offensive.” Born Sept. 2, 1941, John R. Thompson Jr. grew up in Washington, D.C. His father was always working — on a farm in Maryland and later as a laborer in the city — and could neither read nor write. “I never in my life saw my father’s hands clean,” Thompson told The Associated Press in 2007. “Never. He’d come home and scrub his hands with this ugly brown soap that looked like tar. I thought that was the color of his hands. When I was still coaching, kids would show up late for practice and I’d (say) ... ‘My father got up every morning of his life at 5 a.m. to go to work. Without an alarm.‘” Thompson’s parents emphasized education, but he struggled in part of because of poor eyesight and labored in Catholic grammar school. He was moved to a segregated public school, had a growth spurt and became good enough at basketball to get into John Carroll, a Catholic high school, where he led the team to 55 consecutive victories and two city titles. He went to Providence College as one of the most touted basketball prospects in the country and led the Friars to the first NCAA bid in school history. He graduated in 1964 and played two seasons with Red Auerbach’s Boston Celtics, earning a pair of championship rings as a sparingly used backup to Bill Russell. Thompson returned to Washington, got his master’s degree in guidance and counseling from the University of the District of Columbia and went 122-28 over six seasons at St. Anthony’s before accepting the job at Georgetown, an elite school that had relatively few Black students. Faculty and students rallied around him after a bedsheet with racist words was hung inside the school’s gym before a game during the 1974-75 season. Thompson sheltered his players with closed practices, tightly controlled media access and a prohibition on interviews with freshmen in their first semester -- a restriction that still stands for Georgetown’s basketball team. Combined with Thompson’s flashes of emotion and his players’ rough-and-tumble style of play, it wasn’t long before the words “Hoya Paranoia” came to epitomize the new era of basketball on the Hilltop campus. Georgetown lost the 1982 NCAA championship game when Fred Brown mistakenly passed the ball to North Carolina’s James Worthy in the game’s final seconds. Two years later, Ewing led an 84-75 win over Houston in the title game. The Hoyas were on the verge of a repeat the following year when they were stunned in the championship game by coach Rollie Massimino’s Villanova team in one of the biggest upsets in tournament history. Success allowed Thompson to rake in money through endorsements, but he ran afoul of his Georgetown bosses when he applied for a gambling license for a business venture in Nevada in 1995. Thompson, who liked playing the slot machines in Las Vegas, reluctantly dropped the application after the university president objected. Centers Ewing, Mourning and Mutombo turned Georgetown into “Big Man U” under Thompson, although his last superstar was guard Allen Iverson, who in 1996 also became the first player under Thompson to leave school early for the NBA draft. “Thanks for Saving My Life Coach,” Iverson wrote at the start of an Instagram post Monday with photos of the pair. The Hoyas teams in the 1990s never came close to matching the achievements of the 1980s, and Thompson’s era came to a surprising and sudden end when he resigned in the middle of the 1998-99 season, citing distractions from a pending divorce. Thompson didn’t fade from the limelight. He became a sports radio talk show host and a TV and radio game analyst, joining the very profession he had frustrated so often as a coach. He loosened up, allowing the public to see his lighter side, but he remained pointed and combative when a topic mattered to him. A torch was passed in 2004, when John Thompson III became Georgetown’s coach. The younger Thompson, with “Pops” often watching from the stands or sitting in the back of the room for news conferences, returned the Hoyas to the Final Four in 2007. Another son, Ronny Thompson, was head coach for one season at Ball State and is now a TV analyst. ___ Joseph White, a former AP sports writer in Washington who died in 2019, prepared this obituary. AP Sports Writer Howard Fendrich contributed......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsNov 15th, 2020

Clashes in Barcelona over virus restrictions

Protesters clashed with police in central Barcelona on Friday after hundreds gathered to demonstrate against new coronavirus restrictions, including a curfew and a ban on leaving the city over the holiday weekend.  A protester throws crowd control barriers towards members of the Catalan regional police force Mossos d’Esquadra as clashes erupt during a demonstration against new coronavirus restrictions in Barcelona on October 30, 2020. (Photo by Josep LAGO / AFP) A spokesman for the Mossos d’Esquadra regional police told AFP up to 700 protesters attended the rally which later turned violent when a group of some 50 people “began throwing dangerous objects” at police, prompting them to try and break up the crowd.  An AFPTV correspondent in the central Plaza Sant Jaume saw scores of demonstrators wearing face masks, many chanting “freedom”, hurling rocks and crowd control barriers at police in full riot gear as the surrounding streets filled with smoke from burning barricades. Sirens wailed throughout the city centre as police sought to disperse the protesters with batons and firefighters hosed down fires in several large wheelie bins. Twenty police officers were injured in the clashes and twelve people were arrested, the regional police said on Twitter.  At least two establishments were looted and several police vehicles damaged, it added. A protest in the northern Spanish city of Burgos also turned violent when several dozen young protestors began throwing bottles and stones at police and torching rubbish bins, the Diario de Burgos news website reported.  “What’s happening in Burgos tonight only brings more pain and destruction. Anger won’t get us out of here,” tweeted Francisco Igea, number two in the Castilla y Leon region.  Despite the many restrictions imposed in Spain since July, when the number of cases began rising again, infections have spiralled with the virus claiming more than 35,000 lives and infecting more than 1.1 million people.  Almost all of Spain’s regions have imposed border closures in the hope of avoiding a new lockdown, but in Catalonia, where bars and restaurants have been closed since mid-October, the authorities have imposed extra restrictions.  Residents have been barred from leaving towns and cities over the weekend with police on Friday checking drivers on the main roads leading out of Barcelona......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 31st, 2020

Hall of Justice under lockdown after 10 staff test positive for Covid-19

The Davao City Hall of Justice will be closed temporarily until October 30 after ten court employees tested positive for Covid-19......»»

Category: newsSource:  davaotodayRelated NewsOct 19th, 2020

GSIS building in Cotabato City closed for COVID-19 disinfection

The two-storey office building along Gov. Gutierrez Avenue is closed until Friday, according to an advisory the GSIS released Monday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 6th, 2020

Chan on burglaries: More CCTVs, security guards at city hall compound

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines — Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan plans to tighten security at the City Hall compound after burglars hit two department offices in separate buildings there in a span of 10 days. Chan said he planned to install more security cameras or closed circuit television cameras (CCTVs) in the different buildings in […] The post Chan on burglaries: More CCTVs, security guards at city hall compound appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 6th, 2020

Lawton COVID test center closed

The City of Manila has closed the drive-thru serology center at the Kartilya ng Katipunan monument beside City Hall to give way to an ongoing construction. In a Facebook Live broadcast, Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso advised the public to instead proceed to the drive-thru COVID-19 test site at the Quirino Grandstand at Rizal Park. […] The post Lawton COVID test center closed appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsSep 29th, 2020