Advertisements


Stop ‘red-tagging’, Rody orders military and police

President Rodrigo Duterte wants security officials to refrain from accusing individuals as communists or terrorists without evidence, Malacañang said Monday after a high-ranking official drew flak for warning celebrities in joining alleged “communist fronts.” Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the Chief Executive wanted the military and police officers to fulfill their tasks privately and in […] The post Stop ‘red-tagging’, Rody orders military and police appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: sportsSource: abscbn abscbnOct 26th, 2020

CPP is deceiving the public for denying existence of its front organizations — Roque

It would be the height of deception of the local communist rebel group if it will deny the existence of their front organizations, a Palace official said Tuesday. Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque (OPS / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN) According to Presidential spokesman Harry Roque, the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) has an armed group, the New People’s Army (NPA), as well as a political wing composed of the so-called legal front groups. He argued that these front organizations may not take up arms but still belong to the communist rebel group. Roque made the statement even after clarifying that authorities have been advised against red-tagging personalties without presenting proof. “Lilinawin ko, bagama’t ang sinabi ni Secretary Lorenzana na polisiya natin talaga ay kung walang ebidensiya dapat manahimik at huwag mag-red tagging eh hindi naman po ibig sabihin noon na wala talagang mga organisasyon na talagang kasapi at kabahagi ng CPP-NPA (I’d like to make clear that although (Defense) Secretary (Delfin) Lorenzana mentioned our policy to stay silent and avoid red-tagging personalities without proof, it does not mean that there are no organizations belonging to the CPP-NPA),” Roque said during a televised press briefing.  “Ang CPP-NPA po, talagang mayroon silang revolutionary armed struggle, iyan po iyong NPA at mayroon silang political, kasama sa political ay iyong mga tinawag nilang mga organisasyon na diumano’y legal dahil hindi naman sila humahawak ng baril pero kabahagi pa rin po ng CPP-NPA at hindi po madi-deny iyan. Kaplastikan po ng CPP-NPA kung sasabihin nilang wala silang mga legal fronts na tinatawag. (The CPP-NPA has a revolutionary armed struggle, that’s the NPA and they have a political arm composed of what they call legal organizations because they don’t take up arms but they are still part of the CPP-NPA and that cannot be denied. It will be deceitful for the CPP-NPA if they will say they don’t have so-called legal fronts),” he said. Amnesty International earlier appealed to the Philippine government to halt “its vicious and at times deadly practice of red-tagging” or labeling of groups or persons as communists or terrorists. The group urged the government to address criticisms about its policies instead of allegedly endangering people practicing free speech.“In the prevailing context where red-tagged individuals become the targets of harassment, threats and even killings, courts and pertinent government agencies must take concrete steps to ensure the safety and protection of these individuals,” the group said in its website. The appeal was made as the Senate started an inquiry into the controversial red-tagging activities of some military officials. Last week, the Palace said President Duterte wanted military and police officials to stop labeling personalities as communists without showing evidence. Duterte has spoken through Lorenzana who advised officials to be careful in red-tagging, according to Roque. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsNov 3rd, 2020

Rody orders cops, soldiers to pull out of Taal

President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday ordered the withdrawal of police and military troops in areas affected by Taal eruption, saying their lungs have been filled with ash, as the number of families affected climbed to 109,054 despite the lowering of its status to Alert Level 3......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 29th, 2020

I never gave orders to military, police during Typhoon Ulysses – Robredo

Vice President Leni Robredo and President Rodrigo Duterte (Photos from their offices) MANILA, Philippines — Vice President Leni Robredo denied on Wednesday breaking the chain of command by giving orders to the military and police during rescue and relief operations in Cagayan Valley, which was during the onslaught of Typhoon Ulysses. She was reacting to […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  balitaRelated NewsNov 19th, 2020

Pushback slows down red-tagging spree

It seems that time is up for reckoning on the crude, arrogant and irresponsible red-tagging campaign, waged mainly by the military and police at the behest of the National Task Force to End the Local Communist Armed Confict or NTF-ELCAC......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 30th, 2020

Opposition solons chide General Parlade on red-tagging

Opposition lawmakers chided Thursday Lt. Gen. Antonio Parlade, a staunch anti-communist military official, for allegedly red-tagging actress Liza Soberano after appearing in a webinar against gender-based exploitation and sexual harassment. Parlade commented on Soberano when she appeared in the webinar sponsored by Gabriela Youth. Deputy Minority Leader and Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Isagani Zarate said Parlade has been “red-tagging anyone who works or espousing the same cause and issues of progressive groups.” “Anybody and everybody should speak out against abuse and not let them be until they are extinguished,” said Zarate. He chided Parlade for allegedly assuming that “celebrities, the youth, women, urban poor, lumad and rural folk are ignorant or even stupid, to stand up for their rights and beliefs on their own.” In a separate statement, Gabriela Partylist Rep. Arlene Brosas finds it “starkly ironic” for Parlade to appeal to stop red-tagging Soberano when it was the military official who actually made the accusation. “By saying that Soberano is “not yet an NPA,” he is maliciously associating the actress with the armed movement when what she did in the youth forum was only to speak up for all the victims of gender-based violence and abuse,” said Brosas. She stated: “It is clear that Parlade, the NTF-ELCAC and the paid trolls are the ones who are rabidly red-tagging Liza Soberano and other female celebrities and influencers who are taking a stand and speaking out against the macho-fascism under the Duterte regime.” Reacting to the statements of the Makabayan solons and Senator Risa Hontiveros, Parlade said it is “government’s job to expose this duplicitous nature of the CPP (Communist Party of the Philippines). “But we differ in the way Gabriela exploits these genuine advocates, because the CPP’s underground MAKIBAKA, is the one stirring and orchestrating it,” said the general. He described the CPP as a monster that “knows no friend.” “They will feed you to the lion’s den if you are not careful. This is what happened to Jo Lapira, Ren Manalo, Camille Manangan etc., Gabriela Youth who were all killed for ceasing to be a plain activist and ended up being with the terrorist,” Parlade noted. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 22nd, 2020

Russia reports record virus cases but shuns new restrictions

Russia registered its highest-ever number of new coronavirus infections on Friday after officials warned that tight restrictions could be put back in place if people continued to flout restrictions. New cases in Russia have surged past the record levels seen in May Dimitar DILKOFF AFP/File/ MANILA BULLETIN Restaurants and bars in Moscow were bustling and many residents were ignoring orders to wear masks in public as nationwide infections surged in September, but officials stopped short of imposing new sweeping measures to slow the spread of the virus. European leaders across the continent are scambling to amend virus regulations against the backdrop of a surge in new cases, and even Germany, which was praised for its early handling of the pandemic, has suffered a large increase in new infections. But officials in Russia, which has the world’s fourth-highest caseload after the United States, India and Brazil, have so far dismissed the idea there is a second wave of infections or any need for a new lockdown.   A government tally registered 12,126 new cases on Friday, surpassing the country’s previous record set in May by several hundred cases. “I’m really afraid that things will go back to how they were in the spring, that everyone will be quarantined and we won’t be allowed to go to work,” Vladimir, a teacher in Saint Petersburg who declined to give his last name, told AFP.  – Training dogs to detect virus – As Russia is experiencing a surge in coronavirus cases, the country’s flagship airline Aeroflot is training sniffer dogs to detect the coronavirus by scent. Aeroflot uses a special jackal-dog hybrid called Shalaika in Russian to detect explosives. Now dog handlers say the Shalaikas — who have a powerful sense of smell — can be taught to sniff out the coronavirus. “The dog is not looking for the virus, the dog is looking for a person with signs of the disease,” Elena Batayeva, head of canine monitoring at Aeroflot, told reporters. Russia imposed one of the most severe nationwide lockdowns at the beginning of the pandemic. Non-essential businesses were shuttered and Moscow residents only permitted to move freely with official digital passes. But most restrictions were lifted ahead of a large WWII military parade in June and a nationwide vote on amendments that paved the way for President Vladimir Putin to remain in power until 2036. Officials in Moscow, which is the epicentre of Russia’s pandemic, have taken only minor steps to slow the spread of cases. Mayor Sergei Sobyanin has ordered the elderly and vulnerable to stay at home and told employers to keep at least a third of staff working remotely.  Mask-wearing is compulsory on public transport and inside shops, but some Muscovites are not convinced others are doing enough to stop the spread of infections. “The city is making the necessary decisions. But it won’t work without people responding to these measures, helping themselves and those around them,” Sobyanin said Friday. Tatyana Nemirovskaya, a 30-year-old PR specialist, told AFP that Muscovites are “definitely not” following the government’s guidelines. The head of Russia’s consumer rights watchdog, Rospotrebnadzor, which is spearheading the country’s virus response, warned this week of “new measures” if the current rules were not followed. The Kremlin said Friday that if the situation continues to deteriorate it will “require some actions, decisions”. – ‘Without masks, having fun’ – But Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov placed the blame on Russians for the surging caseload, saying it was clear that “many people don’t think it is necessary to take care of providing the safety of their health.”  Standing next to a memorial to medics who have died during the pandemic in Saint Petersburg, Stella, a resident of Russia’s second city, said people had dropped their guard after mass restrictions were lifted. “The rules were slightly eased and people calmly walked around without masks, having fun and everything began again,” she said. Russia announced in August it had registered the world’s first coronavirus vaccine, named Sputnik V after the Soviet-era satellite and a number of officials have said they volunteered for inoculation, including Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu.  Putin this week said “around 50 people” in his inner circle, including staff and family, had been vaccinated. Russia has recorded a total of 22,257 fatalities from the virus, a much lower figure compared to other badly-hit countries. Kremlin critics have suggested the authorities have downplayed the death rate to hide the severity of the outbreak......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 9th, 2020

US legislators told: Be wise, not wild

An administration senator said Friday it would be wise for United States legislators to do their research first before they act on the new measure filed in the US  House of Representatives which seeks to stop American help to the Philippine military and police until reforms are made to address alleged human rights violations......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 25th, 2020

The PNP and COVID-19

Ever since the start of the pandemic, the Philippine National Police has been an integral part of the government effort to stop the spread of COVID-19. In fact, it is not only the police but also the military to some extent. In addition, the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Disease which is the ad hoc government body managing the pandemic is full of high ranking retired police and military officers occupying decision-making positions......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJul 23rd, 2020

Rody appeals for calm amid shooting probe

President Rodrigo Duterte has appealed to both the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) to “stay calm” to defuse tension between the military and police following the shooting incident in Jolo, Sulu, which left four soldiers dead......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJul 4th, 2020

PNP, military report improved compliance with quarantine

Police and military officials have observed better compliance from the public with the enhanced community quarantine, which is nearing its first week of implementation to stop the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 21st, 2020

President orders police, military out of Taal Volcano danger zones

President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the pullout of police and military personnel from the vicinity of Taal Volcano to avoid further health issues and possible conflict with local residents. Taal Volcano erupted on 12 January, spewing large amounts of ash compelling mass evacuation of local residents. In a speech during the 69th Founding Anniversary Celebration of […] The post President orders police, military out of Taal Volcano danger zones appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJan 29th, 2020

CPP orders Christmas ceasefire, waits for reciprocal order from government

"This ceasefire order shall take effect upon issuance of the corresponding and reciprocal ceasefire orders in the form of Suspension of Military Operations (SOMO) and Suspension of Police Operations (SOPO) to be issued by the Government of the Republic of the Philippines," the CPP Central Committee said......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 22nd, 2019
Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 11th, 2019

Church leaders, farmers to military: Hands off our members

Church and peasant leaders told the military to stop harassing their members and tagging their organizations as communist-rebel fronts during a dialogue facilitated by the Provincial Government of Ilocos Sur. The post Church leaders, farmers to military: Hands off our members appeared first on A people's news site in Northern Luzon......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsAug 19th, 2019

Duterte said ‘sea bargain’ would violate Constitution

Is President Rody Duterte’s fishing agreement with Xi Jinping a virtual successful invasion by China without a shot fired? Is it not a violation of our Constitution that orders our President and military to defend what’s ours?.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 25th, 2019

Military slams Joma for calling Duterte traitor

The Armed Forces of the Philippines yesterday denounced exiled communist leader Joma Sison for branding President Duterte as a traitor who could be easily removed from power and taken into custody by the Philippine military and police on the orders of the United States. Col. Noel Detoyato, AFP public affairs chief, stressed that the Philippines […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJul 8th, 2019

AGAINST ALL ODDS | Despite red-tagging, a thousand of Anakpawis gather in Cagayan

A thousand farmers joined the Anakpawis provincial assembly in Cagayan province and renewed their pledge to support the pro-poor and pro-farmer platform of the party-list in defiance of the intensified police and military red-baiting against the group......»»

Category: newsSource:  nordisRelated NewsApr 28th, 2019

Rody wants Abus eliminated

MANILA, Philippines – In his first joint command conference with the military and the police this year, President Duterte on Friday said he wanted the terror.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 7th, 2017

AFP, PNP help sought to stop Samar killings

MANILA, Philippines - The police and military have been asked to stop the killings of barangay officials and their supporters in Samar......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 17th, 2016

‘Addicts to reach 4 M, so let’s stop this now’

Rody orders cops to destroy ‘narcotics apparatus’ DAVAO CITY, Philippines – “What am I supposed to do with the four million?”.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 24th, 2016