Advertisements


SC gags groups vs. terror law or face contempt

Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta on Tuesday ordered the 37 group of petitioners and their lawyers who are questioning the constitutionality of the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 to stop discussing the merits of the cases before the media to avoid being cited for contempt of court......»»

Category: newsSource: thestandard thestandardFeb 9th, 2021

Attacks on lawyers and associated impunity worse with terror law

The Public Interest Law Center condemns and views Calbayog City PNP’s letter to a local court asking for names of lawyers handling cases of alleged members of communist-terrorist groups......»»

Category: newsSource:  samarnewsRelated NewsJul 17th, 2021

Human rights under Duterte so far: Killings, threats and a terror law

Here is a glimpse of what happened in the justice and human rights sector in the past five years under the Duterte administration......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 26th, 2021

Philippines: Duterte’s administration should be held accountable for the killings of activists and human rights defenders

The Philippine Government must face international accountability for its widespread killing of activists and human rights defenders, and the grave human rights violations it has committed, seven human rights groups said in a statement......»»

Category: newsSource:  samarnewsRelated NewsJul 22nd, 2021

Youth groups file complaint against red-tagging

Youth and student activists filed a complaint on Friday before the Commission on Human Rights and the National Bureau of Investigation, urging them to investigate the intensified red-tagging of their organizations and members amid the implementation of the Philippine terror law. The post Youth groups file complaint against red-tagging appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsMay 22nd, 2021

Joma in terror list

By ELLSON QUISMORIO The Anti-Terrorism Council (ATC) has designated members of the Central Committee of the Community Party of the Philippines (CPP), the New People’s Army (NPA), and Islamic rebel groups – 29 individuals in all – as “terrorists” under the Anti-Terrorism Act (ATA). National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon Jr., vice chairperson of the ATC, […].....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 13th, 2021

Anti-Terror Council’s ‘undue delegation of power’ questioned

Justice Edgardo Delos Santos questioned the “undue delegation of power” provided to the council, saying that the law is silent on how it will arrive at the conclusion in designating persons or groups as terrorists. The post Anti-Terror Council’s ‘undue delegation of power’ questioned appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsMay 4th, 2021

‘Shameless act of state terror’: Groups condemn attack on yet another rights lawyer

(Updated) An international rights group on Thursday accused security forces of going on a "murder spree" following the stabbing of a lawyer representing arrested indigenous land defenders and the murder of a "key witness" to the case......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 4th, 2021

Groups slam delays in Metro Manila Bike Lane Network construction

"This delay is unacceptable. It is a slap in the face of millions of hardworking Filipinos frontline and essential workers—taxpayers all—who have taken to riding their bicycles to work to cope with the lack of public transport during the lockdown," the groups said. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 2nd, 2021

Lawyers opposing terror law to face off with OSG

Lawyers representing 37 petitioners will face off Tuesday with the Office of the Solicitor General on the issue of the constitutionality of the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 before the Supreme Court......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 1st, 2021

Terror tag on NPA: Legal fronts may be implicated

Now that the Communist Party of the Philippines and its New People’s Army have been declared by the government as terrorist groups, their legal front organizations can likewise be implicated in their crimes......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 27th, 2020

Ramped-up red-tagging a prelude to crackdown under anti-terror law, Casiño warns

An activist and former lawmaker on Tuesday warned that the red-tagging by security forces is a prelude to a harsher crackdown on critics and groups under the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 24th, 2020

Business groups press for efficient disaster response

Business groups on Monday rallied to an "urgent" call from the Management Association of the Philippines (MAP) to press the government for efficient disaster response and preparedness program in face of calamities......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsNov 17th, 2020

Northern Samar sends first batch of relief goods to ‘Rolly’ victims in Bicol

TACLOBAN CITY (PNA) – The provincial government of Northern Samar has delivered the first batch of relief augmentation to areas badly-hit by super typhoon Rolly in the Bicol Region. The trucks used in transporting the first batch of relief augmentation from the province of Northern Samar to areas hit by Super Typhoon Rolly (international name Goni) in the Bicol Region. The provincial social welfare and development office (PSWDO) on Saturday (Nov. 7, 2020) said the provinces of Albay and Catanduanes each received 500 sacks of rice, 200 boxes of assorted canned goods, 200 boxes of bottled water, and 100 boxes each of cereal drink and powdered milk. (Photo courtesy of Northern Samar PSWDO/ PNA/ MANILA BULLETIN) In a phone interview on Saturday, Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO) Head Jenny Darish, said they have sent eight truckloads of essential goods to the provinces of Albay and Catanduanes on November 6. Each province received 500 sacks of rice, 200 boxes of assorted canned goods, 200 boxes of bottled water, and 100 boxes each of cereal drink and powdered milk. “Northern Samar is also regularly hit by typhoons during this season so it is easy for us to empathize with the plight of the people in Bicol. The Bayanihan spirit lives,” Darish said. The provincial government thanked all various groups and private individuals who extended cash and in-kind donations, including the Philippine Coast Guard, Boyax Cargo, construction companies, Solid M, and JUPA, for the logistics support. “The overwhelming support and fast response from the people of Northern Samar shows us what we can achieve if we work together. We were recently battered by ‘Tisoy’ and ‘Ambo’, so the experience of our Bicolano brothers and sisters is not just a news we read online but a reality we regularly face,” Governor Edwin Ongchuan said in a press statement. The PSWDO is still accepting cash or in-kind donations. Drop-off points will be at the PSWDO office in Dalakit village in Catarman town or the different municipal social welfare and development offices in the province. “Rolly” was the strongest typhoon in the country this year, making four landfalls, and leaving at least 22 people dead while damage to agriculture and infrastructure has reached over PHP14 billion. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsNov 8th, 2020

Millions more face English virus restrictions as cases spiral

Millions more people in northern England face stricter coronavirus rules next week, officials said Friday, as reports suggested the government is considering a nationwide lockdown. A digital display shows NHS health advice on the coronavirus in Leeds on October 30, 2020. – West Yorkshire is to be placed under tier three Covid restrictions from November 2, 2020, the strictest level of rules. (Photo by Lindsey Parnaby / AFP) From Monday, nearly 2.4 million residents in five districts of West Yorkshire, including in the city of Leeds, will be barred from socialising with other households indoors. Pubs and bars not serving “substantial meals” must close, alongside casinos and betting shops, while people have also been told to avoid unnecessary travel. The Department of Health said the measures were needed as infection rates in West Yorkshire were among the highest in the country and rising rapidly. The Times reported Friday that Prime Minister Boris Johnson was considering a return to a national lockdown to battle the surge. Johnson was expected to hold a press conference on Monday to announce new restrictions, which would close everything except “essential shops”, schools and universities, the paper said, quoting a government source. In its weekly study of Covid-19 prevalence, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said the number of people with the virus had increased to around one in 100 nationwide. “There has been growth in all age groups over the past two weeks; older teenagers and young adults continue to have the highest current rates while rates appear to be steeply increasing among secondary school children,” it said. The country’s official science advisory panel warned in a report published Friday that the virus was spreading “significantly” faster and that hospitalisations were rising at a higher rate through England than its predicted “worst-case” scenario drawn up in July. The report said that in mid-October, shortly before new local rules were introduced, around four times as many people were catching Covid than anticipated in the July report. That study warned that 85,000 more people could die during the winter wave. West Yorkshire’s imminent restrictions are the latest step in the UK government’s localised response to the surging transmission, which has come under increasing scrutiny in recent weeks. More than 11 million people — about a fifth of England’s population — will be under the tightest measures from next week. Most of the areas in the “very high” category of the government’s three-tier Covid alert system are in northern and central parts of the country. Nottingham became the latest city to enter the highest tier Friday. On Thursday night, young people took to the streets in fancy dress and drank in large groups before a ban on alcohol sales in shops came into force at 2100 GMT. – ‘Targeted’ – The pandemic has hit Britain harder than any other country in Europe, with more than 45,000 people having died within 28 days of testing positive. Case rates are spiralling again after a lull, tracking the situation elsewhere on the continent. England is seeing nearly 52,000 new cases daily, a 47 percent weekly rise, according to the ONS, which conducts its analysis of households with the help of several universities and health bodies, and excludes people in hospitals and care homes.  Britain’s European neighbours and the devolved governments in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have reimposed partial lockdowns to try to cut infection rates. Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said Friday the government would continue its “targeted and focused” strategy of local restrictions in virus hotspots. “The arbitrariness of a blanket approach would be far worse than the effects of trying to be as targeted as possible,” he said. Meanwhile, a new study reported Friday that a Covid-19 variant originating in Spanish farm workers has spread rapidly throughout Europe in recent months and now accounts for most cases in Britain. The variant — called 20A.EU1 — is thought to have been spread from northeastern Spain by people returning from holidays there, according to the study, which is awaiting peer review in a medical journal. There is currently no evidence that the strain spreads faster or impacts illness severity and immunity......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 31st, 2020

Farmer attacked, killed inside his home by terrorists

CAGAYAN — A band of terrorists killed a farmer inside his residence in  Barangay Isca, Gonzaga here on Wednesday. PHOTO VIA LIEZLE BASA INIGO/ MANILA BULLETIN The victim was identified as  Freddie Pahicniyon, 34, a native of Banaue, Ifugao and resident of Purok 7, Barangay Isca, Gonzaga, Cagayan. Investigators said that at about 5:15 a.m. on  Wednesday, at least 10 unidentified terrorists in camouflage  uniforms barged into the house of the victim and shot him several times causing his instantaneous death. The suspects fled towards Sitio Tagcar of Brgy. Isca, Gonzaga, Cagayan. Police Regional Office 2 (PRO2) Regional Director Police Brigadier General Crizaldo O Nieves said the murderous act of the Communist Terrorist Group is proof of their criminal nature and total disregard for the life and rights of other people.  “I urge the public to deny support to these lawless groups and to immediately report to the authorities their presence in the community to prevent them from disturbing the peace and order in the region,” he added. Nieves assured the family of the slain farmer that they will hunt down the perpetrators and have them face the full force of the law. He directed Cagayan Philippine National Police Provincial Director Col. Ariel N Quilang to conduct a thorough investigation and manhunt operation for the identification and immediate arrest of the perpetrators. “They are no different from ordinary criminals. Hence, treat them as such,” Nieves said......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 29th, 2020

Iranian groups face new sanctions

WASHINGTON (AFP) — The US Treasury on Thursday slapped new sanctions on five Iranian entities for what it called “brazen attempts” to interfere with the US election and US voters. The Treasury named the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), the IRGC-Qods Force, the Bayan Rasaneh Gostar Institute, the Iranian Islamic Radio and Television Union and […] The post Iranian groups face new sanctions appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsOct 23rd, 2020

The & lsquo;terror law& rsquo;

With the publication of its Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR), the Anti-Terrorism Act (ATA) can now be implemented. This, despite the at least 34 petitions filed by various groups and personalities with the Supreme Court (SC) challenging the law’s constitutionality......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsOct 23rd, 2020

Consumers threaten FDA with graft charges over e-cigs and heated tobacco rules

MANILA, Philippines — The Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) continues to face backlash from stakeholders who are now threatening to file graft charges before the Ombudsman following the regulatory agency’s admission of receiving funds from foreign vested interest groups. The FDA conducted virtual public consultations on the general guidelines for e- cigarettes and heated tobacco […] The post Consumers threaten FDA with graft charges over e-cigs and heated tobacco rules appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 23rd, 2020

Anti-terror law faces more legal challenges

Thirty-seven. That's the total number of petitions against Republic Act 11479, or the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020, already filed by various groups before the Supreme Court even before its Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) had been drawn up......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsOct 23rd, 2020

Consumers threaten FDA with graft charges

The Food and Drugs Administration continued to face backlash from stakeholders who threatened to file graft charges before the Ombudsman following the regulatory agency’s alleged admission of receiving funds from foreign vested interest groups......»»

Category: financeSource:  thestandardRelated NewsOct 20th, 2020