Advertisements


Philippines: Duterte’s administration should be held accountable for the killings of activists and human rights defenders

The Philippine Government must face international accountability for its widespread killing of activists and human rights defenders, and the grave human rights violations it has committed, seven human rights groups said in a statement......»»

Category: newsSource: samarnews samarnewsJul 22nd, 2021

Milestone UN-Phl rights program just spin if killings continue, HRW says

A new joint program between the United Nations and the Philippines to improve human rights conditions in the country will just be "spin" in the face of continued killings during President Rodrigo Duterte’s administration, Human Rights Watch said......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 28th, 2021

‘Weaponizing human rights?’ | Rights group refutes Duterte’s ‘lies’ at the UN assembly

"Duterte would rather discredit human rights defenders and institutions than acknowledge that there are extrajudicial killings and other violations in the Philippines. He continues to deny what the whole world has already come to recognize." The post ‘Weaponizing human rights?’ | Rights group refutes Duterte’s ‘lies’ at the UN assembly appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsSep 24th, 2020

PNP denies hiding data on killings

  The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Saturday denied that President Duterte instructed them to ban the release of information pertaining to the recent killings of human rights defenders and activists in the country. “The Philippine National Police categorically denies that President Rodrigo Duterte issued any order prohibiting the release of information or data with […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsAug 23rd, 2020

No Duterte order to withhold info on activist killings – Palace

President Duterte has not prevented anyone from cooperating with the investigation of the Commission on Human Rights on the killing of 89 activists and human rights defenders, Presidential spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 23rd, 2020

Palace: No order to withhold info on killings

Malacañang denied an alleged report that President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the Philippine National Police not to release to the Commission on Human Rights the information of its investigation on the attacks against rights defenders and activists......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsAug 22nd, 2020

Philippines to UN rights council: Panel to look into deaths in anti-drug operations

The Philippine government has created an inter-agency panel to investigate killings under the Duterte administration’s brutal drug war, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra told the United Nations Human Rights Council......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 30th, 2020

Human rights under Duterte so far: Killings, threats and a terror law

Here is a glimpse of what happened in the justice and human rights sector in the past five years under the Duterte administration......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 26th, 2021

U.N. Rights Council to Investigate Killings in Philippine Drug War

By Nick Cumming-Bruce/nytimes.com – The United Nations’ top human rights body voted on Thursday to examine thousands of alleged extrajudicial police killings linked to President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs in the Philippines, a campaign that rights groups around the world have denounced as a lawless atrocity. The United Nations’ Read more ».....»»

Category: newsSource:  thepinoyRelated NewsJul 23rd, 2021

ICC probe into drug war can proceed without government cooperation – lawyer

With the Duterte administration vowing not to cooperate, it will be challenging for the International Criminal Court to investigate the alleged crimes against humanity committed during the course of the “war on drugs” in the Philippines, but a human rights lawyer said that hurdle can be conquered......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 29th, 2021

Rights groups call for international fact-finding into killings of activists, rights defenders

In a statement Thursday, seven human rights organizations condemned the recent killing of nine activists in Calabarzon, which they said “highlighted the continuous attacks against the government’s critics.”.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 18th, 2021

Hackers attack government main website; EU welcomes probe on killings

Hackers under the group Cyber PH for Human Rights launched a symbolic cyberattack on the Gov.ph website on Wednesday to protest the killing of nine activists on March 7 and get President Rodrigo Duterte’s attention......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsMar 11th, 2021

Philippines slams UN body’s ‘overreach’ on killings

The Philippine mission to the United Nations in Geneva has defended joint police and military operations against activists in Calabarzon on Sunday, saying it was ”appalled” at the UN human rights office for prejudging the raids......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 10th, 2021

Mass killing of civilians in the Philippines appalls United Nations

“We are deeply worried that these latest killings indicate an escalation in violence, intimidation and harassment and red tagging of human rights defenders.” -- UN The post Mass killing of civilians in the Philippines appalls United Nations appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsMar 10th, 2021

4 other victims of 'BloodySunday killings identified

Human rights group Karapatan Timog Katagalugan said Dumagat Sierra Madre members Puroy dela Cruz and Randy dela Cruz were shot dead by the police in Sitio Mina, Barangay Sta. Inez, Tanay, Rizal. Urban poor activists Abner Esto and Edward Esto were also killed by the police in sitio Macaingalan, Barangay Puray, Rodriguez, Rizal as part of the Conduct of Simultaneous Implementation of Search Warrants dubbed COPLAN ASVAL by the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Armed Forces of the Philippines across four provinces last March 7. The post 4 other victims of #BloodySunday killings identified appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsMar 9th, 2021

EU calls on Philippines to address EJKs

The European Union has called on the Philippines to address extrajudicial killings and improve governance in the context of promoting human rights and holding violators accountable as part of their new Partnership and Cooperation Agreement......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 7th, 2021

On International Human Rights Day, one journalist, 6 activists arrested in separate raids

Teddy Casiño of Bayan said the Duterte administration is the "number one human rights violator." The post On International Human Rights Day, one journalist, 6 activists arrested in separate raids appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsDec 14th, 2020

UNHRC adopts reso sparing PH from international probe into rights abuses

By JONAS ALPASAN Bulatlat.com MANILA – The United Nations Human Rights Council adopted the tabled resolution on the Philippines during its 45th regular session, which practically spares the Duterte administration from an international investigation into alleged human rights violations. In a statement, the Ecumenical Voice for Human Rights and Peace in the Philippines, along with… The post UNHRC adopts reso sparing PH from international probe into rights abuses appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsOct 7th, 2020

UN rights council urged to look into reprisals vs activists in Philippines

Karapatan said the report of the UN Secretary General on reprisals “reflects the systemic patterns of reprisals which we see in the Philippines against human rights defenders engaging with the UN.”.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 1st, 2020

Wild accusations

There was something supremely ironic about a bill filed by a US congresswoman seeking to suspend American security assistance to the Philippines until the Duterte administration institutes reforms in the military and police to end human rights abuses here......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 29th, 2020

US legislator: Suspend aid to PH; Wild idea& mdash;Roque

A lawmaker from Pennsylvania has introduced a bill in the US Congress seeking to suspend American security assistance to the Philippines until the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte institutes reforms in the military and police to end human rights abuses......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 25th, 2020