Advertisements


Party-list, labor group want hazard pay for eruption workers, media

A labor group on Saturday said workers in establishments and members of the media, who are working within the danger zone of the Taal Volcano, are entitled to a minimum of 25 percent hazard pay. Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (TUCP) Party-list Rep. Raymond Mendoza is calling for the payment of hazard pay to […] The post Party-list, labor group want hazard pay for eruption workers, media appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource: tribune tribuneJan 19th, 2020

9 Senate bets, Kabataan party-list get endorsement from labor group

A labor group formally endorsed nine senatorial aspirants—a mix of labor leaders and opposition candidates—and a youth party-list who will champion the welfare of Filipino workers for the May midterm polls......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 30th, 2019

Philippines among top 10 countries worst for workers — group

Due to violations of labor rights, the Philippines is still included in the list of top 10 countries considered as worst for workers, based on the International Trade Union Confederation Global Rights Index for 2020......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 20th, 2020

Solons, TUCP: Houses, jobs for victims

The workers group Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (TUCP) on Saturday called on the government to give a minimum of 25 percent hazard pay to journalists composed of reporters, cameramen, assistant cameramen, photographers, researchers and drivers covering the Taal eruption and to workers in hotels and restaurants in Tagaytay City......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 18th, 2020

Labor group pushes 25% hazard pay for workers amid Taal unrest

  MANILA, Philippines – Labor group Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (TUCP) on Saturday, January 18, urged employers to provide a minimum of 25% hazard pay for employees working within the danger zone amid the Taal Volcano unrest.  The employees include those working in ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 18th, 2020

9,195 Filipino nurses sought United States jobs in 9 months

A total of 9,195 Filipino nurses hoping to land jobs in the United States took the US licensure exam from January to September this year, a party-list group representing overseas Filipino workers said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 3rd, 2019

NBA postpones media sessions in Shanghai amid China rift

By Tim Reynolds, Associated Press NBA Commissioner Adam Silver told the Brooklyn Nets and Los Angeles Lakers on Wednesday that the league is still expecting them to play as scheduled this week, even while the rift between the league and Chinese officials continued in ways that clearly suggested the two planned games in Shanghai and Shenzhen were anything but guaranteed. The NBA called off scheduled media sessions Wednesday for both teams. At least two other NBA events to be held Wednesday before the start of the China games were canceled as part of the fallout that started after Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey posted a since-deleted tweet last week that showed support for anti-government protesters in Hong Kong. "Given the fluidity of the situation, today's media availability has been postponed," the league said. They were not rescheduled Wednesday, though having them on Thursday — game day in Shanghai — remains possible. Later Wednesday in Washington, a bipartisan group of lawmakers — including the rare alignment of Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas and Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York — sent a letter to Silver saying the NBA should show the "courage and integrity" to stand up to the Chinese government. They asked the NBA to, among other things, suspend activities in China until what they called the selective treatment against the Rockets ends. "You have more power to take a stand than most of the Chinese government's targets and should have the courage and integrity to use it," the lawmakers told Silver. The NBA did not have any immediate comment on the letter, and it was unclear if Silver had even seen the document. In Shanghai, the mood surrounding the game that — if played — will feature LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and other big NBA names was anything but festive. An NBA Cares event that was to benefit the Special Olympics was called off, as was a "fan night" celebration that was to be highlighted by the league announcing plans to refurbish some outdoor courts in that city. And workers in multiple spots around Shanghai were tearing down large outdoor promotional advertisements for Thursday's Lakers-Nets game. The teams are also supposed to play Saturday in Shenzhen. Chinese smartphone maker Vivo has joined the list of companies that have suspended ties with the NBA for now, only adding to the uncertainty surrounding the China games. Vivo was a presenting sponsor of the Lakers-Nets games, and on Wednesday there was no reference to the game in Shanghai on the list of upcoming events scheduled at Mercedes-Benz Arena. Other firms such as apparel company Li-Ning announced similar moves earlier this week, as the rift was just beginning. Silver said Tuesday in Tokyo that he supports Morey's right to free speech. Several Chinese companies have suspended their partnership with the NBA in recent days, and Chinese state broadcaster CCTV said it will not broadcast the Lakers-Nets games. "I'm sympathetic to our interests here and to our partners who are upset," Silver said. "I don't think it's inconsistent on one hand to be sympathetic to them and at the same time stand by our principles." All around China, stores that sell NBA merchandise were removing Rockets-related apparel from shelves and many murals featuring the Rockets — even ones with Yao Ming, the Chinese great who played for Houston during his NBA career — were being painted over. Effects were even felt in at least one NBA arena Tuesday night. In Philadelphia, where the 76ers were playing a Chinese team — the Guangzhou Loong Lions — two fans were removed by arena security for holding signs and chanting in support of Hong Kong. The signs read "Free Hong Kong" and "Free HK." The sentiment was not different from Morey's since-deleted tweet last week of an image that read, "Fight For Freedom. Stand With Hong Kong." The 76ers and Wells Fargo Center, the team's home arena, released statements Wednesday confirming that the fan removal took place and explaining why. "During the second quarter of last night's 76ers game, Wells Fargo Center security responded to a situation that was disrupting the live event experience for our guests," the arena's statement said. "After three separate warnings, the two individuals were escorted out of the arena without incident. The security team employed respectful and standard operating procedures." The NBA is not the first major corporation to deal with criticism from China over political differences. Mercedes-Benz, Delta Air Lines, hotel operator Marriott, fashion brand Zara and others also have found themselves in conflicts with China in recent years. After Morey's tweet was deleted, Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta said Morey does not speak for the organization. Joe Tsai, who recently completed his purchase of the Nets and is a co-founder of Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba, has said the damage to the NBA's relationship with China "will take a long time to repair." ___ Reynolds reported from Miami. AP Sports Writer Dan Gelston in Philadelphia and Associated Press writer Yanan Wang in Beijing contributed to this report......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 9th, 2019

China better market for Filipino workers than Middle East, party-list says

China is a more promising labor market for Filipino household workers, a party-list representing Filipino migrant workers said Sunday, adding demand for English-speaking nannies is rising in that country......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 9th, 2019

13.5 M grads joining work force

A staggering 13.5 million senior high school students who chose vocational courses as well as college graduates will be joining the country’s labor force this summer, a lawmaker whose party-list group has advocated education revealed yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 30th, 2019

Labor group affirms Philippines among top 10 dangerous place for workers

The Philippines is among the top ten worst countries for workers in 2020 based on the 2020 Global Rights Index issued by the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC)......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 21st, 2020

Labor group to Palace: Resolve issues with EU parliament

Following Malacañang’s provocation to the European Union’s Parliament to revoke tariff privileges given to Philippine products, a labor group on Saturday urged the government to properly resolve the mess without stirring the hornet’s nest to avoid further job losses to Filipinos. In a statement, workers group Associated Labor Unions-Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (ALU-TUCP) […] The post Labor group to Palace: Resolve issues with EU parliament appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsSep 19th, 2020

CHR supports Senate bill seeking regularization, hazard pay for media workers

"As a country that prides itself with having a free press, ensuring the protection and just compensation of media practitioners is essential in ensuring the protection of the freedom of expression and the right of individuals to access of information," CHR spokesperson Jacqueline de Guia said. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 18th, 2020

MWWA MALAPIT NANG PUMASA

PINAGPIPITAGANAN at pinasasalamatan natin kasama ang Presidential Communication Operaions Office at ang ating pinamumunuang Presidential Task Force on Media Security, ang Kongreso partikular na ang sub-committee on labor standard sa mabilis nitong pag-aapruba sa panukalang batas na House Bill 2476 o Media Workers’ Welfare Act ( MWWA) na siyang makapagbabago ng kalagayan nating lahat ng […] The post MWWA MALAPIT NANG PUMASA appeared first on REMATE ONLINE......»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated NewsSep 6th, 2020

OWWA may pautang sa OFWs na nawalan ng trabaho

Manila, Philippines – Maghahandog ng livelihood loans o pautang pangkabuhayan ang Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) para sa overseas Filipino workers na nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa pandemya, ayon kay administrator  Hans Leo Cacdac. Ayon kay Cacdac, inaprubahan na ng OWWA board na pinamumunuan ni Labor Chief Secretary Silvestre Bello ang group livelihood. ‘It’s a 500-M facility, […] The post OWWA may pautang sa OFWs na nawalan ng trabaho appeared first on REMATE ONLINE......»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated NewsAug 25th, 2020

Davao City councilor throws support for journalists’ welfare, safety amid COVID-19

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 12 Aug) – As an expression of support for media workers, Davao City’s First District Councilor Pamela A. Librado reiterated calls for press freedom and protection of journalists against human rights violations, attacks, and unfair labor practices, amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in the country. In her privilege speech delivered […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsAug 13th, 2020

Cardema back in youth body

Ronald Cardema, who was disqualified as a representative of the Duterte Youth party-list group, is back at the National Youth Commission as a commissioner......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 5th, 2020

COVID-19 cases in House of Representatives increase to 31

The House of Representatives now has 31 confirmed cases of COVID-19, up three cases from Saturday’s count of 28, Secretary-General Jose Luis Montales said on Sunday. Among the three new cases confirned by the House official was Deputy Speaker, Basilan lone district Rep. Mujiv Hataman. Hataman had actually revealed his condition over in his social media Saturday but it was only acknowledged Sunday afternoon by the House. Montales, in an advisory to reporters, disclosed about the other two cases:  “The first is from Human Resources Management Service. He reported for work on July 22 and 23. He got tested on July 31 after experiencing cough and colds, fever, and loss of smell and taste.” The secretary-general said the remaining positive case was from the Engineering Department. “He tested positive when he underwent rapid antibody test as part of SoNA (State of the Nation Address) screening protocol. His RT-PCR (Reverse Transcription-Polymerase Chain Reaction) test confirmed that he is positive for COVID-19.” Also known as a swab test, the RT-PCR test is said to be far more accurate than a rapid test. Montales said contact tracing on the two House employees is ongoing. It was also during this previous week that another Deputy Speaker, Surigao del Sur 2nd district Rep. Johnny Pimentel, tested positive for COVID-19. He also learned of his infection during the SoNA swab testing on July 26 at Batasang Pambansa Complex. Pimentel, spokesman of ruling party Partido Demokratiko Pilipino–Lakas ng Bayan, was initially included in the very short list of physical attendees for President Duterte’s SoNA last Monday. Like Hataman, Pimentel is currently on home quarantine. Three House employees have so far died from the disease......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 2nd, 2020

Militant labor group demands P10K cash aid for displaced workers

CEBU CITY, Philippines— Militant labor group Alyansa sa mga Mamumuo sa Sugbo-Kilusang Mayo Uno (AMA Sugbo-KMU) has launched a signature campaign on Tuesday, July 21, 2020, calling on the government to provide P10,000 unemployment assistance to distressed workers as part of its COVID-19 response. The group directed their call to the Department of Labor and […] The post Militant labor group demands P10K cash aid for displaced workers appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 21st, 2020

Solons vow safe haven for frontliners

In a bid to spur economic activities to preserve jobs and protect health-care workers, House Majority Leader and Leyte Rep. Martin Romualdez, Tingog party-list Rep. Yedda Marie Romualdez, and the Office of the Civil Defense have billeted at least 100 emergency medical front liners of the Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center at the Leyte Park Hotel and Resort......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJul 19th, 2020

UN launches campaign vs xenophobia for migrants

The increase in xenophobic language directed toward migrants, including overseas Filipino workers , has prompted a group of jurists, United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and the Office of the Resident Coordinator to launch a media campaign countering xenophobic rhetoric falsely blaming the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 on migrant workers......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 5th, 2020

OPM, PAMI, labor group appeal ABS-CBN& rsquo;s franchise renewal in Congress

The Organisasyon ng Pilipinong Mang-aawit (OPM), Professional Artists Managers, Inc. (PAMI) and labor center Sentro ng mga Nagkakaisa at Progresibong Manggagawa (Sentro) asked lawmakers to consider the livelihood of affected workers and grant the franchise renewal of ABS-CBN during the House panel hearing held on June 30. .....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJul 1st, 2020