Advertisements


Palace vows P13-billion aid to MM under lockdown

A total of P13.1 billion worth of cash assistance that will be distributed to about 10.7 million Metro Manila residents affected by the COVID-19 lockdown will be taken from the savings of all government agencies, Malacañang said Tuesday......»»

Category: newsSource: thestandard thestandardAug 3rd, 2021

PSC vows no job layoffs despite financial woes amid pandemic

While unemployment has risen to an alarming rate amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the Philippine Sports Commission assured its employees that there will no layoffs in the agency. Appearing on Tuesday’s online session of the Philippine Sportswriters Association (PSA) Forum, chairman William ‘Butch’ Ramirez said that despite a meager budget with nothing more to spare, the PSC will continue to carry out its day-to-day operations. Even under these very difficult times, the PSC puts priority on the welfare of its workers Ramirez stressed.   “Even before COVID, we have communicated with Malacanang that we will let go of some contractual employees,” said Ramirez, adding that it would have taken effect on Aug. 31. But the global pandemic made the PSC change its mind. “We in the PSC board made a collective decision that it will not happen. We will not remove anyone from the PSC unless there is cause. We are in very difficult times,” said Ramirez. The PSC has 250 regular employees and more than 250 contractuals. “Sa kahirapan ngayon, ano ang kakainin nila?” said Ramirez, currently staying with his wife at the athletes’ quarters at the PhilSports Complex (formerly ULTRA) in Pasig City. The agency months ago implemented belt-tightening measures, including a 50 percent ‘equity reduction’ on the allowances of the national athletes and coaches. But despite the financial difficulties, athletes and coaches continue to receive their allowances, and can expect to get their regular stipends once the situation improves or when the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) resumes its monthly remittances of close to P100 million to the PSC. Ramirez also added government sports agency is thinking beyond sports, and talked about “fortitude and sacrifice" during the Forum presented by San Miguel Corp., Go For Gold, Milo, PAGCOR, Amelie Hotel Manila, Braska Restaurant, and powered by Smart, with Upstream Media as official webcast partner. At the height of the lockdown, the national government channeled P1 billion of PSC money for COVID-19 purposes. The PSC has also allowed the use of its facilities like the Rizal Coliseum and Ninoy Aquino Stadium in the fight against the deadly virus. The PSC has also donated 350 beds and close to 500 laptops that were used during last year’s Southeast East Asian Games to various government offices during the pandemic. “The PSC is not only focused on sports now. We are adapting to the new environment,” said Ramirez......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 18th, 2020

PSC vows full support to Team PHI all the way to Tokyo Olympics

Aspiring and Olympic-bound athletes will continue to receive support from the Philippine Sports Commission despite the agency’s belt-tightening measures brought about by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The Philippines already has four qualifiers for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, which has been pushed back to next year, in pole vaulter Ernest John Obiena, male artistic gymnast Carlos Edriel Yulo, national boxers Eumir Felix Marcial and Irish Magno before the lockdown. The PSC board has assured that the agency will support them for as long as they can, explaining that the investment of both the government and the athletes into their Olympic dream cannot be set aside just that easily. This the PSC assures the athletes despite around P1.3 billion of its funds redirected back to the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) to fund the country’s COVID-19 fight. By virtue of Republic Act 11469 or the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act, P596 million, and P773 million were realigned by the DBM from the sports agency’s National Sports Development Fund and the fund from the General Appropriations Act (GAA), respectively. Even with this unexpected development, the PSC will keep true to its promise to support the Filipino athletes Olympic bid. In fact, PSC Chairman William Ramirez is hoping to send more athletes to represent the country in the prestigious multi-sport event. “We will not waiver in our quest to fulfill the country’s Olympic dream and we are very hopeful that more athletes will be able to qualify once the situation gets better,” shared Ramirez. The sports agency is banking its hopes on 2016 Rio Olympics silver medalist Hidilyn Diaz of weightlifting, four-time SEA Games champion Kiyomi Watanabe of judo, 2019 SEAG double-gold medal winner Margielyn Didal of skateboarding, multi-titled jin Pauline Lopez of taekwondo, and Junna Tsukii of karatedo among others. The budget cut has forced the sports agency to take belt-tightening measures in recent weeks, to be able to cover all commitments. “It’s a tough situation but we understand the priorities of the national government. We will do what we can to continue the support we give to our athletes especially those vying for an Olympic slot,” added Ramirez. Aside from financial support, the PSC also continues to provide online sports psychology consultations, virtual training sessions, nutrition, physiology, and conditioning webinars to athletes and coaches through PSC’s Medical Scientific Athletic Services (MSAS) and the Philippine Sports Institute (PSI)......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 18th, 2020

Gov t allocated P240.74 billion for COVID-19 response in 2022 — Palace

The Duterte administration has allocated more than P240 billion for COVID-19 response in next year's budget, of which P45 billion would be used to buy booster shots, Malacañang said Thursday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 19th, 2021

30% of ECQ aid in NCR disbursed – Palace

Almost 30 percent of the P11.2-billion ayuda or cash aid allotted by the national government for low-income individuals have been distributed to qualified beneficiaries in the National Capital Region, a few days before the two-week enhanced community quarantine is expected to be lifted......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 16th, 2021

Ayuda issues cleared; LGUs to distribute

Metro Manila mayors will start distributing the P10.894 billion cash assistance (ayuda) to qualified residents in 16 cities and one municipality that have been placed under hard lockdown until Aug. 20......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 11th, 2021

Camanava cities get P2 billion lockdown aid

The cities of Caloocan, Malabon, Navotas and Valenzuela have received an estimated P2.39 billion in cash aid to be given to residents affected by the enhanced community quarantine in Metro Manila......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 9th, 2021

NEDA revises projected lockdown losses to P150 billion a week

The Philippine economy will lose at least P150 billion per week as Metro Manila and other areas are placed under the strictest quarantine measure as the country grapples with the expected spread of the more transmissible COVID-19 Delta variant......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 7th, 2021

Supplemental budget an option if ECQ expands beyond NCR — Palace

The Duterte administration is considering asking Congress for a supplemental budget that will fund cash aid, or “ayuda”, if the hard lockdown this month expands beyond the National Capital Region......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 5th, 2021

DOLE fears job losses, seeks P2 billion aid

As many as 40,000 workers in Metro Manila could lose their jobs while more than 100,000 “no-work, no-pay” employees will lose income during the lockdown that begins Friday, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said Wednesday as his department sought an additional budget of P2 billion for a one-time cash assistance program......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsAug 4th, 2021

Another lockdown casualty

The enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), which will be in place again beginning Friday, is expected to take a heavy toll on daily wage earners and small businesses. Whatever gains there may have been in terms of economic recovery stand to be wiped out. Some estimates place the loss at over P200 billion during the two-week period......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsAug 3rd, 2021

Palace hopes COVID-19 cases slow down in September

Heightened restrictions, coupled with the two-week enhanced community quarantine in Metro Manila, can limit new COVID-19 cases to about 25,000 by end of September, far from the 525,000 forecast if no lockdown is done, Malacañang said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 3rd, 2021

NEDA: Hard lockdown to cost economy P210 billion

The economy will lose at least P210 billion, further dimming the country’s already dark path to recovery, as the capital returns to the strictest lockdown next week to prevent widespread transmission of the Delta variant and collapsing the health care system......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 31st, 2021

Lockdown in August to help buy time for vaccination, says Palace adviser

An early circuit-breaker lockdown, such as the one President Duterte just approved, will prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease among the unvaccinated......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 30th, 2021

Aid to be given to areas placed under ECQ — Palace

Malacañang on Wednesday vowed to provide aid to areas that were placed on lockdown last week because of rising COVID-19 infections......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 21st, 2021

The increasing struggle of Philippine education

The reality that we face today in the field of education is daunting. Last year, Save the Children organization warned us of an “unprecedented global education emergency,” where more than 1 billion children around the world are out of school due to the pandemic and almost 10 million children may never return to school following the COVID-19 lockdown......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 19th, 2021

Infrastructure spending doubles to P79 billion in May

The government more than doubled its infrastructure spending in May to nearly P79 billion as construction activities resumed with the lifting of lockdown measures in Luzon, particularly in Metro Manila......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 6th, 2021

Palace vows all-out investigation into sale of COVID-19 jabs

"Government will go all out in investigating who is behind this sale. Vaccines are not supposed to be sold and we won't allow vaccines to be stolen just because some people want to profit from them," the Malacañang spokesperson said......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 5th, 2021

No special session to extend Bayanihan 2 – Palace

Malacañang sees no need for a special Congress session to extend the validity of Bayanihan to Recover as One Act (Bayanihan 2), which expires today, because the remaining P9-billion fund will likely be obligated for the government’s ongoing campaign against COVID-19......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 30th, 2021

Government readies P9 billion fund for fresh cash dole outs

The government plans to use the nearly P9 billion borrowed funds from Japan to bankroll its remaining obligations in responding to the financial difficulties brought about by the recent revert to lockdown......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 23rd, 2021

Palace confirms P18.4 billion Bayanihan 2 funds unobligated

Malacañang yesterday confirmed that more than P18 billion under the Bayanihan to Recover as One Act or Bayanihan 2 remains unobligated but it is unsure whether President Duterte would call for a special session to extend the fund’s validity......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 22nd, 2021