Advertisements


Palace thanks Robredo for praising Duterte s UN speech, dismisses China propaganda concerns

"We thank her for the praise, but we leave it to the president on how to proceed, henceforth, because the president is the chief architect of foreign policy," presidential spokesman Harry Roque said......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarSep 28th, 2020

Roque to Congress: Consult Palace on increasing budget for vaccines

Any congressional move to raise the proposed 2021 budget for the coronavirus vaccine should at least be done in consultation with the Executive branch, according to a Palace official.  Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque (RESIDENTIAL PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN) Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said while they respect Congress’ wisdom to hike the vaccine budget for the next year, the issue on its funding source must also be addressed. “The power of purse is vested in Congress. We will bow to the wisdom of Congress should they deem it fit to increase the budget for the vaccine, and of course, may pagkukuhanan po iyan (there will be a funding source for that),” he said during a Palace press briefing Thursday. “So we hope that Congress will at least confer with the Executive kung saan nila kukunin iyong pondo para itaas ang budget for the vaccine (on where the funds will be obtained to raise the budget for the vaccine),” he added. Nonetheless, Roque affirmed the administration’s resolve to ensure the country has adequate funds for the vaccine procurement once the life-saving drug becomes available.“We join Congress in our desire that we should have sufficient funds to pay for the vaccine, which according po to (Philippine) Ambassador (to China) Chito (Sta. Romana) is really forthcoming in the near future,” he said.The House of Representatives has reportedly introduced several amendments to its approved 2021 national budget, including a higher budget for the purchase of COVID vaccines to P8 billion.  In the original Palace-backed P4.5 trillion national budget proposal, at least P2.5 billion has been allocated for the COVID-19 vaccination program under the Department of Health’s budget. House Majority Leader Martin Romualdez, who leads a small group in charge of amendments to the budget bill, said the additional P5.5 billion to augment the vaccine budget aims to ensure safe and effective vaccine will be available to Filipinos. “This is to support President Rodrigo Duterte’s program to strengthen the country’s health care system. We believe that vaccines play a very crucial role in keeping the population safe and healthy from the pandemic,” the Leyte lawmaker said.  On the part of the Senate, Senator Panfilo Lacson disclosed plans to increase funding for the coronavirus vaccine under the proposed 2021 national budget. Last week, the President said the government has the funds to buy the coronavirus vaccine once it is available but would need more money to vaccinate all Filipinos. Duterte earlier vowed to give priority to the poor, the police and military personnel in the distribution of free vaccines.  He said the country will buy the most affordable vaccine to be sold in the market given the government’s limited resources. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 22nd, 2020

No conditions in China’s move to prioritize PH as vaccine recipient — Sta. Romana

China has not imposed any condition when it included the Philippines as among the priority nations to gain access to its potential coronavirus vaccine, according to a Filipino diplomat. Amb. Jose Santiago Sta. Romana Philippine Ambassador to China Jose Santiago Sta. Romana said China instead reminded the country to prepare its cold storage facilities amid the highly anticipated breakthrough in vaccine development. China will hopefully announce its mass production of the coronavirus vaccine before the end of the year or early next year, Sta. Romana said during an online Palace press briefing. “Hopefully, mass production and distribution will happen in the near future, as early as November and December in terms of production. And it will depend on our capability to receive the vaccines in terms of our facilities, in terms of distribution,” he said.  “The prospects are bright in terms of a breakthrough in vaccine,” he added. Sta. Romana made clear that the cold storage facilities for the potential COVID-19 vaccines are not conditions set by China but simply a reminder to ensure effective distribution of the vaccine.  “It’s just a reminder that if you get the vaccine and you don’t have cold chain storage, then it’s useless so you have to prepare,” he said, citing information from Chinese drug companies.  He said even if the Philippines is in the “priority list,” the distribution of the vaccine will be a challenge. He said the vaccines must be stored in “freezing conditions” to keep its efficacy.  “If exposed to tropical weather or to normal weather conditions, the vaccine could lose its effectiveness,” he said.So far, Sta. Romana said the vaccines being developed by Chinese pharmaceutical firms have entered phase 3 of the clinical trials. One of the potential vaccines have been approved for emergency use for health workers and other government frontliners. “The Chinese will make an announcement in the near future and then they’ll start their mass production. And once there is the mass production, then I think there will be distribution. Hopefully, before the end of the year; but surely by the first quarter of next year,” he said.  Asked if China has imposed any condition on the Philippines in exchange for the vaccine supply, Sta. Romana said: “No, not at all. Actually, we’re the ones, our condition is that it should pass our local requirements.” When asked if Beijing has pledged the amount of vaccines and if these will be given to Manila for free, Sta. Romana said the matter would entail more discussion. “I cannot give you a definitive answer right now but definitely in terms of number, you know, how they will do it kasi it depends on the—they’re talking of hundreds of millions in terms of production dito sa China. So, the question is iyong distribution and deployment,” he said. “They’re preparing their manufacturing facilities for the mass production of vaccines the moment approval is announced,” he added. Budget Secretary Wendel Avisado has assured that the government has funds that will be needed for the establishment of the cold storage facilities for the coronavirus vaccines. “Surely, as the sun rises in the east, there will be funds for that because the President will never allow that we will run short of the requirements to make sure that we have the storage facilities for all of these vaccines,” he said in the same online press conference. Last week, President Duterte expressed confidence about the safety of the vaccines being developed by China, citing the Asian neighbor is a modern country. He said the government has funds for the vaccine purchase, adding he was just waiting for China or Russia to contact him. “I’d be glad to open up my sleeves because I am confident with their vaccine,” he added......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 22nd, 2020

Duterte’s public address moved to Wednesday

President Rodrigo Duterte’s weekly address to the nation has been moved to 14 October, the Palace announced Monday. Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque told reporters that the President would not be able to record his speech since the Cabinet meeting this afternoon has a “very long agenda.” Duterte called for a full Cabinet meeting to discuss economic […] The post Duterte’s public address moved to Wednesday appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsOct 12th, 2020

Duterte s UN speech opens more discussions with South China Sea stakeholders

President Rodrigo Duterte's speech before the United Nations General Assembly has opened more discussions with all stakeholders of the South China Sea row, an official said Wednesday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 30th, 2020

‘Duterte UN speech opens more discussions on sea row’

President Duterte’s speech before the United Nations General Assembly has opened more discussions with all parties in the South China Sea row, an official said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 30th, 2020

Palace raps Facebook censorship

President Rodrigo Duterte's administration claimed Tuesday that Facebook was imposing censorship in the Philippines after the social media giant took down several propaganda networks in support of Duterte and his allies......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 29th, 2020

Worldwide vaccine distribution is forthcoming

President Duterte’s very first speech at the United Nations General Assembly last Tuesday has caught global attention, with many lauding it for being direct to the point and cohesive, tackling many issues that include the COVID-19 pandemic and the South China Sea......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 27th, 2020

China denies SCS ruling anew

China has underlined its non-recognition of the 2016 international arbitral ruling favoring the Philippines and nullifying Beijing’s nine-dash line claim over nearly all of the South China Sea, only days after President Rodrigo Duterte described this in a speech before the United Nations General Assembly as a legal victory......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 27th, 2020

President affirms long-held position on South China Sea

  PRESIDENT Duterte, in a speech broadcast at the 75th session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York City on September 27, affirmed the country’s commitments to the Charter of the UN, to the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, and to the Arbitral Award of July 12, 2016. His statement affirming the Arbitral Award was immediately welcomed by critics […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsSep 25th, 2020

Ex-DFA chief hits back at Palace man

Former Foreign Affairs secretary Albert del Rosario on Friday urged President Rodrigo Duterte to seek the support of other countries to pressure China into complying with the 2016 ruling of a UN tribunal that invalidated Beijing’s excessive claims in the South China Sea in favor of the Philippines......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 25th, 2020

Duterte: PH rejects attempts to ‘undermine’ arbitral ruling on South China Sea

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte reiterated the Philippines’ commitment to resolve the disputes in the South China Sea in accordance with the international law and the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). In his speech during the high-level general debate at the 75th session of the United Nations General Assembly aired early Wednesday, […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsSep 23rd, 2020

Palace: Philippines can set aside South China Sea issues for infra, trade

Despite concerns about the involvement of Chinese firms in vital projects, Malacañang said that national interest requires that flagship infrastructure projects be completed......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 2nd, 2020

Duterte says vaccines from friends China, Russia not for free

In a speech late Monday, Duterte thanked Beijing and Moscow for expressing their willingness to provide the country vaccines that could potentially put an end to the health crisis......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 18th, 2020

‘Duterte continues to respect press freedom’

The Duterte administration continues to respect the freedom of speech and freedom of the press, according to a Palace official, adding that no libel cases have been filed by the President against his critics......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 9th, 2020

'SONA2020 | Netizens dismayed at Duterte’s lack of concrete plan on COVID-19 crisis

Many netizens said that they only wasted almost two hours of their time listening to Duterte’s speech which they described as nothing but an attack on his critics and defense of China. The post #SONA2020 | Netizens dismayed at Duterte’s lack of concrete plan on COVID-19 crisis appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsJul 28th, 2020

Palace: Not true Rody& rsquo;s Jolo speech edited

Malacañang on Wednesday denied it edited the speech of President Rodrigo Duterte during his visit to Jolo, Sulu, on Monday, skipping some lines in criticizing the ABS-CBN franchise......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJul 15th, 2020

Palace: PH values freedom of speech but won’t tolerate misinformation

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte’s administration is upholding the freedom of speech and expression of every Filipino, but will not tolerate the spread of misinformation, especially amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) crisis, a Palace official said. “This government values every Filipino’s freedom of speech and expression, knowing that they are truly vital toward a free flow […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJun 6th, 2020

Bayan Muna: Limitado na ba ang freedom of speech sa papuri sa China, Duterte?

Dismayado si Bayan Muna Party-list Rep. Ferdinand Gaite sa paninikil ng gobyerno sa malayang pamamahayag......»»

Category: newsSource:  abanteRelated NewsApr 28th, 2020

Palace won’t tolerate ‘intrusion’ in COVID fight

Groups helping frontliners in the fight against the coronavirus disease 2019 should not experience “mindless government intrusion,” Malacañang said, after President Duterte fired an official who wanted Vice President Leni Robredo probed for launching her own relief drive......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 5th, 2020

Palace: ‘Bayanihan’ not a meaningless appeal

Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo on Saturday said that President Rodrigo Duterte has displayed his intolerance to abusive, arrogant and incompetent government officials following his sacking of Presidential Anti-Crime Commission (PACC) commissioner Atty. Manuelito Luna. Luna, to recall, asked the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to probe Vice President Leni Robredo for her alleged solicitation of […] The post Palace: ‘Bayanihan’ not a meaningless appeal appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsApr 4th, 2020