Advertisements


MLB players begin reporting for tests as first workouts near

By DAVE SKRETTA AP Sports Writer Yoán Moncada has spent the past couple of months working out in what he called a “controlled and limited environment” in Florida, where the White Sox slugger could continue to get at-bats while protecting himself from the coronavirus. That's a good description of the environment that greeted him upon his return to Chicago. Players began reporting to their teams and home ballparks Wednesday in the most significant step yet as Major League Baseball presses ahead with its plan for a 60-game sprint of a season. Most players underwent a battery of health checks, not only for COVID-19 but also for any other lingering ailments from spring training, ahead of planned workouts beginning Friday and Saturday. “We were doing workouts by time, you know? You have to reserve a time. I wasn't interacting with a lot of people there,” Moncada said of his sessions in Florida. “The last couple of weeks I started lifting a little bit. I was hitting with limitations that we had during this situation. But I feel good. I'm ready to go.” Much like other clubs, the White Sox intend to split their 60-man roster into two groups, one working out in the morning and the other in the afternoon. All players will have their temperatures checked multiple times each day, observe increased social distancing and get accustomed to stringent safeguards that MLB has put into place for the season. “That's going to be different to see and feel as a team,” Moncada said. “We'll have to wait and see Friday how it goes.” The Yankees won't hold their first full-team workout until Saturday, even though manager Aaron Boone said players began intake testing Wednesday. That's when he plans to address the team for the first time — also in waves. “We’ll have to get creative with how we communicate,” said Boone, who plans to make the same speech three or four times. Faced with the prospect of playing 60 games in 66 days, time-consuming safety protocols, the responsibility to remain diligent health-wise off the field and the general anxiety of working amid a pandemic, Boone believes focus and toughness can be as important to a team this season as baserunning or bullpen management. “How do you deal with that mentally and emotionally?” Boone asked. “How you’re able to separate that out when you take the field each and every night? There’s an advantage to be had there." After gauging workloads for pitchers during the shutdown, Boone expects his starters will be ready to face live hitters on the first day of summer camp. He plans to stay flexible on usage and may consider using a six-man rotation or openers, but nothing has been determined yet as all teams adjust to a new norm. “An injury can wipe out a season in a hurry,” Boone said, adding that he’s likely to be cautious with players early after New York placed a major league record 30 players on the injured list a total of 39 times last season. Orioles general manager Mike Elias said there had been no positive tests for COVID-19 among players and staff who were examined Wednesday, but he acknowledged that “it's going to be an ongoing process.” Elias has thus far named only 44 players of the 60 available to participate in the preseason workout. He will decide later which prospects will fill out the preseason roster in advance of a projected season-opener July 23 or July 24. And despite rising numbers of COVID-19 across the country, and a few players opting out, most players and executives have been bullish on the season taking place. They believe in protocols hammered out during lengthy negotiations between MLB and its players' association and are eager to provide fans with some much-needed diversion. “We’ve got to make sure we understand best practices in social distancing, make sure we know we are keeping ourselves not only apart from one another but also behaving in a way that’s consistent to what’s going to keep us all healthy," Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said. “Provided we can all work together to comply with these protocols and respect — as I said earlier —- respect each other and respect the rules, I’m optimistic that we can make this happen.” ___ AP Sports Writers David Ginsburg, Jake Seiner and Mike Fitzpatrick contributed to this report......»»

Category: sportsSource: abscbn abscbnJul 2nd, 2020

PBA targets September to start scrimmages

PBA teams are all set to finally begin training following their COVID-19 swab tests last week. Up first will be teams doing workouts by batches under the prescribed health protocols. If things go well, the PBA should be able to conduct scrimmages by September, a huge step on their way to a true restart. "Sana payagan din tayo, pero lahat na yan siguro depende kung nasaan na tayo dito sa virus," Commissioner Willie Marcial said. "Kung tumataas pa rin ang mga kaso nandyan pa rin posibilidad na tumaas ulit ang quarantine level. Pero kung steady lang ang number o mas maganda bumaba, malamang payagan tayo. Sana," he added. After Metro Manila returned to a more relaxed community quarantine level last week, the PBA wasted little time in having its teams undergo swab tests. The league has implemented a "no test, no practice" policy and with favorable results, players can finally hit the court in this upcoming week. It will be a welcome development after the PBA encountered delays brought about by upgraded quarantine protocols back in early August. "Okay na rin, kasi na-refine natin, nagdagdag ng ibang protocols," Marcial said. "Nag-wo-workout naman ang mga yan [players] sa bahay pero hinabaan natin ang workouts para kapag nagkaroon na ng scrimmages mababa posibilidad ng injuries," he added as the PBA gears up for team practices.   — Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 23rd, 2020

So far, so good in PBA training

PBA deputy commissioner Eric Castro is closely monitoring the restart of training in limited batches of four players each with no contact in the gym and gave his thumps up yesterday in reporting smooth sailing since teams were allowed to conduct individual workouts last week......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 7th, 2020

NBA teams out of bubble can begin workouts

New York—The National Basketball Association and the National Basketball Players Association announced today that they have finalized an agreement on a program for each of the eight NBA teams that did not participate in the resumption of the 2019-20 season to engage in voluntary group workouts at their team facilities while residing in a campus-like environment under controlled conditions.  .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsAug 19th, 2020

Fanged GAB to go after health protocol violators

The Games and Amusements Board will have more teeth in going after violators of strict health protocols among pro sports. GAB chairman Abraham ‘Baham’ Mitra in his appearance in the Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum online session on Tuesday stressed that with the presence of an official Joint Administrative Order (JAO) the agency has the right to sanction any teams or players found guilty of breaching safety protocols in their respective leagues. “Since meron nang JAO and sa amin na ibinigay 'yung load, kami na ang mag-i-impose ng sanctions,” said the 50-year-old Mitra of the provision of the JAO signed by his office together with the Department of Health and Philippine Sports Commission (PSC). The sanctions of course, will always be done in coordination with top officials of the pro leagues that were already given the green light to resume workouts as in the case of basketball, football, and boxing under a General Community Quarantine (ECQ) status. “In case something happens and there may be violations, we will be there,” said Mitra. The National Capital Region (NCR) and other nearby provinces reverted back under a Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) on August 4 owing to the major surge of COVID-19 cases, prompting a delay in the resumption of team workouts among professional players. The GAB chairman also didn’t mince words against repeated violators, adding it has the right to cancel licenses of erring players or ball clubs. “Kung talagang paulit-ulit ay puwede sigurong suspendihin at eventually, kung talagang matigas ang ulo, tanggalan ng professional license. We can do that dahil meron na ring JAO,” Mitra said in the weekly forum presented by San Miguel Corp., Go For Gold, MILO, Amelie Hotel Manila, Braska Restaurant, Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR), and powered by Smart, with Upstream Media as the official webcast partner. Mitra commended both the PBA and PFL for policing their ranks and doing their job of having everybody on board in terms of understanding and abiding by the strict health guidelines as provided under JAO. He added the cooperation of every players and teams are needed for the plan to work out especially once teams begin their respective trainings. “So far yung mga leagues naman sila na mismo (ang kumikilos). Nau-unahan parati ang GAB, kasi kami we want to hear both sides, we want due process.  And we’re doing several things. Unlike ang PBA, nakatutok lang sa PBA, ang PFL nakatutok lang sa PFL,” said the son of the late House Speaker Ramon Mitra Jr. In the case of the Blackwater franchise, the GAB chairman said the team was only given stern warning by his office since the violations committed were done when JAO was yet in effect. Besides, the PBA already penalized the ballclub for P100,000. “The PBA already sanctioned them and GAB doesn’t want to really step on institutions. We always believe in self-regulation. Nandiyan lang kami kung kailangan ninyo kami,” said Mitra, a former member of the House of Representatives and Palawan governor. At the same time, he clarified that guidelines under JAO can be amended and revised from time to time, to adopt to the current situation of the country under the COVID-19 pandemic......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 4th, 2020

Baseball players get a peek at playing without fans

Baseball players got a sense of what the game will be like without fans in the stands upon returning for workouts last week. They’re getting a more realistic glimpse this week as teams begin holding scrimmages. Yes, it’s very strange. “It was surreal. … just sitting behind the dish at a major league stadium with […] The post Baseball players get a peek at playing without fans appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 10th, 2020

PBA return a difficult process says Chairman Vargas

It'll be a little over a month before the PBA Board's crucial August meeting to determine the fate of the league's 45th season amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Despite the rising numbers in positive cases in the country, Chairman Ricky Vargas remains hopeful that the PBA can finish out at least its 2020 Philippine Cup later this year. "We are still positive and our players are also very hopeful that we can start," Vargas said during the most recent forum by the Philippine Sportswriters Association. "Kasi alam din naman nila na we are protecting their health interest," Vargas added of the players. Early in June, the PBA started dialogue with the IATF as the league seeks clearance to have players already do some light workouts per small batches. It doesn't appear that the IATF has given the PBA a proper response, but according to government protocols, the lowest quarantine level allows for sporting events and the like to push through but only at 50 percent venue capacity. "Closest we can get is if we got to [MGCQ]. Kapag [MGCQ], sinasabi nila you may go back to practicing," Vargas said. "Also, the more positive note is yung statement ng GAB [Games and Amusements Board] is they're also working for professional sports to begin," he added. Nevertheless, the PBA returning this year will not be an easy process. The decision will involve many concerned parties, not just the league and the IATF. "Marami. GAB, IATF, DOH, LGU, at tsaka yung owner ng coliseum. Medyo mahirap din ang proseso. Plus, the protocol that we have to agree on," Vargas said.   — Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 30th, 2020

Terrafirma, TNT cagers to undergo strict COVID-19 tests

The four Talk ‘N Text players feared to have been positive of COVID-19, as well as the entire TNT and Terrafirma teams, are set to undergo second confirmatory tests today in an effort by the PBA to ensure the safety of everyone in the league......»»

Category: sportsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJul 21st, 2021

Salaries of PBA players, coaches, officials to restored soon

By JONAS TERRADO The PBA will restore the salaries of players, coaches and staff in full on May 18 when teams are expected to begin holding 5-on-5 scrimmages in areas under General Community Quarantine. PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial made that assurance even as he asked for the cooperation of the teams in order for the […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsMay 11th, 2021

Cage stars sad to see game disrespected

Forced to do individual workouts at home by the pandemic, PBA players could only watch in envy participants in the ongoing VisMin Super Cup Visayas leg in Cebu......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 16th, 2021

Too early to talk about PBA players in Gilas roster for Olympics qualifiers

With the 46th season of the PBA expected to begin by April, the OQT will run smack into the professional players' schedule, which makes it complicated to assure PBA players' commitment to the national team......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 6th, 2021

No delay to Aussie Open despite 4th Covid-19 case

Melbourne---Australian Open chief Craig Tiley insisted Sunday the Grand Slam would begin as scheduled next month, while admitting it was “not a great situation” for the 47 players who have been confined to their hotel rooms......»»

Category: sportsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 18th, 2021

Opinion: Should the NBA bring back the bubble ?

From players sidelined due to positive tests and contact tracing, to a wave of game postponements due to health protocols, the NBA is far from escaping the spectre of COVID-19......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 13th, 2021

NBA tightens Covid protocols as game postponements mount

The NBA and its players union updated Covid-19 health and safety protocols on Tuesday as positive tests and game postponements mounted......»»

Category: sportsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 13th, 2021

Uncertainty confounds varsity players

With no clear signal from CHED as to when actual individual workouts may resume, more and more eligible varsity players are considering to declare for the PBA draft on March 14......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 5th, 2021

Virus halts City-Everton clash

LONDON, United Kingdom (AFP) — Manchester City’s Premier League visit to Everton on Monday was postponed after multiple new positive tests for coronavirus were detected among Pep Guardiola’s squad. City already announced on Christmas Day there had been four positive tests at the club for players Kyle Walker and Gabriel Jesus and two staff members. […] The post Virus halts City-Everton clash appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsDec 30th, 2020

Rockets game postponed as Covid bites NBA on second day of season

LOS ANGELES, United States — Covid-19 precautions forced the first postponement of the NBA season on just the second day of action Wednesday as the Houston Rockets’ home game against Oklahoma City was called off. The league said three Rockets players had returned coronavirus tests that were either positive or inconclusive. Four other Rockets players had […] The post Rockets game postponed as Covid bites NBA on second day of season appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsDec 24th, 2020

48 NBA players test positive for Covid-19

Los Angeles, United States—The NBA announced Wednesday (Thursday Philippine time) that 48 players have tested positive for the coronavirus, a dramatic increase over the zero positive tests reported during last season’s quarantine bubble in Florida......»»

Category: sportsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 3rd, 2020

NBA says 48 players test positive for Covid-19

Los Angeles, United States—The NBA announced Wednesday, December 2, 2020, that 48 players have tested positive for the coronavirus, a dramatic increase over the zero positive tests reported during last season’s quarantine bubble in Florida. The league said the positive tests are the result of 546 tests carried out between November 24-30 as the NBA […] The post NBA says 48 players test positive for Covid-19 appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 3rd, 2020

Warriors, Wizards have players with COVID-19

Washington---Two players for the Golden State Warriors and another for the Washington Wizards have tested positive for Covid-19, the NBA clubs announced Tuesday as individual 2020-21 pre-season workouts began......»»

Category: sportsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 3rd, 2020

Warriors, Wizards have players with Covid-19 as NBA camps open

Two players for the Golden State Warriors and another for the Washington Wizards have tested positive for Covid-19, the NBA clubs announced Tuesday as individual 2020-21 pre-season workouts began......»»

Category: sportsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 2nd, 2020