Advertisements


LSI is Batanes’ first COVID case

After remaining virus-free for more than seven months, the province of Batanes has recorded its first confirmed COVID-19 case on Monday, 28 September. The patient is a locally stranded individual who arrived in Batanes on 22 September via a Philippine Air Force flight. The 29-year-old patient is asymptomatic and is currently under strict isolation at […] The post LSI is Batanes’ first COVID case appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource: tribune tribuneSep 29th, 2020

Batanes reports second case of COVID-19

Just two days after Batanes reported its first case of COVID-19 since the onset of the pandemic, the province logged a second coronavirus infection on Thursday. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 1st, 2020

Batanes: Enhanced measures until October 13

A day after recording its first coronavirus disease 2019 case, the Batanes provincial government implemented enhanced quarantine measures to contain the spread of COVID-19......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 30th, 2020

Batanes records 1st COVID-19 case

No province in the country has been spared from the coronavirus disease 2019. Batanes, which had been COVID-free since March, recorded its first case yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 29th, 2020

All provinces now hit by COVID-19 — DoH

All provinces in the country now each have a recorded case of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Department of Health (DoH) reported Tuesday. This came following the recent announcement of the local government of Batanes that it has listed its first case of the disease since the pandemic hit — a 29-year-old resident said to […] The post All provinces now hit by COVID-19 — DoH appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsSep 29th, 2020

COVID-19 now in all Philippine provinces after Batanes logs first case

This, after the northernmost province of Batanes reported Tuesday its first confirmed COVID-19 case......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 29th, 2020

Batanes confirms first COVID-19 case

Batanes confirms first COVID-19 case.....»»

Category: newsSource:  cnnphilippinesRelated NewsSep 29th, 2020

LSI is Batanes’ first COVID case

After remaining virus-free for more than seven months, the province of Batanes has recorded its first confirmed COVID-19 case on Monday, 28 September. The patient is a locally stranded individual who arrived in Batanes on 22 September via a Philippine Air Force flight. The 29-year-old patient is asymptomatic and is currently under strict isolation at […] The post LSI is Batanes’ first COVID case appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsSep 29th, 2020

Batanes reports 1st COVID-19 case

This came nearly eight months since a COVID-19 case was first detected in the country......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 29th, 2020

PH COVID-19 cases climb to over 360,000

  BY ANALOU DE VERA     The coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases in the Philippine soared to over 360,000 after the Department of Health (DoH) detected 1,640 new cases. The country’s caseload is now at 360,775, of which 43,443 are considered active cases, the DoH said in its case update on Monday. It was reported […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated News4 hr. 24 min. ago

Mayor Isko: Avoid religious processions in the meantime

Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso on Monday asked Catholics to avoid holding religious processions in the city while the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is still a threat. A devotee himself, Domagoso said he is “saddened” that the Filipino tradition will be set aside because of the pandemic, however, “we need understanding.” “For the meantime, nakikisuyo po ako, wala pong mga para-parada, wala pong prusi-prusisyon, dahil mahirap pigilan ang tao. At ang tao naman mapapahamak, malalagay sa alanganin (For the meantime, I’m asking you not to hold processions because it’s hard to control the people. And they might be at risk),” he said in an interview with reporters. Domagoso hinted there might be no Traslacion or the traditional procession of the Black Nazarene in January if “this situation will remain the same.” “Pero halimbawa… maganda, medyo kayang i-tolerate yung numbers of infection or talagang halos kontrolado na natin yung infection, baka mag-isip kami ng bago (In case the situation improves or the number of infection is already under control, we might change our minds),” he added. Domagoso said, there is a need to issue restrictions on religious processions as he fears a  rise in COVID-19 cases in the country. “Everybody is going to Quiapo… para magsampalataya (for their faith). So in the hundreds thousands of people merging, I just give you conservative number, just one na maimpeksyon, na magdikit dikit, pawis, laway, so baka maulit tayo (only one infected devotee who will join the gathering, with all the sweat, saliva droplets and we might end up with huge cases again),” he cautioned......»»

Category: lifestyleSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 19th, 2020

Rice farmers seek bigger financial aid

The one-time financial assistance that the Senate directed the Department of Agriculture (DA) to provide to rice farmers amid the declining prices of palay would not be enough, a group of rice farmers said. (MB file, Keith Bacongco) Federation of Free Farmers (FFF) National Manager Raul Montemayor said rice farmers have lost an average of P10,000 per hectare in the ongoing cropping season due to severely depressed palay prices.   This was his response to the joint resolution recently passed by the Senate Committees on Agriculture and Agrarian Reform, which ordered the DA to appropriate some P3 billion in tariffs from rice imports through the 2021 national budget for cash aid to rice farmers. Under the Rice Tariffication Law (RTL), which allowed unlimited rice importation in the Philippines, tariff collections in excess of P10 billion per year can be used for additional support to farmers, including cash transfers. FFF, however, noted that the proposed appropriation would only provide P5,000 per farmer if distributed to some 600,000 farmers tilling one hectare or less.   If the actual number of qualified farmers is raised to 1.1 million, the subsidy would only amount to about P2,700 per farmer. Either proposal will be unfair to equally affected rice farmers tilling larger areas, the farmers’ group said.   Instead, Montemayor said the government could keep palay prices stable by temporarily imposing safeguard duties or additional tariffs on imported rice. “The government allowed unlimited rice imports, resulting in low palay prices.  Now, it will spend P3 billion to partially offset farmers’ losses. If it had instead imposed additional duties on imports, palay prices would not have dropped too much, there would have been no need for cash aid to farmers, and the government might have even earned extra revenues from the safeguard duties,” said Montemayor. Under the Section 10 of RTL or Republic Act (RA) 11203, in order to protect the Philippine rice industry from sudden or extreme price fluctuations, a special safeguard duty on rice shall be imposed in accordance with Safeguard Measures Act.   R.A. 8800 or the Safeguard Measures Act, on the other hand, allows additional safeguard duties on top of regular tariffs in case an import surge is shown to be harmful to local farmers.   “Safeguard duties will not be inflationary as claimed by the DA, because they will be applied only when there is already a proven oversupply in the market.  They can be removed once the situation stabilizes,” said Montemayor. Agriculture Secretary William Dar is not keen on slapping additional tariff on rice imports, and has repeatedly appealed for public understanding about the “short-term” effects of RTL to palay prices. However, he promised to look for other solutions to the plea of the farmers like asking the National Food Authority (NFA), which buys palay at P19 per kilogram (/kg) to boost the government’s buffer stock, to intensify its palay procurement.   Instead of cash aid, the FFF proposed that existing funds from the Rice Competitiveness Enhancement Fund (RCEF) and extra tariff collections be re-focused to address current problems of farmers.   It noted that half of farmers receiving free seeds under the RCEF had already been using certified seeds in the past, and that many were seeking other types of support that were not available under RCEF.   Numerous farmers have also questioned the DA’s promotion of seed varieties like NSIC Rc222, which is of poor quality and are being shunned by traders. “Also, the P5 billion annual fund for mechanization is not moving well, and it might be more practical at this time to preserve job opportunities for farm laborers instead of displacing them with machines,” Montemayor said.   “Moreover, the P1 billion budget for extension and training could be realigned, considering that farmers cannot attend training activities due to COVID-related restrictions. The P1 billion for credit could be better used for interest rate subsidies or loan guarantee programs, instead of direct loans which will benefit only 20,000 farmers,” he added......»»

Category: lifestyleSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 19th, 2020

Number of active cases in Talisay City remains at 12 as of October 14 

CEBU CITY, Philippines—Talisay City recorded two new cases of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and two recoveries on October 14, 2020.  In a late night post on October 15, 2020, the Talisay City Public Information Office (PIO) revealed that the cases were recorded in Barangays Lawaan I and Linao.  The case in Barangay Lawaan I […] The post Number of active cases in Talisay City remains at 12 as of October 14  appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 16th, 2020

APOR from Sibonga is Siquijor’s 7th COVID patient

CEBU CITY, Philippines – An authorized person outside of residence (APOR) from Sibonga town in southern Cebu is Siquijor’s seventh patient confirmed to have the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The Provincial Government of Siquijor, in an advisory posted on Thursday evening, October 16,2020, announced that they logged one new confirmed case of COVID-19. The patient, […] The post APOR from Sibonga is Siquijor’s 7th COVID patient appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 16th, 2020

DFA says 1 more country in Africa reported Filipino COVID-19 case

Foreign affairs officials on Thursday said there are now 81 countries abroad with Filipino coronavirus patients, after another country in Africa reported a case to push the total count to 11,141. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 15th, 2020

Sacrifices needed to avert COVID-19 case surge, says DOH

MANILA, Philippines — With Europe seeing a rapid spike in new coronavirus cases partly due to “pandemic fatigue,” the Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday advised the public to accept that “little sacrifices” have to be made to avoid a surge in infections. Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said the DOH understood the fatigue everyone […] The post Sacrifices needed to avert COVID-19 case surge, says DOH appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 15th, 2020

Central Visayas logs 103 new cases, recovery rate hits 89%

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Central Visayas has logged 103 new cases of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Wednesday, October 14, 2020, a day after the active cases in the region dipped to below 1,000. In the October 14 case bulletin issued by the health department here, DOH-7 said the 103 new cases include 55 from […] The post Central Visayas logs 103 new cases, recovery rate hits 89% appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 15th, 2020

No new COVID-19 case recorded in Talisay City on Oct. 13

TALISAY CITY, Cebu—There were no new cases of COVID-19 logged in Talisay City on Tuesday, October 13, 2020.  In the latest bulletin posted on the city’s Public Information Office (PIO) Facebook page, the number of active cases dropped to 12 after recording three recoveries.  The recoveries have reached 869 for a recovery rate of 89 […] The post No new COVID-19 case recorded in Talisay City on Oct. 13 appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 15th, 2020

1,910 new COVID cases reported, bringing PH total to 346,539

  By ANALOU DE VERA The Department of Health reported 1,910 new COVID-19 cases Wednesday, raising the country’s cumulative tally of infections to 346,539. The country has recorded less than 2,000 daily confirmed cases for the second straight day. The nationwide case count is now at 346,539, of which 46, 227 are active cases. The […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsOct 14th, 2020

Calabarzon records highest COVID-19 case in a day — DOH

The DOH–Calabarzon on Wednesday recorded the highest number of positive COVID-19 individuals in the region with 1,175 cases.  .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 14th, 2020

Number of active COVID-19 cases in Talisay City drops to 15

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The number of active Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases in Talisay City has dropped to 15 as the city recorded only one additional case on October 11, 2020. The new case is a 20-year-old female from Barangay San Isidro who was swabbed last October 10, 2020 in compliance with travel protocols. […] The post Number of active COVID-19 cases in Talisay City drops to 15 appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 13th, 2020