Advertisements


Inayawan village chief to city gov’t: If state of emergency is declared, be transparent

  CEBU CITY, Philippines — The village chief of Barangay Inayawan in Cebu City is asking for transparency should the city government declare a state of emergency in his barangay because of the garbage situation in the transfer station. Inayawan Captain Kirk Bryan Repollo said that he has long asked for help from the city […] The post Inayawan village chief to city gov’t: If state of emergency is declared, be transparent appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerJun 26th, 2021

Barangay Looc declares state of emergency due to massive fire

MANDAUE CITY, Philippines — Barangay Looc in Mandaue City has declared a state of emergency after it was hit by a massive fire on Tuesday, November 22. Looc Barangay Captain Allan Siazon, on Thursday, November 24, said that emergency funds will be used to purchase goods and equipment that the fire victims would need especially […] The post Barangay Looc declares state of emergency due to massive fire appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 24th, 2022

Tumulak sees no need placing Inayawan in state of calamity, barangay to help waste pickers

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City Councilor David Tumulak, the City Council’s committee chairperson for disaster risk reduction and management, does not see any reason to place Barangay Inayawan in a state of calamity or emergency. Tumulak said on July 8, 2021, that the situation in the Inayawan Transfer Station is under control with the […] The post Tumulak sees no need placing Inayawan in state of calamity, barangay to help waste pickers appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 8th, 2021

Rama mulls declaring state of emergency or calamity in Barangay Inayawan

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City Acting Mayor Michael Rama is mulling to place Barangay Inayawan under a state of emergency or calamity for the prompt solution of the problems at the White Road and the transfer station. Rama said in a press conference on Saturday, June 26, 2021, that they are in a series […] The post Rama mulls declaring state of emergency or calamity in Barangay Inayawan appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 26th, 2021

Myanmar& rsquo;s woes

The world awakened on Monday with troubling news from Myanmar: Its military had taken control, and had declared a state of emergency for one year. The military chief has been installed in power. The ruling party’s leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, had been detained......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 3rd, 2021

Inayawan gets cited for uncollected garbage after village chief sues Labella

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Inayawan Barangay Captain Kirk Bryan Repollo was cited for violation of Republic Act 9003 or the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000, days after he filed administrative charges against Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella and Department of Public Services head, Lawyer John Jigo Dacua, for the uncollected garbage in his […] The post Inayawan gets cited for uncollected garbage after village chief sues Labella appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 13th, 2021

‘Cheap shot move,’ Labella slams village chief over garbage issue

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella has slammed Inayawan Barangay Captain Kirk Bryan Repollo for filing charges against the city government for the uncollected garbage in their barangay. The mayor and Department of Public Services (DPS) head, Lawyer John Jigo Dacua, have been sued for gross negligence of duty in connection with […] The post ‘Cheap shot move,’ Labella slams village chief over garbage issue appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 8th, 2021

Inayawan village chief files charges against Cebu City officials for uncollected garbage

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Inayawan Barangay Captain Kirk Bryan Repollo has filed charges of gross neglect of duty against Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella and Department of Public Services (DPS) head, Lawyer John Jigo Dacua,  for failing to collect the garbage in his barangay since mid-December 2020. Repollo said in his affidavit that the barangay […] The post Inayawan village chief files charges against Cebu City officials for uncollected garbage appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 7th, 2021

Police secures CCTV footage of Inayawan shooting

CEBU CITY, Philippines – Police have started to secure recordings from security cameras that were mounted close to the area where former Inayawan tanod (village watchmen) Jimmy Tabura was killed on Saturday, January 2. Police Major Jose Angelo Acupinpin, chief of Pardo Police Station, said they are using the closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage to identify […] The post Police secures CCTV footage of Inayawan shooting appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 3rd, 2021

Cavite declares state of calamity

TRECE MARTIRES CITY, Cavite Nov. 3 (PIA) - In a special emergency session held at 1:30pm of Nov 1, the Sangguniang Panlalawigan declared a State of Calamity in the entire province in response to th.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsNov 3rd, 2020

Pagasa: Fair weather in Metro Cebu starting Thursday

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Metro Cebu will already be having fair weather starting on Thursday, Dec. 29, and this is expected to continue until Saturday, Dec. 31. This is according to the five-day extended weather forecast issued by the state weather bureau, Pagasa, on Tuesday, Dec. 27. Engr. Al Quiblat, the Pagasa-Mactan chief, said in […] The post Pagasa: Fair weather in Metro Cebu starting Thursday appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 27th, 2022

State of calamity declared in Ilagan

Ilagan City in Isabela has been placed under a state of calamity due to the damage caused by Severe Tropical Storm Paeng......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 2nd, 2022

South Korea’s Halloween crowd surge: What we know

SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea is investigating the exact cause of a deadly crowd surge that killed 154 people at a Halloween event, as public outrage grows over perceived policing and crowd control failures. A man offers a flower at a joint memorial altar for victims of the deadly Halloween crowd surge, in Naksopyeong, near the district of Itaewon in Seoul on October 31, 2022. ANTHONY WALLACE / AFP What went wrong and why did so many people die at the first post-pandemic Halloween party in Seoul’s popular Itaewon nightlife district? Here is what we know: What’s going on? The government promised a “thorough and transparent investigation” into the exact causes of the deadly crush in Itaewon, and police said Monday they had launched a task force and started the probe. They’ve deployed forensic experts, seized footage from 50 security cameras in the area, and interviewed scores of witnesses, victims, and workers at nearby stores, according to a senior police officer. How did it happen? Typically, a gathering of over 1,000 people has to submit “safety management plans” to the government in advance for review by police and fire departments. But in the case of the Itaewon Halloween festivities, there is no designated event organiser — individual bars, clubs and restaurants simply hold their own events and people flock to the area. Just weeks before, a “Global Village Festival” was safely staged in the exact same streets — but it was an organised event sponsored by local authorities. As a result, it had “effective crowd control with many police officers and district office staff in charge”, said Kim Min-kyu, who runs a currency exchange shop near the site of the accident and saw both events. Police have admitted to lapses in their real-time management of the event. “Police officers on the scene didn’t detect a sudden surge in the crowd,” Hong Ki-hyun, chief of the National Police Agency’s Public Order Management Bureau, told local reporters. Why was it so bad? Experts say the crowd crush could have been prevented with proper preparation, But they admit things have gotten more difficult after years of pandemic-related lockdowns. “Everywhere in the world event organisers are struggling with the post-Covid crowd,” said Eric Kant, a crowd safety specialist who runs the Phase01 Crowd Management. “A lot of visitors are new with partying, they are indeed very excited, and maybe do not understand risks very much,” he added. Key risk factors for crowd surges are “unrestricted entry” of people into a small space, and “no ticket sales” which means organisers have no exact estimate of demand, experts say — all of which happened at Itaewon. “This is a recipe for disaster in mass gatherings,” crowd safety expert Milad Haghani of the University of New South Wales told AFP. Even for the Halloween event — a public gathering with no tickets — authorities could have been actively managing the situation to prevent overcrowding. “On the day, this would mean monitoring the numbers, at the very least,” said John Drury, an expert on crowd psychology at the University of Sussex. “It would also mean a public information campaign beforehand to discourage such large numbers attending.” He warned that psychology studies show people actually seek out “objectively dangerous levels of density” at events, and organisers need to be aware of this risk. Who is to blame? So far, no one has been held accountable, even as public anger flares at the government and police for their apparent lack of oversight. Top-ranking officials have brushed off questions about taking responsibility, saying the priority is currently on helping the victims and dealing with the aftermath of the accident. Much local criticism has focused on the police — but experts say they are not necessarily at fault. “We should remember that the primary role of the police is generally not crowd management,” said Martyn Amos, a professor at Northumbria University who works on crowd simulation. “It’s possible to manage an event largely using stewards, with the police there to ensure public order and to deal with criminal activity,” he told AFP. What happens next? The government is under immense pressure to resolve this quickly — and properly. The opposition Democratic Party has already slammed the government’s handling of the event, and will likely push for resignations once the national mourning period ends on November 5. The Itaewon crush could deal another blow to President Yoon Suk-yeol’s popularity ratings — already at record lows. There is also a possibility that the disaster, if mishandled, could become a major political liability for the government. In 2014 then president Park Geun-hye was in power during the sinking of the Sewol ferry in which 304 people — mostly school children — died. She was widely criticised for her handling of the incident. The issue lingered over her presidency until she was impeached three years later over a corruption scandal......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 31st, 2022

Tropical storm Paeng leaves 48 dead, thousands flooded

Provinces in the south were hit the hardest while a “state of calamity” has been declared in the city of Cotabato where some 67,000 residents have been affected by the storm. The post Tropical storm Paeng leaves 48 dead, thousands flooded appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsOct 30th, 2022

Teachers, principals undergo virtual seminar on monkeypox

CEBU CITY, Philippines — To educate teachers and school personnel on the basic facts and practical tips against monkeypox, the Cebu City Emergency Operations Center (EOC) has initiated an online awareness seminar on Friday, Sept. 2, 2022. Joel Garganera, Cebu City Councilor and Cebu City EOC deputy chief implementer, said more than 70 teachers and […] The post Teachers, principals undergo virtual seminar on monkeypox appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsSep 6th, 2022

ISIS member, 2 others arrested in Lanao Sur

ZAMBOANGA CITY - Authorities have arrested three suspects, including an alleged member of the Islamic State for Iraq and Syria (ISIS), and seized various war materiel during an operation in Lanao del Sur province, a police official said Tuesday.Col. Richard Verceles, operations chief of the.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsAug 16th, 2022

PROCOR chief orders emergency response within 5 minutes

BAGUIO CITY - The newly installed chief of the Police Regional Office-Cordillera (PROCOR) has ordered his personnel to answer all emergency calls within five minutes.Brig. Gen. Mafelino Bazar, who took over Brig. Gen. Ronald Oliver Lee on Saturday, said a quick response will mean a big diffe.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsAug 14th, 2022

Tabuk City, Kalinga magdedeklara ng state of calamity sa dengue

MANILA, Philippines – Ikinokonsidera ng lokal na pamahalaan ng Tabuk City, Kalinga ay ang pagdedeklara ng state of calamity dahil sa “exponential rise in dengue cases.” Sa isang emergency meeting, sinabi ng City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (CDRRMC) na pinamumunuan ni Mayor Darwin Estrañero na hihilingin niya sa Sangguniang Panlungsod na magsagawa ng special […] The post Tabuk City, Kalinga magdedeklara ng state of calamity sa dengue appeared first on REMATE ONLINE......»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated NewsAug 4th, 2022

Davao City sets up health response unit vs. monkeypox

DAVAO CITY-The City Health Office (CHO) has created the Emerging and Reemerging Infectious Diseases Unit (ERID), which will be leading the emergency health response efforts in the event of a monkeypox outbreak in the area.In a radio interview Monday, CHO chief Dr. Ashley Lopez said with its.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJul 25th, 2022

WHO declares monkeypox a global health emergency

GENEVA - The World Health Organization (WHO) on Saturday declared monkeypox a global health emergency, its highest alert level for a disease.WHO chief Tedros Ghebreyesus said the decision has been made despite an advisory body's failure to agree on the designation.With nine members of.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJul 24th, 2022

CIDG-9 nabs Sulu village chair for murder

ZAMBOANGA CITY - After almost two years in hiding, a lady village chairperson was arrested by operatives of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group-Zamboanga Peninsula (CiDG-9) during an operation in Sulu province, an official said Tuesday.Col. John Francis Encinareal, CIDG-9 chief,.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJul 12th, 2022