Advertisements


Impact of holiday surge in cases seen this week

Impact of holiday surge in cases seen this week.....»»

Category: newsSource: cnnphilippines cnnphilippinesJan 12th, 2021

Economic recovery takes ‘one step back’

The Philippine economic recovery is taking a step back to curb the surging coronavirus outbreak and fix the fragile health system waging a “losing battle” against the pandemic. Finance Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III said yesterday that the return of Metro Manila and nearly provinces to a stricter lockdown may take a toll on the drivers of economic rebound in the near-term. But Dominguez said that if the reimposed stricter modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) is correctly implemented, it will have a favorable impact on the nation’s long-term economic prospects. “In the short run, the return to MECQ may negatively affect livelihoods, consumer demand and production. However, if the time is used to boost all our medical resources and prevent further spread of the virus, then the MECQ will be positive for the long haul,” Dominguez said. As this is a new virus, Dominguez explained that nations, including the Philippines, continuously learn to adapt to the challenges posed by the new and uncertain environment induced by coronavirus. “The whole world is learning how to dance with this virus: two steps forward and one step back,” Dominguez said.Earlier, the DOF chief pushed for a shift of Metro Manila and Calabarzon—accounting for about 70 percent of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP)—“as quickly as possible” to the most lenient quarantine status to kickstart the economy. However, President Duterte ordered Metro Manila, Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal back under the MECQ from August 4 to 18 following a surge of COVID-19 cases and the appeal of healthcare workers. The two week shift to MECQ for Metro Manila and its adjacent provinces starting today ceased some businesses and public transport, while work and quarantine passes are also reinforced to restrict non-essential movements. Reverting to MECQ is an unwelcome develop for the economic managers as it could derail hopes for a recovery in the third quarter of the year. Acting Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Karl Kendrick T. Chua earlier said the economic impact of the quarantine measures in country was “more severe than expected.”  Days before Metro Maila reverted to MECQ, Dominguez said the local economy had already hit bottom and started to recover from the coronavirus-induced crisis, noting business activities have begun to pick up. The government had gradually eased the tough virus lockdown measures after the economy shrank by 0.2 percent in the first quarter......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 3rd, 2020

Davao suspends free swab tests for arriving plane passengers

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 14 January) – Free swab tests for arriving passengers at the Davao International Airport have been suspended since Wednesday, as the city is redirecting resources to address the post-holiday surge of COVID-19 cases, City Tourism Operations Office head Generose Tecson said on Thursday. Tecson, concurrent head of the Airport Health Monitoring […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated News25 min. ago

Davao City cancels feast of Sto. Niño masses at Shrine Hills

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 13 Jan) – The celebration of the feast of Sto. Niño on January 15 at the Shrine of the Holy Infant Jesus of Prague at the Shrine Hills in Matina will no longer push through as Davao City has been seeing record-hitting coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases due to the post-holiday surge. […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated News25 min. ago

Davao City to send specimens to RITM to check for new COVID-19 strain

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 13 Jan) – The City Government of Davao will submit specimens to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) in Metro Manila to perform a genomic analysis to determine the presence of the new variant of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) here, amid the spike in new cases attributed to the post-holiday surge. […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated News25 min. ago

Slight rise of COVID-19 cases noted in Lapu-Lapu City

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines – The Lapu-Lapu City Government could not attribute yet the slight rise of cases of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the city to the recent Christmas and New Year celebrations. Earlier, the Department of Health (DOH) was already expecting a post-holiday surge of COVID-19 cases, due to the movement of people, […] The post Slight rise of COVID-19 cases noted in Lapu-Lapu City appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 5th, 2021

Philippines logs 766 new COVID-19 cases as total hits 470,650

The Philippines, which has Southeast Asia’s second worst outbreak, is bracing for a surge in COVID-19 cases after the Christmas holiday festivities......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 28th, 2020

Grand disarray

The Philippines last week became the lone country in the world to mandate the use of face shields, supposedly to help temper the dreaded surge in COVID-19 cases after the Christmas and New Year holidays, when friends and families typically gather to celebrate the season. The wearing of “full coverage” face shields together with face […] The post Grand disarray appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 24th, 2020

Market likely to trade in narrow range this week

Trading at the Philippine Stock Exchange is expected to move in a narrow range during the shortened trading week on concerns over the possible increase in COVID-19 cases in the country this holiday season......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsDec 21st, 2020

Active cases in Cebu City drop to 87, but rise in cases feared

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City greeted the penultimate week of 2020 with less than 100 active cases of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). While this is a welcoming development, local officials here, however, feared the possibility of another surge of new cases following crowd gathering observed outside churches for the Misa de Gallo (dawn […] The post Active cases in Cebu City drop to 87, but rise in cases feared appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 20th, 2020

Christmas in the time of COVID-19

It’s a week before Christmas but it is a very different holiday season that we are having. The COVID-19 pandemic is still very much around and the Philippines has breached the 450,000 cases mark. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 19th, 2020

DOH warns of virus surge

COVID-19 cases are shooting up in several areas, including Metro Manila, as people indulge in unsafe holiday activities, the Department of Health (DOH) said Thursday......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsDec 17th, 2020

January 2021 resumption of face-to-face classes too early –Cortes

MANDAUE CITY, Philippines – The Mandaue City government believes January next year is too early to resume face-to-face classes. Mayor Jonas Cortes said that January is too early and is not safe for children especially with the anticipated surge of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases after the Holiday season. “It’s too early para nako, ang […] The post January 2021 resumption of face-to-face classes too early –Cortes appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 16th, 2020

PGH, Lung Center brace for post-holiday surge in COVID cases

The Philippine General Hospital and the Lung Center of the Philippines—both designated as COVID-19 referral centers in the capital region—said they have prepared in advance for the possible spike in COVID-19 cases after seeing a decrease in the number of admitted patients in the past months. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 14th, 2020

‘Lockdown possible in case of post-holiday COVID-19 surge’

The Department of Health warned citizens that the government could be forced to reimpose a strict lockdown after the Christmas season if cases of the coronavirus overwhelm the country’s healthcare system......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 3rd, 2020

America should prepare for & lsquo;surge upon surge& rsquo; of virus

America should prepare for a “surge upon a surge” in coronavirus cases as millions of travelers return home after the Thanksgiving holiday, top US scientist Anthony Fauci warned Sunday......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsNov 30th, 2020

COVID-19 dampens holiday cheer for small Black businesses

Los Angeles---It’s been a rough year for Black-owned small businesses in the United States, and the latest surge in coronavirus cases suggests a festive season without much celebration......»»

Category: financeSource:  thestandardRelated NewsNov 28th, 2020

DOH fears post-holiday COVID-19 surge

The Department of Health is bracing for a possible surge in COVID-19 cases after the Christmas season, prompting DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III to issue a circular discouraging traditional holiday festivities to avoid the transmission of the virus......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 24th, 2020

Pagtaas ng kaso ng COVID-19 dahil sa Kapaskuhan pinaghahandaan–DOH

Sinabi ng Department of Health (DOH) na naghahanda na ang gobyerno ng contingency plan sakaling tumaas ang kaso ng coronavirus disease (COVID-19) ngayong Kapaskuhan. “Bubuo ang DOH ng contingency plan upang handa po tayo kung sakaling magkaroon tayo ng tinatawag natin post-holiday season surge in the number of cases,” sabi ni Health Secretary Francisco Duque […] The post Pagtaas ng kaso ng COVID-19 dahil sa Kapaskuhan pinaghahandaan–DOH appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsNov 24th, 2020

Philippines on lookout for post-holiday surge in COVID-19 cases

Government is bracing for a possible surge in coronavirus infections as the holiday season approaches, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said late Monday night. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 23rd, 2020

Davao City docs call for 2-week lockdown as COVID-19 cases surge

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 15 November) – Davao City must be placed under a two-week lockdown immediately as the healthcare system here  “is overwhelmed” with coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases, a Davao City-based medical practitioner said. Cardiologist Dr. Bernard Chiew, chair of the Philippine College of Physicians (PCP) national committee on external affairs and President of […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsNov 20th, 2020