Advertisements


How a reenacted budget can cripple COVID response

MANILA, Philippines — A reenacted budget in 2021 will exact a “huge” toll on the economy and the government’s coronavirus response to the tune of P1.23 trillion in forgone infrastructure spending and P67 billion in unfunded programs to manage the pandemic, according to economist and Marikina Rep. Stella Luz Quimbo. This could be the grim […] The post How a reenacted budget can cripple COVID response appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerOct 11th, 2020

On reenacted budget: Pia fumes over Bong Go’s line of questioning

As the bickering continues over the issue of the House speakership, Senator Pia Cayetano has fumed over the discussion of the possible reenacted budget’s effects on the Department of Health’s COVID-19 response. During the Senate finance subcommittee’s hearing on the P203.74-billion proposed DOH budget for 2021, which Cayetano chairs, Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go asked […] The post On reenacted budget: Pia fumes over Bong Go’s line of questioning appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsOct 9th, 2020

Group demands accounting of Cebu City COVID-19 funds

CEBU CITY, Philippines—A coalition is demanding transparency and accountability for the budget allocated for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic response here.  The Freedom Debt Coalition composed of various cause-oriented groups in the city said there is a need to show the public a transparent liquidation of the P3.5 billion funds for the pandemic response since […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  balitaRelated NewsDec 23rd, 2020

City dad questions P2.5 million proposed travel expenses of Labella

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City Councilor Alvin Dizon has questioned the P2.5 million proposed travel expenses for Mayor Edgardo Labella saying the amount can be used to augment the city’s COVID-19 response. The budget is part of the P10.8 billion proposed annual budget for 2021. Dizon said in the budget hearing on December 3, […] The post City dad questions P2.5 million proposed travel expenses of Labella appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 3rd, 2020

State agencies’ Q4 cash requirements released

The Department of Budget and Management has released the cash requirements of state agencies for the last quarter to fund their operations and COVID-19 response efforts......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 19th, 2020

DBM Covid-19 fund releases reaches P481 billion

State funds provided to various government agencies for their coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic response programs have so far reached P481.61 billion, data from the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) showed on Monday. Of the amount released as of November 11, the bulk, or P217.41 billion, went to the Department of Social Welfare and […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsNov 17th, 2020

P46 billion COVID-19 response budget submitted for Duterte approval

Requests for the release of P46 billion for various projects aimed at cushioning the impact of the raging pandemic have been submitted to President Duterte’s office for approval, the budget department said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 22nd, 2020

Rice farmers seek bigger financial aid

The one-time financial assistance that the Senate directed the Department of Agriculture (DA) to provide to rice farmers amid the declining prices of palay would not be enough, a group of rice farmers said. (MB file, Keith Bacongco) Federation of Free Farmers (FFF) National Manager Raul Montemayor said rice farmers have lost an average of P10,000 per hectare in the ongoing cropping season due to severely depressed palay prices.   This was his response to the joint resolution recently passed by the Senate Committees on Agriculture and Agrarian Reform, which ordered the DA to appropriate some P3 billion in tariffs from rice imports through the 2021 national budget for cash aid to rice farmers. Under the Rice Tariffication Law (RTL), which allowed unlimited rice importation in the Philippines, tariff collections in excess of P10 billion per year can be used for additional support to farmers, including cash transfers. FFF, however, noted that the proposed appropriation would only provide P5,000 per farmer if distributed to some 600,000 farmers tilling one hectare or less.   If the actual number of qualified farmers is raised to 1.1 million, the subsidy would only amount to about P2,700 per farmer. Either proposal will be unfair to equally affected rice farmers tilling larger areas, the farmers’ group said.   Instead, Montemayor said the government could keep palay prices stable by temporarily imposing safeguard duties or additional tariffs on imported rice. “The government allowed unlimited rice imports, resulting in low palay prices.  Now, it will spend P3 billion to partially offset farmers’ losses. If it had instead imposed additional duties on imports, palay prices would not have dropped too much, there would have been no need for cash aid to farmers, and the government might have even earned extra revenues from the safeguard duties,” said Montemayor. Under the Section 10 of RTL or Republic Act (RA) 11203, in order to protect the Philippine rice industry from sudden or extreme price fluctuations, a special safeguard duty on rice shall be imposed in accordance with Safeguard Measures Act.   R.A. 8800 or the Safeguard Measures Act, on the other hand, allows additional safeguard duties on top of regular tariffs in case an import surge is shown to be harmful to local farmers.   “Safeguard duties will not be inflationary as claimed by the DA, because they will be applied only when there is already a proven oversupply in the market.  They can be removed once the situation stabilizes,” said Montemayor. Agriculture Secretary William Dar is not keen on slapping additional tariff on rice imports, and has repeatedly appealed for public understanding about the “short-term” effects of RTL to palay prices. However, he promised to look for other solutions to the plea of the farmers like asking the National Food Authority (NFA), which buys palay at P19 per kilogram (/kg) to boost the government’s buffer stock, to intensify its palay procurement.   Instead of cash aid, the FFF proposed that existing funds from the Rice Competitiveness Enhancement Fund (RCEF) and extra tariff collections be re-focused to address current problems of farmers.   It noted that half of farmers receiving free seeds under the RCEF had already been using certified seeds in the past, and that many were seeking other types of support that were not available under RCEF.   Numerous farmers have also questioned the DA’s promotion of seed varieties like NSIC Rc222, which is of poor quality and are being shunned by traders. “Also, the P5 billion annual fund for mechanization is not moving well, and it might be more practical at this time to preserve job opportunities for farm laborers instead of displacing them with machines,” Montemayor said.   “Moreover, the P1 billion budget for extension and training could be realigned, considering that farmers cannot attend training activities due to COVID-related restrictions. The P1 billion for credit could be better used for interest rate subsidies or loan guarantee programs, instead of direct loans which will benefit only 20,000 farmers,” he added......»»

Category: lifestyleSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 19th, 2020

Reenacted budget in 2021 seen to hit pandemic response in virus-hit Philippines

The country's health chief on Friday gave a grim warning that the government's coronavirus response would be the victim of a reenacted budget in 2021 due to the ongoing political impasse in Congress. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 9th, 2020

‘Government can’t afford to have reenacted budget’

The government cannot afford to have a reenacted budget for next year as this year’s outlay was bereft of funds for COVID-19 recovery measures, particularly for the procurement of vaccines, testing equipment and additional personal protective equipment for frontliners, Sen. Bong Go said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 8th, 2020

DBM generates P2 billion savings from COVID-19 procurement

The Procurement Service of the Department of Budget and Management said it generated around P2 billion in savings for the procurement of COVID-19 response items for the Department of Health from March 26 to Aug. 5......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 25th, 2020

Congress promises PSC funding for Tokyo Olympics

Lawmakers promised to heed the Philippine Sports Commission’s call for financial support for the Tokyo Olympics next year. Congressmen who are members of the Committee on Youth and Sports Development gave a positive response when the government’s sports arm lobbied for Tokyo 2021 budget in the House of Representatives.   "Rest assured that we will do our part to get the funding for this Olympics. All hands are in. Dapat lahat tayo dito. This is the best chance we have," said committee head Rep. Eric Martinez. He added that they would discuss the matter with the Department of Budget and Management and schedule it the soonest time possible because the athletes "need that budget for the Olympics." PSC Chairman William 'Butch' Ramirez during the regular committee meeting on Wednesday bared the sports agency's need for its slashed funds to continue supporting the training and competitions of Tokyo Olympic Games qualifiers and hopefuls vying for slots.   "We were one of those government offices who also contributed to the Bayanihan Act. The DBM deducted from us. Para sa amin malaking bagay 'yun kasi kasama doon 'yung Olympic budget namin. Hanggang ngayon po bakante 'yan. It's an opportunity for us to ask, we need your help," expressed Ramirez. After presenting the Olympic budget request of more than P182 Million for Tokyo-bound athletes and hopefuls made by Chef de Mission (CDM) Mariano Araneta to the PSC, the sports agency chief highlighted the push Congress can give to the country's Olympic dream.     "Rep. Bambol Tolentino has initially supported ‘yung P180 million na allowances ng atleta which was approved by the bicam, and to be approved by the President. Thank you sa lahat ng congressman na sumuporta. Pero 'yung Olympic budget namin, we are hoping again for your support," said Ramirez. The PSC chief informed the body that "the Philippine Sports Commission is operating on the savings coming from PAGCOR (Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation)" and that "when we talk about the elite athletes of the national team, the budget being used is the NSDF (National Sports Development Fund)” prompting PSC to lessen grassroots sports program related to local government units. "Dito kami naka-focus sa elite athletes. We still have some budget just enough for us to reach December," admitted Ramirez in his response to Committee Vice-Chair Jericho Nograles' inquiry on the PSC's funds. To aid in the government’s effort to address the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, P596 million from the National Sports Development Fund and another P773 million from the General Appropriations Act by the DBM was slashed from the PSC’s budget. Gymnast Caloy Yulo, pole vaulter EJ Obiena and boxers Irish Magno and Eumir Marcial already qualified for the Summer Games. Eighty-two more hopefuls are training to earn spots in the Tokyo Olympics.   .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 27th, 2020

COVID-19 releases hit P376 billion — DBM

The government has released P376.57 billion in funds to key agencies for their coronavirus disease response efforts, the Department of Budget and Management reported yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 20th, 2020

SAP exaggerated, millions left behind

  The inadequacy of the Social Amelioration Program (SAP) underscores the government’s failure to address the plight of the most vulnerable Filipinos in the time of COVID-19. Related story: With P606B budget for COVID-19 response, aid largely unfelt By XANDRA LIZA C. BISENIO Ibon Foundation It has been over 130 days since the start of… The post SAP exaggerated, millions left behind appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsJul 29th, 2020

With P606B budget for COVID-19 response, aid largely unfelt

“The government have the funds but why not utilize it for aid? They have the machinery but the process has been slow. They (government) prioritized the Anti-Terror Law and term extension than the people’s stomach.” By ANNE MARXE D. UMIL Bulatlat.com MANILA – In almost five months, Filipinos have been confronting not only the deadly… The post With P606B budget for COVID-19 response, aid largely unfelt appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsJul 27th, 2020

Capitol gets P1.2B supplemental budget for COVID response, recovery

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Cebu Provincial Board has passed a P1.2-billion supplemental budget intended for the Capitol’s response and recovery projects from the effects of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the subsequent lockdown that resulted to economic downturns globally in the first half of 2020. The PB, in its regular online session on Monday, […] The post Capitol gets P1.2B supplemental budget for COVID response, recovery appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 6th, 2020

DBM: P355 billion spent so far for COVID-19 response

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine government has so far spent P355 billion for its response to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) said Wednesday. “Sa kabuuan, as of today, ang nagagastos na po ng national government para sa COVID-19 response ay umabot na ng P355,677,151,125,” DBM Secretary Wendel Avisado […] The post DBM: P355 billion spent so far for COVID-19 response appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 24th, 2020

DOH, DBM asked: Where did the money go?

The Office of the Ombudsman is issuing subpoenas to Health Secretary Francisco Duque III and Budget Secretary Wendel Avisado for documents detailing where funds for the COVID-19 response went......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJun 20th, 2020

Ombudsman summons documents on COVID

The Office of the Ombudsman has ordered the Departments of Health and of Budget and Management to submit documents related to the budget for its response to the coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19 pandemic......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 19th, 2020

Ombudsman to subpoena records from DOH, DBM to find out where COVID-19 funds went

Ombudsman Samuel Marites on Friday said that his office will issue subpoenas to the Department of Budget and Management and the Department of Health to investigate where the budget for the country's COVID-19 response went......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 19th, 2020

Cebu governor says no projects will be sacrificed for COVID-19 response

CEBU CITY, Philippines —  Despite unplanned expenses for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) response, Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia assures the public that the Capitol has enough funds to pursue its planned projects for 2020. Garcia assured that none of the programs, particularly the infrastructure projects, that were allocated for in the province’s P12 billion budget for […] The post Cebu governor says no projects will be sacrificed for COVID-19 response appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 16th, 2020