Advertisements


House urged to probe into death of ‘quarantine violator’ after being forced to exercise

Lawmakers from the leftist party-list Bayan Muna are urging the human rights panel of the House of Representatives to investigate the death of an alleged quarantine violator after being forced to do 300 body pumps by police......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarApr 8th, 2021

Solons seek probe on curfew violator’s death

Bayan Muna party-list lawmakers are pushing for an investigation into the death of Darren Peñaredondo, who allegedly died days after being forced to do 300 body pumps after being accosted by police for allegedly violating the curfew. Representatives Carlos Zarate, Ferdinand Gaite and Eufemia Cullamat filed House Resolution no. 1697 last Wednesday, but the copy […] The post Solons seek probe on curfew violator’s death appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsApr 8th, 2021

DILG orders probe on ‘push-up’ death

The Department of the Interior and Local Government yesterday ordered a probe into the death of a curfew violator in General Trias City, Cavite who was allegedly forced by police to do 300 squats as punishment for breaking quarantine protocols last week......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 6th, 2021

General Trias police chief, 2 others sacked

The police chief of General Trias in Cavite and two of his men have been relieved from their posts over the death of a curfew violator who was allegedly forced to do 300 squats as punishment......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 7th, 2021

Gen. Trias police chief loses post over death of quarantine violator

"He'll be in the provincial office based in Imus for now," Usana told Philstar.com in a phone call. "The two cops are now placed under the direct supervision and control of the provincial director.".....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 7th, 2021

House urged to condemn, probe into presence of Chinese vessels in West Philippine Sea

The Makabayan bloc is urging the House of Representatives to condemn and investigate the presence of 220 Chinese vessels in Julian Felipe (Whitsun) Reef in the West Philippine Sea......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 25th, 2021

House urged to probe into police ‘profiling’ of lawyers of alleged communist rebels

Eight opposition lawmakers are urging the House of Representatives to investigate the Philippine National Police’s supposed profiling of lawyers of alleged communist rebels, which they said presents a “clear and present danger” to the legal profession......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 16th, 2021

House probe sought into death of another infant separated from jailed mom

Members of the progressive Makabayan bloc in the House of Representatives are calling on the chamber’s human rights panel to conduct an investigation into the death of another infant separated from her jailed mother......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 24th, 2021

House told to hasten probe on power firms

A party-list organization belonging to the Makabayan Bloc in the House of Representatives and a consumer advocacy group on Monday urged the House Committee on Energy to expedite its investigation on the alleged over-recovery of power distributors......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsNov 30th, 2020

House set to launch probe on Ulysses floods

“As the death toll continues to rise, and the extent of damage is slowly being revealed, there is an urgent need to examine the actions that were taken during, before and after the onslaught of Typhoon Ulysses,” Velasco said......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 16th, 2020

Bayanihan 2 implementation questioned at SC

Former Government Corporate Counsel Philip Jurado urged the Supreme Court to stop President Rodrigo Duterte’s exercise of emergency powers under the Bayanihan 2 law, which he claims expired when Congress’ regular session adjourned in the middle of House Speakership row......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 29th, 2020

Zubiri, Pangilinan urged to probe illegal, forced Chinese labor in PH

The Pinoy Aksyon for Governance and the Environment (Pinoy Aksyon) has sounded alarm bells over reports of "illegal and forced" Chinese labor in the country, especially in construction projects......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsOct 5th, 2020

Plant ito na lang : Filipinos urged to grow vegetables instead of buying wild plants

The ongoing community quarantine in the Philippines—one of the longest and strictest in the world—boosted the demand for house plants as Filipinos find ways to develop hobbies and de-stress while the coronavirus pandemic continues to rage on......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 21st, 2020

Grand jury to probe death of black man hooded by NY police

New York’s attorney general announced Saturday she would form a grand jury to probe the death of a black man whom police had hooded and forced face-down on a road. Daniel Prude’s family said he died on March 30 after being removed from life support, seven days after his detention by police in the city […] The post Grand jury to probe death of black man hooded by NY police appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsSep 6th, 2020

New York probes suffocation of black man hooded by police

  NEW YORK — Several hundred peaceful demonstrators marched Thursday in New York’s Times Square over the death of a black man that police hooded and forced face down on the road, according to video footage that prompted a probe from the state’s attorney general. The demonstrators gathered under steady rain to demand justice for Daniel […] The post New York probes suffocation of black man hooded by police appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsSep 4th, 2020

LGUs urged to go house-to-house for passes

Only house-to-house distribution of quarantine passes will be allowed in Metro Manila and nearby provinces placed under modified enhanced community quarantine until Aug.18, according to the Department of the Interior and Local Government......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 5th, 2020

PH reports milestone 103,185 mark in COVID-19 cases

The COVID-19 health crisis in the country hit a milestone on Sunday, August 2, as more than 100,000 people were confirmed to have been infected by the deadly disease since the first case was detected last January. The Department of Health (DOH) reported 5,032 new infections, raising the total number of cases to 103,185. The country’s new cases hit fresh highs  in terms of daily reported infections for four straight days already—beating the 4,963 cases recorded on Saturday, August 1.  The active cases stood at 35,569, the DOH said.  The number of recoveries is now at 65,557 with 301 new patients who have recuperated. The death toll jumped to 2,059 as 20 more patients succumbed to the respiratory illness.  This scenario was way ahead of the projection of experts from the University of the Philippines (UP) last July 7— saying that the country could surpass 100,000 cases by the end of August. It can be noted that the Philippines only had a total of 38,511 confirmed cases on July 1. The daily tallies since then ranged between 290 to 5,000 cases. The Philippines ranked 26th with the most number of cases worldwide, based on the World Health Organization’s (WHO) COVID-19 dashboard.Among the 10 members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), the Philippines placed second in terms of case total.  As of Saturday, August 1, the Philippines has tested a total of  1,433,544 people or 1.35 percent of its 106 million population. The total number of tests conducted is at 1,534,319. Moreover, there are 97 COVID-19 licensed laboratories with an overall daily testing capacity of around 28,000. Majority of the infections in the country are found in the National Capital Region (NCR), which is the epicenter of COVID-19 in the country. To date, the number of cases in NCR reached 53,135 with active cases at 17,613, based on the DOH COVID-19 tracker.  Early in July, WHO Country Representative to the Philippines Dr. Rabindra Abeyasinghe underscored the importance of releasing the test result in a fast manner with an ideal turnaround time of  “less than 24 hours,” as well as to strengthen the contact tracing initiatives. He then also expressed concern over the spike of COVID-19 cases being detected outside the NCR, describing it as a “worrying phenomena.” DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said that they are already expecting that the number of cases will shoot up due to the easing of quarantine restrictions. Authorities continuously urged the public to remain vigilant and follow the precautionary measures at all times.  The government relaxed quarantine restrictions in many areas of the country in June, while some reverted or remained under strict measures. The NCR was downgraded to general community quarantine (GCQ) starting June 1 from the much stricter lockdown of modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ). At that time, experts from UP said that it  “might be premature to relax the MECQ to GCQ” as the rate of transmission in NCR remains high. Several medical associations on Saturday called on the government to place NCR under the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) as healthcare workers are already exhausted and in order to slow down the increase of infections......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 2nd, 2020

Let next administration worry about death penalty –Atienza

An independent House member thinks it is better to just let the next administration tackle the sensitive topic that is the reimposition of death penalty. Buhay Partylist Rep. Lito Atienza (FACEBOOK / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN) “The government should concentrate on saving lives and quelling the coronavirus pandemic now and allow the next administration to worry about the proposal to bring back the death penalty,” BUHAY Party-List Rep. Lito Atienza said in a statement Sunday. “We’re now in the middle of a public health disaster that has already demolished the livelihood and jobs of millions of Filipinos,” stressed Atienza, a former three-term mayor of Manila. In his State of the Nation Address (SoNA) before a joint session of Congress last July 24, President Duterte called on legislators to revive capital punishment on certain crimes under the Comprehensive Dangerous Drug Act of 2002. Atienza made his call even as the thousands of daily new infections from the incurable disease threaten to overwhelm the country’s health care system. The pro-life solon described the pursuit of death penalty as an “exercise in futility” given the current circumstances. “First of all, Congress realistically lacks the time to work on the death penalty. Second, in less than 22 months, we will be electing a new president and a new Congress, so we might as well let the next administration worry about the highly divisive proposal,” Atienza said. “Third, even assuming Congress reinstates the death penalty tomorrow, the President still won’t see any judicial executions being carried out for the remainder of his term,” he said. Duterte will finish his six-year term in 2022. The last time Congress passed a law reimposing capital punishment in 1993, the first death verdict was not carried out until 1999, or until six years later, due to legal challenges and mandatory reviews, Atienza pointed out. A death penalty bill was actually passed by the House on third and final reading during the previous 17th Congress. However, the measure faced a roadblock in the Senate and was not taken up......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 2nd, 2020

Probe alleged PhilHealth anomalies, solon urges

Surigao del Norte 2nd District Rep. Robert Ace Barbers has joined the list of lawmakers seeking an investigation on the alleged corruption in the Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (Philhealth). He filed House Resolution No. 1068 seeking to direct the House Committee on Public Accounts, chaired by Anakalusugan partylist Rep. Michael Defensor to look into the alleged anomalies besetting the government corporation that is mandated to help provide affordable, available and accessible health care service for all Filipinos. “There is a need to determine and address the alleged corruption issues to safeguard the Philhealth’s fund and determine the accountability of the Philhealth officials in order to ensure provision of quality, credible, and reliable services to its members,” he said. He noted that it was uncovered last June 2019, that there were some Philhealth officials who allegedly created a scheme where medical clinics or establishment continue to receive payoffs for dialysis treatment even after the death of the patients.  “On July 23, 2020, another corruption controversy circulated on social media in which three Philhealth officials resigned from their posts after alleged corruption activities in the agency were accidentally revealed during a Zoom meeting. One of the said officials who tendered his resignation is the anti-fraud legal officer of Philhealth, Atty. Thorsson Montes Keith, citing widespread corruption as one of his reasons,” Barbers said.  He said even Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque bared the supposed “systemic corruption” in Philhealth involving those in the agency’s higher echelons.  “Atty. Roque revealed that an investigation has been conducted on the alleged anomalies on the overprices purchased of an IT system worth over P2 billion,” Barbers said.  Defensor also filed House Resolution No. 1069 seeking  motu proprio investigation on the corruption issues hounding Philhealth that led to the resignation of several personalities.  “When there seems to be a pattern of alleged abuses where loopholes can be taken advantage of by the unscrupulous, a systemic change needs to be done to overhaul the present set up,” he said......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 1st, 2020

Hurricane Isaias lashes Bahamas on path to virus-hit Florida

Hurricane Isaias lashed the Bahamas Friday as it churned toward Florida, bringing new dangers to a US state suffering record deaths from an unrelenting coronavirus outbreak. Soldiers carry out cleaning work on destroyed houses after the overflow of the Magua river due heavy rains caused by Isaias storm in the city of Hato Mayor, northwest of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, on July 31, 2020. (Photo by Erika SANTELICES / AFP) The category one storm, packing winds of 75 miles (120 kilometers) an hour, gained strength Thursday night after sweeping over the Dominican Republic. As of 2100 GMT, it was an expansive storm, moving northwest at a speed of 15 mph, kicking up heavy squalls and whipping the southeastern Bahamas and Turks and Caicos island chains with strong winds, the Miami-based National Hurricane Center said. “Hurricane conditions will continue to spread northwestward into the central and northwestern Bahamas tonight (Friday) and Saturday,” it added. The eye of the storm was expected to pass over the southeastern Bahamas sometime during the evening Friday and reach the central Bahamas during the night. Hurricane warnings were up across the low-lying Bahamas while parts of Florida’s east coast — including Palm Beach, the location of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort — were under a hurricane watch. Florida could start the feeling the effects of the storm by late Saturday, according to the National Hurricane Center. Florida governor Ron DeSantis signed an emergency declaration for counties on the exposed Atlantic coast. But a slight shift westward in the storm’s trajectory raised hopes that Florida would be spared a direct hit.  DeSantis said it was too early to open shelters, but urged residents to stock up on enough water, food and medicine to last a week. Bahamas Prime Minister Hubert Minnis on Thursday relaxed strict stay-at-home orders imposed because of the coronavirus to allow residents to prepare for the hurricane. “I beg you, do not use this period for hurricane preparation to go socializing and visiting friends or family,” Minnis said at a news conference. “If you do not need to be out, please, please, STAY AT HOME! We are in the midst of a pandemic and if we do not act responsibly, the consequences could be dire,” he said. It is the Bahamas’ first hurricane since Dorian, a maximum strength Category 5 storm last year that devastated two islands, pummeling them for three days.   Hurricane plus pandemic Isaias left a shambles in Puerto Rico, downing trees and electric lines and inundating houses as it cut a path through the island on Thursday. “If you are seeing this, please, we need help,” a man in Mayaguez, on the island’s western side, begged in a video that showed his family clinging to the roof of their car as rising waters inundated their house. In Florida, the concern was that if Isaias does hit, it would cause havoc at a time when hospitals are flooded with a surge of COVID-19 cases. On Friday, Florida reported another 257 deaths, setting a fourth consecutive single day state record and pushing its virus death toll to 6,843. The state’s coronavirus testing centers, meanwhile, were closed Thursday and won’t reopen until they get the all-clear.  The state’s emergency management division explained that the testing centers are housed in tents and could not withstand tropical force winds. For several weeks, Florida has had nearly 10,000 new coronavirus cases a day.  The Republican-run state is now second in the nation in number of cases at 470,386, surpassing early epicenter New York.  Only California, with almost double Florida’s 21 million population, has had more......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 1st, 2020

PBA: Animal Crossing keeps Dillinger busy during quarantine

The new Animal Crossing game has entertained a lot of people in the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Animal Crossing: New Horizons for the Nintendo Switch released earlier this year just as people have been forced to stay at home due to the coronavirus. For many people, ACNH has been one of the main things keeping them sane in these trying times. Ginebra's Jared Dillinger is one of the people that's about that island life while he's stuck at home. "I'm playing lots of video games. A lot. Man, I play Animal Crossing," Dillinger said on a recent PBA Kamustahan episode. "I don't know if y'all got that life, but I am deep in that game right now," he added. Aside from living that peaceful island life in Animal Crossing, Dillinger says his pets have been keeping him busy. But as the quarantine drags on for four months now, he can't wait to get back to the gym just like every other PBA player out there. Their chance will soon come as the PBA has secured clearance from the IATF to hold team practices in small batches. The league is only waiting an official go-signal to begin rolling things out. "I got seven pets in my house so I've been taking care of them," Dillinger said. "I wish I could tell you I'm doing something fun and fantastic. I can't wait to get started and start hooping again," he added.   — Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 22nd, 2020