Advertisements


Hotels to be forced to house COVID-19 patients?

Hotels to be forced to house COVID-19 patients?.....»»

Category: newsSource: cnnphilippines cnnphilippinesApr 16th, 2021

At least 27 dead in fire at Baghdad hospital for COVID patients — medical sources

BAGHDAD — At least 27 people were killed and 46 injured in a fire on Saturday at a hospital in southeastern Baghdad that had been equipped to house COVID-19 patients, medical sources at three nearby hospitals said. The fire at the Ibn Khatib hospital in the Diyala Bridge area of the Iraqi capital occurred after […] The post At least 27 dead in fire at Baghdad hospital for COVID patients — medical sources appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 25th, 2021

Hotels, restaurants see through pandemic with Globe myBusiness

The hospitality industry was one of the hardest-hit sectors as hotels and restaurants were forced to close or limit operations following government restrictions to help slow the spread of COVID-19......»»

Category: techSource:  thestandardRelated NewsMar 27th, 2021

Making love for a living amid Covid-19

I found Valerie interesting. She’s from Pampanga and graduated from a well-known university. She was working at one of the biggest casino hotels in the metro, attending to foreign gamblers in VIP rooms, ‘but no hanky-panky,’ she pointed out, until Covid-19 forced the casino to close down The post Making love for a living amid Covid-19 appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsFeb 26th, 2021

More asymptomatic patients in hospitals prompt DOH-7’s call for more ‘hotel-isolation’ rooms

  CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Department of Health in Central Visayas (DOH-7) is pushing for more hotels here to house asymptomatic patients if it means preventing the hospitals from being overwhelmed by patients. DOH-7 on Monday, February 22, announced they registered a slight increase in the critical care utilization rate of public and private […] The post More asymptomatic patients in hospitals prompt DOH-7’s call for more ‘hotel-isolation’ rooms appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 22nd, 2021

More than 200 staying in TTMFs evacuated to hotels

The Department of Health (DOH) said on Thursday more than 200 people staying in four temporary Treatment and Monitoring Facilities (TTMFs) were evacuated to different hotels due to the threat of Typhoon Ulysses.  A total of 146 patients and 99 staff members were relocated to “Oplan Kalinga Hotels,” the DOH said.  “Patients and staff of Ninoy Aquino Stadium (NAS), Rizal Memorial Coliseum (RMC), Philippine Arena, and Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) TTMFs, which are located in flood prone areas, were evacuated and transferred to Oplan Kalinga Hotels,” the Health department said.  It reported that 36 patients and 26 staff of NAS were transferred to Nice Hotel Mandaluyong; while 41 patients and 26 staff of RMC were transferred to Nice Hotel Arayat. Moreover, 41 patients and 15 staff from Philippine Arena were brought to Nice Hotel McArthur,; while 28 patients and 32 staff of PICC have been relocated to Nice Hotel North Edsa, the DOH said.  The DOH also prepositioned supplies worth P26,849,203.81 to areas affected by the typhoon. These include drugs, medicines, medical supplies, health kits, personal protective equipment, and other COVID-19 supplies.  It also assured that “Health Response Teams are on alert for deployment” and that hospitals were  instructed to prepare “standby functional generator sets and critical/ life saving equipment.” The DOH said that its regional offices in affected areas are “continuously monitoring the effects of the typhoon” through their respective 24/7 Operations Center.  .....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsNov 12th, 2020

Fauci says Trump’s talk of Covid-19 ‘cure’ causing confusion

US President Donald Trump has been talking up an experimental Covid-19 treatment he received as “a cure,” but one of his top government scientists said referring to it as such may cause “confusion.” Anthony Fauci, the longtime director of the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Disease, gave an interview to CBS News on Friday where he also referred to the coronavirus outbreak at the White House that infected dozens of people as a “super spreader event.” Asked about Trump’s effusive praise for Regeneron’s antibody treatment, Fauci said that talking about a “cure” could be misleading because it hasn’t yet been proven, and the drugs that are currently available have only been shown to have modest to moderate results.  “We don’t have any indication — I think you really have to depend on what you mean by a cure, because that’s the word that leads to a lot of confusion,” he said. He then walked through some of the medicines that are currently recommended or have been temporarily approved against the disease. These include the antiviral remdesivir which has been shown to diminish time to recovery among hospitalized patients, and the steroid dexamethasone, which reduces mortality rates in patients who need supplemental oxygen. Regeneron’s treatment belongs to a class of drug called monoclonal antibodies. Fauci said that while these had been “showing promise in clinical trials,” the research is still ongoing and no final determination has been made. Fauci was also asked about the low level of mask use at the White House until recently, and what lessons could be learned. “I think the — the data speaks for themselves,” the scientist said of mask-wearing.  “We had a super-spreader event in the White House and it was in a situation where people were crowded together and were not wearing masks. So the data speak for themselves.” More than 30 people are thought to have been infected at a White House ceremony held September 26 for the nomination of Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court. The president’s doctor Sean Conley has said Trump may return to public engagements as early as Saturday, raising fears that he may still have high levels of the virus in his body and therefore still be contagious.  Fauci said he had faith that the president’s medical team wouldn’t allow him to do that. “I can tell you, they are going to be testing him to determine the trajectory and whether he gets to the point where he’s not infected,” he said. “I can guarantee you that they will be testing him before they let him go out.”.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 9th, 2020

With no hospital admitting him, Bacolod City councilor’s staff member dies from cardiac arrest

BACOLOD CITY –– A technical staff member of a councilor here died of cardiac arrest in his house on Sunday as hospitals in Bacolod City remained overwhelmed by the rising number of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients. Jesryl Bancaya, 33, who was in-charge of orienting returning overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), had a fever for nine […] The post With no hospital admitting him, Bacolod City councilor’s staff member dies from cardiac arrest appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 24th, 2020

Ospital ng Tondo on 10-day shutdown after 32 doctors, nurses fall ill

Another Manila City hospital has been forced to temporarily close after 32 of its doctors and nurses fell ill while tending to COVID-19 patients......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 14th, 2020

Solons to gov’t: Heed the plea of medical workers

Lawmakers expressed all-out support on Sunday (August 2) to the appeal made by Philippine College of Physicians and the Philippine Medical Associationto shift Mega Manila back to a 15-day enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), even as they sought a change in leadership in the Department of Health (DOH) and other agencies handling the country’s response against COVID-19. (JANSEN ROMERO / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN) Albay 1st District Rep. Edcel Lagman, Anakalusugan partylist Rep. Michael Defensor, Bayan Muna partylist Rep.  Carlos Isagani Zarate, and Quezon City  2nd District Rep. Precious Hipolito Castelo called on the government to heed the plea of the medical experts and frontliners for more stringent health protocols in critical areas. “While both the health and economic crisis wrought by  the still ravaging COVID-19 pandemic must be both effectively addressed, the relief and recovery of the people’s health must be prioritized. Lives lost are forfeited forever but businesses lost can be redeemed,” Lagman said in a statement.“We must learn from the bitter lesson experienced by other countries like Japan which prematurely reopened economic, leisure and domestic travel activities only to be besieged later by a resurgence of the viral contagion,” he stressed.  Defensor, chairperson of the House Committee on Public Accounts, said, “If our leading doctors are prescribing it, then as good patients, we are all for Mega Manila’s brief return to an ECQ.” “Our sense is, our public health system is on the verge of collapse, and the momentary return to an ECQ will buy everybody more time to gird for a longer battle against the coronavirus disease,” he said. He said once the government gives in to the appeal, the COVID-19 National Task Force should take that opportunity to fix the lack of hospital staff due to doctors, nurses and other personnel getting infected and still recovering, or undergoing routine seclusion after possible exposure; expand the bed capacities of makeshift hospitals and quarantine facilities; and improve case-finding and the isolation of suspected cases. Defensor said the government should also step up contact-tracing and quarantining; upgrade public transportation options and safety; strengthen workplace protection; build up enforcement of and public compliance with self-protective measures such as the wearing of face masks and face shields, handwashing as well as social and physical distancing; and increase financial and livelihood support to distressed households. Zarate said they are one with our frontliners in demanding a reprieve from the overwhelming cases of COVID-19, particularly in the National Capital Region. “Reverting back to ECQ or whatever level of lockdown is useless or will be for naught if the primary recommendation of frontliners like free mass testing, pro-active contact tracing, isolation and treatment will not be seriously implemented by the government,” he said in a statement. For her part, Castelo said, “Let us listen to them. They are the ones on the frontline. Indeed, after five months of fighting this pandemic, they are exhausted physically, emotionally and mentally.” She laments that several doctors and nurses have died and many others have fallen sick while battling COVID-19. “Our medical workers are asking for a short time to recuperate. Let us give it to them,” she said. In a radio interview, Surigao del Norte 2nd district Rep. Robert Ace Barbers said the government should strike a balance between the economy and health of the Filipinos, but it should be tilted somehow, in favor of health amid the appeal made by physicians to shift Mega Manila back to a 15-day ECQ. He asked the DOH to come up with “a system, a policy, or even perhaps a strategy” to reinforce the country’s health system by augmenting the medical force.  In a separate statement, Assistant Minority Leader and ACT Teachers Representative France Castro said the Inter Agency Task Force for COVID-19 should be headed by medical experts instead of generals who have done nothing but to impose military solutions to combat a public health crisis.  “Our frontliners are already pleading to the Duterte administration to implement a comprehensive medical plan to address the COVID-19 pandemic in the country. The government needs to listen and take concrete actions with the demands of our healthcare workers,” she said.   “It is high time that medical experts lead in the fight against COVID-19 instead of military generals. Medical experts who will not twist data and try to sanitize the numbers. We need medical experts who use science and not allow an entire population to be used as guinea pigs in a failed response and inadequate policies for public health safety.”.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 2nd, 2020

HK opens makeshift hospital for COVID-19 patient

Hong Kong opened a temporary field hospital with 500 beds on Saturday to house stable COVID-19 patients as the city battles a new wave of virus infections. The financial hub had been a poster child for tackling the coronavirus, with local transmissions all but ended by early summer. But since July the pathogen has returned, with […] The post HK opens makeshift hospital for COVID-19 patient appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsAug 1st, 2020

Cops sent to secure COVID-19 centers

Police officers in Metro Manila have been deployed to prevent patients quarantined in hotels turned into isolation centers from leaving, an official said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 31st, 2020

Belmonte: Coordinate isolation of COVID-19 patients in hotels

Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte yesterday called on the Bureau of Quarantine to coordinate with the local government the isolation of coronavirus disease 2019 patients......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 26th, 2020

PBA: Animal Crossing keeps Dillinger busy during quarantine

The new Animal Crossing game has entertained a lot of people in the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Animal Crossing: New Horizons for the Nintendo Switch released earlier this year just as people have been forced to stay at home due to the coronavirus. For many people, ACNH has been one of the main things keeping them sane in these trying times. Ginebra's Jared Dillinger is one of the people that's about that island life while he's stuck at home. "I'm playing lots of video games. A lot. Man, I play Animal Crossing," Dillinger said on a recent PBA Kamustahan episode. "I don't know if y'all got that life, but I am deep in that game right now," he added. Aside from living that peaceful island life in Animal Crossing, Dillinger says his pets have been keeping him busy. But as the quarantine drags on for four months now, he can't wait to get back to the gym just like every other PBA player out there. Their chance will soon come as the PBA has secured clearance from the IATF to hold team practices in small batches. The league is only waiting an official go-signal to begin rolling things out. "I got seven pets in my house so I've been taking care of them," Dillinger said. "I wish I could tell you I'm doing something fun and fantastic. I can't wait to get started and start hooping again," he added.   — Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 22nd, 2020

HEAD: Police’s house search for COVID-19 cases a concern

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Health Alliance for Democracy (HEAD) Cebu City Chapter has expressed concern about reports of the police being tasked to find and take persons infected with the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).  “This house-to-house style of tracking COVID-19 patients is uncalled for at this crucial point when health crisis response in the […] The post HEAD: Police’s house search for COVID-19 cases a concern appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 18th, 2020

EDITORIAL - Oplan Kalinga

There were conflicting messages yesterday as the government worked out the mechanics of a house-to-house search for mild or asymptomatic cases of coronavirus disease 2019. Those in charge of the COVID-19 pandemic response want the patients to be separated from their household members and quarantined in appropriate facilities if the.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 16th, 2020

Government drops house-to-house drive to isolate patients

Malacañang on Wednesday clarified that there will be no house-to-house search for COVID-19 patients to force them to be confined in government health facilities......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJul 15th, 2020

Police house-to-house visit in search of COVID-19 patients alarms rights defenders

With the new policy, there is a higher probability that the police themselves would be spreading the disease. The post Police house-to-house visit in search of COVID-19 patients alarms rights defenders appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsJul 15th, 2020

‘Susceptible to overreach’: House-to-house search for COVID-19 patients alarms CHR

The CHR official also stressed that the constitutional right of people to be secure in their houses makes the forcible entry, search, arrest and seizure of individuals inside the safety of their abodes without a determined probable cause illegal......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 15th, 2020

Hontiveros on house-to-house search for coronavirus patients: Like Oplan Tokhang but for COVID

Oplan Tokhang is the police practice of going house-to-house most often associated with the government's bloody war on drugs, which has reaped over 5,000 deaths by Philippine National Police figures but as high as 27,000 fatalities by the count of several rights groups......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 15th, 2020

Confusion stirs amid conflicting statements on house-to-house search for COVID-19 patients

"We don't have a provision for house-to-house. Only the political critics of the government, again, weaponizing this very important task of tracing," said Roque. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 15th, 2020