Advertisements


Gross violations of IP and children rights

The baseless arrest in Cebu last week of the Salugpongan teachers and elders and the forced abduction of the Lumad children are gross violations of their human rights under international and Philippine law......»»

Category: newsSource: thestandard thestandardFeb 23rd, 2021

Rights groups slam MMDA spox for ‘drama serye’ remark on detained activist

Human rights groups slammed Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Spokesperson Celine Pialago following her “drama serye” remarks at detained activist Reina Mae Nasino who recently buried her three-month-old daughter River.  Kapatid, a support group for families and friends of political prisoners, said those who downgrade what happened to the political prisoner are only trying to “cover the government’s gross violation of human rights.”  “The story of Reina Mae Nasino and her 3-month-old child who died last week is not ‘drama-serye.’ It is a real story that exposed the countless injustices committed by the government,” it said in a statement released on Sunday.  “MMDA Chair Danny Lim, a former political prisoner himself, should have long shown the door to his spokesperson. It should be obvious by now that sensitivity cannot be taught nor proper manners and right conduct if one is empty-headed,” it added. Meanwhile, National Union of People’s Lawyers (NUPL) President Edre Olalia was more restrained, saying they would “do the same thing if she was in Ina’s position and circumstance. “To start with, we will never ever wish this horrible tragedy and injustice to visit the Asec, her mother, her daughters, her sisters and her aunts,” he said in a Facebook post. Despite having nothing to do with traffic, Pialago felt the need to “use her voice as a Filipino” to share her two cents on Nasino’s case. “Hindi lahat ng inang nakakulong ay nakapunta sa libing ng kanyang anak. Kaya yung mga sumisimpatya kay Reina Mae Nasino, pag aralan niyo mabuti ang dahilan bakit siya nakulong at kilalanin niyong mabuti kung sino siya sa lipunan (Not all jailed mothers get to visit their children’s funeral. So all of those who sympathize with Reina Mae Nasino, study well why she was imprisoned and know who she is and what her role is in society),” she said in a Facebook post on Sunday morning. “Masyado ninyong ginagawang pang drama serye sa hapon ang paghihinagpis niya. Tigilan niyo (You are trying to make her grief like an afternoon drama serye. Stop it)!” she added. Nasino was five months pregnant with River when she was arrested in November 2019 for allegedly being found with firearms and explosives at the Bagong Alyansang Makabayan Manila Office in Tondo, Manila. Her lawyers have insisted that the pieces of evidence were planted and that the charges filed against her are trumped-up. She gave birth to River on July 1 at the Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial Medical Hospital on July 1. She and her baby were returned to the Manila City Jail 48 hours later. Before this, she filed a motion before the Manila Regional Trial Court (RTC) to allow her to breastfeed her daughter for a year at the hospital or a prison nursery.  But Manila RTC Branch 20 Judge Marivic Balisi-Umali denied this, saying that the jail has “very limited resources” for the care of her child.  Nasino was also among 22 elderly and medically-compromised detainees who filed a motion for their compassionate release amid the pandemic on April 8 before the Supreme Court. But months later, the High Court ruled that the trial courts will be the ones to decide on their temporary release. On August 13, the activist-mother was ordered to turn her child over to her relatives.  River was admitted at the Philippine General Hospital for fever and diarrhea on September 24. She was placed in the intensive care unit on October 9 where she died a few hours later.  A few hours before her daughter died, Nasino filed a very urgent motion for furlough so she can be with her child in her dying moments. On October 13, Manila RTC Branch 47 Judge Paulino Gallegos granted her three full days from October 14 to 16 to be by her daughter’s side during the wake and burial.  But the next day, he cut Nasino’ furlough down to only six hours from 1 to 4 p.m. on October 14 and 16 after receiving opposition from the Manila City Jail. The Manila City Jail cited lack of personnel, health concerns, and a guideline stating that detainees can only be at their loved ones’ burial and wake for a maximum of three hours. For both the wake and the funeral, Nasino was clad in a full set of personal protective equipment, handcuffed, and flanked by numerous uniformed personnel.  Tensions rose during the wake after her escorts tried to pull her away twice before her time was up, eventually escorting her out with 20 minutes to spare before 4 p.m. On October 16, Marites Asis, Nasino’s mother, had to kneel and beg in front of the police to allow them to hold funeral at 11:30 a.m. The cops wanted to delay it until 1 p.m. Police also sped off with River’s hearse to the Manila North Cemetery, leaving her family behind and thwarting activists’ plan to conduct a caravan around the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals before burying her at the cemetery. Nasino’s counsels at NUPL earlier said that they will file charges against those involved in the activist’s treatment during her daughter’s wake and burial. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 18th, 2020

'DuterteLegacy | 4 years of gross human rights violations, impunity

“It is not enough to argue that the Government’s heavy-handed policies remain popular in the country. Because victims tend to be from lower socio-economic classes and relatively disempowered communities, there is an even stronger imperative to ensure their protection. We must not let them down. Political leadership is about respecting, promoting and protecting the rights of everyone in society, in particular the most vulnerable, so as to leave no one behind.” -- UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet The post #DuterteLegacy | 4 years of gross human rights violations, impunity appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsJul 2nd, 2020

Judges question warrants in Kraft massage parlor sex case

By TERRY SPENCER Associated Press FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Florida appellate judges on Tuesday questioned the legality of search warrants that let police secretly video record New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft and others paying for massage parlor sex, pressing a prosecutor on his contention that the warrants were legally valid. Deputy Solicitor General Jeffrey DeSousa found himself repeatedly queried by the three-judge panel as he tried to persuade them that the warrants and searches met all constitutional protections and that they should overturn lower court rulings that barred the recordings' use at trial. Misdemeanor charges against Kraft, 79, and other customers would have to be dropped if those rulings stand, although felony charges against the spa owners might proceed as there is other evidence against them. Kraft and others were charged in February 2019 in a multi-county investigation of massage parlors that included the secret installation of video cameras in the spas' lobbies and rooms. Police say the recordings show Kraft and other men engaging in sex acts with women and paying them. Police say they twice recorded Kraft, a widower, paying for sex at the Orchids of Asia massage parlor. Kraft has pleaded not guilty but issued a public apology. Judge Robert Gross, who presided at the Florida Fourth District Court of Appeal hearing, seemed taken aback by DeSousa's contention that he and his colleagues should primarily consider the plain language of the Fourth Amendment. It says judges can issue warrants if police demonstrate probable cause of a crime, that warrants must specify the place to be searched and what can be seized. Gross told DeSousa he seemed to be ignoring numerous rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court expanding Fourth Amendment protections since the 1960s, including some that restrict electronic surveillance by police. “You are getting us off on the wrong foot by focusing on the language of the Fourth Amendment when we should be focusing on the Supreme Court jurisprudence....that is heavily weighted against you,” Gross told DeSousa. The 90-minute hearing included arguments on whether cameras were necessary; on whether the police violated the privacy of customers who simply received massages; and on the proper sanction if the defendants' rights were violated. The attorneys for Kraft and the other defendants argued that police failed to minimize the privacy violations they committed by recording innocent customers, including women, who received legal massages. “These cameras, that were put into private massage rooms where patrons would be undressing as a matter of course, they recorded everything," Kraft attorney Derek Shaffer said. He said Kraft “had the same reasonable expectation of privacy that any massage patron going to a licensed facility would be entitled.” Attorneys also argued the cameras weren't necessary as police already had enough evidence to charge the spa owners, including bank records, website advertising, outside video surveillance and napkins containing bodily fluids retrieved from garbage bins. The only proper punishment for prosecutors and police, they argued, is to throw out all recordings. DeSousa argued that police and prosecutors need the recording to convict the owners of felonies. The owners must be shown receiving payments from the prostitutes and the only way to get that is to install cameras, he said. He said detectives had to fully record all massages, because the sex acts happened at their conclusion and 95% of male customers received one. While no female customers paid for sex, they were few in number and to not record them could be seen as discriminating against men, he said. DeSousa said even if the court finds police violated innocent customers' privacy rights, the Supreme Court has ruled that in most circumstances, only improperly seized evidence should be thrown out. Since Kraft, the other men and the masseuses were engaged in crimes, their recordings should be permitted, he said. “Given the unique and difficult circumstances confronting these officers, the conspiracy, the logistics of the operation, what they reasonably anticipated they would see and the difficulty of knowing at the start of any given massage will this end with a happy ending or will it not, we think what law enforcement did here was entirely reasonable,” DeSousa said. The court usually takes weeks to issue rulings. The losing side will likely appeal to the state Supreme Court, which could accept the case or let the decision stand. If convicted, Kraft would likely receive a fine, community service and other sanctions, but he could also be suspended or otherwise punished by the National Football League......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 1st, 2020

Gross violations of De Lima& rsquo;s rights

Yesterday, June 5, Atty. Chel Diokno, one of the legal counsels of Senator Lelia De Lima, who was with Catholic priest Fr. Flavie Villanueva and De Lima’s chief of staff Atty. Fhillip Sawali, was barred from visiting the senator earlier at the Custodial Center in Camp Crame, Quezon City......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJun 5th, 2020

Former Aussie senator, int’l groups alarmed over ‘appalling rights situation’ in PH

“Our many meetings with communities from across the Philippines have left members of our delegation appalled by the continuing gross violations of human rights in the Philippines. The outright disregard for human life is unacceptable.” The post Former Aussie senator, int’l groups alarmed over ‘appalling rights situation’ in PH appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsDec 10th, 2019

‘Reds recruit youth through social media’

New People’s Army (NPA) guerrillas continue to recruit children, which is a gross violation of the United Nations Children’s Fund’s Convention on the Rights of Children, according to a military official......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 10th, 2019

Rights violations in wars vs insurgency, illegal drugs

Criticized for its muddled, bumbling response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Duterte government has been trying to rev up its two priority wars – against insurgency and against illegal drugs – in the remaining 14 months of its term......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated News12 hr. 41 min. ago

Human rights lawyer survives murder attempt

By RAYMUND VILLANUEVA Bulatlat.com A lawyer, counsel to human rights violations victims and petitioners against the Rodrigo Duterte government’s controversial Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020, had been stabbed in Iloilo City Wednesday night, March 3. Atty. Angelo Karlo Guillen was stabbed with a screw driver on his lower left temple and back by two unidentified assailants… The post Human rights lawyer survives murder attempt appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsMar 5th, 2021

Tokhang against leftists in Cordillera could spur more abuses — Makabayan bloc

"[This] could open the floodgates for another wave of widespread rights violations and extrajudicial killings," the Makabayan bloc said Monday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 1st, 2021

35 years since EDSA, groups warn against threats to democracy

Groups on Thursday urged Filipinos to resist threats to democracy and scored rights violations in the country as the Philippines marks 35 years since the removal of ousted dictator Ferdinand Marcos......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 25th, 2021

PNP questions CHR findings on indoctrination of ‘lumad’ children in Cebu

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Friday questioned the assessment made by the Commission on Human Rights’ (CHR) which said that the 19 “lumad” (Indigenous Peoples) children allegedly rescued by police in Cebu were not indoctrinated by communists, as it challenged the CHR to “deepen its objective views in their investigation.” In […] The post PNP questions CHR findings on indoctrination of ‘lumad’ children in Cebu appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 19th, 2021

Opinion | In defense of our red (tagged) comrades in the ivory tower!

These red (tagged) comrades were not responsible for the phasing out of jeepneys, for rampant violations of human rights, for the collapse of our agriculture. They took up arms precisely because they know that the peaceful means to achieve genuine social change is irresolvable in the current existing system. They realized that it was the existing system, which is unsustainable, that is utopian rather than the alternative future that they were willing to die for. They were not dreamers! They were realistic! Like the 1968 French student rebellion, they demanded the impossible! The post Opinion | In defense of our red (tagged) comrades in the ivory tower! appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsFeb 18th, 2021

Anti-Terror Law worsens human rights situation in Maguindanao

Hundreds of families have been forced to evacuate since the imposed lockdown due to continuous military operations allegedly against the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF). But the aerial bombings and mortar shelling victimized civilians; the latest casualties include two children and a pregnant woman. The post Anti-Terror Law worsens human rights situation in Maguindanao appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsFeb 18th, 2021

EDITORIAL - Safer internet for children

Even before the COVID pandemic, the Philippines was already being tagged by child rights advocates as the global epicenter of the online sexual exploitation of children......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 9th, 2021

Groups urge CHR to probe trumped-up murder charges against human rights defenders

“The arrest warrant is the legal cover for the potential commission of other human rights violations and irregularities such as the planting of firearms and explosives to justify additional non-bailable charges. Such was the experience of other activists such as Rey Casambre, Maoj Maga, Alexander Reyes and many others.” The post Groups urge CHR to probe trumped-up murder charges against human rights defenders appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsFeb 3rd, 2021

Global groups launch independent probe into alleged rights abuses

The Independent International Commission of Investigation into Human Rights Violations in the Philippines or Investigate PH was launched in Asia Pacific Thursday, marking the start of probes into rights abuses in the country......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 28th, 2021

PH gov’t maltreatment of Nasino and child violated int’l standards on prisoners, children

The International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines (ICHRP) and its chapters condemned the Philippine government’s inhumane treatment of Filipina political prisoner Reina Mae Nasino following the death of her three-month-old Baby River......»»

Category: newsSource:  samarnewsRelated NewsJan 12th, 2021

CHR launches probe into killings of Tumandok leaders in Panay raids

The CHR’s Western Visayas office is already moving to gather documents and affidavits “to resolve if human rights violations were committed” in the killing of nine Tumandok community leaders in Capiz and Iloilo, Commissioner Gwendolyn Pimentel-Gana said in a statement Tuesday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 5th, 2021

Kin urge SC to release union organizers, decry violation of rights

Relatives of Dennise Velasco and Joel Demate asserted that the “issuance of the search warrants was tainted with infirmities,” and the implementation of the search warrant “is in violation of established rules of procedure and in gross derogation of their constitutional rights.” The post Kin urge SC to release union organizers, decry violation of rights appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsDec 20th, 2020

International groups launch probe on human rights violations in PH

“This is most definitely a global issue...We must not allow the call for human rights to be hijacked. Accountability must be part of the justice and democratic system.” The post International groups launch probe on human rights violations in PH appeared first on Bulatlat......»»

Category: newsSource:  bulatlatRelated NewsDec 18th, 2020