Advertisements


Gas lamp accident may have caused huge Looc fire

CEBU CITY, Philippines—The owner of the house where the massive fire in Brgy. Looc, Mandaue City allegedly started denied allegations that the incident was intentional. The fire that hit a densely populated area in Sitio Paradise late Tuesday night, November 22, 2022, and burned down at least 250 houses reportedly started at the house of […] The post Gas lamp accident may have caused huge Looc fire appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerNov 23rd, 2022

Nueva Ecija mayor held liable for P21.9 million fire damage

Mayor Arvin Salonga of San Antonio, Nueva Ecija has been found liable for P21.99 million in damage caused by a fire that hit the municipal building in June 2013......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 19th, 2023

Temporary housing units for Looc fire victims almost complete

MANDAUE CITY, Philippines — A few units of the temporary housing project of the Mandaue City Government for the victims of the massive fire in Sitio Paradise, Barangay Looc, are almost complete. The construction of the housing project that is located near the Cebu International Convention Center (CICC) is ongoing but a few units were […] The post Temporary housing units for Looc fire victims almost complete appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 17th, 2023

Nepal finds black boxes of aircraft after deadliest crash in 30 years

KATHMANDU — Searchers found the cockpit voice recorder and flight data recorder on Monday, January 16, 2023, from a passenger flight that crashed, killing at least 70 people in Nepal’s worst plane accident for 30 years, officials said. The data on the recorders may help investigators determine what caused the Yeti Airlines ATR 72 aircraft, […] The post Nepal finds black boxes of aircraft after deadliest crash in 30 years appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 17th, 2023

US aviation regulator probing system outage after huge disruption

Aviation authorities were racing to figure out what caused the outage of a crucial alert system that forced the temporary halt on all US domestic takeoffs, triggering thousands of delays and cancellations......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 12th, 2023

Looc fire victims complain of flooded tents in Norkis Park

MANDAUE CITY, Philippines — Victims of the fire in Sitio Paradise, Barangay Looc, Mandaue City were already transferred to the Norkis Park, the city’s former isolation unit that is also located in Barangay Looc. They were previously staying at the Ceasar Cabahug Elementary School but were asked to move because the Department of Education wants […] The post Looc fire victims complain of flooded tents in Norkis Park appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 3rd, 2023

Looc brgy chief to 2,000 Paradise fire victims: Leave school, wait for city’s temporary housing

MANDAUE CITY, Philippines — The over 2,000 victims of the Sitio Paradise fire have started to leave the Ceasar Cabahug Elementary School where they were temporarily staying for nearly a month or since Nov. 27. Looc Barangay Captain Allan Siazon said that the victims of the Nov. 23 fire were given until Dec. 31 to […] The post Looc brgy chief to 2,000 Paradise fire victims: Leave school, wait for city’s temporary housing appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 26th, 2022

Christmas tree in Iloilo town plaza goes up in flames

ILOILO CITY—A giant Christmas tree in an Iloilo town plaza went up in flames late Friday afternoon, December 23. According to Mayor Marina Gorriceta of San Miguel town, Iloilo, they have yet to determine what caused the fire but pointed to a possible short-circuiting of the tree’s electric lights. “Our electrician did inspect [the tree] before it was turned […] The post Christmas tree in Iloilo town plaza goes up in flames appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 23rd, 2022

Mandaue to commend hero fisherman who saved lives Looc fire

MANDAUE CITY, Cebu—The Mandaue City Council has passed a resolution on Monday, December 5, 2022, to commend the “hero” fisherman who saved individuals who jumped into the sea water to escape the fire in Sitio Paradise in Baragay Looc, here. Members of the Mandaue City Council passed the resolution during their regular session on Monday, […] The post Mandaue to commend hero fisherman who saved lives Looc fire appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 5th, 2022

Lapu-Lapu Mayor donates P1M for Mandaue fire victims

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines — Lapu-Lapu City or Lapu-Lapu Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan turned over on Friday, Dec. 2, 2022, a cheque worth P1 million to Mandaue City Vice Mayor Glenn Bercede. Chan donated the amount to the city government of Mandaue for the fire victims at Sitio Paradise in Barangay Looc. The fire that hit […] The post Lapu-Lapu Mayor donates P1M for Mandaue fire victims appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 2nd, 2022

Cortes: Temporary shelter for fire victims will be up before 2022 ends

MANDAUE CITY, Philippines — Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes told victims of the massive fire that struck Sitio Paradise in Barangay Looc here that their temporary shelter will be ready before the year ends. Cortes announced this on Wednesday, November 30, during the distribution of the victims’ financial assistance through the Assistance for Individuals in […] The post Cortes: Temporary shelter for fire victims will be up before 2022 ends appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 30th, 2022

More aid for Mandaue’s fire victims

CEBU CITY, Philippines – More help has arrived for the thousands of individuals in Brgy. Looc, Mandaue City displaced by a massive fire. The Cebu Provincial Government, through the Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO), has donated at least 700 relief packs to the families from Sitio Paradise, Brgy. Looc who lost their homes […] The post More aid for Mandaue’s fire victims appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 29th, 2022

Barangay Looc declares state of emergency due to massive fire

MANDAUE CITY, Philippines — Barangay Looc in Mandaue City has declared a state of emergency after it was hit by a massive fire on Tuesday, November 22. Looc Barangay Captain Allan Siazon, on Thursday, November 24, said that emergency funds will be used to purchase goods and equipment that the fire victims would need especially […] The post Barangay Looc declares state of emergency due to massive fire appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 24th, 2022

Late Night Fire Razes 250 Homes in Mandaue

A late-night fire has set ablaze 250 homes in Sitio Paradise, Barangay Looc, Mandaue City. In a Facebook post of Mandaue City Fire station, the fire started around 11:46 PM last Tuesday, November 22, 2022. The first alarm was called around 11:50 PM and was raised to the third alarm at around 11:55 PM. At […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsNov 23rd, 2022

Chan donates 1-month salary, goods to Mandaue fire victims

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines — Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan has donated his one-month salary to the fire victims of Sitio Paradise, Barangay Looc in Mandaue City. The cheque for the mayor’s salary amounted to P188,726. Aside from his one-month salary, Chan also turned over to Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes 1,000 pcs. relief packs […] The post Chan donates 1-month salary, goods to Mandaue fire victims appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 23rd, 2022

Cortes to let fire victims return, rebuild their homes

MANDAUE CITY, Philippines — Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes has promised the fire victims in Sitio Paradise, Barangay Looc that they can return and build their houses in the area. Cortes made this promise during his visit on Wednesday morning, November 23, to the two evacuation sites where the fire victims were temporarily sheltered. Cortes […] The post Cortes to let fire victims return, rebuild their homes appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 23rd, 2022

Laguna fireworks factory owner faces raps over blast

Criminal charges are being readied against the owner of an illegal fireworks factory in Calamba City, Laguna, which exploded and caused a fire in a residential area on Friday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 20th, 2022

Two fires hit Cebu City in 5 hours: 56 houses destroyed; P2.7M worth of property lost; 216 individuals displaced

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Two fires in a span of five hours in Cebu City destroyed 56 houses and displaced 216 individuals in the late evening of Nov. 5 and early morning of Nov. 6 in Barangays Kalunasan and Talamban this city. Investigators from the Cebu City Fire Office (CCFO) estimated the damage to property caused […] The post Two fires hit Cebu City in 5 hours: 56 houses destroyed; P2.7M worth of property lost; 216 individuals displaced appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 6th, 2022

South Korea’s Halloween crowd surge: What we know

SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea is investigating the exact cause of a deadly crowd surge that killed 154 people at a Halloween event, as public outrage grows over perceived policing and crowd control failures. A man offers a flower at a joint memorial altar for victims of the deadly Halloween crowd surge, in Naksopyeong, near the district of Itaewon in Seoul on October 31, 2022. ANTHONY WALLACE / AFP What went wrong and why did so many people die at the first post-pandemic Halloween party in Seoul’s popular Itaewon nightlife district? Here is what we know: What’s going on? The government promised a “thorough and transparent investigation” into the exact causes of the deadly crush in Itaewon, and police said Monday they had launched a task force and started the probe. They’ve deployed forensic experts, seized footage from 50 security cameras in the area, and interviewed scores of witnesses, victims, and workers at nearby stores, according to a senior police officer. How did it happen? Typically, a gathering of over 1,000 people has to submit “safety management plans” to the government in advance for review by police and fire departments. But in the case of the Itaewon Halloween festivities, there is no designated event organiser — individual bars, clubs and restaurants simply hold their own events and people flock to the area. Just weeks before, a “Global Village Festival” was safely staged in the exact same streets — but it was an organised event sponsored by local authorities. As a result, it had “effective crowd control with many police officers and district office staff in charge”, said Kim Min-kyu, who runs a currency exchange shop near the site of the accident and saw both events. Police have admitted to lapses in their real-time management of the event. “Police officers on the scene didn’t detect a sudden surge in the crowd,” Hong Ki-hyun, chief of the National Police Agency’s Public Order Management Bureau, told local reporters. Why was it so bad? Experts say the crowd crush could have been prevented with proper preparation, But they admit things have gotten more difficult after years of pandemic-related lockdowns. “Everywhere in the world event organisers are struggling with the post-Covid crowd,” said Eric Kant, a crowd safety specialist who runs the Phase01 Crowd Management. “A lot of visitors are new with partying, they are indeed very excited, and maybe do not understand risks very much,” he added. Key risk factors for crowd surges are “unrestricted entry” of people into a small space, and “no ticket sales” which means organisers have no exact estimate of demand, experts say — all of which happened at Itaewon. “This is a recipe for disaster in mass gatherings,” crowd safety expert Milad Haghani of the University of New South Wales told AFP. Even for the Halloween event — a public gathering with no tickets — authorities could have been actively managing the situation to prevent overcrowding. “On the day, this would mean monitoring the numbers, at the very least,” said John Drury, an expert on crowd psychology at the University of Sussex. “It would also mean a public information campaign beforehand to discourage such large numbers attending.” He warned that psychology studies show people actually seek out “objectively dangerous levels of density” at events, and organisers need to be aware of this risk. Who is to blame? So far, no one has been held accountable, even as public anger flares at the government and police for their apparent lack of oversight. Top-ranking officials have brushed off questions about taking responsibility, saying the priority is currently on helping the victims and dealing with the aftermath of the accident. Much local criticism has focused on the police — but experts say they are not necessarily at fault. “We should remember that the primary role of the police is generally not crowd management,” said Martyn Amos, a professor at Northumbria University who works on crowd simulation. “It’s possible to manage an event largely using stewards, with the police there to ensure public order and to deal with criminal activity,” he told AFP. What happens next? The government is under immense pressure to resolve this quickly — and properly. The opposition Democratic Party has already slammed the government’s handling of the event, and will likely push for resignations once the national mourning period ends on November 5. The Itaewon crush could deal another blow to President Yoon Suk-yeol’s popularity ratings — already at record lows. There is also a possibility that the disaster, if mishandled, could become a major political liability for the government. In 2014 then president Park Geun-hye was in power during the sinking of the Sewol ferry in which 304 people — mostly school children — died. She was widely criticised for her handling of the incident. The issue lingered over her presidency until she was impeached three years later over a corruption scandal......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsOct 31st, 2022

Cebu daycare center finds “home” with help from AboitizPower subsidiary

Teacher Nenita Riveral has taught pre-schoolers in the village of Ermita, Cebu City, for 13 years. Until recently, the daycare center she works at had no permanent address. A huge fire hit a portion of the barangay in 2013, leaving thousands of people homeless. Unfortunately, the blaze also claimed Riveral’s nursery. Following a massive exodus […] The post Cebu daycare center finds “home” with help from AboitizPower subsidiary appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 4th, 2022

Fire guts Zambo Sibugay town market

ZAMBOANGA CITY - Some PHP16.2 million worth of properties went up in smoke when a fire caused by faulty electrical wiring gutted down the public market of Ipil, the capital town of Zamboanga Sibugay, before midnight Friday.Insp. Percival Alar, Ipil fire marshal, said in a statement on Saturd.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJun 11th, 2022