Advertisements


From macaques to crabs, wildlife faces threat from face masks

Masks that helped save lives during the coronavirus pandemic are proving a deadly hazard for wildlife, with birds and marine creatures ensnared in the staggering number of discarded facial coverings littering animal habitats......»»

Category: newsSource: thestandard thestandardJan 12th, 2021

Government urged to provide free face masks, shields to poor

Amid the continuing threat of COVID-19, Sen. Bong Go reminded the public to strictly adhere to government-imposed protocols, such as mandatory wearing of masks and face shields in public places......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 10th, 2021

Be a modern-day hero, wear your face masks — Ahong to Oponganons

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines – Emulate Dr. Jose Rizal, and be a modern-day hero by following the health protocols set by the government to combat the threat of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). This, in a nutshell, is how Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan urged his fellow Oponganons to continue to be vigilant against the […] The post Be a modern-day hero, wear your face masks — Ahong to Oponganons appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsDec 30th, 2020

Shanghai marathon draws 9K runners amid virus threat

Around 9,000 runners­­—some wearing face masks—took part in the Shanghai International Marathon Sunday, Chinese media said, a rare mass event in a year when coronavirus laid waste to most such sport......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsNov 30th, 2020

North Korea to defy coronavirus with huge parade

Nuclear-armed North Korea is expected to parade its latest and most advanced weapons through the streets of Pyongyang on Saturday, as the coronavirus-barricaded country celebrates the 75th anniversary of leader Kim Jong Un’s ruling party. Saturday is expected to see thousands of goose-stepping soldiers packed into Pyongyang’s Kim Il Sung Square, named for North Korea’s founder, under the gaze of his grandson Kim Jong Un ED JONES AFP/ MANILA BULLETIN South Korea’s unification minister told parliament on Thursday that a “large-scale parade” was anticipated, and satellite imagery on the respected 38North website has also suggested the cavalcade could be huge. The anniversary comes during a difficult year for North Korea as the coronavirus pandemic and recent storms add pressure to the heavily sanctioned country.  Pyongyang closed its borders eight months ago to try to protect itself from the virus — which first emerged in neighbouring China — and has still to confirm a single case of infection. Last month, troops from the North shot dead a South Korean fisheries official who had drifted into its waters, apparently as a precaution against the disease, prompting fury in Seoul and a rare apology from Kim. Nevertheless, Saturday is expected to see thousands of goose-stepping soldiers packed into Pyongyang’s Kim Il Sung Square, named for North Korea’s founder, under the gaze of his grandson, the third member of the family to rule the country. A procession of progressively larger armoured vehicles and tanks is likely to follow, culminating with whatever missiles Pyongyang wants to put on show. The North is widely believed to have continued to develop its arsenal — which it says it needs to protect itself from a US invasion — throughout nuclear negotiations with Washington, deadlocked since the collapse of a summit in Hanoi in February last year. Now analysts expect a new submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) or an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of reaching the US mainland to appear — maybe even one with multiple re-entry vehicle capabilities that could allow it to evade US defence systems. The anniversary of the Workers’ Party means North Korea “has a political and strategic need to do something bigger”, said Sung-yoon Lee, a Korean studies professor at Tufts University in the United States. Showcasing its most advanced weapons “will signal a big step forward in Pyongyang’s credible threat capabilities”, he said. But unlike on many previous occasions, no international media have been allowed in to watch the parade, and with many foreign embassies in Pyongyang closing their doors in the face of coronavirus restrictions, few outside observers will be present. It is not clear whether state broadcaster KCTV will air the event live — some past parades have not appeared on television until the following day. But the South’s government has detected signs that Kim is to give a speech at the parade, Yonhap News Agency reported Friday citing unnamed sources.  – Masks and missiles? –  At the end of December, Kim threatened to demonstrate a “new strategic weapon”, but analysts say Pyongyang will still tread carefully to avoid jeopardising its chances with Washington ahead of next month’s presidential elections. Showing off its strategic weapons in a military parade “would be consistent with what Kim Jong Un promised”, while “not provoking the US as much as a test-launch of a strategic weapon”, said former US government North Korea analyst Rachel Lee. The messaging of the parade “will be heavily domestic — on party accomplishments, unity around the leader, and improving the economy before the Eighth Party Congress”, she added, referring to a meeting of the Workers’ Party due to take place in January. But Harry Kazianis of the Center for the National Interest warned that with thousands of people involved, it could turn into a “deadly superspreader-like event” unless “extreme precautions” were used. The impoverished nation’s crumbling health system would struggle to cope with a major virus outbreak, and he added that such protective measures seemed “pretty unlikely”. “Clearly masks and missiles don’t mix.”.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 9th, 2020

Player fitness to be tested in PBA restart says Alaska owner

Any league attempting to return amidst the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic will face their own set of challenges. The PBA, in particular, has been facing numerous delays in just having the teams return to practice. Nevertheless, there is hope for a return this year in order to at least finish the stalled 2020 Philippine Cup. Once that happens however, it might take a while before we get to see something close to normal in terms of the actual basketball games. "As a defender, am I gonna get down and am I gonna get in the guys face knowning he may be asymptomatic and therefore I could get the disease?" Alaska team owner Wilfred Uytengsu said on Sports Page with veteran sportscaster Sev Sarmenta, posing a situation worth taking into consideration. "I think it's unrealistic for players to play with masks," he added. The threat of the coronavirus will always be present, especially now that a global pandemic has broke out. But as other leagues around the world like the NBA have proven, sports can still come back provided that strict health guidelines are implemented. From then on, it's just a matter of getting the players ready, which again might take a while. "The fitness levels of players will be challenged. No matter how hard you're working at home, it's not like you have your teammates to push you," Uytengsu said. "You can do as much as you can, you think you're working hard but there's no substitute to competition, even on your own team. That's true for all players for all teams. The game might be a little slower [to start]," he added.   — Follow this writer on Twitter, @paullintag8.....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 6th, 2020

Arjan Bhullar promises to be tough test for ONE heavyweight king Brandon Vera

When Filipino-American ONE Heavyweight World Champion Brandon "The Truth" Vera finally makes his return to action, it will likely come against top heavyweight contender Arjan "Singh" Bhullar.  The Indian-Canadian heavyweight, who had an impressive run in the UFC before jumping over to Asia-based ONE Championship, was impressive in his promotional debut, dominating former title contender Mauro Cerrilli en route to a unanimous decision win.  The win over Cerrilli was enough to earn Bhullar a title shot, and now, he looks to do for India what Vera did for the Philippines.  “I respect Vera for what he has accomplished in this sport. For how long he has been fighting the best, for how he has represented ONE as a champion, for what he has done for the Philippines and the Filipino people, and for what he has done for himself and his family," said Bhullar. "I want to do all of that and more for myself, for India, for Indians worldwide, and for ONE."  “Vera is a great ambassador for the sport and has treated me with the utmost respect. The feelings are mutual, until we become competitors in the Circle," Bhullar continued. Vera, who has been ONE's heavyweight king since 2015, has yet to lose in the division, and has never gone past the first round against other heavyweights as well.  As far as experience goes, Vera - who also made a name for himself in the UFC - has the distinct advantage.  “His strengths are clear. He has a tremendous amount of experience and has seen all the different looks a fighter can see in the cage. He can fight out of both stances, going forward and backward. He is well-rounded everywhere, and has excellent Muay Thai. That has allowed him to finish every single heavyweight threat he has faced,” said Bhullar. In ONE, Vera holds wins over the likes of Igor Subora, Paul Cheng, Hideki Sekine, and Cerrilli. Bhullar, a former Canadian National Wrestling Team member, is by far the toughest test tha Vera will face in ONE's heavyweight ranks.  “But none of those guys were named Arjan Singh Bhullar, nor bring what I do to the Circle," Bhullar confidently stated.  Compared to Vera, who is widely regarded as one of the faces of ONE, Bhullar is a relative unknown. If he can dethrone Vera however, it's hard to not see the 34-year old become a household name, not just in India, but in the world as well.  “I'm younger. I'm hungrier to get what I haven't yet. I have been pursuing the opportunity to be a world champion since I was in diapers. I am a lifelong athlete who still lives and breathes competition to the fullest. I don't have any other distractions or priorities in my life,” said Bhullar. Bhullar's main motivation is to be able to bring pride to India, and he's highly confident that he can get the job done against ONE's most dominant heavyweight star. “I have an entire nation and people worldwide who are supporting my quest. I have the skills that have proved problematic for Vera in his losses in the past. I have the strongest mindset to get this job done, which will carry me through the most extreme conditions. I am a winner. I am one billion strong.”      .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 5th, 2020

AgNor health workers receive boxes of face masks

BUTUAN CITY, June 10 (PIA) -- With the continuing threat posed by the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the country, the government also prioritizes every health worker's safety and protection.....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilanewsRelated NewsJun 10th, 2020

Cebu City dad wants CHED, DepEd to require students to wear face masks

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Students should be wearing masks when they go to school. This was the stand of Cebu City Councilor Jerry Guardo as the city prepares for a new normal due to the coronavirus threat. Guardo filed a resolution in the City Council urging the Department of Education (DepEd) and the Commission on […] The post Cebu City dad wants CHED, DepEd to require students to wear face masks appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 28th, 2020

China seizes over 89 million shoddy face masks

BEIJING, China – China has confiscated over 89 million poor quality face masks, a government official said Sunday, April 26, as Beijing faces a slew of complaints about faulty protective gear exported worldwide. Demand for protective equipment has soared as nations across the globe battle the deadly coronavirus , which has infected ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 26th, 2020

Protective gear supply for health workers limited – DoH

The Department of Health has said that the availability of personal protective equipment for health workers is now limited amid the threat of the Covid-19. Health Undersecretary Rolando Enrique Domingo said that supplies of PPEs are only enough for up to one or two months. PPEs include disposable face masks, gowns, and gloves. “As of […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsFeb 13th, 2020

Masks overpriced; 5 Chinese nabbed

The Manila Police District-Special Mayor’s Reaction Team have arrested five Chinese nationals in the city  for selling overpriced face masks, amid the threat of the 2019 novel coronavirus......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 3rd, 2020

Show face to cops, Muslims in Davao City ordered

DAVAO, Philippines: Women in burqas and those wearing surgical masks should refrain from concealing their faces in public, the Philippine president's mayor daughter said Thursday, describing the measure as aimed at preventing attacks. Sara Duterte, mayor .....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsSep 16th, 2016

Duterte requires local governments to buy, distribute face masks to residents

"I'm not trying to pontificate, but in the meantime, it is better to follow the government and wear a mask. It can save you a lot of trouble and expense," Duterte said in mixed Filipino and English. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 25th, 2021

Kuya Bong aids Baclaran vendors

Senator Christopher “Bong” Go personally visited street and market vendors in Parañaque City who have critical roles in providing affordable food to their communities. On Monday, 22 February, Senator Go and his team distributed meals, food packs, vitamins, masks and face shields to 619 vendors at Barangay Baclaran’s elementary school. Selected beneficiaries were given new […] The post Kuya Bong aids Baclaran vendors appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsFeb 24th, 2021

Panelo opposes Briones proposal to allow face-to-face classes

Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Secretary Salvador Panelo on Sunday opposed Education Secretary Leonor Briones after she renewed her call to allow face-to-face classes. In his daily online program, “Counterpoint”, Panelo maintained that the government should continue the implementation of distant learning amid the continued threat of the coronavirus (Covid-19). “It is fine Secretary Liling [Briones], […] The post Panelo opposes Briones proposal to allow face-to-face classes appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsFeb 21st, 2021

Kuya Bong gives assistance to Parañaque fire victims

Senator Christopher “Bong” Go on Tuesday distributed assistance to fire victims whose houses were burned down by a fire incident on 6 February in Tambo, Parañaque City. Go’s team distributed meals, cash assistance, vitamins, food packs, masks, and face shields to 22 families, comprised of 89 individuals. The distribution was held at Seaside Covered Court […] The post Kuya Bong gives assistance to Parañaque fire victims appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsFeb 11th, 2021

Party provider gives back

Show business, that is, face-to-face fun, had been gravely affected by the pandemic as party service provider Just Kiddos could attest to. Yet its owners took the challenge in character and worked to keep the happy faces in the team intact. .....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  thestandardRelated NewsFeb 10th, 2021

Cebu City police apprehend nearly 900 violators in first week of February

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City cops apprehended 867 violators, 149 of whom were minors, in the first week of February in the continuous implementation of Oplan Bulabog here. Most of the arrested individuals violated the curfew, failed to bring quarantine passes, and didn’t wear their face masks. Police Lieutenant Colonel Wilbert Parilla, deputy director […] The post Cebu City police apprehend nearly 900 violators in first week of February appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 8th, 2021

Fil-Aussie tennister faces tough task in Australian Open vs WTA No. 2 Halep

Australian-born Filipina tennister Lizette Cabrera will face an acid test in the first round of the virus-hit Australian Open as she faces WTA World No. 2 Simona Halep on Monday......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 8th, 2021

Unless alone, all vehicle occupants must wear face masks

Drivers and their passengers, even from the same household, are required to wear face masks inside private vehicles, the Departments of Transportation and of Health said yesterday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 6th, 2021