Advertisements


Don’t eat fish from Taal Lake, public told

Authorities have pushed for a temporary ban on fishing in the lake around Taal Volcano and on consuming possibly contaminated fish following the restive volcano’s ash explosion. According to Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) director Renato Solidum, fishing activity should be prohibited, especially given the evacuation implemented within the 14-kilometer danger zone around […].....»»

Category: newsSource: tempo tempoJan 14th, 2020

Public warned vs eating fish from Taal Lake

People who eat fish from the lake, which are possibly contaminated, could experience vomiting and diarrhea......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 14th, 2020

Taal fishers seek window hours to harvest, feed fish

Fishermen in Taal Lake are appealing to the government to give them “window hours” to feed and harvest fish as well as repair their fish pens......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsFeb 3rd, 2020

Philippine Embassy in Singapore not accepting donations for Taal, OFWs told

The Philippine Embassy in Singapore is informing the public that it is not authorized to accept donations for the victims of the Taal eruption......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 23rd, 2020

Fisherfolk group urges comprehensive study first amid DOH warning vs fish from Taal Lake

“A concrete study will decisively encourage and educate the affected fisherfolk and poor consumers in nearby area,” Hicap reasoned......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJan 16th, 2020

BFAR expecting the worst for aquatic life in Taal Lake

MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) is "expecting the worst" for the fish pens in Taal Lake following the eruption of the Taal Volcano. BFAR Calabarzon Regional Director Sammy Malvas said in an interview with DZMM on Tuesday, January 14, that as the volcanic ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsJan 14th, 2020

Taal Lake – another fish kill

  ANOTHER fish kill was reported in Taal Lake last Friday as thousands of milkfish and tilapia floated to the lake’s surface in fish cages off Laurel and Agoncillo, Batangas. It had been a hot day followed by heavy rains late in the afternoon. What may have killed the fish, according to the Bureau of […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  tempoRelated NewsJun 8th, 2019

Fish kill in Taal Lake should not affect tilapia market price, says BFAR

DEPLETED LEVEL of dissolved oxygen caused the recent fish kill in Taal Lake, the Bureau of Aquatic Resources (BFAR) said, but assured consumers that the volume affected is minimal and should not affect the market price of tilapia......»»

Category: financeSource:  bworldonlineRelated NewsJun 7th, 2019

Duterte nag-monitor sa fish kill sa Taal Lake

Gipalihok ni Presidente Rodrigo Duterte ang mga ahensiya sa gobyerno nga higpit nga imonitor ang sitwasyon sa fish kill sa Taal Lake sa Batangas.The post Duterte nag-monitor sa fish kill sa Taal Lake appeared first on Abante News Online......»»

Category: newsSource:  abanteRelated NewsJun 4th, 2019

Duterte to government agencies: Cushion effects of fish kill

President Duterte has ordered concerned government agencies to undertake measures that would mitigate the impact of a fish kill that hit Taal Lake in Batangas......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 4th, 2019

BFAR, DENR mas pinalakas ang pagmo-monitor ng fish kill sa Taal Lake

Laguna – Mas pinalakas pa ng Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) at ng Local Government Units sa Calabarzon ang pagbabantay sa nangyaring fish kill sa Taal […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated NewsJun 3rd, 2019

Duterte orders agencies to monitor Taal Lake fish kill, mitigate effects

Some 605 metric tons of tilapia worth around P42.9 million died after being hit by a fish kill in Taal Lake......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 3rd, 2019

Fish kill destroys ₱42.9-M tilapia in Taal Lake

Fish kill destroys ₱42.9-M tilapia in Taal Lake.....»»

Category: newsSource:  cnnphilippinesRelated NewsJun 1st, 2019

Fish kill destroys P42.9 million worth of tilapia in Batangas

Over 605 metric tons of tilapia have died after being hit by a fish kill in Taal Lake, in what the Department of Environment and Natural Resources dubbed as the worst crisis faced by the fishcage industry......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 1st, 2019

Still a bleak Christmas for fisherfolk in Lake Manint

KITCHARAO, Agusan del Norte (MindaNews /24 Dec) – Christmas remains bleak for fisherfolk living around Lake Mainit as they have yet to recover from last year’s massive fish kill. Fernan Batingue, 23, of Barangay San Roque told MindaNews they.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsDec 24th, 2016

Dismantle fish pens in Taal Lake too, Rody asked

MANILA, Philippines - Batangas Archbishop Ramon Arguelles yesterday urged President Duterte to also dismantle the fish pens in Taal Lake......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 6th, 2016

Kings Parker cleared to end self-isolation after positive test

Sacramento Kings coach Luke Walton says forward Jabari Parker has been cleared to end his self-isolation following a positive test for the coronavirus. Walton also spoke to Parker about handling himself in public after photos surfaced last week of the forward playing tennis without a mask following his positive test. Center Alex Len and guard Buddy Hield also announced they contracted the coronavirus, and Walton says all three are “doing much better” while being tested every other day. No players have told Walton they don’t want to take part as the Kings (28-36) prepare to play their final eight games in Orlando beginning at the end of this month. “This is a grown men’s league,” Walton said on a call Wednesday. “We talk to our guys but you can’t make them do anything. All we can do is encourage them to follow the guidelines that we’ve all been given: Do your best to social distance, wear a face mask when you’re out, wash your hands as often as possible, stay away from shaking hands, those type of things.” One of Walton’s top priorities now is “making sure everyone’s comfortable” — which will mean players bringing their own workout gear and leaving an extra pair of shoes that stay at the practice facility or arena......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 2nd, 2020

Judges question warrants in Kraft massage parlor sex case

By TERRY SPENCER Associated Press FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Florida appellate judges on Tuesday questioned the legality of search warrants that let police secretly video record New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft and others paying for massage parlor sex, pressing a prosecutor on his contention that the warrants were legally valid. Deputy Solicitor General Jeffrey DeSousa found himself repeatedly queried by the three-judge panel as he tried to persuade them that the warrants and searches met all constitutional protections and that they should overturn lower court rulings that barred the recordings' use at trial. Misdemeanor charges against Kraft, 79, and other customers would have to be dropped if those rulings stand, although felony charges against the spa owners might proceed as there is other evidence against them. Kraft and others were charged in February 2019 in a multi-county investigation of massage parlors that included the secret installation of video cameras in the spas' lobbies and rooms. Police say the recordings show Kraft and other men engaging in sex acts with women and paying them. Police say they twice recorded Kraft, a widower, paying for sex at the Orchids of Asia massage parlor. Kraft has pleaded not guilty but issued a public apology. Judge Robert Gross, who presided at the Florida Fourth District Court of Appeal hearing, seemed taken aback by DeSousa's contention that he and his colleagues should primarily consider the plain language of the Fourth Amendment. It says judges can issue warrants if police demonstrate probable cause of a crime, that warrants must specify the place to be searched and what can be seized. Gross told DeSousa he seemed to be ignoring numerous rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court expanding Fourth Amendment protections since the 1960s, including some that restrict electronic surveillance by police. “You are getting us off on the wrong foot by focusing on the language of the Fourth Amendment when we should be focusing on the Supreme Court jurisprudence....that is heavily weighted against you,” Gross told DeSousa. The 90-minute hearing included arguments on whether cameras were necessary; on whether the police violated the privacy of customers who simply received massages; and on the proper sanction if the defendants' rights were violated. The attorneys for Kraft and the other defendants argued that police failed to minimize the privacy violations they committed by recording innocent customers, including women, who received legal massages. “These cameras, that were put into private massage rooms where patrons would be undressing as a matter of course, they recorded everything," Kraft attorney Derek Shaffer said. He said Kraft “had the same reasonable expectation of privacy that any massage patron going to a licensed facility would be entitled.” Attorneys also argued the cameras weren't necessary as police already had enough evidence to charge the spa owners, including bank records, website advertising, outside video surveillance and napkins containing bodily fluids retrieved from garbage bins. The only proper punishment for prosecutors and police, they argued, is to throw out all recordings. DeSousa argued that police and prosecutors need the recording to convict the owners of felonies. The owners must be shown receiving payments from the prostitutes and the only way to get that is to install cameras, he said. He said detectives had to fully record all massages, because the sex acts happened at their conclusion and 95% of male customers received one. While no female customers paid for sex, they were few in number and to not record them could be seen as discriminating against men, he said. DeSousa said even if the court finds police violated innocent customers' privacy rights, the Supreme Court has ruled that in most circumstances, only improperly seized evidence should be thrown out. Since Kraft, the other men and the masseuses were engaged in crimes, their recordings should be permitted, he said. “Given the unique and difficult circumstances confronting these officers, the conspiracy, the logistics of the operation, what they reasonably anticipated they would see and the difficulty of knowing at the start of any given massage will this end with a happy ending or will it not, we think what law enforcement did here was entirely reasonable,” DeSousa said. The court usually takes weeks to issue rulings. The losing side will likely appeal to the state Supreme Court, which could accept the case or let the decision stand. If convicted, Kraft would likely receive a fine, community service and other sanctions, but he could also be suspended or otherwise punished by the National Football League......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJul 1st, 2020

Duterte: DepEd allocating P700M for internet connections of 7,000 public schools

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Education (DepEd) is allocating P700 million to provide internet service to 7,000 schools nationwide, in preparation for the country’s shift from basic education system to online learning in view of the coronavirus pandemic, President Rodrigo Duterte told Congress. According to Duterte’s 14th weekly report to Congress, which was made public on […] The post Duterte: DepEd allocating P700M for internet connections of 7,000 public schools appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 30th, 2020

Cebu City world’s longest locked down city

How many times have we been told that during this global pandemic that now is not the right time to die because you cannot have a public wake, nor a big funeral......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 29th, 2020

CCPO chief to public: Please follow guidelines

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) have one appeal to the public during this general community quarantine (GCQ) period and possible downgrade of the quarantine status of the city, and that would be to follow quarantine guidelines. Police Colonel Cydric Earl Tamayo, officer-in-charge of CCPO, told reporters in a phone interview, […] The post CCPO chief to public: Please follow guidelines appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJun 15th, 2020