Advertisements


DOH: Review of Sinovac application for vaccine trial won t stop despite Brazil suspension of study

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said the Chinese firm needs to submit an official report on the “serious adverse incident” involving a volunteer recipient, prompting Brazil’s health regulator to suspend the study of one of the most advanced vaccine candidates......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarNov 11th, 2020

Sinovac vaccine ng China wala pang 60% na epektibo, ayon sa pag-aaral sa Brazil

SAO PAULO — Mababa pa sa 60 porsyento na epektibo ang vaccine ng Sinovac Biotech ng China, ayon sa late-stage trial na isinagawa sa Brazil. Nag-partner ang Butantan biomedical center ng Sao Paolo at ang Sinovac para pag-aralan ang bakuna ng China sa Brazil at nakatakdang ilabas ang resulta ng kanilang pagsusuri ngayong Martes. Noong […] The post Sinovac vaccine ng China wala pang 60% na epektibo, ayon sa pag-aaral sa Brazil appeared first on Bandera......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 12th, 2021

DOST: Trials for China s Sinovac, Clover may start end-2020 or early 2021

The COVID-19 vaccine candidates of Sinovac Biotech Ltd. and Clover Biopharmaceuticals have passed the technical review of the vaccine expert panel for their application to conduct Phase 3 clinical trials in the Philippines......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 27th, 2020

China’s Sinovac hurdles initial stage of screening for clinical trials in Philippines

FDA Director General Eric Domingo said Sinovac has passed the review of the vaccine experts panel chaired by the Department of Science and Technology to conduct Phase 3 clinical trial in the Philippines......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 15th, 2020

Lacking submission to FDA delays review of Sinopharm COVID-19 jab

The application of Southmed Pharma, which seeks to be Sinopharm's distributor in the Philippines, lacked documents such as clinical trial results and certificate of good manufacturing practice, FDA Director General Eric Domingo said......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 3rd, 2021

LIST: Target trial sites in PH for Janssen, Clover, Sinovac vaccines

MANILA, Philippines — Three Covid-19 vaccines have been cleared so far by regulators to be tested in the Philippines through Phase 3 clinical trials— the vaccines developed by Belgium-based Janssen Pharmaceuticals and Chinese firms Clover Biopharmaceuticals and Sinovac Biotech. Under Phase 3 clinical trials, thousands of patients have to be inoculated with the candidate vaccine to test its efficacy […] The post LIST: Target trial sites in PH for Janssen, Clover, Sinovac vaccines appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 22nd, 2021

What’s behind varying efficacy data for Sinovac’s COVID vaccine?

New efficacy data from Brazil on Sinovac’s COVID-19 vaccine, for which there are now four widely different success rates, raised more questions than answers, as many developing countries pin their hopes on CoronaVac to end the pandemic. Here are potential factors contributing to CoronaVac’s varying efficacy rates and expert interpretations. How effective is CoronaVac? Researchers […] The post What’s behind varying efficacy data for Sinovac’s COVID vaccine? appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 16th, 2021

Sinovac quite cheap; stop vaccine discrimination

Sinovac quite cheap; stop vaccine discrimination.....»»

Category: entertainmentSource:  pepRelated NewsJan 13th, 2021

FDA okays Clover COVID-19 vaccine clinical trial

The Food and Drug Administration approved on Friday Clover Biopharmaceuticals’ application for its COVID-19 vaccine trial in the Philippines......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsJan 9th, 2021

FDA OKs Janssen application to hold vaccine trial in Philippines

“Out of the three applications for independent trials, we have approved one yesterday. And that’s the one by Janssen,” FDA Director General Eric Domingo said in a briefing Tuesday......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 29th, 2020

DOH defends Sinovac vaccine’s efficacy rate

The Department of Health defended Sinovac Biotech Ltd.’s coronavirus vaccine amid mounting criticism on the government’s continued keenness to buy the shot despite it only being 50% effective according to late-stage trials in Brazil......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 26th, 2020

Gov’t hit over preference for Sinovac’s ‘pasang-awa’ vaccine

(Updated) Some opposition lawmakers are questioning the government’s continued preference for Sinovac Biotech’s coronavirus vaccine, even after late-stage clinical trials in Brazil showed that its efficacy rate only stands at 50%......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 25th, 2020

AstraZeneca, Janssen, Clover Pharmaceuticals secure ethics review approval

Health Secretary Maria Rosario Vergeire on Monday said three vaccine firms for COVID-19 have already secured approval from the ethics review board — an essential requirement to be pursued before a clinical trial in the country is allowed. These were British firm AstraZeneca, Janssen by Johnson & Johnson, as well as Clover Pharmaceuticals from China. […] The post AstraZeneca, Janssen, Clover Pharmaceuticals secure ethics review approval appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsDec 7th, 2020

China firm hurdles review panel on vaccine trial

Chinese drugmaker Clover Biopharmaceuticals may soon conduct clinical trials for its COVID-19 vaccine in the country after it secured clearances from both the technical panel of vaccine experts and the ethics review board, Science Secretary Fortunato de la Peña said......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsDec 5th, 2020

Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine Now on its Second Global Phase 3 Clinical Trials

The potential vaccine developed by Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson runs the Phase 3 ENSEMBLE single dose testing and is continuing to enroll 60,000 study participants worldwide. On the other hand, Janssen has also initiated the two-dose regimen ENSEMBLE 2 trial. The ENSEMBLE is to test if the vaccine is safe and effective […].....»»

Category: lifestyleSource:  abscbnRelated NewsNov 19th, 2020

Brazil halts trials of Chinese Covid-19 vaccine

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil—Brazil’s health regulator said Monday it had suspended clinical trials of a Chinese-developed Covid-19 vaccine after an “adverse incident” involving a volunteer recipient, a blow for one of the most advanced vaccine candidates. The setback for CoronaVac, developed by Chinese pharmaceutical firm Sinovac Biotech, came on the same day US pharmaceutical giant […] The post Brazil halts trials of Chinese Covid-19 vaccine appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 10th, 2020

Sinovac submits application to conduct PH trial

Sinovac submits application to conduct PH trial.....»»

Category: newsSource:  cnnphilippinesRelated NewsOct 22nd, 2020

Rights groups slam MMDA spox for ‘drama serye’ remark on detained activist

Human rights groups slammed Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Spokesperson Celine Pialago following her “drama serye” remarks at detained activist Reina Mae Nasino who recently buried her three-month-old daughter River.  Kapatid, a support group for families and friends of political prisoners, said those who downgrade what happened to the political prisoner are only trying to “cover the government’s gross violation of human rights.”  “The story of Reina Mae Nasino and her 3-month-old child who died last week is not ‘drama-serye.’ It is a real story that exposed the countless injustices committed by the government,” it said in a statement released on Sunday.  “MMDA Chair Danny Lim, a former political prisoner himself, should have long shown the door to his spokesperson. It should be obvious by now that sensitivity cannot be taught nor proper manners and right conduct if one is empty-headed,” it added. Meanwhile, National Union of People’s Lawyers (NUPL) President Edre Olalia was more restrained, saying they would “do the same thing if she was in Ina’s position and circumstance. “To start with, we will never ever wish this horrible tragedy and injustice to visit the Asec, her mother, her daughters, her sisters and her aunts,” he said in a Facebook post. Despite having nothing to do with traffic, Pialago felt the need to “use her voice as a Filipino” to share her two cents on Nasino’s case. “Hindi lahat ng inang nakakulong ay nakapunta sa libing ng kanyang anak. Kaya yung mga sumisimpatya kay Reina Mae Nasino, pag aralan niyo mabuti ang dahilan bakit siya nakulong at kilalanin niyong mabuti kung sino siya sa lipunan (Not all jailed mothers get to visit their children’s funeral. So all of those who sympathize with Reina Mae Nasino, study well why she was imprisoned and know who she is and what her role is in society),” she said in a Facebook post on Sunday morning. “Masyado ninyong ginagawang pang drama serye sa hapon ang paghihinagpis niya. Tigilan niyo (You are trying to make her grief like an afternoon drama serye. Stop it)!” she added. Nasino was five months pregnant with River when she was arrested in November 2019 for allegedly being found with firearms and explosives at the Bagong Alyansang Makabayan Manila Office in Tondo, Manila. Her lawyers have insisted that the pieces of evidence were planted and that the charges filed against her are trumped-up. She gave birth to River on July 1 at the Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial Medical Hospital on July 1. She and her baby were returned to the Manila City Jail 48 hours later. Before this, she filed a motion before the Manila Regional Trial Court (RTC) to allow her to breastfeed her daughter for a year at the hospital or a prison nursery.  But Manila RTC Branch 20 Judge Marivic Balisi-Umali denied this, saying that the jail has “very limited resources” for the care of her child.  Nasino was also among 22 elderly and medically-compromised detainees who filed a motion for their compassionate release amid the pandemic on April 8 before the Supreme Court. But months later, the High Court ruled that the trial courts will be the ones to decide on their temporary release. On August 13, the activist-mother was ordered to turn her child over to her relatives.  River was admitted at the Philippine General Hospital for fever and diarrhea on September 24. She was placed in the intensive care unit on October 9 where she died a few hours later.  A few hours before her daughter died, Nasino filed a very urgent motion for furlough so she can be with her child in her dying moments. On October 13, Manila RTC Branch 47 Judge Paulino Gallegos granted her three full days from October 14 to 16 to be by her daughter’s side during the wake and burial.  But the next day, he cut Nasino’ furlough down to only six hours from 1 to 4 p.m. on October 14 and 16 after receiving opposition from the Manila City Jail. The Manila City Jail cited lack of personnel, health concerns, and a guideline stating that detainees can only be at their loved ones’ burial and wake for a maximum of three hours. For both the wake and the funeral, Nasino was clad in a full set of personal protective equipment, handcuffed, and flanked by numerous uniformed personnel.  Tensions rose during the wake after her escorts tried to pull her away twice before her time was up, eventually escorting her out with 20 minutes to spare before 4 p.m. On October 16, Marites Asis, Nasino’s mother, had to kneel and beg in front of the police to allow them to hold funeral at 11:30 a.m. The cops wanted to delay it until 1 p.m. Police also sped off with River’s hearse to the Manila North Cemetery, leaving her family behind and thwarting activists’ plan to conduct a caravan around the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals before burying her at the cemetery. Nasino’s counsels at NUPL earlier said that they will file charges against those involved in the activist’s treatment during her daughter’s wake and burial. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 18th, 2020

Johnson & Johnson pauses Covid vaccine trial as participant becomes ill

Washington, USA—Johnson & Johnson said Monday, October 12, 2020, it had temporarily halted its Covid-19 vaccine trial because one of its participants had become sick. “We have temporarily paused further dosing in all our Covid-19 vaccine candidate clinical trials, including the Phase 3 ENSEMBLE trial, due to an unexplained illness in a study participant,” the company […] The post Johnson & Johnson pauses Covid vaccine trial as participant becomes ill appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsOct 13th, 2020

Johnson & Johnson pauses Covid vaccine trial as participant becomes ill

Johnson & Johnson said Monday it had temporarily halted its Covid-19 vaccine trial because one of its participants had become sick. “We have temporarily paused further dosing in all our Covid-19 vaccine candidate clinical trials, including the Phase 3 ENSEMBLE trial, due to an unexplained illness in a study participant,” the company said in a […] The post Johnson & Johnson pauses Covid vaccine trial as participant becomes ill appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsOct 13th, 2020

Russia reports record virus cases but shuns new restrictions

Russia registered its highest-ever number of new coronavirus infections on Friday after officials warned that tight restrictions could be put back in place if people continued to flout restrictions. New cases in Russia have surged past the record levels seen in May Dimitar DILKOFF AFP/File/ MANILA BULLETIN Restaurants and bars in Moscow were bustling and many residents were ignoring orders to wear masks in public as nationwide infections surged in September, but officials stopped short of imposing new sweeping measures to slow the spread of the virus. European leaders across the continent are scambling to amend virus regulations against the backdrop of a surge in new cases, and even Germany, which was praised for its early handling of the pandemic, has suffered a large increase in new infections. But officials in Russia, which has the world’s fourth-highest caseload after the United States, India and Brazil, have so far dismissed the idea there is a second wave of infections or any need for a new lockdown.   A government tally registered 12,126 new cases on Friday, surpassing the country’s previous record set in May by several hundred cases. “I’m really afraid that things will go back to how they were in the spring, that everyone will be quarantined and we won’t be allowed to go to work,” Vladimir, a teacher in Saint Petersburg who declined to give his last name, told AFP.  – Training dogs to detect virus – As Russia is experiencing a surge in coronavirus cases, the country’s flagship airline Aeroflot is training sniffer dogs to detect the coronavirus by scent. Aeroflot uses a special jackal-dog hybrid called Shalaika in Russian to detect explosives. Now dog handlers say the Shalaikas — who have a powerful sense of smell — can be taught to sniff out the coronavirus. “The dog is not looking for the virus, the dog is looking for a person with signs of the disease,” Elena Batayeva, head of canine monitoring at Aeroflot, told reporters. Russia imposed one of the most severe nationwide lockdowns at the beginning of the pandemic. Non-essential businesses were shuttered and Moscow residents only permitted to move freely with official digital passes. But most restrictions were lifted ahead of a large WWII military parade in June and a nationwide vote on amendments that paved the way for President Vladimir Putin to remain in power until 2036. Officials in Moscow, which is the epicentre of Russia’s pandemic, have taken only minor steps to slow the spread of cases. Mayor Sergei Sobyanin has ordered the elderly and vulnerable to stay at home and told employers to keep at least a third of staff working remotely.  Mask-wearing is compulsory on public transport and inside shops, but some Muscovites are not convinced others are doing enough to stop the spread of infections. “The city is making the necessary decisions. But it won’t work without people responding to these measures, helping themselves and those around them,” Sobyanin said Friday. Tatyana Nemirovskaya, a 30-year-old PR specialist, told AFP that Muscovites are “definitely not” following the government’s guidelines. The head of Russia’s consumer rights watchdog, Rospotrebnadzor, which is spearheading the country’s virus response, warned this week of “new measures” if the current rules were not followed. The Kremlin said Friday that if the situation continues to deteriorate it will “require some actions, decisions”. – ‘Without masks, having fun’ – But Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov placed the blame on Russians for the surging caseload, saying it was clear that “many people don’t think it is necessary to take care of providing the safety of their health.”  Standing next to a memorial to medics who have died during the pandemic in Saint Petersburg, Stella, a resident of Russia’s second city, said people had dropped their guard after mass restrictions were lifted. “The rules were slightly eased and people calmly walked around without masks, having fun and everything began again,” she said. Russia announced in August it had registered the world’s first coronavirus vaccine, named Sputnik V after the Soviet-era satellite and a number of officials have said they volunteered for inoculation, including Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu.  Putin this week said “around 50 people” in his inner circle, including staff and family, had been vaccinated. Russia has recorded a total of 22,257 fatalities from the virus, a much lower figure compared to other badly-hit countries. Kremlin critics have suggested the authorities have downplayed the death rate to hide the severity of the outbreak......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 9th, 2020