Advertisements


Doctors at China’s virus epicentre overworked and unprotected

Tired and understaffed, medical workers have had to deal with thousands of new cases per week in Wuhan, the city at the epicentre of the outbreak that first emerged late last year. Many doctors have had to see patients without proper masks or protective body suits, resorting to reusing the same equipment when they should […] The post Doctors at China’s virus epicentre overworked and unprotected appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource: tribune tribuneFeb 14th, 2020

Students in China s virus centre Wuhan return to school

Chinese youngsters in the global virus epicentre of Wuhan filed back to class on Wednesday, wearing masks and walking in single file past thermal scanners......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsMay 6th, 2020

Wuhan exodus sparks virus hope despite mounting death toll

Thousands of relieved citizens streamed out of China's Wuhan on Wednesday after authorities lifted months of lockdown at the coronavirus epicentre, offering some hope to the world despite record deaths in Europe and the United States......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsApr 8th, 2020

5 things we still don t know about the coronavirus

PARIS, France –  Despite extensive study by doctors and scientists across the world since the new coronavirus first appeared in China three months ago, much about the scourge is still unclear. Here are 5 key questions that remain unanswered about the virus officially known as SARS-CoV-2 that leads to COVID-19. Why is ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsApr 1st, 2020

China virus epicentre eases travel restrictions after lockdown

China virus epicentre eases travel restrictions after lockdown.....»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsMar 28th, 2020

Virus whistleblower doctor punished inappropriately – Chinese probe

BEIJING, China – Police in China's virus epicenter Wuhan acted "inappropriately" by punishing a doctor who  blew the whistle on the outbreak that has now killed more than 9,000 worldwide, a Chinese government investigation found Thursday, March 19. Li Wenliang, one of a group of doctors in Wuhan who shared posts on social media warning ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsMar 19th, 2020

Global coronavirus death toll passes 3,000

The number of deaths globally in the new coronavirus outbreak passed 3,000 on Monday, as China reported 42 deaths. The latest fatalities were all in the virus epicentre Hubei province, the National Health Commission said, as it reported the lowest daily tally of fresh infections since late January. The post Global coronavirus death toll passes 3,000 appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsMar 2nd, 2020

Hospital director at China virus epicentre dies

A hospital director at the epicentre of China’s virus epidemic died Tuesday, state media said, the latest medical worker to fall victim to the new coronavirus spreading across the country. The COVID-19 virus, which is believed to have originated in Wuhan late last year, has infected more than 72,000 people and killed nearly 1,900. Liu […] The post Hospital director at China virus epicentre dies appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsFeb 18th, 2020

Chinese army to oversee virus hospital

BEIJING, China – China's army on Sunday, February 2, was given control of a nearly-finished field hospital that will treat patients at the epicentre of a deadly virus epidemic that has severely strained medical facilities. Some 1,400 military medics will treat patients at the 1,000-bed hospital, dubbed "Fire God Mountain," which will ........»»

Category: newsSource:  rapplerRelated NewsFeb 2nd, 2020

Stranded in Wuhan: foreigners raise call for help in virus epicenter

WUHAN, China:  Pregnant, newly wed and now trapped at the Chinese epicentre of a global health crisis, Thai national Aphinya is among thousands of foreigners desperate to escape — and watching helplessly as the US and Japan fly their citizens home. Hundreds were flown to safety this week to Tokyo, Singapore and California on government-chartered flights, […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsJan 31st, 2020

China virus death toll jumps to 106

The death toll from a coronavirus outbreak in China has soared to 106 while nearly 1,300 new cases have been confirmed, authorities said Tuesday. The health commission in central Hubei province, the epicentre of the epidemic, said 24 more people had died from the virus and 1,291 more people were infected, raising the total number […] The post China virus death toll jumps to 106 appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJan 28th, 2020

China virus toll rises to 54 dead, more than 300 new cases — gov’t

WUHAN, China — The number of confirmed deaths from a viral outbreak in China has risen to 54, with authorities in hard-hit Hubei province on Sunday reporting 13 more fatalities and 323 new cases. The latest numbers from Hubei, the epicentre of the contagion, would put the nationwide total of confirmed infections at 1,610, based […] The post China virus toll rises to 54 dead, more than 300 new cases — gov’t appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 26th, 2020

China confirms second virus death outside of epicentre

China on Friday confirmed a second death outside the epicentre of a SARS-like virus outbreak that has infected hundreds of people, raising the overall toll to 26 dead. Officials say 24 deaths have occurred in Hubei, the central province that is home to Wuhan, the city identified as the centre of the outbreak. The death […] The post China confirms second virus death outside of epicentre appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJan 24th, 2020

Virus death toll nearing 1 million

The death toll from the novel coronavirus is soon expected to pass the grim one-million mark since the first COVID-19 death was officially recorded in China on Jan. 11......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 25th, 2020

Whistleblower claims China produced virus

The Chinese government intentionally manufactured and released the COVID-19 virus that led to mass shutdowns and deaths across the world, a top virologist and whistleblower told Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Tuesday......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsSep 17th, 2020

SMC insures 5,000 Cebu frontliners for P2 M each

Diversified conglomerate San Miguel Corporation (SMC) has provided life insurance coverage for about 5,000 medical front liners from 18 hospitals across Cebu, insuring them for P2 million each. SMC president and chief operating officer Ramon S. Ang “We started this initiative several months ago, at the height of COVID-19 cases in Cebu, when our medical front liners there were really having a hard time,” said SMC president Ramon S. Ang. He noted that, “Many of them were also testing positive for the coronavirus. We wanted to do something to help protect them, and to show our solidarity and support for them.” With the insurance packages, obtained through Cocolife, Ang said that medical front liners in Cebu can now have added security as they save lives and fight the virus. “Saving lives is still our highest priority. Unfortunately, COVID-19 can affect anyone, even our doctors and nurses. As much as possible, we cannot lose any more lives, especially not our medical front liners, because they are the ones tasked to save lives. Through this effort, we hope they feel that their everyday sacrifices are valued and appreciated,” Ang added. Under the program, SMC paid all the premiums for the insurance of medical front liners. Thus far, SMC’s P2 million coverage-each insurance package has benefited front liners in the following Cebu hospitals: Perpetual Soccour Hospital (459), Cebu Doctors University Hospital (254), Southwestern University Medical Center (36), St. Vincent General Shopital (99), Mendero Medical Center (77), Visayas Community Medical Center (62), Adventist Hospital Cebu (189),  Chong Hua Hospital (1,303), Cebu South General Hospital (125), Cebu Velez General Hospital (143), Cebu City Medical Center (12), Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (65), Talisay District Hospital (30), Arc Hospital (44), Cebu North (91), Mactan Doctors’ Hospital (155), Allegiant Regional Care (305), Univeristy of Cebu Medical Center (278). Some 61 Infectious disease specialists and pulmonologists and hundreds of other medical workers were also provided the same insurance coverage......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 15th, 2020

Thailand Moves a Step Closer to Welcoming Back Foreign Tourists

Thailand will start issuing special visas to foreign tourists starting October, easing a more than five-month-old ban on visitors to revive the nation’s ailing tourism-reliant economy. Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-Ocha’s cabinet approved a proposal to issue visas to tourists planning to stay between 90 and 280 days in Thailand, according to government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul. The tourists will undergo a mandatory 14-day state quarantine on arrival at partner hotels or hospitals and follow health and safety regulations, she said. The government expects about 1,200 visitors to avail themselves of these visas each month, generating about 1.2 billion baht ($38.5 million) in revenue. The easing of border restrictions may boost the nation’s pandemic-battered tourism industry and cushion the blow to an economy projected to contract 8.5% this year. The news of cabinet approval for special visas triggered a rally among hotel and travel operators in Bangkok. A measure of Thai tourism and leisure stocks jumped 4.5%, the biggest gainer among the Stock Exchange of Thailand’s 28 industry groups. It was also the index’s largest increase since May 26. While Hotel operators Erawan Group Pcl and Central Plaza Hotel Pcl surged more than 8%, Minor International Pcl advanced 5.5%. Thailand’s tourism and hospitality sectors are counting on the return of international visitors, who contributed to two-thirds of tourism income before the pandemic, to reverse the slump in businesses and save millions of jobs. A government campaign to boost travel by locals through hotel and air travel concessions has failed to make up for the slump in earnings, but the move to allow foreigners in small batches will still be a relief to the industry. “There will not be a huge economic impact from this as it still can’t compensate for the revenue lost, but it will help,” Somprawin Manprasert, chief economist at Bank of Ayudhya Pcl said. “This plan still targets a higher-spending group of foreign visitors which will not benefit tourism industry operators that have lower to mid-price points, who will still suffer.” The move to relax curbs on foreign tourists also follows Thailand’s relative success in containing the coronavirus outbreak. The nation went without a local transmission for 100 days before the virus-free run was ended early this month. Though Thailand was the first country outside China to report the deadly virus, its cumulative cases stand at 3,480 with most patients already discharged from hospitals. The reopening to foreign tourists may be risky, but it is a manageable risk worth taking, Bank of Thailand’s Senior Director Don Nakornthab wrote in an article on the central bank’s website. The country may be headed for a second straight year of contraction in 2021 if it continued to restrict foreign visitor arrivals, Don wrote......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 15th, 2020

NoKor inutos shoot-to-kill kontra virus

Naglabas umano ng shoot to kill order si North Korean leader Kim Jong-un upang maiwasan umano ang pagpasok ng coronavirus sa kanilang bansa mula sa China, ayon sa commander ng US forces sa Korea. The post NoKor inutos shoot-to-kill kontra virus first appeared on Abante......»»

Category: newsSource:  abanteRelated NewsSep 12th, 2020

& lsquo;Nokor issues shoot-to-kill orders to prevent virus& rsquo;

North Korean authorities have issued shoot-to-kill orders to prevent the coronavirus entering the country from China, according to the commander of US forces in the South......»»

Category: lifestyleSource:  abscbnRelated NewsSep 11th, 2020

Fighting virus fatigue

When the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 as a global pandemic in March 13 this year, China was already preparing to lift lockdown restrictions in Wuhan where the contagious virus first appeared in December 2019......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsSep 3rd, 2020

HK starts mass virus tests undermined by distrust of China

Hong Kong launched a mass coronavirus testing scheme on Tuesday, but calls for millions to take up the offer have been undermined by deep distrust of the government following China’s crushing of the city’s democracy movement. The free voluntary tests are part of an attempt to stamp out a third wave of infections that began in late […] The post HK starts mass virus tests undermined by distrust of China appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsSep 1st, 2020