Advertisements


Declining COVID-19 cases to lower risk classification

The current downtrend in COVID-19 cases nationwide might lower the risk classification from high to moderate in the coming weeks, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said in a report to President Duterte during the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases meeting at Malacañang on Wednesday......»»

Category: newsSource: philstar philstarMay 6th, 2021

NCR Plus tallies lower cases; quarantine curbs seen easing

Quarantine restrictions in Metro Manila and its four neighboring provinces are likely to be further relaxed due to the declining number of COVID-19 cases, the Palace said Thursday......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsMay 28th, 2021

Valenzuela to comply with new method of classifying COVID-19 recoveries

The Valenzuela city government will comply with the Department of Health’s (DOH) new method of classifying coronavirus disease (COVID-19) recoveries. The recommendation to implement the “time-based reckoning of recoveries of mild and asymptomatic patients” was approved by the Inter-Agency Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) on July 30 in its 60th resolution. With the new classification, probable, suspect, and confirmed COVID-19 patients will no longer have to undergo a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test before they are considered recovered, according to an announcement issued by the Valenzuela city government Saturday night. Symptomatic patients who no longer display symptoms after three or more days and who have been in isolation for at least 14 days will be considered recovered, even without undergoing a PCR test. Meanwhile, asymptomatic patients who did not display symptoms after 14 days in isolation will also be considered recovered despite not undergoing another PCR test. They will only need a doctor’s certification before being allowed to return to their communities. The new method was introduced as the DOH reported a record-high 38,075 COVID-19 recoveries in a single day, cutting the country’s active cases by over a half. The practice is in accordance with the World Health Organization’s (WHO) recommendation for a “symptoms-based strategy” in releasing COVID-19 patients from quarantine, which it has been pushing for since May. The health department said there is evidence that patients have a low risk of infecting others at the 10th day of illness. There are also challenges in conducting repeat tests, such as limited laboratory supplies and equipment, the WHO said......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsAug 2nd, 2020

WHO warns of drawn out pandemic as South Africa cases top 500,000

The UN health agency warned that the coronavirus pandemic would be lengthy and could lead to “response fatigue”, as the case count in South Africa topped half a million. Although many Latin American countries have begun relaxing stay-at-home measures, the virus is still spreading quickly across much of the region Six months after the World Health Organization declared a global emergency, the novel coronavirus has killed more than 680,000 people and infected more than 17.5 million, according to an AFP tally. South Africa is by far the hardest hit country in Africa, accounting for more than half of diagnosed infections, although President Cyril Ramaphosa said the fatality rate is lower than the global average. Health authorities had been expecting a surge in cases after the gradual loosening of a strict lockdown that was imposed at the end of March. Nigeria on Saturday also announced it would ease a lockdown in the commercial capital Lagos, allowing churches and mosques to reopen next week.  An emergency WHO committee reviewing the pandemic “highlighted the anticipated lengthy duration of this COVID-19 outbreak, noting the importance of sustained community, national, regional, and global response efforts”. “WHO continues to assess the global risk level of COVID-19 to be very high,” it said in its latest statement. The agency also said the effects of the pandemic “will be felt for decades to come”. Mexico overtook Britain to become the third hardest hit country in virus deaths — after Brazil and the United States — with more than 46,600 fatal cases. Although many Latin American countries have begun relaxing stay-at-home measures, the virus is still spreading quickly across much of the region, which has now recorded more than four million cases and almost 200,000 deaths. Half of them are in Brazil, where President Jair Bolsonaro said he believes “nearly everyone” will catch the virus eventually, after himself recovering from it. The US, the hardest-hit country in the world, has now tallied more than 4.6 million cases and 154,319 deaths. Vaccine race The outlook was bleak in Asia as well, where India and the Philippines reported record increases in new daily infections. “We are waging a losing battle against COVID-19, and we need to draw up a consolidated, definitive plan of action,” said an open letter signed by 80 Filipino medical associations. Japan’s Okinawa declared a state of emergency after a record jump in cases on the islands — many linked to US military forces stationed there. The pandemic has spurred a race for a vaccine with several Chinese companies at the forefront, while Russia has set a target date of September to roll out its own medicine. However, US infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci said it was unlikely his country would use any vaccine developed in either nation. “I do hope that the Chinese and the Russians are actually testing the vaccine before they are administering the vaccine to anyone,” he said. As part of its “Operation Warp Speed”, the US government will pay pharmaceutical giants Sanofi and GSK up to $2.1 billion for the development of a COVID-19 vaccine, the companies said. ‘Day of freedom’ France, Spain, Portugal and Italy all reported huge contractions in their economies for the April-June quarter, while Europe as a whole saw gross domestic product fall by 12.1 percent.  Daily case numbers in Switzerland have crept up again in recent weeks, while Norway recorded its first virus death in two weeks. At least 36 crew members confined to a Norwegian cruise ship have tested positive for the new coronavirus, the operator Hurtigruten said on Saturday.  Despite the resurgence in cases, there have been demonstrations in Europe against the curbs.  Thousands protested in Berlin on Saturday urging “a day of freedom” from the restrictions, with some demonstrators dubbing the pandemic “the biggest conspiracy theory”. In South Korea, the elderly leader of a secretive sect at the centre of the country’s early coronavirus outbreak was arrested for allegedly hindering the government’s effort to contain the epidemic. People linked to Lee Man-hee’s Shincheonji Church of Jesus accounted for more than half of the South’s coronavirus cases in February and March, but the country has since appeared to have brought the virus under control. The pandemic has also continued to cause mayhem in the travel and tourism sectors, with more airlines announcing mass job cuts. Latin America’s biggest airline, the Brazilian-Chilean group LATAM, said it would lay off least 2,700 crew, and British Airways pilots overwhelmingly voted to accept a deal cutting wages by 20 percent, with 270 jobs lost......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsAug 2nd, 2020

DepEd urged: Use classrooms as isolation facilities

League of Provinces of the Philippines president and Marinduque Governor Presbitero Velasco Jr. on Sunday has urged the Department of Education (DepEd) to use classrooms from lower-ranked provinces as temporary isolation facilities. Velasco stressed that lower-ranked provinces have not enough isolation facilities for their coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases and funds are also not enough […] The post DepEd urged: Use classrooms as isolation facilities appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsJun 13th, 2021

PNP checkpoints to remain amid possible easing of restrictions

“We guarantee that the PNP will maintain heightened measures on border control points," Eleazar said, pointing to the increase in the number of COVID-19 cases in other regions besides NCR. "We are trying to prevent the virus from spreading again even in areas that can be considered low-risk areas today.".....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 13th, 2021

EDITORIAL - Border control

With 6,686 new COVID-19 cases nationwide as of last Friday and 196 more people succumbing to the disease, SARS-CoV-2 and its variants remain a serious health risk in this country......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsJun 12th, 2021

DOH: NCR hospitals at low-risk for COVID cases

DOH: NCR hospitals at low-risk for COVID cases.....»»

Category: newsSource:  cnnphilippinesRelated NewsJun 7th, 2021

Lapu’s COVID-19 Update: Active cases drop to more than half in April

MANDAUE CITY, Cebu – Active cases of the coronavirus disease in Lapu-Lapu City continues to be on a downtrend. Nagiel Bañacia, head of the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (DRMMO), said they expect the downtrend to continue in the coming days as a result of the summer break. “Infection rate is going down because […] The post Lapu’s COVID-19 Update: Active cases drop to more than half in April appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 10th, 2021

US COVID cases declining again

The rate of new COVID cases is declining in the United States, with the most recent seven-day averages dipping below the 60,000 mark for the first time in over a month as experts hailed the impact of vaccines......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsApr 27th, 2021

More COVID-19 vaccines to be distributed to LGUs starting April 25 — DOH

MANILA, Philippines —  More COVID-19 vaccines will be distributed to local government units (LGUs) starting Sunday, April 25, as local executives worry about declining vaccine supplies in their respective areas. Health Undersecretary Ma. Rosario Vergeire said the priority in the vaccine distribution will be given to areas with a high number of COVID-19 cases. “Ang […] The post More COVID-19 vaccines to be distributed to LGUs starting April 25 — DOH appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsApr 24th, 2021

Daily COVID-19 cases in NCR declining, says DOH

The average number of daily COVID-19 cases in the National Capital Region is now on the decline, according to the Department of Health ......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsApr 24th, 2021

Lapu-Lapu records over 2K COVID cases in less than 3 months – Bañacia

MANDAUE CITY, Cebu – Lapu-Lapu City logged a total of 2, 660 cases of the coronavirus disease from March 1 to December 31, 2020. This year, the city logged 2, 608 cases in less than three months, from January 1 to March 21. Nagiel Bañacia, head of the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, said […] The post Lapu-Lapu records over 2K COVID cases in less than 3 months – Bañacia appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 24th, 2021

Philippines risks double-dip recession

The renewed tighter restrictions in the capital due to surging COVID-19 cases may put the Philippine economy at risk of a double-dip recession, a global think tank said, but the government maintained that the economy remains on track for recovery and growth......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 23rd, 2021

CBCP: No processions this Holy Week

Just like last year, the Catholic Church has decided to forgo some religious activities for the Holy Week as the resurgence in COVID-19 cases in the country exposes the faithful to greater risk of infection......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 20th, 2021

& lsquo;PH suffers major setback& rsquo;

A former Health secretary said the surge in coronavirus cases has set the country “10 steps back from square one,” as some Metro Manila hospitals have filled up 80 to 85 percent of their COVID-19 bed capacity, putting them in the “high risk” category......»»

Category: newsSource:  thestandardRelated NewsMar 19th, 2021

Palace confident IATF strategies can address rise in COVID-19 cases

"We can lower that number because we already learned from last year that it is important to take care of our lives so we can work," the Palace spokesman said......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMar 16th, 2021

Cebu City EOC Strengthens COVID-19 Response

The Cebu City Emergency Operations Center (EOC) strengthens their COVID-19 response by adding personnel and resources to their arsenal. The recent rise on COVID-19 cases is also one of the top reasons why the city’s EOC decided to improve their response. Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO) extraction team head Harold Alcontin revealed […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 16th, 2021

Cebu City Reimposes Liquor Ban Amid Rising COVID-19 Cases in 2021

Cebu City Mayor Edgar Labella signed Executive Order (EO) No. 117 which subjects whole Cebu City to a liquor ban. This comes as coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases in the city continues to sharply rise since the start of 2021, which places the city at risk of having another lockdown that will deal great damage […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  metrocebuRelated NewsFeb 2nd, 2021

Lapu CDRRMO chief admits failure to control spread of COVID-19

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Cebu—The head of the Lapu-Lapu City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) has admitted failure in controlling the spread of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) here. Nagiel Bañacia, CDRRMO head, said that they have failed amidst the rise of the newly reported cases of the COVID-19 in the city. Based on the […] The post Lapu CDRRMO chief admits failure to control spread of COVID-19 appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 1st, 2021

Sinulog ritual showdown postponed

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Sinulog Foundation Incorporated (SFI) has decided to postpone the ritual showdown for Sinulog 2021. Cebu City Vice Mayor Michael Rama said the rising COVID-19 cases in the city have placed the lives of the public at a greater risk than before including the participants. The city currently has 277 active […] The post Sinulog ritual showdown postponed appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 10th, 2021