Advertisements


We are sorry, the requested page does not exist




MLB: Players want more games, no more salary cuts

By RONALD BLUM AP Baseball Writer NEW YORK (AP) — Baseball players appeared likely to propose increasing the number of regular-season games this year while holding to their demand for full prorated salaries, people familiar with their deliberations told The Associated Press. A day after Major League Baseball proposed a sliding scale of salary slashing for a pandemic-delayed season in ballparks without fans, the union held a conference call that included its executive board, player representatives and alternate player representatives, the people said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because no details were announced. One of the people said many players were angered by the proposal teams made Tuesday. It was unclear when the union will respond to MLB's plan, the people said. Stars Mike Trout and Gerrit Cole would lose the most under MLB's plan, about 77% of the $36 million each they were set to be paid this season. In all, there are 133 players whose contracts call for salaries of $10 million or more, not including shares of signing bonuses. A big leaguer earning $1 million or less would keep at least 43% of his salary under the six-tier scale. That includes a share of $200 million earmarked for players that is contingent on the postseason being completed. About 460 of approximately 900 players on rosters and injured lists when spring training was stopped in mid-March due to the new coronavirus make $1 million or less. Trout and Cole would be cut to about $8 million each. Colorado’s Nolan Arenado would drop from $35 million to $7.84 million. “Interesting strategy of making the best most marketable players potentially look like the bad guys,” Milwaukee pitcher Brett Anderson tweeted. The players’ association called the proposal “extremely disappointing.” The union has argued players already accepted a cut to prorated shares of their salaries in a March 26 agreement and should not have to bargain again. MLB would like to start the season around the Fourth of July in empty ballparks and proposed an 82-game regular-season schedule. It claims teams would lose billions of dollars by playing with no ticket money and gate-related revenue. “This season is not looking promising,” New York Mets pitcher Marcus Stroman tweeted. “Keeping the mind and body ready regardless.” Union head Tony Clark has not commented publicly on MLB’s proposal and has said very little publicly since late March. Agent Scott Boras has repeatedly criticized MLB for proposing more salary reductions and has questioned the accuracy of management’s financial claims. “Hearing a LOT of rumors about a certain player agent meddling in MLBPA affairs,” Cincinnati pitcher Trevor Bauer tweeted Wednesday. “If true — and at this point, these are only rumors — I have one thing to say... Scott Boras, rep your clients however you want to, but keep your damn personal agenda out of union business.” Boras did not respond to a request for comment on Bauer’s remarks. “Working together to manage the public health issue has brought great solidarity among the players,” Boras said earlier in the day. “They are a strong united front and resolute in their support of the MLBPA.” A season with more games would lead to players earning a higher percentage of their original salaries. MLB says that without fans each additional game would result in a $640,000 loss. Brewers chairman Mark Attanasio told the Greater Milwaukee Committee on Tuesday “the be-careful-what-you-wish-for part is hours every day.” “It’s got to come together very quickly or we won’t be able to, we will just run out of time," he said. “To pay players at a full contract rate, pretty much 90% of that would go to pay them and wouldn’t cover any other costs.” Details of the plan have been disclosed to the AP by several people familiar with the proposal. They spoke on condition of anonymity because details had not been announced. MLB’s proposal says that within 48 hours of the ratification of an agreement for player compensation terms and health and safety protocols, the commissioner’s office would announce a proposed timeline for the resumption of the season. The resumption would include a training period of at least 21 days, and each team would be allowed a maximum of three exhibition games, all in the final seven days of the training period. Opening day would be in early July, and the final scheduled regular-season game would be no later than Sept. 27 — the same as in the original 2020 schedule. Issues such as roster size, trade deadlines, series length and treatment of the luxury tax would be delegated to a subcommittee. ___ AP Sports Writer Steve Megargee in Milwaukee contributed to this report......»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 28th, 2020

PH jobless rate worst in emerging Asia

Despite an easing in the March unemployment rate, the Philippines remained the worst job market in emerging Asia with the biggest share of the unemployed to the labor force, a report of the state planning agency National Economic and Development Authority (Neda) showed. While the 7.1-percent jobless rate posted in March was the lowest since […] The post PH jobless rate worst in emerging Asia appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 24th, 2021

Cebu City’s critical care hospital occupancy rate drops to 8.9 %

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City’s Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) situation continues to improve with the health care system finally feeling the improvement. For the first time since the peak of the pandemic, the city’s critical care hospital occupancy rate has dropped to 8.9 percent, after weeks of continuous drops in new cases. This means […] The post Cebu City’s critical care hospital occupancy rate drops to 8.9 % appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 12th, 2021

Lapu’s COVID-19 Update: Active cases drop to more than half in April

MANDAUE CITY, Cebu – Active cases of the coronavirus disease in Lapu-Lapu City continues to be on a downtrend. Nagiel Bañacia, head of the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (DRMMO), said they expect the downtrend to continue in the coming days as a result of the summer break. “Infection rate is going down because […] The post Lapu’s COVID-19 Update: Active cases drop to more than half in April appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 10th, 2021

Cebu City sees decrease in positivity rate, hospital occupancy

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City is seeing a further improvement of its Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) situation with the decrease in the positivity rate and hospital occupancy. The Emergency Operations Center (EOC) has reported a decrease of half in the daily positivity rate, which now stands at 6.71 percent since only 57 out of […] The post Cebu City sees decrease in positivity rate, hospital occupancy appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMar 31st, 2021

Mild symptomatics and asymptomatics told: Choose isolation centers over hospitals

CEBU CITY, Philippines —  The continuous rise in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases in the city is alarming the Cebu City Emergency Operations Center (EOC) not because there has been a rise in critical cases, but because there has been a rise in hospital occupancy. The occupancy rate is now almost 50 percent in […] The post Mild symptomatics and asymptomatics told: Choose isolation centers over hospitals appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 24th, 2021

More asymptomatic patients in hospitals prompt DOH-7’s call for more ‘hotel-isolation’ rooms

  CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Department of Health in Central Visayas (DOH-7) is pushing for more hotels here to house asymptomatic patients if it means preventing the hospitals from being overwhelmed by patients. DOH-7 on Monday, February 22, announced they registered a slight increase in the critical care utilization rate of public and private […] The post More asymptomatic patients in hospitals prompt DOH-7’s call for more ‘hotel-isolation’ rooms appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 22nd, 2021

Cebu becomes 1st province to drop RT-PCR results as requirements for incoming local tourists

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Cebu Provincial government has officially dropped real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) results as requirements for incoming domestic tourists. This as Governor Gwendolyn Garcia on February 22 signed and issued Executive Order (EO) No. 12 easing travel restrictions for persons traveling to the province of Cebu to engage in tourism-related activities.  […] The post Cebu becomes 1st province to drop RT-PCR results as requirements for incoming local tourists appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsFeb 22nd, 2021

Local variant may cause Cebu spike

Positivity rate in Cebu City is 7 percent over the past week, only hospital occupancy is low at 30 percent. The post Local variant may cause Cebu spike appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsFeb 3rd, 2021

Sto. Niño vendors report losses following transfer to Compania Maritima

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Sto. Niño vendors have been reporting scant sales after they have been transferred to the Compania Maritima grounds for the 2021 Sinulog season. The vendors are expected to stay there until the Quincentennial Anniversary for the arrival of Christianity in April 2021, and this has worried many of them since they […] The post Sto. Niño vendors report losses following transfer to Compania Maritima appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 15th, 2021

Doctors group in Cebu opposes Sinulog 2021

CEBU CITY, Philippines – A group of doctors in Cebu expressed opposition to the holding of the Sinulog Festival 2021 and other related activities. Cebu Medical Society Inc., in a statement issued on Wednesday, January 6, said that “public health and safety should be of utmost priority” while the battle against the coronavirus disease 2019 […] The post Doctors group in Cebu opposes Sinulog 2021 appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 7th, 2021

DOH records 50 firework-related injuries, but notes 85% drop compared last year

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) on Friday noted that there were 50 firework-related injuries in relation to the New Year revelries, but noted that this number was 85 percent lower compared to last year’s record. In a press briefing at the East Avenue Memorial Medical Center in Quezon City, Health Secretary Francisco […] The post DOH records 50 firework-related injuries, but notes 85% drop compared last year appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJan 1st, 2021

Latin America to bear worst impact from coronavirus: World Bank

Latin America and the Caribbean will suffer the worst economic and health impact from the coronavirus, the World Bank said Friday, forecasting a nearly 8.0 percent drop in regional GDP. “Our region is suffering the worst economic and health impacts of Covid-19 of anywhere in the world,” according to Carlos Felipe Jaramillo, the Bank’s regional vice president. He said the findings in the report “calls for clarity on how to combat the pandemic and put the economies back on track for a swift recovery.”  In its report, “The Cost of Staying Healthy” the Bank addresses the impact of the pandemic in a region with with high Covid-19 mortality and infection rates such as Brazil, Mexico and Peru. “The number of deaths per million people is as high as in advanced economies, if not more, but the resources available to counter the shock are much more constrained,” it said.  The bank forecasts a recovery with growth of 4.0 percent in 2021. The report forecasts a region-wide 7.9 percent drop in GDP, a slightly more negative outlook for 2020 than its last assessment in June of a likely 7.2 percent contraction. Crisis-wracked Venezuela — in acute recession for several years and with a government that at least 50 countries refuse to recognize — is not taken into account in the figures. The Covid-related economic crisis follows “several years of disappointing economic growth and limited progress on social indicators, and right after a wave of social unrest,” the report said. “The social damage is immense” the institution warned, adding that unemployment rates had soared across the region, “sometimes substantially.”  Surveys conducted in 13 countries in the region showed that the share of households suffering a decline in income is higher than the share experiencing job losses, it said. The findings suggest that “the impact of the crisis is not only severe but also potentially long-lasting.”.....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 9th, 2020

Cebu City may be on its way to recovery, says Cimatu

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Cebu City couldn’t be considered the epicenter for the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the country as Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu, the overseer of the Interagency Task Force (IATF), noted the drop in new cases, and death rate four days since the city was downgraded to General Community Quarantine (GCQ). The IATF […] The post Cebu City may be on its way to recovery, says Cimatu appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 4th, 2020

Hotel rates seen to drop by 30%

Average daily rates of hotels in Metro Manila are expected to drop by 30 percent by the end of the year due to lower occupancy levels as the leisure sector continues to feel the impact of the pandemic,Colliers International Philippines said......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated NewsJul 31st, 2020

Experts: Cebu on its way flattening the curve but…

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Experts from the academe have noted a decrease in Cebu island’s coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) transmission rate. In its 12th coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) forecast report dated July 16, 2020, the OCTA Research team said they observed a downtrend in the number of new COVID-19 cases in Cebu. It was penned […] The post Experts: Cebu on its way flattening the curve but… appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsJul 19th, 2020

Cebu Covid-related deaths mostly unvaxed

In terms of doses administered, Cebu City leads with 377,652 doses, Mandaue with 225,583 doses and Lapu-Lapu with 182,437 doses......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsAug 22nd, 2021

OCTA: Two-week ECQ effective but sustained efforts needed

"While new cases are still increasing, the decreasing growth rate is consistent with a decreasing reproduction number. In other words, the surge has slowed down in the National Capital Region," the monitoring report published Sunday read. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsAug 22nd, 2021

Ex-commissioner to Duterte: COA loves you, but this is not a cheering squad

MANILA, Philippines — While the Commission on Audit (COA) “loves” President Rodrigo Duterte, it is not in a cheering squad. Former COA commissioner Heidi Mendoza had this to say Tuesday after the agency received a verbal flogging from Duterte following the release of a report that found deficiencies in the Department of Health’s (DOH) use […] The post Ex-commissioner to Duterte: COA loves you, but this is not a cheering squad appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 18th, 2021

CIDG-7 asks public to report selling of vaccination slots and cards

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The top official of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG-7) is reminding the public to not hesitate in reporting the selling of vaccination slots and cards to the agency. Police Colonel Ireneo Dalogdog, chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG-7), said this following reports they received about personnel […] The post CIDG-7 asks public to report selling of vaccination slots and cards appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsAug 16th, 2021