Advertisements


Carrasco wants to be POC chairman

Triathlon chief Tom Carrasco is once again seeking the chairmanship of the Philippine Olympic Committee......»»

Category: sportsSource: thestandard thestandardSep 28th, 2020

Alvin Aguilar appeals for more events

Wrestling Association of the Philippines (WAP) president Alvin Aguilar said yesterday he has been referred by POC president Ricky Vargas to appeal to POC chairman Rep. Bambol Tolentino, SEAG Federation Sports and Rules Committee chairman Tom Carrasco and SEAG Federation Executive Committre chairman Cito Dayrit in adding more events for his sport in the coming SEA Games......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsMay 22nd, 2019

Pagsasampa ng kaso sa mga opisyal ng PhilHealth pinag-aaralan ng mga kongresista

  Pinag-aaralan na ng ilang mga kongresista ang paghahain ng kaso laban sa mga opisyal ng Philippine Health Insurance Corporation may kaugnayan sa mga katiwalian sa ahensya. Ayon kay House Committee on Public Accounts Chairman at Anakalusugan Rep. Mike Defensor, maaaring magdesisyon ang mga kongresista na sampahan ng kaso sa kanilang personal na kapasidad ang […] The post Pagsasampa ng kaso sa mga opisyal ng PhilHealth pinag-aaralan ng mga kongresista appeared first on Bandera......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated News58 min. ago

TYKFI food security project brings livelihood to Pinoys

Dr. Lucio Tan, chairman and president of the Tan Yan Kee Foundation Inc., is pushing for a stronger agricultural production program in line with the government’s goal of boosting food security and livelihood amidst growing global concern over poverty and food scarcity......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated News1 hr. 40 min. ago

Pichay gets 8 years over P1.5 million graft

Surigao del Sur first district Rep. Prospero Pichay Jr. may spend up to eight years in prison over the anomalous sponsorship of a chess tournament when he was chairman of the Local Water Utilities Administration in 2010......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated News14 hr. 57 min. ago

Dev’t program for Filipino teachers in Cambodia launched

To help more than 1,000 Filipinos working as teachers in Cambodia, the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and the Philippine Embassy in Phnom Penh have launched a development program to enhance their competencies and ensure high salaries. CHED Chairman J. Prospero de Vera III and Chargé d’Affaires Myca Magnolia signed last Friday a Memorandum of Cooperation to introduce the “Developing Global Filipino Teachers” program which aims to equip, capacitate, and enhance competencies of the 1,152 Filipino teachers in Cambodia. According to De Vera, the embassy alerted the commission last year on the plight of these Filipinos working as teachers in Cambodia as the majority of them are not licensed to teach due to lack of proper credentials. The CHED partnered with some universities, including St. Paul University, Cebu Normal University, and the Philippine Normal University, which are centers of excellence in teacher education, for the realization of professionalization of some of the OFWs who are not licensed professional teachers. “We cannot emphasize the importance of higher education in playing a critical role in the development of our citizens here and abroad. This memorandum of cooperation produces better collaboration and easier grasp of the problem at hand,” De Vera said. “The solution is now within our reach, thanks to the Developing Global Filipino Teachers program,” he added. Under the memorandum, those who are qualified for the program include professionals who are not graduates of the teacher education program who intend to take the Philippine Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET); in-service teachers who want to enhance their competencies and their impact in the classroom and beyond to understand global issues; graduates of education program but have not passed the Philippine LET; and those Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). “This program is one of the manifestations of the Filipino ‘bayanihan’ spirit driving the Philippine higher education during this COVID-19 crisis. We grappled with the pandemic individually but we will conquer it together as one,” the CHED chief added......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated News15 hr. 40 min. ago

Bong Go: COVID-19 vaccine tiyaking ligtas, epektibo

Manila, Philippines – Ipinatitiyak ni Senate committee on health chairman Senator Christopher “Bong” Go sa mga kinauukulan na ligtas at epektibo ang COVID-19 vaccine na gagamitin sa bansa, kasabay ng pagpapaalala na hindi ito dapat madaliin. “Ang importante ay maging safe po ito (COVID-19 vaccine) para sa ating mga kababayan,” ani Go sa pagsasabing kinakailangan […] The post Bong Go: COVID-19 vaccine tiyaking ligtas, epektibo appeared first on REMATE ONLINE......»»

Category: newsSource:  remateRelated News15 hr. 57 min. ago

Carmen Tan named LT Group vice chair

LT Group Inc. has appointed Carmen Tan as its vice chairman, a year after restoring the position previously held by taipan Lucio Tan’s brother Harry......»»

Category: financeSource:  philstarRelated News18 hr. 40 min. ago

Digitalization needed under new normal – ABAC

The APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) Business Advisory Council (ABAC) on Wednesday pushed for closer coordination between the public and private sectors, and a digital approach toward economic recovery and resilience under the new normal. During the online ABAC PH Forum on Digital Innovation, ABAC Philippines Chairman Tomas Alcantara said that while the coronavirus pandemic forced […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  manilatimes_netRelated NewsOct 23rd, 2020

Lacson frowns at ‘pork hunter’ tag

Sen. Panfilo M. Lacson, a staunch anti-pork barrel advocate, does not like the name ‘’pork hunter’’ ascribed to him. Senator Panfilo M. Lacson (SENATE OF THE PHILIPPINES / MANILA BULLETIN FILE PHOTO) ‘’I don’t like it. I’m just doing my job,’’ Lacson said as he disagreed with Senate President Vicente C. Sotto III who had presumed ‘’regularity’’ on the “institutional amendments’’ by the House of Representatives (HoR) on the proposed 2021 General Appropriations Bill (GAB or national budget) after the House recently passed the measure on third and final reading. Lacson and Senate Minority Leader Franklin M. Drilon had cited some P326 billion ‘’lump sum’’ appropriations tucked in the proposed P666-billion budget of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH). Both cited a Supreme Court decision that lump sum appropriations are unconstitutional. Lump sum appropriations are suspected as ‘’pork barrel’’ appropriations. Lacson has been on the prowl every budget season, picking out suspected pork barrel appropriations in the GAB. The Senate is expected to receive from the House a soft copy of the budget on Oct. 28. Asked during an ANC interview if he believes a statement of Speaker Lord Allan Velasco that there is no pork in the GAB, only institutional amendments, Lacson replied: ‘’We have yet to see the transmitted copy of the GAB as approved on third and final reading, as transmitted to the Senate.’’ ‘’Until we see that, we cannot really tell or say if there’s pork or not in the House of Representatives version of the budget.’’ On a query whether amending budget after third and final reading is unconstitutional, Lacson said: ‘’That is clearly unconstitutional.’’ ‘’It’s very clear, there’s no other interpretation in that provision under the Constitution that after the third and final reading of any bill, including the GAB, no amendment shall be allowed thereto,’’ he said. ‘’I don’t see any other interpretation of that particular provision. So since they already passed on third reading the HoR version of the GAB, I see no reason why they will allow a small committee to introduce further amendments. Based on what I heard from Rep. Eric Yap, the Appropriations committee chairman, he said the amendments will not be coming from the congressmen but from the agencies,’’ he stated. ‘’Again, that’s another violation. We have a four-phase budget process. Budget preparation, authorization, execution, and accountability. We are now in the authorization phase. And only the Congress of the Philippines is allowed to participate in the authorization phase. Tapos na ang sa (the) Executive department (has completed its job in the) preparation phase. Ang execution, after napirmahan ng Presidente ang enrolled bill and when DBM starts disbursing allocations, doon mag-start ang execution. So agencies under the Executive branch cannot be allowed to participate in the authorization phase of the budget process. Sotto had said that he would presume regularity after the House made institutional amendments worth P20 billion, including P5.5 billion, for COVID-19 vaccines. Lacson stressed that amendments to the budget by the House small committee is unconstitutional. ‘’To say there’s presumption of regularity, I think it’s misplaced. If that is the output of the small committee and they will include these amendments in the USB drive they will transmit to us on Oct. 28, then we cannot presume regularity, with all due respect to my Senate President…because if it is based on an unconstitutional act, I cannot presume regularity,’’ he added......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 22nd, 2020

POGO workers sa Subic balik Tsina

SUBIC BAY FREEPORT — Biglaan ang pagbaba ng bilang ng mga trabahador na Chinese dito sa premiyadong freeport, lalo na ‘yung mga nagtatrabaho sa industriya ng Philippine Offshore Gaming Operation (POGO). Ayon kay Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) Chairman and Administrator Wilma T. Eisma, ang bilang ng mga Chinese workers na kasalukuyang naririto ay nasa […] The post POGO workers sa Subic balik Tsina appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsOct 22nd, 2020

TFBM chief bewails sustained negative criticism vs Marawi rehab

QUEZON CITY, Oct. 20 - Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM) Chairman and Secretary Eduardo Del Rosario is lamenting the sustained negative criticism against government-led efforts to fully rehabilitate.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsOct 20th, 2020

TFBM chief: Marawi to be modern, vibrant Islamic city

MARAWI CITY, Oct. 17 (PIA) - Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM) Chairman and Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development Secretary Eduardo Del Rosario envisions Marawi to be a modern and vib.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsOct 20th, 2020

Power, water system projects up in Marawi City

MARAWI CITY, Oct 18 (PIA) - Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM) Chairman and Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development (DHSUD) Secretary Eduardo D. Del Rosario said the government is workin.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsOct 20th, 2020

Ex-Comelec chief Melo passes away

Former Commission on Elections (Comelec) chairman Jose Melo died on Sunday. He was 88......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 19th, 2020

STATEMENT of Presidential Peace Adviser Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the passing of MNLF Chair Yusop H. Jikiri

Inna Lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’un. Verily we belong to Allah, and verily to Him do we return. Just an hour before midnight yesterday, we all lost a beacon of peace in the Bangsamoro — Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) Chairman Yusop Jikiri. On behalf of the men and women of the Office of the […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsOct 19th, 2020

STATEMENT of Deputy Speaker Mujiv Hataman on the death of MNLF chair Yusoph Jikiri

We are deeply saddened by the sudden loss of a great revolutionary and freedom fighter of our time. Our hearts mourn the death of MNLF Chairman Yusoph Jikiri, and his untimely departure will be felt across the lands of the Bangsamoro. Chairman Jikiri was also a former governor and representative of the province of Sulu. […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  mindanewsRelated NewsOct 19th, 2020

Marawi’s power, water supply back in 2 weeks

Three years after the liberation of Marawi from Maute bandits, power and water supply will soon be restored in areas in the city that were hit hard by the siege in 2017, Task Force Bangon Marawi chairman Eduardo del Rosario said over the weekend......»»

Category: newsSource:  philstarRelated NewsOct 19th, 2020

MMC mulls 12-3 a.m. curfew hours for Simbang Gabi

The Metro Manila Council (MMC) is eyeing a shortened curfew for Metro Manila from 12 midnight to 3 a.m. to allow the observance of Simbang Gabi or evening masses. In an interview over radio, MMC Chairman Edwin Olivarez said this will allow the Catholic Church to offer more masses to those who will be attending […] The post MMC mulls 12-3 a.m. curfew hours for Simbang Gabi appeared first on Daily Tribune......»»

Category: newsSource:  tribuneRelated NewsOct 19th, 2020

Barangay chairman nilikida

Patay ang isang kapitan ng barangay matapos itong tambangan ng hindi pa kilalang salarin at barilin sa ulo, sa bayan ng Echague, Isabela nitong Sabado ng hapon. The post Barangay chairman nilikida first appeared on Abante......»»

Category: newsSource:  abanteRelated NewsOct 19th, 2020

Babies have rights

 #ASKGOYO Atty. Gregorio Larrazabal Quoted below is the statement of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines: “The tragic death of 3-month-old Baby River highlights the need to do MORE, BETTER, FASTER in the justice sector quoted below is the statement of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines: “Baby River was born at the Fabella Medical Center on July 1, 2020.  Her mother, urban poor organizer Reina Mae Nasino, 23 years old, is a detainee at the Manila City Jail Female Dormitory who was arrested on November 5, 2019 at the Tondo office of Bagong Alyansang Makabayan.  The police raids that resulted in the arrests of over 60 activists in Metro Manila and Bacolod were by virtue of various warrants issued by the RTC Branch 89 in Quezon City.  Reina Mae and two others were charged with illegal possession of firearms and explosives, a non-bailable offense. “Despite questions raised against the validity of the raids and arrests as well as petitions for the release of Reina Mae on health and humanitarian grounds or for continued breast-feeding, the frail and underweight Baby River was separated from her mother barely a month after birth. “The case went through RTC Manila Branch 20, the Supreme Court, back to RTC Branch 20, then RTC branch 42 and RTC Branch 37, and the Court of Appeals, until Baby River died on Oct. 12, 2020. “Manila RTC Branch 47 finally allowed Reina Mae furlough – this time to visit her dead daughter.  Despite many fully armed BJMP escorts, police and military personnel monitoring and accompanying Reina Mae, she remained hand-cuffed while at the wake. “The heartbreaking and brief life-story of Baby River compel us to raise these questions: “1. Why can’t our justice system safeguard the needs and rights of an innocent child to breastfeeding and a better chance to survive? “2. Why don’t our jails have adequate facilities to address the needs and rights of children and women detainees duly recognized by domestic and international law? “3. Why does it take so long to respect, protect, and fulfill human rights? “4. Isn’t there double standard when “bigger” detainees are allowed similar or even greater privileges? “5. Can we not have justice with compassion? “Let our concern, dismay, or rage and the tears that we may shed for Baby River Nasino fuel our collective determination and action to improve our justice system.  Let not our innocent children fall under the cracks.  Babies have rights and we have duties to nurture them.  Let our humanity rise above our personal comforts or the privileges of power.” DOMINGO EGON CAYOSA National President & Chairman of the Board of Governors *** We can talk about the law legal processes, and I’m sure many will.  But at the crux of all this should be:“What is it to be human?” Have we sunk so low that we’ve lost our humanity?  Have we forgotten what it is that separates us from animals?  Have we been numb to peoples’ suffering and death? Have we been stripped of our sense of morality and compassion that we have lost our appreciation of what is right and wrong?  People have discussed the trampled rights of the mother of the infant.  But what about the rights of the baby?  Stripping the legalese of the tragedy, we have to ask: What about the basic needs of the baby, as emphasized by the statement of the IBP?  There is no justification to being deprived of the love and care his mother, and the warmth of her embrace. The soothing voice to say she’s going to get better, and she’s loved…  Have we regressed to a point that we’ve been stripped of our empathy? More than the legality of this.  After the furor will have died down, and it surely will, I think we have to ask ourselves, “Where are we now?”  How low have we sunk and how to we get back up and regain some sense of decency? My heart broke when I saw pictures of Reina Mae Nasino covered in PPE, in handcuffs, unable to even hug her dead baby one last time.  I still cannot understand the inhumanity towards not only the mother, but the baby, who had done no one wrong, yet was treated with so much hate, disrespect, contempt, and derision for her to be born in this world, yet stripped and deprived of human love and affection.  I can never hate anyone that much to treat him or her so badly. I think we need to dig deep within ourselves and search our soul.  To find the humanity which has clearly been missing.  We need to find our moral compass, before we all lose our soul and drown in the abyss. Stay Safe.  Pray for Baby River.  Pray for OUR country......»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsOct 18th, 2020