Advertisements


Carcar lays down rules for celebrating city’s fiesta

CARCAR CITY, Philippines — The City Government of Carcar in the southern part of Cebu will allow devotees from other local government units (LGUs), who will be visiting the city during the fiesta celebration of its patron saint, St. Catherine of Alexandria, from November 24-25, 2020. In her executive order (EO) No. 101 series of […] The post Carcar lays down rules for celebrating city’s fiesta appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource: inquirer inquirerNov 22nd, 2020

Carcar lays down rules for celebrating city’s fiesta

CARCAR CITY, Philippines — The City Government of Carcar in the southern part of Cebu will allow devotees from other local government units (LGUs), who will be visiting the city during the fiesta celebration of its patron saint, St. Catherine of Alexandria, from November 24-25, 2020. In her executive order (EO) No. 101 series of […] The post Carcar lays down rules for celebrating city’s fiesta appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 22nd, 2020

Man City completes sweep of English trophies with FA Cup win

By Rob Harris, Associated Press LONDON (AP) — Manchester City swept aside Watford to complete the first clean sweep of English men's football trophies. The fourth piece of silverware of the season was sealed by four different scorers in the FA Cup final at Wembley Stadium on Saturday. Raheem Sterling and Gabriel Jesus netted twice and David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne also scored as Watford was humiliated 6-0. Victory for Pep Guardiola's side came a week after the Premier League trophy was retained to join the League Cup and Community Shield already in City's possession. "What a season," City captain Vincent Kompany said. "What a tremendous club." But the unprecedented achievement by football's costliest squad comes against the backdrop of investigations into City's compliance into football's spending rules that could lead to the Abu Dhabi-owned team being banned from the Champions League. More than $1 billion has been spent on transfer fees alone since 2008 when Sheikh Mansour bought a team that was more accustomed to playing in lower leagues than lifting trophies. It wasn't until 2011 that City ended a 35-year trophy drought by winning the FA Cup. Now City is the undisputed power of English football — a status it claimed from neighbor Manchester United. "It's one of the best seasons I have experienced as a manager," said Guardiola, who won titles previously at Barcelona and Bayern Munich. Watford was contesting its first cup final in 35 years and never had a look in after Roberto Pereyra was denied by goalkeeper Ederson of the chance to snatch a shock lead in the 11th minute. Not long after, Watford fans were made to endure City players celebrating in front of them. After Abdoulaye Doucoure gave the ball away, City broke forward and Sterling headed through for David Silva to strike into the net. City's other Silva — Bernardo — was the provider of the second in the 38th, chipping to the far post where Gabriel Jesus diverted the ball into an empty net. Sterling ensured it crossed the line but his Brazilian teammate was credited with the goal. The onslaught came in the second half with De Bruyne exerting his influence after coming off the bench. The Belgian netted in the 61st, receiving the ball from Gabriel Jesus, who had combined with Sterling. Gabriel Jesus found the net seven minutes later after being released by De Bruyne's throughball, sliding past Heurelho Gomes after the goalkeeper came off his line. Then the record-equaling final victory margin came from a double inside six minutes from Sterling, who grew up near Wembley and has a tattoo of the stadium's arch. The Football Writers' Association player of the year tapped in after latching onto Bernardo Silva's cross in the 81st, and met the rebound after Gomes pushed his initial shot onto the post. "It just shows what the manager's building here," Sterling said. "At the start of the season he said, 'Let's try and get the mentality right and go for the Premier League again,' and we've done that again, exceptionally well. "It's a credit to all the boys, being mentally switched on throughout the season which has been long with the World Cup as well. Everyone's been focused and on their A game the whole way through.".....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsMay 19th, 2019

Devotees told to emulate the virtues of St. Joseph

MANDAUE CITY, Philippines— Stay humble and be obedient. Archbishop Osvald Padilla, the Papal Nuncio Emeritus to South Korea, asked Mandauehanons to emulate the virtues of St. Joseph the worker, who is celebrating his annual feast today, May 8. Padilla, who officiated the 10 a.m. fiesta Mass at the National Shrine of St. Joseph in Mandaue […] The post Devotees told to emulate the virtues of St. Joseph appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsMay 8th, 2019

Guardiola sounds tetchy but City exit doesn't seem imminent

ROB HARRIS, AP Global Soccer Writer br /> LONDON (AP) — Only six months into his Manchester City reign, Pep Guardiola has sounded tetchy and strained by the demands of English soccer. And the 45-year-old already seems to be counting down to his departure. Not just from City and the English Premier League but soccer completely. 'Manchester City is three years or maybe longer but I am still approaching at the end of my career like a manager,' Guardiola said in broken English in an interview with American network NBC taped in early December but only broadcast last week. 'I am pretty sure of that.' But the end is not imminent. Before City scrambles to start the search for a successor, Guardiola is clearly not planning an immediate escape from Manchester however chilly he is finding his first English winter. 'I will not be a trainer @ 60 or 65 years old,' Guardiola stated, looking ahead to the 2030s. And within City there is no sense Guardiola is taking his eye off the challenge of bringing the Premier League trophy back to the Etihad for the first time since 2014. Guardiola, who was particularly testy after Monday's league win over Burnley, is quickly discovering just how tough the competition is. City has opened the second half of the season in third place and is seven points behind leader Chelsea, which also has a game in hand, while Manchester United is only three points further back in sixth. Unlike in his previous jobs at Barcelona and Bayern Munich, there's no guarantee of a trophy at the end of Guardiola's first season and the comments to NBC will create uncertainty, if unintended, about his commitment to City. It is curious for anyone to announce so early into any job that they are already thinking about their departure. Even more so when you have been pursued for so long by City, which installed former Barcelona executives to make the club more appealing to Guardiola. But when City managed to land Guardiola, the club knew it was hiring someone not interested in long-term projects. Guardiola won a trio of Spanish titles and two Champions League crowns with Barcelona between 2008 and 2012 before vacating the Camp Nou dugout. Three seasons at Bayern Munich, collecting another trio of domestic titles, were enough for Guardiola before taking up a new challenge in Manchester. Guardiola might be obsessive when in a job, but he is not addicted to soccer or the limelight. Between the Barcelona and Bayern jobs, he was content to take a year's sabbatical living in New York. And in the United States, Guardiola was fascinated by an apparent 'American culture' in the workplace. 'People are not staying in the same place for a long time,' he said. 'They move a lot and I believe in that.' Guardiola's soccer aura has faded in England, with City's four league losses more than any rival in the top six. The latest impediment in the title pursuit was inflicted by Liverpool as former Bundesliga rival Juergen Klopp got the better of Guardiola. In Guardiola's first taste of the packed festive program in English soccer, City was back in action inside 48 hours on Monday. The game against Burnley started badly with Fernandinho being sent off but 10-man City did manage to claim a 2-1 victory. Rather than celebrating, Guardiola gave curt post-match interviews where he sounded irritated with the line of questioning about City's disciplinary problems and the interview about his future. It was far from a meltdown as Guardiola has to operate within the constraints of Football Association rules that restrict how coaches can talk about referees. A frustrated Guardiola talked about 'special rules' in England, reflecting how he is still getting accustomed to how soccer laws are interpreted by Premier League referees, rather than criticizing their quality. 'I have to adapt,' Guardiola said. Perhaps, Guardiola has sensed the glee that seems to greet each setback in England and claims his coaching reputation is reliant on being fortunate to have Lionel Messi among his Barcelona talents. Far from being egotistical, Guardiola accepts he is 'not exceptional.' 'I was lucky to train outstanding players in a big club,' he said. 'If I would have trained lower teams than Barcelona and Bayern Munich I would not have won this amount of incredible titles I have won. For the people who believe Pep comes here and City's going to win. No.' And no, Guardiola isn't already packing his bags and heading for Manchester Airport. Guardiola was quoted across British media on Tuesday as telling NBC that 'the process of my goodbye has already started' — a comment that never featured in the broadcast interview. The headlines, though, will do little to dispel the notion that Guardiola's dedication to City is wavering. ___ Rob Harris is at www.twitter.com/RobHarris and www.facebook.com/RobHarrisReports .....»»

Category: sportsSource:  abscbnRelated NewsJan 4th, 2017

‘BIFF bomber’ killed in Cotabato City shootout

KILLED IN SHOOTOUT. Suspected bomber Abraham Abad Abdulrahman lays dead inside his hideout following a predawn shootout with authorities in Barangay Bagua 2, Cotabato City on Tuesday (Dec. 1, 2020). A report from the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group says the suspect was one of those who planned and carried out the Dec. 31, 2018 […].....»»

Category: newsSource:  balitaRelated News17 hr. 18 min. ago

‘Pit Señor sa mga way uyab kini” viral story online

    CEBU CITY, Philippines— If you are a devotee of the Señor Sto. Niño you’d know why most of the devotees would prefer to attend the last scheduled Mass of the novena masses leading to His fiesta celebration. That’s because of the short traditional Sinulog dance that happens after the mass. This is when […] The post ‘Pit Señor sa mga way uyab kini” viral story online appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 25th, 2020

Lapu police probe E.O. violators during fiesta

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines– The Lapu-Lapu City Police Office (LCPO) is now investigating the video that was posted on Facebook, which reportedly violated the Executive Order (E.O.) of Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan that prohibits Oponganons from inviting visitors during the fiesta celebration of the Virgen dela Regla on Saturday, November 21, 2020. Police Colonel Arnel Banzon, […] The post Lapu police probe E.O. violators during fiesta appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 25th, 2020

Gov t lays out strategy for COVID-19 mass immunization

QUEZON CITY, Nov 24 (PIA) --The government will prioritize inoculating areas with high caseloads of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) as the country gears towards mass immunization against the fas.....»»

Category: newsSource:  philippinetimesRelated NewsNov 24th, 2020

Police apprehend 150 people during Lapu-Lapu fiesta

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines — Around 150 individuals were apprehended by the Lapu-Lapu City Police Office (LCPO) on Saturday, November 21, 2020, for violating the health and safety protocols during the city’s fiesta celebration in honor of its partroness, Virgin dela Regla. Police Colonel Arnel Banzon, city director of LCPO, told CDN Digital that of this […] The post Police apprehend 150 people during Lapu-Lapu fiesta appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 22nd, 2020

Girl with relapsed cancer appeals for help

A six-year-old girl from Barangay Napo, Carcar City, Cebu earnestly appeals for financial help as she strives to win her fight against cancer. Grace Emerald Cabato was diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma on July 20, 2019. Three months before her diagnosis, her parents noted that her abdomen was increasing in size. She was losing weight too. Her […] The post Girl with relapsed cancer appeals for help appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 20th, 2020

Chan orders police to monitor residential areas during fiesta

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines- Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan has ordered the Philippine National Police (PNP) to deploy personnel who will be roving around residential areas across the city during the fiesta celebration of the Virgen Dela Regla from November 20-21, 2020. Chan said that the move is to ensure that Oponganons are compliant with […] The post Chan orders police to monitor residential areas during fiesta appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 18th, 2020

Delos Santos rules two more online karate tiffs; gold medal haul now at 21

Filipino World No. 1 James delos Santos continued his gold medal harvest as he topped the Okinawa e-Tournament World Series and the Nox Dojo Markham City Open in succession over the weekend......»»

Category: sportsSource:  philstarRelated NewsNov 16th, 2020

Lapu officials mull incorporating motorcade in future Virgen dela Regla fiestas

  LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines- The Lapu-Lapu City Government wants to continue holding the motorcade in future fiesta celebrations of the Virgen Dela Regla. Lapu-Lapu City Tourism Cultural and Historical Affairs chairperson Cindi Chan said this after the activity gained positive feedbacks from Oponganons. “We would probably go back gyud sa naandan gyud, but I will […] The post Lapu officials mull incorporating motorcade in future Virgen dela Regla fiestas appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 12th, 2020

Lapu mayor reminds public: Liquor ban still in effect

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Cebu—Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan is reminding the public that the liquor ban in the city is still in effect, even during the fiesta celebration in honor of Our Lady of the Rule on November 20 and 21, 2020. Chan gave this reminder on Wednesday, November 11, 2020, as the city continues to […] The post Lapu mayor reminds public: Liquor ban still in effect appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 11th, 2020

Virgen dela Regla transferred to Lapu City Hall for overnight vigil

LAPU-LAPU CITY, Philippines- The image of the Virgen Dela Regla was already transferred to the Lapu-Lapu City Hall this afternoon, November 11, 2020, where it will stay overnight in preparation for tomorrow’s motorcade. The motorcade will replace the fluvial procession of the image which used to signal the start of its fiesta celebration in previous […] The post Virgen dela Regla transferred to Lapu City Hall for overnight vigil appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 11th, 2020

No Devotee City for Fiesta Señor 2021

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Since visitors from outside Cebu City aren’t expected for the Fiesta Señor 2021 due to the continuous threat of the COVID-19, the city government has decided not to put up the Devotee City next year. Mayor Edgardo Labella announced this on Tuesday, November 10, 2020. This came after the Basilica Minore […] The post No Devotee City for Fiesta Señor 2021 appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 10th, 2020

NLEX vows to continue dialogues with Pampanga quarry truckers

CITY OF SAN FERNANDO, Pampanga (PNA) – The North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) Corporation is assuring the motoring public that concerns about legal load limits being raised by motorists and truckers are taken seriously by the management. The statement came after Pampanga quarry-based haulers barricaded several NLEX interchanges on Saturday morning in protest of the temporary rerouting of 12-wheeler dump trucks. The NLEX, in its statement, said it was compelled to temporarily regulate the entry of perennially overloaded 12-wheeler dump trucks for safety reasons while major rehabilitation of the five-kilometer Candaba Viaduct was ongoing. The reconstruction and rehabilitation of the 35-year-old Manila-bound carriageway of the Candaba Viaduct started last August. Before the project’s implementation, the tollway company said it reached out to the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), Department of Transportation (DOTr), Toll Regulatory Board (TRB), Pampanga Governor Dennis Pineda’s office, and the mayors of San Fernando, San Simon, Apalit in Pampanga, Calumpit, Pulilan, Malolos, and Guiguinto in Bulacan, the affected trucking groups, and the Pampanga Chamber of Commerce to highlight the urgency of repairing the Candaba Viaduct to assure its long-term viability as a vital road link between North and Central Luzon and Metro Manila. The NLEX also said that it issued public advisories that the reconstruction will require the closure of certain lanes and the implementation of temporary counter-flow traffic measures. To assuage the concerns of the affected quarry-based truckers and haulers, the NLEX said dialogues are ongoing to demonstrate proper and compliant procedures for loading their trucks. The NLEX currently implements the load limits provisions of R.A. 8794 and the Joint DOTr-DPWH Implementing Rules and Regulations revised in 2012 which sets the maximum load limits for trucks nationwide. .....»»

Category: newsSource:  mb.com.phRelated NewsNov 8th, 2020

What not to expect in Sinulog 2021: Floats, higantes, stalls

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Sinulog 2021 going virtual will mean a lot of changes for Cebuanos, who have developed a fiesta tradition associated with the grand parade and the street dancing. There will be no need for activities that will naturally draw crowds or will involve people being confined in tight spaces because the […] The post What not to expect in Sinulog 2021: Floats, higantes, stalls appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 6th, 2020

Jealous man drags girlfriend, jumps off 30-meter deep cliff in Carcar

CEBU CITY, Philippines — A jealous 25-year-old man, who was desperate to have his 21-year-old common-law wife to quit her job and return home with him to Balamban town, decided to end it all by jumping off a cliff in Carcar City and dragging along with him his startled partner. Fortunately, both survived the fall from […] The post Jealous man drags girlfriend, jumps off 30-meter deep cliff in Carcar appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 5th, 2020

Birhen sa Regla fluvial procession canceled

CEBU CITY, Philippines- The Nuestra Señora de Regla-Parish National Shrine in Lapu-lapu City has canceled the fluvial procession of the image of the Nuestra Señora de Regla this year in line with its fiesta celebration on November 20-21 due to the pandemic. Fr. Bernard Corpuz, parish priest of the Nuestra Señora de Regla-Parish National Shrine, […] The post Birhen sa Regla fluvial procession canceled appeared first on Cebu Daily News......»»

Category: newsSource:  inquirerRelated NewsNov 4th, 2020